Capitals and Ovie

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Re: Capitals and Ovie

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

In response to shuperman's comment:

Bunk.  Corsi is bunk.  And ovie is torching all teams.  But agreed panthers arent the best.  

They really are terrible, Shupe.  I'm heading over for Panthers/Senators tonight.  The building will be half empty.  The 1994 scoreboard will flash "Noise" and "Let's Go Cats" 100 times throughout the game, in an attempt to create a hockey atmostphere.  The $6 soda will be flat and the $7 hot dogs will be burned or cold.  I may have to walk a bit to get those, however, because many of the concession stands are closed.

This is how it goes on most night that an Orig6 team isn't in town.  When the B's, Leafs and Habs have been down here, the place was electric...for the other team! 

Florida isn't a bad hockey market.  There are plenty of fans around.  People just don't want to go to the games because the team is so bad.

Hopefully they can get some good picks and turn it around.  Enjoy the game.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Ovie ties stamkos.  What does corsi say about this nas.  Cmon. Tell me.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Ovie ties stamkos.  What does corsi say about this nas.  Cmon. Tell me.  

Corsi is silent on this.  Dumbstruck.  All of that data has been proven worthless.

The "Corsites" are hoping no one notices.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

This is how it goes on most night that an Orig6 team isn't in town.  When the B's, Leafs and Habs have been down here, the place was electric...for the other team! 

Florida isn't a bad hockey market.  There are plenty of fans around.  People just don't want to go to the games because the team is so bad.

and how about that "Rat pack " cheerleading and dancing ?  Kills me everytime

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:

and how about that "Rat pack " cheerleading and dancing ?  Kills me everytime

The cheerleaders are fine.  I mean, what man would complain about scantily clad hot Florida girls dancing during stoppages of play, right?

The "Rat Pack" is a bunch of punks, white kids with flat brimmed hats on crooked, mimicing what they've seen on hardcore rap videos.  That part I could do without!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In our section tonight, there were 17 people.  LOL.  Ghost town.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In our section tonight, there were 17 people.  LOL.  Ghost town.

Why did you choose ottawa over ovie?   Bruins game?   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Why did you choose ottawa over ovie?   Bruins game?   

I saw the Caps earlier this season.  B's vs. Habs kept me home last night.  In hindsight, I wish I had gone to the Panthers instead.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

In response to cowboys9's comment:

In response to cowboys9's comment:

I mentioned a while ago that this team was slowly buying into Oates system, and they would be a tough out in the first round... I think they make the playoffs.. Certainly getting Laich and Green back has helped them for sure, and Holtby has been pretty good as well...

If they can add a piece or two tomorrow especially a good dman plus some pk guys they could be dangerous.  They still have to catch winnipeg but i just checked their next few gms.  Nyi next which is huge, then florida and tbay.  By the end of the weekend they could be in 3rd place.  

Winnipeg is in a free fall and I see them folding badly.. Sorry Red..They had the Buffer playing wing after Antropov went out tonite.... Pavelec is just plain worn down and giving up 5 with regularity or so it seems....I can see Washington as 3rd seed for sure.. they have 8 of their remaining 13 games at home.. And some tough teams they face in the last week off the schedule might rest some stars..

Bruins finish their last game this season against the Caps. Would love to see the game mean something to the Caps........and have the Bruins ruin it. And yes, I'm still bitter about them beating the B's in game 7 last year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

What a goal by Ovie tonight vs. Habs.  Wow

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I like that Ovechkin is back to playing like he should. And yes, that shot tonight was sick.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to hangnail's comment:

Snapped a wicked twistah!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Yeah Hunter really tightened the noose on him last year.  Oates is letting him run.  I hope CJ does the same with Jagr.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

How about the caps taking down MTL tonight huh? That's really why I came onto these boards tonight... it's great to see.

If ovie keeps scoring down the stretch and the Caps keep beating good teams, he's gonna push Crosby.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Olsonic's comment:

How about the caps taking down MTL tonight huh? That's really why I came onto these boards tonight... it's great to see.

If ovie keeps scoring down the stretch and the Caps keep beating good teams, he's gonna push Crosby.

OC, how can Ovechkin be doing all of this with his recent year's Corsi ratings?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

In response to hangnail's comment:

Love the way he put it between Ryder's legs just before the wrister . Now that's the Ryder of old.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:

Love the way he put it between Ryder's legs just before the wrister . Now that's the Ryder of old.

No, no I heard the Shabs worked Chiarelli stealing Glyder before he could be brought back to Boston. The look on Ryders face was pretty much the look he had on his face during the 2nd n 3rd period game 7 of the Philly debacle.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

No, no I heard the Shabs worked Chiarelli stealing Glyder before he could be brought back to Boston. The look on Ryders face was pretty much the look he had on his face during the 2nd n 3rd period game 7 of the Philly debacle.

His positives have outweighed his detriments in Montreal so far, and it's not even been close.

As for Ovechkin, people were saying he was "washed up" 2 months ago. Yeah, about that......

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

OC, how can Ovechkin be doing all of this with his recent year's Corsi ratings?

This question is incoherent. I have no idea what you're talking about. Are you confused why ovechkin would have a bad 5v5 corsi rating during years he appeared to be playing 5v5 poorly, and why his 5v5 corsi rating rebounded when he appeared to be playing better 5v5? Do you not understand that the point of statistics is to quantify what happens on the ice? Either you really have no idea what the point of statistics are (are are completely at sea trying to interpret them) or you're just disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing (I suspect it's the latter)

but now that you bring up corsi, you've inspired me to take a closer look @ ovechkin's stats this season.

Couple points:

• Good reason to be suspicious about the Capitals, they aren't even close to where they were back in their hay-day when they crushed 5v5 play, they are giving up far to many shots directed on net per game at even strength. sure, they are still in the net positive, but it's just barely positive. Montreal, Pitt, Boston are the class of the east 5v5, Washington isn't close. I think this is particularly worysome because ovie is the league leader in shots, so his linemates and defenders are not able to cover the d-zone like they used to.
    • Ovechkin is where he is because of the power-play this season, he's almost equalled his production last season (78 games). Good for him. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

A bit off topic but they have been playing very well since getting Laich back.  Green as well.  

Ovie cracked the top 10 in scoring and has 20 goals.  They are 2 pts back of winnipeg and have 2 gms in hand.  This is the best hes played in yrs.  i think Oates should get some credit.  

Could the caps be buyers tomorrow.  I cant see them dealing ribereo after tonight and rumor has them trying to resign him.  

They have cap space some nice prospects to add.  Their top two lines are solid.  

I remember debating ovie with olsonic.  He said ovie was done.  I am saying he looks to be back.  Hes been awesome of late and he had a brutal start.  Outside shot at goal lead.  

Props to ovie for turning it around, turns out I am not clairvoyant.

But anyways, as far as corsi is concerned, it doesn't show the stat being wrong because ovie turned it around after two huge drop-off seasons. The whole point of stats is to quantify how a player is playing, and it's important to note that the stat normally is positive when you are playing well, and negative when you are not playing well (note that the composition of the players on your line really matters here to).

but anyways, as far as Ovechkin this season, let's be honest about what we're seeing out there. He is dominating on the power-play. His 5v5 numbers are just slightly above average right now, and no where near it was when he and the capitals dominated 5v5 play. Personally, I think it's a sign to pump the breaks on the capitals.

but anyways, I don't feel the need to come on these boards and defend corsi any more, I'm content knowing that this is how professional teams are looking at player analysis at the moment. If you wanna know how the pros look @ players, read up. If you think that you can watch NESN and listen to felger and Mazz and know how to evaluate talent, good for you.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Olsonic,

we had a back and forth debate.  You essentially said ovie was done and does nothing to help his team win.  I said that was complete bunk and still believe it is bunk.  It was a respectful debate so I'm not pumping my arm.  I only do that when Souray scores so San can eat my bu tt. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

Olsonic,

we had a back and forth debate.  You essentially said ovie was done and does nothing to help his team win.  I said that was complete bunk and still believe it is bunk.  It was a respectful debate so I'm not pumping my arm.  I only do that when Souray scores so San can eat my bu tt. 

I think it was reasonable to assume he was not going to recover to be the 5v5 strength he once was, and looking @ the numbers, he still hasn't recovered. his numbers are hugely inflated from the power-play. Personally, if I'm buying/selling Ovechkin right now, I'm selling to a market that doesn't realize how imbalanced his production is.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Olsonic,

I think it was reasonable to assume he was not going to recover to be the 5v5 strength he once was, and looking @ the numbers, he still hasn't recovered. his numbers are hugely inflated from the power-play. Personally, if I'm buying/selling Ovechkin right now, I'm selling to a market that doesn't realize how imbalanced his production is.

I'm not sure corsi watches the games.  He has been outstanding 5 on 5.  I watch a lot of their games.  The fact he is making good on his PP opportunities has no reflection on his overall play. 

He didn't fall off the map, he still had good numbers for anyone.  He just had off ovie yrs.  I am assuming hes back on track.  Again, corsi doesn't take into account systems changes and numerous coaching changes.  Lord he was playing with Joey Crabb and Jay Beagle.  Since being reunited with Backstrom he has been awesome. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Olsonic,

Also have to consider his cap hit.  For 9+M/yr in a 60something M cap, he better have elite 5 on 5 numbers and elite PP numbers.  Heck he better do everything.

Not knocking Ovie.  Just saying thats a lot of eggs to put in one basket.  Giant contracts come with giant expectatio

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

Olsonic,

I'm not sure corsi watches the games.  He has been outstanding 5 on 5.  I watch a lot of their games.  The fact he is making good on his PP opportunities has no reflection on his overall play. 

He didn't fall off the map, he still had good numbers for anyone.  He just had off ovie yrs.  I am assuming hes back on track.  Again, corsi doesn't take into account systems changes and numerous coaching changes.  Lord he was playing with Joey Crabb and Jay Beagle.  Since being reunited with Backstrom he has been awesome. 

he may have made plays that are visually appealing 5v5, but quantitatively, he's not making them more often than he is preventing them. That's the whole point of looking @ shot differential.

Agreed that it doesn't take into account scoring chances, I would obviously love to see +/- scoring chance numbers for ovie this year 5v5. I'm sure they're available somewhere. I agree that scoring chance differential is a better indicator than corsi.