Capitals and Ovie

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Capitals and Ovie

A bit off topic but they have been playing very well since getting Laich back.  Green as well.  

Ovie cracked the top 10 in scoring and has 20 goals.  They are 2 pts back of winnipeg and have 2 gms in hand.  This is the best hes played in yrs.  i think Oates should get some credit.  

Could the caps be buyers tomorrow.  I cant see them dealing ribereo after tonight and rumor has them trying to resign him.  

They have cap space some nice prospects to add.  Their top two lines are solid.  

I remember debating ovie with olsonic.  He said ovie was done.  I am saying he looks to be back.  Hes been awesome of late and he had a brutal start.  Outside shot at goal lead.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: Capitals and Ovie

Ovechkin has been back to being a thoroughbred lately. Good for him and the league. The NHL is better with him as one of it's stars.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

I'd read several articles over the last year or so proclaiming his decline but does anyone know what caused his dip?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Can't remember who, but someone on here blamed the cream and the clear (so to speak) when Ovechkin was linked to a steriod doctor.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

I mentioned a while ago that this team was slowly buying into Oates system, and they would be a tough out in the first round... I think they make the playoffs.. Certainly getting Laich and Green back has helped them for sure, and Holtby has been pretty good as well...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to cowboys9's comment:

I mentioned a while ago that this team was slowly buying into Oates system, and they would be a tough out in the first round... I think they make the playoffs.. Certainly getting Laich and Green back has helped them for sure, and Holtby has been pretty good as well...

If they can add a piece or two tomorrow especially a good dman plus some pk guys they could be dangerous.  They still have to catch winnipeg but i just checked their next few gms.  Nyi next which is huge, then florida and tbay.  By the end of the weekend they could be in 3rd place.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

If they can add a piece or two tomorrow especially a good dman plus some pk guys they could be dangerous.  They still have to catch winnipeg but i just checked their next few gms.  Nyi next which is huge, then florida and tbay.  By the end of the weekend they could be in 3rd place.  

Speaking of the NYI, Tavares is money. I love his game. Steady upward progression since day one. I think they also make the playoffs. I think the Sens will tank and miss.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

Speaking of the NYI, Tavares is money. I love his game. Steady upward progression since day one. I think they also make the playoffs. I think the Sens will tank and miss.

Sens are 5 up.  It would have to be a major tank job.  Tavares is definitely money.  I hope for him they get in.  Great young classy player.  Canada will be stacked.  Crosby, toews, taveres, bergie, giroux.  So many centers.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Sorry. 7 up with same amount of games.  I could see the devils falling out.  How the hek did they make the finals.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

Winnipeg is in a free fall and I see them folding badly.. Sorry Red..They had the Buffer playing wing after Antropov went out tonite.... Pavelec is just plain worn down and giving up 5 with regularity or so it seems....I can see Washington as 3rd seed for sure.. they have 8 of their remaining 13 games at home.. And some tough teams they face in the last week off the schedule might rest some stars..

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Winnipeg is in a free fall and I see them folding badly.. Sorry Red..They had the Buffer playing wing after Antropov went out tonite.... Pavelec is just plain worn down and giving up 5 with regularity or so it seems....I can see Washington as 3rd seed for sure.. they have 8 of their remaining 13 games at home.. And some tough teams they face in the last week off the schedule might rest some stars..

I agree....should be a good race to the finish

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Well it didnt take to the end of the weekend.  I had them for a bottom 3 finish.  Erat played with his old nashville partner ward, they played unreal together a few yrs back.  Caps are all healthy and playing well.  They get florida and tbay who have vinny back and bishop in net.  Should be a wild fight to the finish.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

I also predicted this team would not do that good this year. Shades of last year I guess.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Klaas' comment:

I also predicted this team would not do that good this year. Shades of last year I guess.

They have ovie backstrom and green playing like old.  they have 3 pretty solid lines and the 4th works their humps off.  Plus holtby has been solid after a bad start.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I remember debating ovie with olsonic.  He said ovie was done.  I am saying he looks to be back.  Hes been awesome of late and he had a brutal start.  Outside shot at goal lead.  

And you know what he used for his argument?  Those ridiculous, usless advanced stats.  OC is more defensive with Corsi stats than SanDog is with Max Sauve.  Ovechkin didn't forget how to play or lose his ability.  He just didn't damn care for a while.  The league didn't figure out how to stop him.  He just stopped.

And now he's back.

I wonder what the Corsi stats say now.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

And you know what he used for his argument?  Those ridiculous, usless advanced stats.  OC is more defensive with Corsi stats than SanDog is with Max Sauve.  Ovechkin didn't forget how to play or lose his ability.  He just didn't damn care for a while.  The league didn't figure out how to stop him.  He just stopped.

And now he's back.

I wonder what the Corsi stats say now.

I said corsi could kiss my behind then and now.  Ovie has passion again. You cant grade that stat. Hes having fun again in a system that oates has them playing.  His pp stats are a true reflection of how hes being used.  Hes back checking, blocking shots, hitting and leading.  How any stat said he was done is dumb.  as you pointed out...ovie decided he wants to be a player again.  And the coach is using him that way.  Great for hockey.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Oates moved Ovechkin to the right side this year after playing left wing forever. The words used for his play on the left wing were "getting stale". He was trying the same thing ( cutting to the middle ) the majority of the time at the blueline. Defencemen were anticipating this. Moving to the right side has given him different looks and options .

Oates did the same thing with Kovalchuk in New Jersey as an assistant. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

Oates moved Ovechkin to the right side this year after playing left wing forever. The words used for his play on the left wing were "getting stale". He was trying the same thing ( cutting to the middle ) the majority of the time at the blueline. Defencemen were anticipating this. Moving to the right side has given him different looks and options .

Smart move by Oates. Sometimes the stars need their comfort zone removed for their own good.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

Great point.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Ovie, backstrom.  Just pure magic.  Their pp is lethal right now.  Oates might get a chance for coach of the year.   Caps keep rolling.  

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Ovie, backstrom.  Just pure magic.  Their pp is lethal right now.  Oates might get a chance for coach of the year.   Caps keep rolling.  

Not really a telling game last night, Shupe.  The Panthers are the worst team I've seen in 20 years. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

One thing that is amazing is that Ovechkin is now two goals off the leader.  This cannot be.  People spent last summer the the lockout time showing us all of the Corsi stats which showed he was done, toast, finished, kaput.

But suddenly he's scoring again? 

Do you know why?

Because all of the advanced stats, the Corsi ratings and whatever else, are bunk.  They tell what has happened, but they don't tell why.  They also don't predict anything.  Hockey is a team sport.  Hockey is an emotional sport.  A guy goes into a funk for a week and his stats change.  His overall ability doesn't change. 

Ovechkin tearing it up this year is the worst thing that could have ever happened to any of these Corsi followers.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

One thing that is amazing is that Ovechkin is now two goals off the leader.  This cannot be.  People spent last summer the the lockout time showing us all of the Corsi stats which showed he was done, toast, finished, kaput.

But suddenly he's scoring again? 

Do you know why?

Because all of the advanced stats, the Corsi ratings and whatever else, are bunk.  They tell what has happened, but they don't tell why.  They also don't predict anything.  Hockey is a team sport.  Hockey is an emotional sport.  A guy goes into a funk for a week and his stats change.  His overall ability doesn't change. 

Ovechkin tearing it up this year is the worst thing that could have ever happened to any of these Corsi followers.

Bunk.  Corsi is bunk.  And ovie is torching all teams.  But agreed panthers arent the best.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Bunk.  Corsi is bunk.  And ovie is torching all teams.  But agreed panthers arent the best.  

They really are terrible, Shupe.  I'm heading over for Panthers/Senators tonight.  The building will be half empty.  The 1994 scoreboard will flash "Noise" and "Let's Go Cats" 100 times throughout the game, in an attempt to create a hockey atmostphere.  The $6 soda will be flat and the $7 hot dogs will be burned or cold.  I may have to walk a bit to get those, however, because many of the concession stands are closed.

This is how it goes on most night that an Orig6 team isn't in town.  When the B's, Leafs and Habs have been down here, the place was electric...for the other team! 

Florida isn't a bad hockey market.  There are plenty of fans around.  People just don't want to go to the games because the team is so bad.

Sections
Shortcuts