Cap to increase to 64 million!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

Re: Cap to increase to 64 million!

well david krejci isn't a free agent....so how are you planning on re-signing him? where do we have room for a ed jovanovski? none of that really makes sense

I didn't say that we should sign David Krejci, I said that we should extend him, as in, extend his contract.

My point was, that if we wait until after next year to extend/resign David Krejci, then he will point to the Stamkos/Richards deals as comps.  So, if they sign 7-8 million per year deals, then why wouldn't DK ask for 6 or 6.5 million per year (or more)?  BUT, if we sign him to an extension soon (maybe 5 years/28 million), BEFORE he becomes a RFA, then maybe he would agree to a 'below market' deal.

I think that we will have plenty of money to sign UFAs, especially since the salary cap went up almost 5 million.  Maybe Jovanovski will be willing to accept a one year-make good deal after two injury plagued seasons. I could see him joining the Stanley Cup Champs for a one year, 5-6 million deal.  If we sign a few of the older free agents to one year deals, then we will have their salaries come off the books next summer and we will have money to sign our current roster players(Kelly/Peverly/Campbell/Boychuk) when the become free agents next year (summer of 2012).

If we sign potential UFAs to 2+ year deals, then we will be limited to sign all of our free agents after the year.

I suppose it would have made more sense if I had posted all of this originally....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

2011-2012 Roster

Krejci-Lucic-Horton
    Bergeron-Marchand-Peverly
    Seguin-Simon Gagne (UFA)-Kelly
    Campbell-Jason Arnott (UFA)-Thornton
    ALSO: Daniel Paille -Jordan Caron

Chara-Seidenberg
    Ed Jovanovski (UFA)-Ference
    Boychuk-Kampfer
    ALSO: Adam McQuaid

Thomas
    Rask

Extend David Krejci, five years, 28 million deal
    Sign Brad Marchand to a three year, 8 million deal
    Sign Ed Jovanovski to a one year, 5.5 million deal
    Sign Simon Gagne to a one year, 3.5 million deal
    Sign Jason Arnott to a one year, 2.5 million deal

Marc Savard retires due to repeated concussions.

DRAFT: Ryan Murphy #9 OVERALL on 06/24/2011

WAITING IN THE WINGS:  Jaime Arniel, Ryan Spooner, Jared Knight, Matt Bartkowski, David Warofsky

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Cap to increase to 64 million!:
    [QUOTE]well david krejci isn't a free agent....so how are you planning on re-signing him? where do we have room for a ed jovanovski? none of that really makes sense I didn't say that we should sign David Krejci, I said that we should extend him, as in, extend his contract. My point was, that if we wait until after next year to extend/resign David Krejci, then he will point to the Stamkos/Richards deals as comps.  So, if they sign 7-8 million per year deals, then why wouldn't DK ask for 6 or 6.5 million per year (or more)?  BUT, if we sign him to an extension soon (maybe 5 years/28 million), BEFORE he becomes a RFA, then maybe he would agree to a 'below market' deal. I think that we will have plenty of money to sign UFAs, especially since the salary cap went up almost 5 million.  Maybe Jovanovski will be willing to accept a one year-make good deal after two injury plagued seasons. I could see him joining the Stanley Cup Champs for a one year, 5-6 million deal.  If we sign a few of the older free agents to one year deals, then we will have their salaries come off the books next summer and we will have money to sign our current roster players(Kelly/Peverly/Campbell/Boychuk) when the become free agents next year (summer of 2012). If we sign potential UFAs to 2+ year deals, then we will be limited to sign all of our free agents after the year. I suppose it would have made more sense if I had posted all of this originally....
    Posted by Bigpapa1977[/QUOTE]

1.  Players cannot be extended until the season starts.  This rule was created in honor of Keith Tkachuk to prevent holdouts during contract years.

2. David Krejci isn't in the same league as Stamkos or Richards.  Stamkos finished second in goals, fifth in scoring.  Richards finished 10th in scoring.  Krejci tied for 39th. 

3.  Ed Jovanovski?  In July of '06, he signed an inflated free agent deal, five years, $32.5M.  He missed almost half of THREE OF THE FIVE YEARS.  It's one of the worst contracts out there.  If anyone even offers him a deal, it certainly won't be in the $5-6M range.

4.  I see that your pic/avatar/logo whatever is of the Celtics.  That explains a lot.  Please follow along here for a year and then resume posting when you understand what this is all about.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

1.  Players cannot be extended until the season starts.  This rule was created in honor of Keith Tkachuk to prevent holdouts during contract years.

2. David Krejci isn't in the same league as Stamkos or Richards.  Stamkos finished second in goals, fifth in scoring.  Richards finished 10th in scoring.  Krejci tied for 39th. 

3.  Ed Jovanovski?  In July of '06, he signed an inflated free agent deal, five years, $32.5M.  He missed almost half of THREE OF THE FIVE YEARS.  It's one of the worst contracts out there.  If anyone even offers him a deal, it certainly won't be in the $5-6M range.

4.  I see that your pic/avatar/logo whatever is of the Celtics.  That explains a lot.  Please follow along here for a year and then resume posting when you understand what this is all about.

Hey, tough guy, you need to settle down. 

If I was mistaken about extending David Krejci before the season, my apologies, he should still be the top priority of the summer and should be extended ONE DAY into the 2011-2012 season.

DK will get PAID in his next contract.  Stamkos and Richards are top noch, first line forwards.  DK is ALSO a 1st line forward on a STANLEY CUP CHAMPION, who also happened to LEAD THE STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS in GOALS and POINTS. I would rather have David Krejci for the next five years than Brad Richards.  Krejci is younger and on the rise and does not have the injury concerns that Richards does (read: concussions).  I surmised that Stamkos/Richard would sign for 8/7 million deals, meaning that Krejci would net around 6-6.5 per.  A very reasonable conclusion.

Ed Jovanovski is STILL one of the top free agent defencemen on the market.  I think that he will sign a very nice one year deal.  I say that the deal will be in the 5-6 million range, you say no.  How about we see what happens?  If I am wrong, then I will freely admit it.

I have not changed my avatar since I started posting.  I was at the Garden for banner drop 17, and loved the experience.  I do not feel the need to change it yet, but may choose to do so in the future.

Any more thoughts big guy?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]1.  Players cannot be extended until the season starts.  This rule was created in honor of Keith Tkachuk to prevent holdouts during contract years. 2. David Krejci isn't in the same league as Stamkos or Richards.  Stamkos finished second in goals, fifth in scoring.  Richards finished 10th in scoring.  Krejci tied for 39th.  3.  Ed Jovanovski?  In July of '06, he signed an inflated free agent deal, five years, $32.5M.  He missed almost half of THREE OF THE FIVE YEARS.  It's one of the worst contracts out there.  If anyone even offers him a deal, it certainly won't be in the $5-6M range. 4.  I see that your pic/avatar/logo whatever is of the Celtics.  That explains a lot.  Please follow along here for a year and then resume posting when you understand what this is all about. Hey, tough guy, you need to settle down.  If I was mistaken about extending David Krejci before the season, my apologies, he should still be the top priority of the summer and should be extended ONE DAY into the 2011-2012 season. DK will get PAID in his next contract.  Stamkos and Richards are top noch, first line forwards.  DK is ALSO a 1st line forward on a STANLEY CUP CHAMPION, who also happened to LEAD THE STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS in GOALS and POINTS. I would rather have David Krejci for the next five years than Brad Richards.  Krejci is younger and on the rise and does not have the injury concerns that Richards does (read: concussions).  I surmised that Stamkos/Richard would sign for 8/7 million deals, meaning that Krejci would net around 6-6.5 per.  A very reasonable conclusion. Ed Jovanovski is STILL one of the top free agent defencemen on the market.  I think that he will sign a very nice one year deal.  I say that the deal will be in the 5-6 million range, you say no.  How about we see what happens?  If I am wrong, then I will freely admit it. I have not changed my avatar since I started posting.  I was at the Garden for banner drop 17, and loved the experience.  I do not feel the need to change it yet, but may choose to do so in the future. Any more thoughts big guy?

Krejci isn't in the same league as the other two.  He'll never be Stamkos or even mentioned in the same sentence.  Stamkos is top notch hardcore goal scorer.  Krejci isn't.  Maybe Krejci is in the same breath as Richards in five years.  He's not now.

Jovo is certainly not one of the top free agent defensemen.  He's old and injured and injury prone.  Markov, Kaberle, Brewer, Pitkanen, Bieksa, Salo, Wisniewski, Erhoff, and Ian White are ahead of him in my books.

Anything else I can help you with?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]2011-2012 Roster Krejci-Lucic-Horton Bergeron-Marchand-Peverly Seguin-Simon Gagne (UFA)-Kelly Campbell-Jason Arnott (UFA)-Thornton ALSO: Daniel Paille -Jordan Caron Chara-Seidenberg Ed Jovanovski (UFA)-Ference Boychuk-Kampfer ALSO: Adam McQuaid Thomas Rask Extend David Krejci, five years, 28 million deal Sign Brad Marchand to a three year, 8 million deal Sign Ed Jovanovski to a one year, 5.5 million deal Sign Simon Gagne to a one year, 3.5 million deal Sign Jason Arnott to a one year, 2.5 million deal Marc Savard retires due to repeated concussions. DRAFT: Ryan Murphy #9 OVERALL on 06/24/2011 WAITING IN THE WINGS:  Jaime Arniel, Ryan Spooner, Jared Knight, Matt Bartkowski, David Warofsky

Greg Campbell is a center with Danny Paille on his wing and they do an incredible job together.  Why put Paille in the press box, move Campbell to the wing and spend $4M or close on 36 year old Arnott?

Why would Simon Gagne take a one year deal?

Why spend all that money on Hospital Ed Jovo and put McQuaid in the press box?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cap to increase to 64 million! : Greg Campbell is a center with Danny Paille on his wing and they do an incredible job together.  Why put Paille in the press box, move Campbell to the wing and spend $4M or close on 36 year old Arnott? Why would Simon Gagne take a one year deal? Why spend all that money on Hospital Ed Jovo and put McQuaid in the press box?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Careful NAS, that is a borderline positive comment about McQuaid.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

Krejci isn't in the same league as the other two.  He'll never be Stamkos or even mentioned in the same sentence.  Stamkos is top notch hardcore goal scorer.  Krejci isn't.  Maybe Krejci is in the same breath as Richards in five years.  He's not now.

Jovo is certainly not one of the top free agent defensemen.  He's old and injured and injury prone.  Markov, Kaberle, Brewer, Pitkanen, Bieksa, Salo, Wisniewski, Erhoff, and Ian White are ahead of him in my books.

Anything else I can help you with?

Greg Campbell is a center with Danny Paille on his wing and they do an incredible job together.  Why put Paille in the press box, move Campbell to the wing and spend $4M or close on 36 year old Arnott?

Why would Simon Gagne take a one year deal?

Why spend all that money on Hospital Ed Jovo and put McQuaid in the press box?

We have different point of views on David Krejci and Ed Jovanovski.  I think that Krejci will sign a huge deal and I hope that the Bruins wrap up a deal over the summer and announce it one day into the season.  If you feel that Krejci is not worthy of a contract just a notch below Brad Richards, then I disagree with you.

Ed Jovanovski played 82 games (as in ALL of them) in 2008-2009, 66 games in 2009-2010 and 50 games last year.  When healthy he is a top four defenceman and a borderline all star (he made the all star game in 2007 and 2008).  I like Adam McQuaid, but he is a 6th/7th defenceman.  I would take an often-injured Ed Jovanovski in a HEARTBEAT over Adam McQuaid.  And as a 7th d-man, McQuaid would offer great depth.

We need another veteran centre with the loss of Marc Savard.  I like Jason Arnott as a nice option (at 2.5 million) for depth.  In my above mentioned post, I had Arnott moving over to the wing and Campbell at centre for the 4th line.  I figured that Arnott would provide depth and Paille would be off the bench quite a bit.  I also like having two centres/wings on the 2nd (Bergeron/Peverly), 3rd (Kelly/Seguin) and 4th (Campbell/Arnott) lines.  I like the centres for improved passing and a higher faceoff %.

The NHL season is a battle of attrition, with the more depth the better.  If the Bruins sign Jason Arnott and play him on the 4th line, then that doesn't mean that Daniel Paille sits for 82 games. Someone will be injured during the year and guys who were 13th/14th forwards or 7th/8th defencemen will be intrigal parts to the roster.  See Marchand, McQuaid and Kampfer in 2010-2011.

Gagne is coming off another injury plagued year and might take a one year deal to join the STANLEY CUP CHAMPS - or he may not. My guess is that Tampa Bay will not have the $$$ to resign him and the B's may be able to sign him for a one year deal

My post(s) are just thoughts/projections on the 2011-2012 roster (just like everyone else).  Maybe the Bruins sign all or none of the guys in my post.  I just really like the thought of adding depth to the current roster, while not handcuffing the team to overpriced, LONG TERM deals.

I may be mistaken, but I believe that you want to pencil in Jordan Caron into the rotation over any free agent forwards. What happens when someone goes down due to injury?  Are you going to count on Jaime Arniel or Ryan Spooner to step right in and shine during the Stanley Cup playoffs?  Without the additions of Chris Kelly and Rich Peverly, the Bruins do not win The Cup. The more experienced forwards on the roster, the better.

And there you have it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bear-in-the-woods. Show bear-in-the-woods's posts

Just wanted to clarify a couple things. According to the CBA:

Article 1:

"League Year" means the period from July 1 of one calendar year to and including June 30 of the following calendar year or such other one year period to which the NHL and the NHLPA may agree.

Article 50.5 (f)(ii):

(ii)    A Club that wishes to sign a Player to an "extension" of an existing SPC, may do so only in the final year of such SPC.

The final year of Krejci's existing contract is 2011-2012. That "league year" starts on July 1st. The club can begin negotiating an extension on July 1st. Would have been nice to see a civil discussion instead of condescension and insults.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Sign Marchand and insert some of the youngsters into the lineup from Providence to fill any holes. I'd rather stay with what's in the system and save the cap space for what's available as the season goes along and at the trade deadline. The Bruins don't have to go out and try to outbid other teams for the services of UFA's when they have just won the cup and have some cheap, young talent waiting to crack the lineup. I like their depth in the system and would like to see them pass on any free agents this year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

Sign Marchand and insert some of the youngsters into the lineup from Providence to fill any holes. I'd rather stay with what's in the system and save the cap space for what's available as the season goes along and at the trade deadline. The Bruins don't have to go out and try to outbid other teams for the services of UFA's when they have just won the cup and have some cheap, young talent waiting to crack the lineup. I like their depth in the system and would like to see them pass on any free agents this year.

If we lose Mark Recchi, Marc Savard, Michael Ryder, Tomas Kaberle and Shane Hnidy and just replace them with prospects , then we will have serious depth issues.

The best part of a salary cap is that the amount renews every year (and has even increased every year).  If we sign 3-4 free agents to ONE year deals, then that money comes off the cap after this season.  Why would we 'waste' 10-14 million dollars in cap space to 'wait on the trade deadline' (when you have to give up assets in order to make moves AND find trade partners).  UFA's only cost the team money and we will be under the cap this season.

I guess that I don't understand the logic of passing on UFA's to make trades down the road.  Tomas Kaberle helped our team win The Cup, but he was very extensive in terms of trade (1st rounder, 2nd rounder, and Joe Colborne).  Since the B's won The Cup, I think that it was a good deal. But, if we had the cap space before last season (we didn't, but we do this year) and signed a UFA, then we wouldn't have had to part with the picks and the prospects.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cap to increase to 64 million! : Krejci isn't in the same league as the other two.  He'll never be Stamkos or even mentioned in the same sentence.  Stamkos is top notch hardcore goal scorer.  Krejci isn't.  Maybe Krejci is in the same breath as Richards in five years.  He's not now. Jovo is certainly not one of the top free agent defensemen.  He's old and injured and injury prone.  Markov, Kaberle, Brewer, Pitkanen, Bieksa, Salo, Wisniewski, Erhoff, and Ian White are ahead of him in my books. Anything else I can help you with?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

i would take mccabe over jovo too!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]Sign Marchand and insert some of the youngsters into the lineup from Providence to fill any holes. I'd rather stay with what's in the system and save the cap space for what's available as the season goes along and at the trade deadline. The Bruins don't have to go out and try to outbid other teams for the services of UFA's when they have just won the cup and have some cheap, young talent waiting to crack the lineup. I like their depth in the system and would like to see them pass on any free agents this year. If we lose Mark Recchi, Marc Savard, Michael Ryder, Tomas Kaberle and Shane Hnidy and just replace them with prospects , then we will have serious depth issues. The best part of a salary cap is that the amount renews every year (and has even increased every year).  If we sign 3-4 free agents to ONE year deals, then that money comes off the cap after this season.  Why would we 'waste' 10-14 million dollars in cap space to 'wait on the trade deadline' (when you have to give up assets in order to make moves AND find trade partners).  UFA's only cost the team money and we will be under the cap this season. I guess that I don't understand the logic of passing on UFA's to make trades down the road.  Tomas Kaberle helped our team win The Cup, but he was very extensive in terms of trade (1st rounder, 2nd rounder, and Joe Colborne).  Since the B's won The Cup, I think that it was a good deal. But, if we had the cap space before last season (we didn't, but we do this year) and signed a UFA, then we wouldn't have had to part with the picks and the prospects.

When a player reaches free agency how many are willing to sign one year deals ? If they do they are usually the players that are not in demand because of age , skills that have diminished , etc. or a rare Marian Hossa type of deal where he is paid big money for 1 year for a chance to win the cup with a certain team. The good players are usually looking for multi year deals.

I am comfortable with what's in the system and giving young players a chance and totally disagree that the Bruins would have serious depth issues if players are promoted . The Bruins had rookies Seguin, McQuaid, Marchand and Kampfer play extensively this year for them . Was there serious depth issues because of their promotions ? Nope !

I'm not in favour of trading draft picks for rentals either but there aren't any free agents I'm thrilled with this year .  No thanks to the UFA's unless it's a bargain basement pricefor a 3rd or 4th liner IMO . I hope that PC stays patient with the cap space as there is a lot of time to use the money to tweak the lineup.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

[QUOTE]2011-2012 Roster Krejci-Lucic-Horton Bergeron-Marchand-Peverly Seguin-Simon Gagne (UFA)-Kelly Campbell-Jason Arnott (UFA)-Thornton ALSO: Daniel Paille -Jordan Caron Chara-Seidenberg Ed Jovanovski (UFA)-Ference Boychuk-Kampfer ALSO: Adam McQuaid Thomas Rask Extend David Krejci, five years, 28 million deal Sign Brad Marchand to a three year, 8 million deal Sign Ed Jovanovski to a one year, 5.5 million deal Sign Simon Gagne to a one year, 3.5 million deal Sign Jason Arnott to a one year, 2.5 million deal Marc Savard retires due to repeated concussions. DRAFT: Ryan Murphy #9 OVERALL on 06/24/2011 WAITING IN THE WINGS:  Jaime Arniel, Ryan Spooner, Jared Knight, Matt Bartkowski, David Warofsky

honestly man, NAS is 100% right. its pretty clear that your a Cs fan who caught wind that the bruins were good, and jumped on the bandwagon. Jovo might be worth 2 mill? maybe? he is injured all the time and is a shadow of his former self. none of your stuff makes any sense. and that whole sentence you said about krejci not having injury troubles like brad richards, read: concussions. well krejci has two concussions that we know about in a bruins uniform, and has had two surgeries since 09. I'm one of krejci's biggest fans but NAS is right, follow along for a year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

[QUOTE] Sign Marchand and insert some of the youngsters into the lineup from Providence to fill any holes. I'd rather stay with what's in the system and save the cap space for what's available as the season goes along and at the trade deadline. The Bruins don't have to go out and try to outbid other teams for the services of UFA's when they have just won the cup and have some cheap, young talent waiting to crack the lineup. I like their depth in the system and would like to see them pass on any free agents this year.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

My sentiments exactly! An added factor is the contracts signed in the past two years that have been team friendly deals.  So, if Ryder and Kaberle are signed to greater $ contracts, not as team friendly, then there will be some issues.  Stay the course and build within, the names like Jovo, Gagne, et. are just crazy talk!  If the Bs don't sign Kaberle, then go after SanDogs favorite Joni Pitkanen, the Wiz or Eric Brewer.  Stay away from the oft injured Gagne, omg Arnott's best days are gone.  Don't compete for free agents when the market is poor.  Play the younger players, trade during the season if the team responds with another playoff run, the only player worth looking at would be Richards.  He will go to bigger bucks somewhere else.  Signing Stamkos or Parise is dreamwork stuff, bad karma with how the team has been built under the current management and coach!  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I am all for Sauve, Spooner, Arniel, Caron and Knight taking two of the open forward spots but I would also take a run at the 27 year old Pitkanen he's too good to pass up with the extra 3.75Mil PC just gained on the cap.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]We have different point of views on David Krejci and Ed Jovanovski.  I think that Krejci will sign a huge deal and I hope that the Bruins wrap up a deal over the summer and announce it one day into the season.  If you feel that Krejci is not worthy of a contract just a notch below Brad Richards, then I disagree with you. Ed Jovanovski played 82 games (as in ALL of them) in 2008-2009, 66 games in 2009-2010 and 50 games last year.  When healthy he is a top four defenceman and a borderline all star (he made the all star game in 2007 and 2008).  I like Adam McQuaid, but he is a 6th/7th defenceman.  I would take an often-injured Ed Jovanovski in a HEARTBEAT over Adam McQuaid.  And as a 7th d-man, McQuaid would offer great depth. [/QUOTE]

Jovo has missed 30% of the games over the past two seasons.  No one will give him $6M.  He's a $4M gamble on his best day with a desperate GM.

I can appreciate your enthusiasm for Krejci, but you're just off.  He isn't a $6M forward.  Absolutely not.  Maybe if he plays better, puts up more points, figures out how to excel on the powerplay and can stay healthy, he will be.  Right now, he certainly is not.

[QUOTE]We need another veteran centre with the loss of Marc Savard.  I like Jason Arnott as a nice option (at 2.5 million) for depth.  [/QUOTE]

The Bruins just won the Stanley Cup with the loss of Savard.  Bruins centers:  Krejci, Bergeron, Seguin, Peverley, Campbell, Kelly.  I don't think adding a 36 year old center is in the cards.

[QUOTE]In my above mentioned post, I had Arnott moving over to the wing and Campbell at centre for the 4th line.  I figured that Arnott would provide depth and Paille would be off the bench quite a bit.  I also like having two centres/wings on the 2nd (Bergeron/Peverly), 3rd (Kelly/Seguin) and 4th (Campbell/Arnott) lines.  I like the centres for improved passing and a higher faceoff %. The NHL season is a battle of attrition, with the more depth the better.  If the Bruins sign Jason Arnott and play him on the 4th line, then that doesn't mean that Daniel Paille sits for 82 games. Someone will be injured during the year and guys who were 13th/14th forwards or 7th/8th defencemen will be intrigal parts to the roster.  See Marchand, McQuaid and Kampfer in 2010-2011. [/QUOTE]

I am afraid you don't understand how any of this works.  Jason Arnott is not a fourth line player.  He'll retire before he plays seven minutes a night.  On top of that, fourth line players cannot make that much money.  That money goes to guys who play and contribute a lot more.

[QUOTE]Gagne is coming off another injury plagued year and might take a one year deal to join the STANLEY CUP CHAMPS - or he may not. My guess is that Tampa Bay will not have the $$$ to resign him and the B's may be able to sign him for a one year deal [/QUOTE]

Gagne is coming off of a five year deal.  He won't take a one year contract.  Do you know why?  Because someone will offer him many years.  The only player that I can think of in recent memory that chose a lower contract and years to pursue the Cup was Hossa.  The rest of them do not do this.  It just isn't how it works. 

[QUOTE]My post(s) are just thoughts/projections on the 2011-2012 roster (just like everyone else).  Maybe the Bruins sign all or none of the guys in my post.  I just really like the thought of adding depth to the current roster, while not handcuffing the team to overpriced, LONG TERM deals. I may be mistaken, but I believe that you want to pencil in Jordan Caron into the rotation over any free agent forwards. What happens when someone goes down due to injury?  Are you going to count on Jaime Arniel or Ryan Spooner to step right in and shine during the Stanley Cup playoffs?  Without the additions of Chris Kelly and Rich Peverly, the Bruins do not win The Cup. The more experienced forwards on the roster, the better. And there you have it.

I did list Caron because it makes sense for him to come play in one of the spots vacated by Recchi or (hopefully) Ryder.  He would have stayed in the NHL last season, but was squeezed out due to his two way deal and lack of available roster spots.

Kelly and Peverley were added at the trade deadline, so I don't see their relevance here.

Honestly, just follow the NHL for a year.  Read, watch, learn, understand.  It's an amazing and awesome sport.  You just don't get it yet.

If you are confused by any of this, just ask.  We're here to help.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cap to increase to 64 million! : Careful NAS, that is a borderline positive comment about McQuaid.
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]

He's totally out of the doghouse!  He was a stud in the playoffs. 

I'm on board.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from beantowngm15. Show beantowngm15's posts

[QUOTE]Sign Marchand and insert some of the youngsters into the lineup from Providence to fill any holes. I'd rather stay with what's in the system and save the cap space for what's available as the season goes along and at the trade deadline. The Bruins don't have to go out and try to outbid other teams for the services of UFA's when they have just won the cup and have some cheap, young talent waiting to crack the lineup. I like their depth in the system and would like to see them pass on any free agents this year. If we lose Mark Recchi, Marc Savard, Michael Ryder, Tomas Kaberle and Shane Hnidy and just replace them with prospects , then we will have serious depth issues. The best part of a salary cap is that the amount renews every year (and has even increased every year).  If we sign 3-4 free agents to ONE year deals, then that money comes off the cap after this season.  Why would we 'waste' 10-14 million dollars in cap space to 'wait on the trade deadline' (when you have to give up assets in order to make moves AND find trade partners).  UFA's only cost the team money and we will be under the cap this season. I guess that I don't understand the logic of passing on UFA's to make trades down the road.  Tomas Kaberle helped our team win The Cup, but he was very extensive in terms of trade (1st rounder, 2nd rounder, and Joe Colborne).  Since the B's won The Cup, I think that it was a good deal. But, if we had the cap space before last season (we didn't, but we do this year) and signed a UFA, then we wouldn't have had to part with the picks and the prospects.

Seriously, jump off the bandwagon. Jovanoski? Really? Give me a break. If we're going to sign a UFA D, then it should be Pitkanen, Brewer, White, McCabe, etc. Filling holes with prospects is great, how else are they going to develop? And that doesn't create depth issues, spending to the cap on useless guys like Jovanoski, Gagne, and Arnott does create them though, 'cause chances are every single one of those guys is gonna get hurt pretty often. It also creates a cap issue, 'cause what happens when the deadline rolls around and you're looking to snag one more D or another forward with a bit some scoring touch to add to your offense, and you can't afford to do it? They should just be signing a guy like Brewer, McCabe, or Pitkanen (Pitkanen is my choice) and perhaps a Brooks Laich assuming they don't put Caron in his spot.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

In Response to www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a0d190bb9-6882-4397-9ce1-e66db723d396Discussion%3a202646e5-89cb-48e0-9350-220ddac2bd1f&plckFindPostKey=Cat:SportsForum:0d190bb9-6882-4397-9ce1-e66db723d396Discussion:202646e5-89cb-48e0-9350-220ddac2bd1fPost:e879daa5-eca3-41a7-8ac4-916b9a1c7f56">Re: Cap to increase to 64 million!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cap to increase to 64 million! : Seriously, jump off the bandwagon. Jovanoski? Really? Give me a break. If we're going to sign a UFA D, then it should be Pitkanen, Brewer, White, McCabe, etc. Filling holes with prospects is great, how else are they going to develop? And that doesn't create depth issues, spending to the cap on useless guys like Jovanoski, Gagne, and Arnott does create them though, 'cause chances are every single one of those guys is gonna get hurt pretty often. It also creates a cap issue, 'cause what happens when the deadline rolls around and you're looking to snag one more D or another forward with a bit some scoring touch to add to your offense, and you can't afford to do it? They should just be signing a guy like Brewer, McCabe, or Pitkanen (Pitkanen is my choice) and perhaps a Brooks Laich assuming they don't put Caron in his spot.
    Posted by beantowngm15[/QUOTE]

I was a Bruins fan before you were alive.

I was 11 when the Bruins went to the 1988 Stanley Cup Final with Bourque, Neely, Janney, Glen Wesley, Bob Sweeney and Moog/Lemelin.

I was hooked and was a huge Bruins until they traded Joe Thornton for a bag of hockey pucks in 2005 (I assumed that the owner would never pony up for a good product on the ice).  When the Bruins finally started turning it around a few years ago, then I started getting back into it.

If you want to call me a bandwagon fan, then fine.

WE WILL SEE what Chia does with the roster.  IMO they will spend the cap space on one year deals that will come off the cap next year.  If I am wrong, then so be it and I will be ready to take my beating.

As far as free agents taking one year deals?  It happens ALL OF THE TIME, especially with older players.  And players signing one year deals to join a STANLEY CUP CHAMPION, well that also happens ALL OF THE TIME.

If the Bruins decide to spend the money on one higher priced free agent, well then great!  I am sure that Chia knows a lot more than me.

For those of you who think that they will just plug in rookies and NOT sign any veteran free agents, then you are wrong - plain and simple.  They are losing up to FIVE veteran players, they are not replacing all of those roster spots with rookies, it is not going to happen.

Where is NAS spouting off about Krejci not being resigned before the season?  I guess he is not quite as smart or 'in tune' with the salary cap rules as he claims to be.

I will continue to post and if you would prefer not to read what I have to say, then by all means utilize the ignore button. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE] As far as free agents taking one year deals?  It happens ALL OF THE TIME, especially with older players.  And players signing one year deals to join a STANLEY CUP CHAMPION, well that also happens ALL OF THE TIME.

There hasn't been a repeat champion in a long time.  Simon Gagne is a 31-year-old first line winger.  Why would he want...

Oh forget it.  You really don't have any idea what you're talking about.  I'll join you in the wait and see game.  Let's see how many superstar snipers in the prime of their careers sign one year deals.  In fact, let's see how many average or better players sign one year deals.  Let's also see who signs the Shell that Used To Be JovoCop and what the contract is.

And then we'll talk again.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

How about these two players:

PLAYER ONE (31 YEARS OLD):

2009-2010  - GAMES 58 - 17 GOALS - 23 ASSISTS - 40 POINTS
    2010-2011  - GAMES 63 - 17 GOALS - 23 ASSISTS - 40 POINTS

PLAYER TWO (31 YEARS OLD):

2009-2010 - GAMES 82 - 18 GOALS - 15 ASSISTS - 33 POINTS
    2010-2011 - GAMES 79 - 18 GOALS - 23 ASSISTS - 41 POINTS

Similar guys no?  Player ONE is Simon Gagne, Player TWO is MICHAEL RYDER.

Over the last four seasons, Michael Ryder has OUTSCORED Simon Gagne 77-75.

Who do you think Simon Gagne is?  If I am delusional about Ed Jovanovski, then you are bat sh*t crazy about Simon Gagne.  Maybe he signs a one-year deal, maybe he signs a two-year deal and maybe some idiot GM who HAS to hit the salary floor signs him to a four-year, 20 million contract.  Suggesting that he signs a one year, 3.5 million make good contract with the STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS should not be so outrageous to you.

2010 Free Agent signings, one year deals, players who switched teams:

07/01/10 ~ 30 year old Alex Tanguay signs a one-year deal with Calgary (was with TAMPA BAY) ***FIRST DAY OF FREE AGENCY***

07/07/10 ~ 35 year old Rob Niedermayer signs a one-year deal with Buffalo (was with NJ)

08/05/10 ~ 40 year old Mike Modano signs a one-year deal with Detroit (was with DALLAS)

08/06/10 ~ 37 year old John Madden signs a one-year deal with Minnesota (was with CHICAGO)

08/17/10 ~  26 year old Sean Bergenheim signs a one-year deal with Tampa Bay (was with NY Isles)

09/14/10 ~ 32 year old Eric Belanger signs a one-year deal with Phoenix (was with WASHINGTON)

10/04/10 ~ 35 year old Brendan Morrison signs a one-year deal with Calgary (was with WASHINGTON) 

Anyway, this is my last post about this issue for a little while.  I will wait until mid-July and we will see if the B's have locked up David Krejci (I see a five year, 28 million contract if the B's pounce early - more if they wait).  I will also see if the B's pick up some veterans on one-year deals.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]How about these two players: PLAYER ONE (31 YEARS OLD): 2009-2010  - GAMES 58 - 17 GOALS - 23 ASSISTS - 40 POINTS 2010-2011  - GAMES 63 - 17 GOALS - 23 ASSISTS - 40 POINTS PLAYER TWO (31 YEARS OLD): 2009-2010 - GAMES 82 - 18 GOALS - 15 ASSISTS - 33 POINTS 2010-2011 - GAMES 79 - 18 GOALS - 23 ASSISTS - 41 POINTS Similar guys no?  Player ONE is Simon Gagne, Player TWO is MICHAEL RYDER. Over the last four seasons, Michael Ryder has OUTSCORED Simon Gagne 77-75. Who do you think Simon Gagne is?  If I am delusional about Ed Jovanovski, then you are bat sh*t crazy about Simon Gagne.  Maybe he signs a one-year deal, maybe he signs a two-year deal and maybe some idiot GM who HAS to hit the salary floor signs him to a four-year, 20 million contract.  Suggesting that he signs a one year, 3.5 million make good contract with the STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS should not be so outrageous to you. 2010 Free Agent signings, one year deals, players who switched teams: 07/01/10 ~ 30 year old Alex Tanguay signs a one-year deal with Calgary (was with TAMPA BAY) ***FIRST DAY OF FREE AGENCY*** 07/07/10 ~ 35 year old Rob Niedermayer signs a one-year deal with Buffalo (was with NJ) 08/05/10 ~ 40 year old Mike Modano signs a one-year deal with Detroit (was with DALLAS) 08/06/10 ~ 37 year old John Madden signs a one-year deal with Minnesota (was with CHICAGO) 08/17/10 ~  26 year old Sean Bergenheim signs a one-year deal with Tampa Bay (was with NY Isles) 09/14/10 ~ 32 year old Eric Belanger signs a one-year deal with Phoenix (was with WASHINGTON) 10/04/10 ~ 35 year old Brendan Morrison signs a one-year deal with Calgary (was with WASHINGTON)  Anyway, this is my last post about this issue for a little while.  I will wait until mid-July and we will see if the B's have locked up David Krejci (I see a five year, 28 million contract if the B's pounce early - more if they wait).  I will also see if the B's pick up some veterans on one-year deals.

All these players were signed to one year deals because of why ? Old ? Diminished skills ? Poor play from the year before ? Nobody else wanted to sign them ? Or all of the above ?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]07/01/10 ~ 30 year old Alex Tanguay signs a one-year deal with Calgary (was with TAMPA BAY) ***FIRST DAY OF FREE AGENCY***

07/07/10 ~ 35 year old Rob Niedermayer signs a one-year deal with Buffalo (was with NJ)

08/05/10 ~ 40 year old Mike Modano signs a one-year deal with Detroit (was with DALLAS)

08/06/10 ~ 37 year old John Madden signs a one-year deal with Minnesota (was with CHICAGO)

08/17/10 ~  26 year old Sean Bergenheim signs a one-year deal with Tampa Bay (was with NY Isles)

09/14/10 ~ 32 year old Eric Belanger signs a one-year deal with Phoenix (was with WASHINGTON)

10/04/10 ~ 35 year old Brendan Morrison signs a one-year deal with Calgary (was with WASHINGTON)

Which of these players are you comparing to Simon Gagne? 

Bergenheim, a third line checker with who hadn't cracked 25 points in a season?

Eric Belanger, who once had 40 points...in the AHL?

Rob Niedermayer, career role player?

Mike Mo...oh forget it.

You just don't understand.  I truly apprecaite your research, but it's just not relevant.  Stick around here for a while.  Read.  Learn.  We're happy to help.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cap to increase to 64 million! : All these players were signed to one year deals because of why ? Old ? Diminished skills ? Poor play from the year before ? Nobody else wanted to sign them ? Or all of the above ?
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Chowda. 

Sections
Shortcuts