Capital fans encouraged to taunt Thomas

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

Capital fans encouraged to taunt Thomas

Wow, are these people morons.  I don't think it would be a bad tactic in all scenarios.  I mean if TT suddenly traded brains with Roberto Luongo I would do this all day.  I just wouldn't do it to Tim.  Every single time Tim gets made the focla point he rises to the occasion.  I feel these types of taunts are more likely to motivate him then a friendly Garden crowd. 

I just wanted to document a personal thanks to the person who came up with this idea.  I doubt it was a B's fan, but it might as well have been from my point of view.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: Capital fans encouraged to taunt Thomas

Taunting Thomas is not a good idea. There are tonnes of players who can be rattled by the fans, with the crowd getting under their skin and making a difference on the ice. Winnipeg proved this point completely this season.
    Thomas is not one of those players, and he's showed time and again that he thrives on taking adversity or taunts and throwing them right back in your face.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Thomas doesnt melt when taunted, he will thrive.

I guess Bruins fans could give Ovie the old steroid chant ala Jose Canseco.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Thomas doesn't need his tires pumped. He can handle himself.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

Caps fans also taunted Crosby a few years ago. That didn't work too well.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

I hope the whole crowd is wearing them. Thomas would love nothing more than to shove the taunts down their throats.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

It's not Thomas we have to worry about...
    He's let in 2 goals so far!! There's not much any one could do to motivate him to play any better than he has, nothing he could do to play any better than he is right now.
    These guys gotta get some goals - heck these guys have to get some CHANCES!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In Response to Re: Capital fans encouraged to taunt Thomas:
    [QUOTE]It's not Thomas we have to worry about... He's let in 2 goals so far!! There's not much any one could do to motivate him to play any better than he has, nothing he could do to play any better than he is right now. These guys gotta get some goals - heck these guys have to get some CHANCES!
    Posted by gord11[/QUOTE]

gord - You nailed it.  Let them wear the masks and chant his name.  Thomas doesn't appear to need much to harden his resolve but his mates in front of him have to help him out with some scoring.  I'm hoping for a forest of Bruin trees growing just off the lip of Holby's crease to obscure his view of shots and to whack away like maniacs at loose pucks on his doorstep.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Taunting Thomas is not a good idea. There are tonnes of players who can be rattled by the fans, with the crowd getting under their skin and making a difference on the ice. Winnipeg proved this point completely this season. Thomas is not one of those players, and he's showed time and again that he thrives on taking adversity or taunts and throwing them right back in your face.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

This is said often, but I don't know if anyone can give any examples outside of the fact that he was drafted late and left for dead and then made his way to the NHL.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from thefly8. Show thefly8's posts

They should taunt the Bs PP.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

I thought it was kinda funny and i agree it only motivates him more

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from thefly8. Show thefly8's posts

Thats not good for TT!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Capital fans encouraged to taunt Thomas : This is said often, but I don't know if anyone can give any examples outside of the fact that he was drafted late and left for dead and then made his way to the NHL.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Three examples off the top of my head...
    Last year Loungo criticized him saying that he could have stopped a goal that TT let in. TT let in a total of two goals in the next two games, on his way to a Stanley Cup and Conn Smythe.

Two years ago after a dismal season everyone and their dog wanted him to be traded, including public comments about him being on the market from the Bruins. He responded with a season in which he set a record for save percentage, and won a Cup, Vezina and Conn Smythe.

During the lockout his team in Europe told him that they were looking to pursue someone else between the pipes because they weren't sure he could measure up to the influx of NHL talent. He replied by leading the league in GAA and Save percentage.

He has a track record of responding to criticism with stellar play.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Capital fans encouraged to taunt Thomas : Three examples off the top of my head... Last year Loungo criticized him saying that he could have stopped a goal that TT let in. TT let in a total of two goals in the next two games, on his way to a Stanley Cup and Conn Smythe. Two years ago after a dismal season everyone and their dog wanted him to be traded, including public comments about him being on the market from the Bruins. He responded with a season in which he set a record for save percentage, and won a Cup, Vezina and Conn Smythe. During the lockout his team in Europe told him that they were looking to pursue someone else between the pipes because they weren't sure he could measure up to the influx of NHL talent. He replied by leading the league in GAA and Save percentage. He has a track record of responding to criticism with stellar play.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

I have the same opinion of TT.  Mine developed quickly and this is how I remember it, with a little fact checking sprinkled in.  In 2005/06 THomas came in as an injury replacement the year after Raycroft's breakout season.  Raycroft was entrenched and Hannu was the golden boy.  No matter how well TT played there was no room for him in Boston, it was a great opportunity for the Vermont alum. At the time Thomas was 31 and still looking for his shot in the NHL, following some very good hockey in the AHL.  He would not have a home in Boston.

He stuck around that season starting more games then anyone else on the roster.  Still he had remarkably similar stats to HannuToivonen, but trailed in win loss and presumably on the depth chart in 2006/07.  This after Raycroft was traded for the next Golden boy Tuuka Rask (more on him later). 

TT took the job playing in 66 games but put up remarkablly ordinary stats (I'm looking at you Dave Lewis).  Tim holds down the job pretty steadily from this time through the 2008/09 despite the fact Manny Fernandez was brought in and handed the starting position at one point.

The Tank splits the 2009/10 season with Rask and starts the postseason on the bencch.  He is supposed to decline from here. People call desperately for his trade and deride PC for signing him. I think everyone remembers the rest.