Captain Caveman

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Re: Captain Caveman

puckstopa - not saying that Bruins woes are related to Stuart's play.  I am saying that a couple nights in the press box can do wonders and right now they have an option in McQuaid. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from puckstopa. Show puckstopa's posts

In Response to Re: Captain Caveman:
    puckstopa - not saying that Bruins woes are related to Stuart's play.  I am saying that a couple nights in the press box can do wonders and right now they have an option in McQuaid. 
    Posted by MeanE

I do agree with you it does help some guys but if "The Coach" didn't bench #6 last year what makes you beleieve he would do anything of the sorts this season.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Exactly puckstopa!  Claude is Wade Phillips on ice.  A players coach.  Doesn't know how to use the healthy scratch, because he is afraid of hurting someone's feelings. I don't expect him to sit Mark.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rmcd. Show rmcd's posts

Gord Kluzak? Low blow. the guy played about 200 games in his entire career.  Why dont you pick on Normand Leveille while your at it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Low Blow?  I didn't say that all of the players mentioned were first round busts because of their talent alone.  Obviously Gord had injury problems, but it still qualifies as a first round bust in my opinion.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Please don't throw Normand's name around like that.  It's in very poor taste.  That kid was going to be absolutely special!  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rjd57. Show rjd57's posts

Draft position is irrelevant this far into the guy's career.  By season's end, he'll have played his position well for 300 NHL games.  That's no bust.  Jon Aitken is a bust. Replacing Stuart with McQuaid is no solution.  For defensemen, Stuart is second in blocked shots, and third in hits.  He's also (not including part timers) last in turn overs. As for his +/-, well, who is he usually on the ice with?  Stuart isn't looked upon to generate offense, so in order for his +/- to move up, other players will have to score.  The majority of the time, he's out there with Seidenberg, who also has zero goals.  He doesn't play with the top two lines. By all indications, the basis of him being terrible is that he was a first round pick and his +/- stinks.  I wouldn't say he's frequently out of position, and he skates just fine.  Who cares if he can accept a pass well?  Who is going to pass the puck to him? Baseless witch hunt.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Well said.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from twentyfour. Show twentyfour's posts

For what it's worth, I think the entire TEAM is playing like crap lately. And I think that Wheels was right when he said that the guys aren't all on the same page anymore. 

I try not to have a knee-jerk reaction when the team has a bad game or when an otherwise good player just can't get out of his own way one night.  But, at this point, it's obvious that something is wrong with the team as a whole.  That said, I don't think it's fair to hang it all on Stu (or any one player) because he's having the first really rough patch of his career.  It's just as unfair to say that things will be fine and dandy once Savvy gets back.  The fact is that these guys are a TEAM and what they accomplish and how they play is a function of how healthy the team dynamic is. Are the Bruins where they need to be to be an elite team?  Of course not.  But it might be time to remember that this is the SAME group of guys that blew all of us away at the beginning of this season. A month ago everyone was on board and feeling good.  Think about it...we've seen this group of players play so well that it was a little scary.  It wasn't a fluke. You can't play that well by mistake. 

Do I think they can get back to that?  I do.  Although I think it won't be this exact group that does it.  Chia has said that he's going to move someone to clear salary space, so the belief that he's about to clean house and find us that mythical puck-moving defenseman is just a dream some folks around here don't want to wake up from.  So whether he moves Paille or Hunwick or demotes Ryder, I'm thinking that the only change we're going to see is someone leaving for some draft picks.

The last thing we need right now is yet another goat.  Stu's had a rough go of it, sure...I can admit that.  But to say that he's a bust or the worst player on the ice?  God, no.  There are any number of players that I would gladly head slap during the course of a game.  The truth is that this is bigger than one guy and hanging it on one guy isn't going to solve the real problem.  If the team can't get on the same page then dropping this guy or getting that guy or demoting someone else isn't going fix a thing.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

I don't think anyone has said that it is all Mark's fault.  If someone needs a "slap", the press box is the vehicle.  IMHO Mark needed the slap, but it doesn't matter now that Hunwick was shipped out.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

I guess they picked Hunwick .

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Fletch - I am aware that the first round is littered with first round guys who never play 300 games.  However, I feel as though first round picks are going to hold more and more importance as the years progress within this cap world we now live in, and the Bruins have not drafted well on the defensive side. You are right, he has been respectable return for a draft pick, just not a first round draft pick.  Mark seems to be a good guy, he's tough, he buys tixs for the troops, etc...  It just seems to me that he has not developed his game in the 300 games that he has played and to my eye has been the worst player on the ice over the first 22 games.  Unless of course the waste of space Paille is in the line up.
    Posted by MeanE

Stuart was drafted in 2003, so the "draft picks are now more important" theory doesn't really stand with him.

I am not looking at his "good guy" efforts off the ice.  For his money, and his position, he's a good player.  Not everyone gets better as they play more.  Some guys are at a level and that's where they stay.

You probably hated Allen Pederson also.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

NAS - Great comparison with Allen Pederson.  If Mark Stuart was picked 102 overall instead of 21, then I would have no problem with the pick.  I already stated that the money was right for his spot on the depth chart.  I prefaced my statement about first rounders becoming more and more important and that the Bruins have failed more times then not in drafting defenseman in the first round.  I fully understand that it was under a different regime, but I would like for history to change.  So under your reasoning of some guys don't get better, if Seguin stays at the level he is at now, is he a first round bust?

By the way, I don't hate Mark Stuart.  I just feel that he has been consistently the worst player on the ice through 22 games.  I am not blaming him for the losing streak, I simply said that he should be sat for a few games and that he is a FIRST ROUND bust.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Griswal65. Show Griswal65's posts

why slag Gord Kluzak ?

seemed the guy played hard, to a fault, and was part of the late 80s O'Reilly teams that went deep with Edmonton..... blown knee, not much you can do. Just ask Cam...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

From my earlier post: "I didn't say that all of the players mentioned were first round busts because of their talent alone.  Obviously Gord had injury problems, but it still qualifies as a first round bust in my opinion."

Let's put it this way, what do you think the fans of the Portland Trailblazers think of Sam Bowie and Greg Oden?  Think they are calling those First Round selections busts?  Can you say MJ and Kevin Durant.  Gord only played 345 games for the B's.  Can you say Scott Stevens or Phil Housley, picks #5 and #6.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

NAS - Great comparison with Allen Pederson.  If Mark Stuart was picked 102 overall instead of 21, then I would have no problem with the pick.  I already stated that the money was right for his spot on the depth chart.  I prefaced my statement about first rounders becoming more and more important and that the Bruins have failed more times then not in drafting defenseman in the first round.  I fully understand that it was under a different regime, but I would like for history to change.  So under your reasoning of some guys don't get better, if Seguin stays at the level he is at now, is he a first round bust? By the way, I don't hate Mark Stuart.  I just feel that he has been consistently the worst player on the ice through 22 games.  I am not blaming him for the losing streak, I simply said that he should be sat for a few games and that he is a FIRST ROUND bust.
    Posted by MeanE

Maybe they should have taken Shawn Belle?  Danny Richmond?  Mike Egener?  Kevin Klein?  Tim Ramholt?  Matt Smaby?  Those are the defensemen drafted after Stuart.  Yes, Shea Weber and Matt Carle were also taken, but much later, meaning everyone assessed them incorrectly.

I guess you and I define the term differently and look at the draft differently.  I see the #21 pick as a good one, but by no means a sure fire NHLer. 

Can't compare Seguin to Stuart.  The #2 pick overall is much different than the #21.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

NAS- I found this http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/scott_cullen/?id=267960  Maybe I am being a little harsh about First Round Bust.  But as I said before, the NHL draft will become more and more important in the salary cap era and teams will have to spend more on upgrading their scouting staffs and techniques in order to succeed. NHL teams are going to have to, pardon the pun, score with their first round picks, like teams in the NFL have to.  Interesting to note that by Cullen's ratings, picks 21-25 have had a better average then picks 11-20.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camperpete. Show Camperpete's posts

Another moronic and stupid post. By the way, have you ever played hockey?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

I see that most of your posts are to call other posts stupid.  How old are you?  You obviously have nothing coherent to say.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

NAS- I found this  http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/scott_cullen/?id=267960   Maybe I am being a little harsh about First Round Bust.  But as I said before, the NHL draft will become more and more important in the salary cap era and teams will have to spend more on upgrading their scouting staffs and techniques in order to succeed. NHL teams are going to have to, pardon the pun, score with their first round picks, like teams in the NFL have to.  Interesting to note that by Cullen's ratings, picks 21-25 have had a better average then picks 11-20.
    Posted by MeanE

11-15 are reach picks, the "I know he has XXX wrong with him and that's why he fell to us, but we can't let him go" picks.

Stuart is not flashy.  Stuart is not a highlight guy (except for the big check once in a while).  Stuart is a solid stay at home defenseman.  If every defenseman drafted in the first round was a superstar, there would be studs on the 5-6 making $5M.

You continuously are referring to what is happening in today's NHL when talking about someone who was drafted pre-lockout.  The argument doesn't work.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Griswal65. Show Griswal65's posts

yep, bust is when the guy doesn't measure up, wets the bed etc. Kluzak played hard and succumbed to an injury as a result.... that's not a bust.... in fact, quality over quantity, he was an integral part of the last Bs teams to go to Cup finals.... short n' sweet, although he always had problems w/ Flyer goon Dave Brown - lol

Sections
Shortcuts