Cap Update

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Re: Cap Update

In response to BigBadnBruin's comment:

In response to goodnewsbears' comment:

The Bruins may be forced to  use Paille as the 3rd line LW this year, 

This has been tried ad nauseum over the years, never with success unfortunately.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Sportsnutty's comment:

I feel like this Cap situation has been said in about 10 different ways... all saying the same thing. Either there is a trade made and/or they ride with the kids. Until next year when there is anywhere from $20-$30 million to spend on resigning Hamilton/DK/Soderberg and imo trading Boychuk. With this done, they should still have some $5-$10 million to add to the roster.

Im fine with this... "bridge year"... with possibilities that they make a surprise run past the 1st round.

Well said as I think PC is more concerned how Krejci and Boychuk's re-signings or not will effect next summers cap. I think Chiarelli already has a plan to address this years cap situation. PC will leave $2M for the deadline, that money turns into more that time of year with only a month and half left.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigBadnBruin. Show BigBadnBruin's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

This has been tried ad nauseum over the years, never with success unfortunately.

I understand that. IMO however, Paille is no longer a "luxury" the Bruins can afford to have on the 4th line.

If it wasn't for the cap friendly YETI deal, Campbell may have become the 3rd line Center, this year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

It was a cap-friendly deal because Yeti was an unknown... still is in my book. Same with Smith.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

I understand that. IMO however, Paille is no longer a "luxury" the Bruins can afford to have on the 4th line.

If it wasn't for the cap friendly YETI deal, Campbell may have become the 3rd line Center, this year.

Paille plays for peanuts. It's hard to get a whole lot cheaper than 1.3 per. Even many of the entry level guys that mange to make it into lineups are making near that and usually higher with bonuses. I'm actually for the idea of Paille getting a real chance on the 3rd line. The concept of players stepping up in a contract year is a very real thing.  I could see Paille scoring 20 for the 1st time in his career if he gets 3rd line ice time. Heck, I'm expecting at least 15 from him just because Thornton is finally gone. It's not easy to put up big numbers with that guy on your line for 4 years straight.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

For what Paille does in the limited ice time he gets I think he is under paid. During games 2 and 3 of the 2013 SCF, Paille scored 1 goal in each game and set up Kelly on a goal in game 2. Paille was playing on the 3rd line.

Bruins can't afford to let Pie Yah go!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

It will certainly be interesting. The financial situation in hockey is appearing to mirror the stratification of corporate America in general. The guys at the top are gonna get the big dough and the bottom 3 guys will basically have their reward be the fact they get to stay in the NHL. If they don't like it, there will always be some young schlub more than eager to replace the cagey 4th line vet. Example, at the end of next year Campbell or Paille better be prepared to play for 1.5 or less, or they become casualties by being a liability to keeping 1st and 2nd line players. Very few teams may give them what they may actually be worth in terms of team success.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigBadnBruin. Show BigBadnBruin's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

Paille plays for peanuts. It's hard to get a whole lot cheaper than 1.3 per. Even many of the entry level guys that mange to make it into lineups are making near that and usually higher with bonuses. I'm actually for the idea of Paille getting a real chance on the 3rd line. The concept of players stepping up in a contract year is a very real thing.  I could see Paille scoring 20 for the 1st time in his career if he gets 3rd line ice time. Heck, I'm expecting at least 15 from him just because Thornton is finally gone. It's not easy to put up big numbers with that guy on your line for 4 years straight.

I'm a fan of Paille, but with more and more teams only leaving themselves 25-30 % of the salary cap to sign over 1/2 the team, 4th liners will have to start becoming 600,000 positions. As you pointed out, the entry level young guys will be making too much, to be able to break in on the 4th line.

Sections
Shortcuts