Cap to increase to 64 million!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from john-88. Show john-88's posts

Cap to increase to 64 million!

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=369480

With the National Hockey League Entry Draft less than a week away and the potential for trades escalating this week and next with the free agency period looming, the salary cap will be going up by nearly $5 million next season.

Clubs and agents are being told next year's salary cap will be set at an upper limit of $64 million with a floor of $48 million.

During the 2010-11 season, the salary cap had an upper limit of $59.4 million.

The league's cap - entering its seven season under the current collective bargaining agreement - has risen every year since the end of the NHL lockout when the cap was set at $39-million.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonicator. Show Olsonicator's posts

Re: Cap to increase to 64 million!

Great news :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Good year to be a UFA, Kaberle & Ryder should cash in.

Extra $5M to spend gives PC some additional Cap flexibility, a little over $12M now, inclusive of Savard's contract.

Step 1: Lock-up and extend Marchand

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

^Agreed on Marchand!

PC, NOW GO GET BROOKS LAICH!!! HE IS THE PERFECT FIT FOR THIS TEAM!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

Brooks Laich is gonna be a happy guy with this news, as there are about 7 teams that will come after him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

A growing cap is good when you are a champ with players to sign but most under contract.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

More than a few GMs are breathing a sigh of relief ... and hitting panic buttons at the same time.  (Okay, not really, they probably knew about how much it would go up for months.)

Given the seeming paucity of good UFAs this season, there could be some serious bidding wars.  Even though the Bruins have a good amount of space (pending bonus penalties and Savard's decision), that probably places most of the best ones out of their price range.  Given the whole "we are the champions!" thing, that's not likely a problem.

It does put a new perspective on the Flyers with Bryzgalov.  They will still probably make moves to fit him in, but perhaps only minor moves will be needed.  That could be a scary team.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

i think this is actually bad news for the bruins

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

If the floor is $48M, one of the most interesting things to watch are the teams trying to spend to that floor.

Florida has only $18.2M committed to next year, with only 11 players under contract.  It will interesting to watch them spend $30M.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

In Response to Re: Cap to increase to 64 million!:
    i think this is actually bad news for the bruins
    Posted by thedauber1

I don't know if it's "bad" news, but I think it's better news for teams who have been looking at the reality of dropping a couple of players (like, say, the Canadiens). With so many guys signed and no UFA's outside of Ryder and Kaberle (who they may not want back anyway), this really doesn't affect Boston as much as it does other teams who may end up stronger because of this development. If this were a FA market with more blue-chippers, I'd feel differently, but it's not.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

More than a few GMs are breathing a sigh of relief ... and hitting panic buttons at the same time.  (Okay, not really, they probably knew about how much it would go up for months.) Given the seeming  paucity  of good UFAs this season, there could be some serious bidding wars.  Even though the Bruins have a good amount of space (pending bonus penalties and Savard's decision), that probably places most of the best ones out of their price range.  Given the whole "we are the champions!" thing, that's not likely a problem. It does put a new perspective on the Flyers with Bryzgalov.  They will still probably make moves to fit him in, but perhaps only minor moves will be needed.  That could be a scary team.
    Posted by DrCC

Agreed on the new perspective. Rather than a Carter, it could very well just be Versteeg being shipped (he'd still be an RFA after next year, I believe). With that being said, they will still need to majorly CRUNCH numbers under the Cap (as in fill the 3 open forward spots with $700K or so players). Also, even if that happens, they'd only be $1M or so under the cap and it would hamper their ability to make moves at the deadline (to a degree) and give JVR a HEALTHY (as in a $2M or so) raise, as he is scheduled to become an RFA in 2012.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Garth Snow and Charles Wang have to be POd that the cap floor is going up so high LoL! Money mouth

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeg4. Show jeg4's posts

If the cap goes up, it just means salaries will inflate.  Now you will have to pay 3.5-4m to resign Ryder instead of 2.5

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Garth Snow and Charles Wang have to be POd that the cap floor is going up so high LoL!
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

Funny San, they already have 17 players under contract and only at $36.8M.  Still need to spend another $11M+, good luck with that.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

this IS bad news....it just bailed out philly big time. we would be in good shape with the cap not going up at all

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Cap to increase to 64 million! : Funny San, they already have 17 players under contract and only at $36.8M.  Still need to spend another $11M+, good luck with that.
    Posted by Crowls2424

Charles is probably on the phone with Bettman right now scolding him "What the heck is going on around here I'm trying to get Nassau County to think I have no money!"...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ddd112273. Show ddd112273's posts

Who cares if philly signs bryz, we still have Thomas, also have enough to get a couple of reaaly good players. I do give a $ hit about the other teams, I want another cup!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Anyone seen any peeps recently about the bonus cushion?  As it stands now it won't be there I think?

A CBA extension could make a big difference for teams near the cap.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

Who cares if philly signs bryz, we still have Thomas, also have enough to get a couple of reaaly good players. I do give a $ hit about the other teams, I want another cup!!
    Posted by ddd112273

ummmmmm you have to beat other teams to win the cup last i checked

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In Response to Re: Cap to increase to 64 million! : ummmmmm you have to beat other teams to win the cup last i checked
    Posted by thedauber1

This news shouldn't be a huge surprise to anyone, many estimates had the Cap jumping up to $62.5 - 63.5M.  The fact that the number appears to be $64M is not a game-changer to where we were last week.  Philly still has Cap pressure that they will have to navigate.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

this gives Peter all the room he needs. IMO only, we could see no action on either Ryder or Kaberle for a while; Boychuck should have a new home; don't think Thorny will make the team once training camp evolves, Caron is too strong;So Peter's goals shoud be; Pitkanen or Brewer plus; a true sniper, although Seguin has progressed, and is a natural offensive player; Thomas, Tuuka, Khudoban provides more than enough skill set, but Claude will need to alternate much more frequently or Tuuka could bolt. Claude is justifiably wallowing in winning the cup, but we have observed his mistakes up close, and decision making is not his strongest attribute.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

Good and bad news for the Bruins.  Steven Stamkos will be looking for a max contract (or close to it).  Someone will sign him to a HUGE offer sheet.

If Shea Weber, Steven Stamkos, Brad Richards, Zach Bogosian and Kieth Yandle sign monster deals this offseason, then how much will we have to pay David Krejci and Tuukka Rask next year (both will be RFAs)?  

Johnny Boychuk, Chris Kelly, Rich Peverly, Gregory Campbell, Daniel Paille and Shawn Thornton will all be UFAs after 2011-2012 and might all need a bump in salary to stick around.

I think that the Salary Cap going up is even more reason to extend David Krejci, Brad Marchand and some of the 3rd/4th liners right now.

I think that we should pursue some one year deals (Simon Gagne, Jason Arnott, Ed Jovanovski) for older players who want to prove that they can stay healthy in 2011-2012.  Then those players will fall off the books when we need to resign the guys from our current roster.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

Good and bad news for the Bruins.  Steven Stamkos will be looking for a max contract (or close to it).  Someone will sign him to a HUGE offer sheet. If Shea Weber, Steven Stamkos, Brad Richards, Zach Bogosian and Kieth Yandle sign monster deals this offseason, then how much will we have to pay David Krejci and Tuukka Rask next year (both will be RFAs)?   Johnny Boychuk, Chris Kelly, Rich Peverly, Gregory Campbell, Daniel Paille and Shawn Thornton will all be UFAs after 2011-2012 and might all need a bump in salary to stick around. I think that the Salary Cap going up is even more reason to extend David Krejci, Brad Marchand and some of the 3rd/4th liners right now. I think that we should pursue some one year deals (Simon Gagne, Jason Arnott, Ed Jovanovski) for older players who want to prove that they can stay healthy in 2011-2012.  Then those players will fall off the books when we need to resign the guys from our current roster.
    Posted by Bigpapa1977

well david krejci isn't a free agent....so how are you planning on re-signing him? where do we have room for a ed jovanovski? none of that really makes sense

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

This doesn't really help anyone but the teams that are up against it.  The big benefit is to the players.  The roster spots don't increase, just what each slot can earn across the board.

Good for the players.  No change for the fans.

Weren't ticket prices supposed to come down with the cap?  Weren't small market teams supposed to be better?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

I think this gives B's even more reason to pursue some bigger fish (Parise esque).  If we remove Savvy's cap hit, plus the $7.5M there already, we have over $15 M in space.  That can certainly be the resign of marchand plus another big time player on this cup roster, we would be scary with a Parise or Yandle in this same lineup.  Even with one of those two guys, we still end up with plenty of space to sign ryder or Kaberle if necessary, and have plenty of cap space and flexibility for 2012 off season.

Sections
Shortcuts