Captain Chara - The 7 Million Dollar Man

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ryder73. Show ryder73's posts

Captain Chara - The 7 Million Dollar Man

We gave Lucic a pass for a long time now. It's time to start talking about the 7 million dollar man. 

I know he is hard to play against when he plays but this guy has been a no show for a while now. He gets all this credit when he spins his 7 foot body around and scores on a backhander but nothing gets said about him constantly standing still, not hitting (nearly enough), making crappy (lazy) break out passes, not hitting the net with all the shots he gets set up for and he shows no passion. I notice he shows passion (and you can see it in his face) when he plays good. This guy makes 7 million a year and is the captain of his team. Guys who make that much money need to be much more consistent and do way more on the ice as far as i am concerned.    

ecially him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: Captain Chara - The 7 Million Dollar Man

You really think we need another whining and crying thread here today?  The complaining about Chara is already taking place on 4 different threads.

But yes, I think last night's game was about the worst I can remember from Chara.  He was awful.  But here's how you deal with it without coming apart at the seams:

1. Wait for the playoffs.  This guy has done enough for the team that you owe him that.  Sometimes veterans have trouble staying fully motivated and sharp in largely meaningless games that are bunched together more densely than any Bruins schedule we've ever seen.  Not saying last night was okay.  It was painful to watch.  But let's bank on Chara turning it around and being ready for the playoffs until we're proven wrong.  The past would support that approach.

2. If you could chose when to have Chara's worst performance in a game, when would it be?  Hmmm, if I had to answer, I would say late in the season, after a playoff spot had been clinched.  A game with very little meaning.  And against a bad team rather than a key game against a potential playoff or divisional opponent.  And during a week crammed full of games, so we can at least assume that there is fatigue at play, not just a loss of skill and motivation.  Maybe with the backup goalie in net too.

If Chara plays like that in the playoffs, I be right up on the whiner soapbox (#SoxFanBox) with everyone else.  But let's wait until it happens, or doesn't.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrandPapiRGods. Show OrrandPapiRGods's posts

He has played very poor lately. His body might be in great shape but I think what we're seeing is a mentally fatigued Chara. I was wondering last nigth if any of their poor play very recently can be attributed to the emotional drain the bombing incidents might have created. Not that I am saying that this shouldn't be happenning but these emotional pre-game ceremonies aren't helping that any. However, some things are more important than hockey, the list is short but :)

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ryder73. Show ryder73's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

You really think we need another whining and crying thread here today?  The complaining about Chara is already taking place on 4 different threads.

But yes, I think last night's game was about the worst I can remember from Chara.  He was awful.  But here's how you deal with it without coming apart at the seams:

1. Wait for the playoffs.  This guy has done enough for the team that you owe him that.  Sometimes veterans have trouble staying fully motivated and sharp in largely meaningless games that are bunched together more densely than any Bruins schedule we've ever seen.  Not saying last night was okay.  It was painful to watch.  But let's bank on Chara turning it around and being ready for the playoffs until we're proven wrong.  The past would support that approach.

2. If you could chose when to have Chara's worst performance in a game, when would it be?  Hmmm, if I had to answer, I would say late in the season, after a playoff spot had been clinched.  A game with very little meaning.  And against a bad team rather than a key game against a potential playoff or divisional opponent.  And during a week crammed full of games, so we can at least assume that there is fatigue at play, not just a loss of skill and motivation.  Maybe with the backup goalie in net too.

If Chara plays like that in the playoffs, I be right up on the whiner soapbox (#SoxFanBox) with everyone else.  But let's wait until it happens, or doesn't.

1. Dont respond to my post or anyone elses telling them what they should or should not say or think, you clown. 

2. I have seen him in the playoffs for the last 5 years, and guess what, he has not played well. Let me also remind you that except for 2011, the Bruins have been eliminated every one of those years too early! 

3. That game did not have very little meaning. 

4. If you dont like what someone says, simply dont respond. If this post is what you call, "coming apart at the seams", i feel for you buddy.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Maybe the OP should've mentioned he only wanted reponses from those who agree with him. That would save a lot of time and energy. Sure, crying about Fletch is still funny but.........

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Chara is terrible.  Trade him for that Cedfano guy.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to ryder73's comment:

1. Dont respond to my post or anyone elses telling them what they should or should not say or think, you clown. 

2. I have seen him in the playoffs for the last 5 years, and guess what, he has not played well. Let me also remind you that except for 2011, the Bruins have been eliminated every one of those years too early! 

4. If you dont like what someone says, simply dont respond. If this post is what you call, "coming apart at the seams", i feel for you buddy.

Ha.  I'm not sure where to start.  It is true that the Bruins have not won the Stanley Cup in four out of the last 5 years. Great point.  I'm not sure I believe that you watched Chara play in 2011, because he was (like most times) absolutely critical to the success of the team.  Matched up against the Sedins (best line in hockey at the time) for the entire series,  he and Seidenberg basically shut them down.  Dominated.  Go watch the tapes.

More importantly, you represent the new wimpy, entitled poster that seem to be coming here in droves.  You start a new thread, with a opinion, and then demand that everyone agrees with it, or they should "not comment".

This is an opinion board, built for discussion and debate.  If you don't have the stones to deal with disagreement, don't start a new thread.  You offered an opinion, I offered my disagreement with your opinion.  What's the problem?  Don't be such a wimp.  Disagreement is the name of the game here.  Debate is good.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

Leave the Big Guy alone.. he deserves a bad night here and there.. He is the last guy I worry on the Bruins.. Best thing the Claude could do is sit him out for the last three games.. I am sure like a lot of players he is playing with some minor injury that he is not revealing...I really don't care if Bruins finish 2nd or 4th... Playoffs are a new season, and anything can happen, and usually does..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Think we could trade him and that awful contract too? Chara is worse than Wideman and Kaberle!

No wonder why the Islanders and Ottawa got rid of him!!

Sky is falling!!!!

Bruins are done!!!!

Cedfano!!!!!

Fat!!!!!

Chiapet!!!!

Oh wait, what did the OP say?

You have chosen to ignore posts from ryder73. Show ryder73's posts

darn, my un-ignore function is broken.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Careful guys, the OP was very clear that he didn't want any comments on this thread which disagree with him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to nrguy's comment:

Think we could trade him and that awful contract too? Chara is worse than Wideman and Kaberle!

No wonder why the Islanders and Ottawa got rid of him!!

Sky is falling!!!!

Bruins are done!!!!

Cedfano!!!!!

Fat!!!!!

Chiapet!!!!

Oh wait, what did the OP say?

You have chosen to ignore posts from ryder73. Show ryder73's posts

darn, my un-ignore function is broken.

Mine is too and it's frustrating because I was interested in hearing Soxfan's speech about being the favourite to win "The Fairweathers".

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

Chara has probably played more minutes over the last 10 years against the very best offensive players in this league. He's been THE best shut down defencemen during that stretch, period. He's probably reaching the point in his career where he should be playing 18 to 20 minutes per game, and no more. At his size you gotta figure that his body is finally wearing down, especially this wacky year. He could probably use a rest more than anyone else of this squad, but I'm not sure CJ is smart enough to give him some.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ryder73. Show ryder73's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

Ha.  I'm not sure where to start.  It is true that the Bruins have not won the Stanley Cup in four out of the last 5 years. Great point.  I'm not sure I believe that you watched Chara play in 2011, because he was (like most times) absolutely critical to the success of the team.  Matched up against the Sedins (best line in hockey at the time) for the entire series,  he and Seidenberg basically shut them down.  Dominated.  Go watch the tapes.

More importantly, you represent the new wimpy, entitled poster that seem to be coming here in droves.  You start a new thread, with a opinion, and then demand that everyone agrees with it, or they should "not comment".

This is an opinion board, built for discussion and debate.  If you don't have the stones to deal with disagreement, don't start a new thread.  You offered an opinion, I offered my disagreement with your opinion.  What's the problem?  Don't be such a wimp.  Disagreement is the name of the game here.  Debate is good.

Well then, once again, we disagree.

I dont have to look at the tapes, my memory is fine and what i was seeing was Seidenberg playing the best hockey he has ever played in his life and (by far) being the Bruins best defenseman. I also remember a guy named Tim Thomas playing out of this world. I dont recall Chara handling the Sedins at all. In fact i remember him looking like a fool trying to defend them without hitting them. You take a look at the tapes, only this time, keep your eyes open while doing it.

Give me one memory of the Cup final, or even the stanley cup playofffs, where you think Chara made a difference in a game!? 

Like Thomas did, or Marchand, or Bergeron, or Seidenberg, or Ryder, or Peverly, or the 4th Line, or Recchi, or even Lucic.

I recall many plays those guys made that stand out in my mind and made a huge difference and none of them make 7 million a year.

Name one! You can't!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

starting to appreciate the NAS 100 + rule

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I dont recall Chara handling the Sedins at all. In fact i remember him looking like a fool trying to defend them without hitting them. 

Give me one memory of the Cup final, or even the stanley cup playofffs, where you think Chara made a difference in a game!? 

The above statements might be the most foolish things I've ever seen on here, and that's saying a a lot.

There is no way you watched the Stanley Cup finals, if you don't think Chara had an impact. Or maybe you watched it and didn't understand it.

Either way, I'm with bostonfan, no responding the newbies nonsense.  Lesson learned.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

Chara,  Norris trophey winner, Chara Stanley cup champion , Chara top 5 DMan even now at his age. When you play 27 minutes a game of course you will make mistakes.so many trolls have infected this board. If you don't like to watch the team play go find something else to do with your life. I see a lot of Montreal fans on this board riding PK Subban well he has no cup ring yet not even a Norris. So TROLLS get lost you know who you are.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Even a less than stellar Chara is still better then most out there. Hopefully, once the playoffs start he'll return to the more physical dominating player.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from riptide757. Show riptide757's posts

We gave Lucic a pass for a long time now. It's time to start talking about the 7 million dollar man. 

I know he is hard to play against when he plays but this guy has been a no show for a while now. He gets all this credit when he spins his 7 foot body around and scores on a backhander but nothing gets said about him constantly standing still, not hitting (nearly enough), making crappy (lazy) break out passes, not hitting the net with all the shots he gets set up for and he shows no passion. I notice he shows passion (and you can see it in his face) when he plays good. This guy makes 7 million a year and is the captain of his team. Guys who make that much money need to be much more consistent and do way more on the ice as far as i am concerned.    You are lost

ecially him.

You are lost

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

Even a less than stellar Chara is still better then most out there. Hopefully, once the playoffs start he'll return to the more physical dominating player.

chara at his worst is probably a top 10 D man in the NHL

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

How anyone doesnt appreciate chara is just mind boggling.  Absolute beast and ive indicated many times im not sure i can name one man in the league who is more valuable to their team.  

Im glad i stayed away a few days.  Instead of feuding with dez and san, and fending off book and fletch, i may go toe to toe with these morons.  Shuperman is the best squash player on here. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chef09. Show Chef09's posts

[QUOTE]

I also remember a guy named Tim Thomas playing out of this world.

If you remember Thomas- try to remember what he said about playing behind :"the best defenseman in the league".- his words, not mine.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

In response to mxt's comment:

Chara has probably played more minutes over the last 10 years against the very best offensive players in this league. He's been THE best shut down defencemen during that stretch, period. He's probably reaching the point in his career where he should be playing 18 to 20 minutes per game, and no more. At his size you gotta figure that his body is finally wearing down, especially this wacky year. He could probably use a rest more than anyone else of this squad, but I'm not sure CJ is smart enough to give him some.

In addition -- I realize +/- stats don't normally mean much but so far a +14 in a year where he is supposedly "struggling". He -- by far -- spends more time on the ice matched up with every top line in the league. Is he not the Chara of old? Without a doubt -- especially when he was with the Islanders taking shifts vs chump lines and sitting with minus 27's. I'll take him any day on my team (preferably rested).

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

Ok, so there are 6 hells of "Fairweather Fandom" instead of 5..

6. The "I bought a (insert player) shirt and Im pissed!" fair weather fan: Makes off the wall judgements regarding players because a lull in their play has somehow made their purchase of said shirt suddenly "not worth what I paid". In this type of fair weather fan, with their emotional investment in said player hanging in the balance they are required to "break up with them before he  breaks up with me".

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from getoffthephone. Show getoffthephone's posts

I know he is hard to play against when he plays but this guy has been a no show for a while now. He gets all this credit when he spins his 7 foot body around and scores on a backhander but nothing gets said about him constantly standing still, not hitting (nearly enough), making crappy (lazy) break out passes, not hitting the net with all the shots he gets set up for and he shows no passion. I notice he shows passion (and you can see it in his face) when he plays good. This guy makes 7 million a year and is the captain of his team. Guys who make that much money need to be much more consistent and do way more on the ice as far as i am concerned.    

ecially him.

Sections
Shortcuts