Cap Update

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Cap Update

In case anyone is counting. With Caron and Florek now signed the B's are over by $809,143.

So, minus Savards $$ (4,027,143) PC has (in theory) $3,218,000 with which to sign Smith and Krug and still needs some cap space for seasonal moves.

In other words, there needs to be trades by opening day. No other way around it. This is going to be very, very interesting.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lex44. Show Lex44's posts

Re: Cap Update

In response to jmwalters' comment:

In case anyone is counting. With Caron and Florek now signed the B's are over by $809,143.

So, minus Savards $$ (4,027,143) PC has (in theory) $3,218,000 with which to sign Smith and Krug and still needs some cap space for seasonal moves.

In other words, there needs to be trades by opening day. No other way around it. This is going to be very, very interesting.

You got the DK and Johnny signing problem. And what will Soderberg be worth on open market next year? A guy like that needs to be extended earlier at a lower rate before he gets to free agency where one team can make it impossible to keep him. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Last year of contract:

Krecji, Campbell, Paille, Soderberg, Boychuk, McQuaid, Hamilton, Svedberg 

so one-third of the forwards, half the d corp, and half the goalies....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Its not a great situation.  But what can you do?   Our prospects stink but gotta give them a chance

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Its not a great situation.  But what can you do?   Our prospects stink but gotta give them a chance

Yep, that's why I like PC's contracts for the prospects this offseason. Prove you can play or hit the road.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Projecting the cap at $69M PC has $22M, without Savard's LTIR, next summer. Modestly projecting the cap uptick, Chiarelli will have another $5M. That's $30M next summer not at all as bad as it would seem.

Campbell and Svedberg will be replaced by Spooner/KoKo/Cunny and Subban, not at all costly. Paille will get a moderate raise at say $2M. Still plenty left for Krug, Hamilton, Soderberg, Smith and McQuaid.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Projecting the cap at $69M PC has $22M, without Savard's LTIR, next summer. Modestly projecting the cap uptick, Chiarelli will have another $5M. That's $30M next summer not at all as bad as it would seem.

Thats the way i see it as well,lots of things will play out before PC gets to the brass tax.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Last year of contract:

Krecji, Campbell, Paille, Soderberg, Boychuk, McQuaid, Hamilton, Svedberg 

so one-third of the forwards, half the d corp, and half the goalies....

Obviously Hamilton would be the biggest priority, the B's more than most need a significant jump in that cap next year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Obviously Hamilton would be the biggest priority, the B's more than most need a significant jump in that cap next year.

/QUOTE]

That is true but based on the presumption that PC wants to keep most of the team as is together. I can see all of them leaving or being traded...except Hamilton.

That is one hell of a roster turnover if it does go down that way. At the very least, inter-team competition will be very aggressive and intense with so many players playing for future $$ and youngins showing their worth (or lack of).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fanonymost. Show fanonymost's posts

I live in Taxachusetts, and "when you get down to brass tacks", even we don't tax brass!  ;)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to fanonymost's comment:

I live in Taxachusetts, and "when you get down to brass tacks", even we don't tax brass!  ;)

Either way,PC will have to consider the basic facts of the situation,but i know what you mean. :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Bigger money to the core and fill in the blanks with cheaper, stinky prospects seems to be a trend throughout the league.

The Bruins are headed in that direction.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

Bigger money to the core and fill in the blanks with cheaper, stinky prospects seems to be a trend throughout the league.

Well put. I wonder if you'll see more and more younger players on entry level deals making clubs now.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigBadnBruin. Show BigBadnBruin's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

Well put. I wonder if you'll see more and more younger players on entry level deals making clubs now.

I think that has already been happening. In a few years, I think the 4th line will consist of league minimum players that nothing is expected from, except to not hurt your team defensively, and to eat up 6 to 7 minutes of ice time. Think, 3 Jordan Caron, type players. It could even extend to the 3rd line.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to BigBadnBruin's comment:

Think, 3 Jordan Caron, type players.

I can't think that hard, my brain starts to hurt.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

I think that has already been happening. In a few years, I think the 4th line will consist of league minimum players that nothing is expected from, except to not hurt your team defensively, and to eat up 6 to 7 minutes of ice time. Think, 3 Jordan Caron, type players. It could even extend to the 3rd line.

So where are players like Paille, Campbell and Kelly going to play if third and fourth lines consist of Caron types?

-GNB, King Of The Forum

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Yeah, I think that's going to end up being far more important than it should be.  Are you paying your horses so much that you can only afford a fourth line of Jordan Carons (sort of like expendable stormtroopers...) or have you reserved a certain amount of cap space to pay for savvy veterans who can play fourth line minutes but also kick in on the PK and, in a pinch, move up the lineup and fill in with some level of competence?  No one would choose to play Campbell and Paille in the top six, but in a pinch, they're not going to hurt you.  They'll muck, get the puck to their more skilled linemates, go hard to the net - that is, do the basics - like veterans.  Watching even Fraser in the playoffs, there were times where it was like watching a puppy playing with big dogs - something ungainly or awkward about it and a certain amount of deference that you can't have and be successful.

Teams might also change the expectations of fourth lines, and the strategy for using the players on them.  It's become a roll four lines league, though, so they'll have to be a bit creative, but there are some obvious options.  There's the crash line option where you put a bunch of guys who might not have NHL hands, but can skate and will take the body.  It's the classic energy line configuration, and if you can get big guys who can also skate and play with discipline, it works pretty well.  Problem is, when those big guys who can skate have any hands whatsoever - and I mean, they don't just have stumps where their hands should be, but opposable thumbs and everything - they become $2M players like Brian Boyle.

Then there's the Merlot option, where you have two good PK players and stash a clown in there, and the line basically plays like it's on the PK the whole time it's on the ice.  Frustrate, hound, work the puck into the offensive zone, get off the ice. 

The third option is the kids option where you put a few guys on entry level or just-off-entry level deals together and just...let them play.  They have to play the system, of course, but you're not giving them a limited role to just generate "energy" - you're putting them together to try and use their talents.  I'm thinking you might even try the first line in Providence from the previous year and see if whatever chemistry they had comes up with them.  The thing I like about this option is that you can spot the guys who are getting it higher in the lineup a few times a game to get them some extra ice.  Bruins kill a PK, put Spooner out with Marchand and Smith and give Bergeron a shift off.  Or after a PP, put Marchand with Spooner and Fraser for a shift.  It would require a little more shimmy in the rolling of lines than CJ likes, but it would be an interesting way to get guys ice time.

The reason why I don't think we'll see that in Boston is the Lesson of Jordy.  When Claude et. al think a guy has the ability to play NHL hockey, they clearly believe the key to his success if giving him a role he can focus on.  It was different with Seguin and Hamilton because they weren't ready, but they also were too talented to not succeed on abilities alone at other levels, so they'd lose that motivation you get from fear of failure.  I think about Caron, but they did this with Marchand at first, and with Krejci, and with Lucic, and with Krug last year.  McQuaid.  We forget how simple McQuaid kept it in the Cup run - he was the perfect partner for Kaber - Ole!.

All of these options will run you between about $2.1M and $4M for your fourth line.  It's entirely possible that saving that $1.9M elsewhere will make a difference in the playoffs somewhere along the line when depth and the ability to fill in for injured players can be everything.

Are you not entertained?!?!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

jm, it's still the same situation it always was.  I mean, you're right about the trades part, but I don't know that anyone really thought Bartkowski was still part of the equation?  Unless you're in the trade Boychuk camp, I guess, and you want Bartkowski to pair with Seidenberg next year.   If you add Bartkowski's $1.25M back to the kitty, then you're back over $4M which is probably enough to get Smith and Krug back for the short term.  That's not a very interesting trade, but they aren't going to carry 8 defensemen, and none of the D can be sent down without the risk they get scooped on waivers.  Maybe they're willing to take that chance with Miller?

They don't need to make any other deals right away.  The opportunity for a Kelly deal to clear a couple of million will be there once the season starts, especially if he plays well with Soderberg and whoever in October/November.  Any flash of his old production, any kind of fast start that says he's not damaged goods on the decline, and it might help PC make a deal he's happier with.

Are you not entertained?!?!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"I can see all of them leaving or being traded...except Hamilton."

I don't see Paille, Krug, Soderberg, McQuaid or Hamilton being jettisoned for money reasons. Campbell and Svedberg are replaceable, they will be next year. Krejci and Boychuk are going to be expensive so I could see PC wanting some value in return if he can't both players in at the right value.

I would over pay to keep Paille, Krug, Soderberg and Hamilton because of what they bring. If my choice is keep Krejci and have to jettison two or three of the players above because I spent a lot on one players extension - I would choose to trade Krejci because of the depth Boston has at center.

It's tough because PC doesn't know where the cap is going to end up in 2015 but I do think he ends up minimum $30M to spend.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Yep, that's why I like PC's contracts for the prospects this offseason. Prove you can play or hit the road.

yup no choice. I like the do or die attitude.  Teams have no choice with the cap just under 70M.

On another note the same reasoning goes for Eriksson on the 1st line.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

I agree with part 1. I disagree with part 2. 

The bruins have traded every guy with the exception of Chara that has threatened to become a top paid player eventually. Kessel and Seguin are the most recent examples. While I recognize that those players are very flawed, and that it wasn't all about money, but I think the bruins are still of the philosophy that they want a deep team. Prospects will come up, but i find it unlikely they will pay a player more than 10% of the cap. Goaltenders and number one d men being the exception 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

they aren't going to carry 8 defensemen, and none of the D can be sent down without the risk they get scooped on waivers.   

This is a very interesting point. With the contracts as is PC is almost guaranteed to have to make a trade or two to free up roster spots on the back end. You could argue the same with Caron. Either he will be traded or he will be on the opening day roster. Funny thing about spare parts on one-way contracts though...they don't fetch much of a return. But I guess anything back is better than nothing.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

If my choice is keep Krejci and have to jettison two or three of the players above because I spent a lot on one players extension - I would choose to trade Krejci because of the depth Boston has at center.

True but my only issue with that is quality over quantity. Neither Yeti nor Spooner or any other AHL call-up is as proficient on both ends of the ice as Krecji. Sure, there may be centers in the org in abundance but that does not mean the team as whole is better off trading legitimate #1 centers in favour  third liners and prospects.

But ultimately cap issues will decide how this plays out. Krecji may well price himself out of Boston. Time will tell. But a 6-7mill per year Krejci is still a much better option than a 4-5 million Yeti.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

I feel like this Cap situation has been said in about 10 different ways... all saying the same thing. Either there is a trade made and/or they ride with the kids. Until next year when there is anywhere from $20-$30 million to spend on resigning Hamilton/DK/Soderberg and imo trading Boychuk. With this done, they should still have some $5-$10 million to add to the roster.
    Im fine with this... "bridge year"... with possibilities that they make a surprise run past the 1st round.

Lets GO BRUINS!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigBadnBruin. Show BigBadnBruin's posts

In response to goodnewsbears' comment:

So where are players like Paille, Campbell and Kelly going to play if third and fourth lines consist of Caron types?

-GNB, King Of The Forum

These type of players will be forced to take pay cuts to play on a contender, or move to a weak club that has enough cap space to pay 2M for a serviceable 3rd liner.

The Bruins may be forced to trade Kelly, use Paille as the 3rd line LW this year, and keep Jordan Caron, to play the 4th LW role, so this type of transition, is already happening.

Sections
Shortcuts