Cap Space

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Re: Cap Space

Savard ,I believe, is allready signed, which is why the bruins need to keep his $4 mil available until he plays or goes on LTD. Certainly the rigors of pre-season will provide everyone with the answers. does anyone know how long insurance will pay? Is it equal to length of contract = 7 yrs. ? Is it an automatic deal if he just doesn'y pay? What happens if he " retires" ? i thought that after he went down for good, someone stated that insurance now paid his salary. Are there any caveats ?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinsforever. Show Bruinsforever's posts

I'm OK to start the season with the roster we have (with or without Savard)

Keep the cap space in bank for now. No need to spend money

Rental players usually aren't always the solution before trade deadline so I wouldn't count much on that

The cap space will be very useful during the course of the season or next summer if they can extend Krecji's contract and also probably Rask.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Cap Space:
    In Response to Re: Cap Space : The two most important free agents being Krejci and Rask ( RFA's ). Another RFA is Pouliot . After that there are a few to decide on whether they stay or go. UFA's Kelly , Peverly , Campbell , Paille , Corvo , Boychuk and Thornton. For me Thornton must be signed for no other reason then not being able to read about the bi - weekly thread regarding the hockey playing jester. I can't get enough of everybody's repetitive thoughts on this. http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=5
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

And I can't get enough of you always trying to pick a fight with me, and then crying when I bring up the last time you did.

Back off, or you'll be backed off...again.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Cap Space : And I can't get enough of you always trying to pick a fight with me, and then crying when I bring up the last time you did. Back off, or you'll be backed off...again.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

You need to ignore me. Please put me on your list because your ranting is taking away from our hockey talk.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Cap Space : That would be cool.  I hope he comes back.  Just don't get injured again.  I think no Ryder bodes well for Savard.  He won't have to have him on his line anymore.   Let's not make the same mistake again.  I wanted to put McGrattan on Savard's line last year.  Can we bring in a goon that is more insane than Thornton, and put him on Savard's left wing?  I would put a scoring threat on his right wing (maybe Seguin) My other recommendation for Savards line would be to put new players with him.  Let him start fresh.  Seguin, Campbell, Peverley, Kelly.  These would be the candidates. 
    Posted by mattc355

No.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

In Response to Re: Cap Space : No.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

NAS, you're so undecided! LOL

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Marc Savard is done.  He was terrible last year.  If he comes back he would probably need a year to get his skill up to par, and at 35 up to par wouldn't be as good as DK or PB. There is no point in the Bruins committing a roster space to him at this point.  If he wants to play, the Bruins should send him to the minors.
    Posted by OatesCam

I agree....he's done.  Also agreed, last year at this time....TT was probably done.  So what do I know?
    If he chooses to come back.....I really hope he proves me wrong.....either way, he certainly won't go to the minors.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

The obsession with Cap Space drives me mental.  I would go so far as to say that if you are yearning for the Bruins to have cap space, you might as well cheer for them to lose.
    Posted by Bookboy007

Book...you're so much more animated than you used to be.
    I really like that.

Unfortunately, these boards are getting quite predictable.

I'm incredibly happy the B's won the cup....but I'm not cocky enough to think that if the playoffs started again today they'd repeat.  In Frazier Crane terms, "we won the tournament"....but that means diddly moving forward.  We could also easily miss the playoffs next year.

This fan is really concerned about next year.  Not panicing...just concerned.  The company is probably focused on profit..., and guys like Ryder and Kaberle need to be replaced in order to find 94 points moving forward.  It may come from within, maybe not, but somehow, they need to be replaced.  Nothing would suggest that's been done yet.  Maybe the first couple of months into next year will show that someone is stepping up.....but right now...we're down 2 important positions.

I agree cap space is nothing, especially if we don't know the company is willing to part with it.

Last March...everyone was calling the Bruins a good team.  Few were calling them elite.  Sometimes good teams win the cup.  They never repeat though.  That's the domain of great teams.  The B's are a piece or three away from that.
    We don't need to look back very far to see reality.  Best offensive team....worse offensive team...all within 12 months.  Things do change.
      We got lots to boast about today...but................
    Having a ton of cap space does not make you a better team...it doesn't even make you potentially better.  In fact...on it's own merit, it's simply an accounting thing. 

As someone stated,...PC was a few mil over the cap this time last year.  That should pretty much prove the importance of cap space in July.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I felt last years team was among the best in the league with a real shot at winning.  I feel this years team is slightly better and more proven/mentally tough.  I am very pleased with where they are, so I am happy they are keeping cap space available for when they need it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

In Response to Re: Cap Space : Actually, I'll take option 2 because option 2 involves having a plan to improve the team in which one consideration is figuring out how to remain cap compliant.  Option 1 is a guy with money burning a hole in his pocket.  It says nothing about whether real options exist that the money would help address, and that's the kind of thinking that leads to stupid, one off manouvers.  If all things are equal prior to this statement and you're asking me only whether it's easier to make your planned moves and remain cap compliant if you have a $10M cushion, then yeah, option 1 sounds easier.  But only in rare circumstances - usually the result of terrible injury luck or the team's own mistakes - would I concede that option 1 necessarily leads to more success.  And I certainly wouldn't say it's the kind of necessary pre-condition of success that makes you want to cultivate the situation. 1. Have a plan, have a back up plan, have options. 2a. Look for realistic opportunities to upgrade your roster.  Consider the impact on your cap and the possible affect on the roster if you need to make moves to create space (i.e. see the whole picture). 2b. Make timely moves to upgrade the roster when the opportunities arise. 3. Ensure that you aren't over the Cap. If you invert that order, you're putting the cart before the horse.  I think there are a lot of losing teams out there that are run this way.  And they will continue to be losing teams. That's why I say that if you're obsessed with Cap Space, you might as well cheer for them to lose.  It's just as bass-ackward.
    Posted by Bookboy007

Pretty well sums up my opinions on the matter.

Sections
Shortcuts