Capping Contracts?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Capping Contracts?

I got thinking the other day that maybe 1 solution to allowing teams to stay competitive would be to cap the amount of cash available in a contract to 50 million. Any GM would be allowed to spend  the 50 million however he sees fit. Maybe he'd like to sign a Bergeron type for 9 years at 5.5 or maybe he'd like to get an Ovechkin for 5 years at 9. It would be up to him. What do you guys think? Could something like that work?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Capping Contracts?

I think that's a cool idea, Dez.  I can hear the PA crying about it limiting earning potential, but I sure would be behind it's implementation.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

I figured it would be hard for any player to complain that 50 million isn't enough cash, regardless of how long it takes you to "earn" it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

No way players would go for it, they would never see it as the chance to make 50 million. They would just think about how all they can make is 50 million.

It is a neat idea though.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

I figured it would be hard for any player to complain that 50 million isn't enough cash, regardless of how long it takes you to "earn" it.

They are complaining about making millions of dollars for playing hockey.  They'd certainly find a way to complain about a $50MM cap on a contract.  The trick down ecomonics would end up hurting the pluggers, you know.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

• Kel, most players wouldn't really be losing money though. We'll use a guy like Crosby as an example. He could very well get an offer of 4 years at 12 under the system I propose and then he'd be a free agent again. I don't think the overall salaries would change all that much as the cap would still be in place. It would just eliminate teams being forced to match an offer for a player that guarantees money in excess of half of a team's overall worth. Weber's latest deal will give him 110 million. The most recently listed the value of the Preds was 163 million. Something about that sounds wrong.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

I'm not sure that the (apparently) arbitrary figure of $50m does anything to solve the problem.  In fact, I don't even think that owners would go for it,  because, in theory, it shortens the contract length of your most valuable players.  The best players in the league would become free agents after 5-6 years, while 2nd or 3rd tier players could be under contract for a dozen years or more.  Seems to me that it's the top players that GMs want under long-term contracts, but this system limits that ability.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

49, nobody is proposing all contracts have to be worth 50 million. It'd be a maximum. There is no reason to lock in a 3rd tier player for 12 years. That's just silly.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Yet, my main point was the concern with exposing your best players to free agency with greater frequency.  Forget the 2nd-3rd tier player point.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

49, I thought the owners were already trying to get deals capped at 5 years.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

What is at the HEART of your idea, Dez, is the ability to account for exceptions in a fair manner open to all teams.  The NHL needs to adopt such measures so circumvention/escalation does not happen at a pace they cannot handle.

The NBA has the "Larry Bird" rule, the NFL has the "Franchise Tag", and the NHL should have something like the "Dez" rule to fairly account for exceptions to the CBA.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Interesting idea. I wonder if this would actually work.