Captain Chara - The 7 Million Dollar Man

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from getoffthephone. Show getoffthephone's posts

Re: Captain Chara - The 7 Million Dollar Man

In response to ryder73's comment:

We gave Lucic a pass for a long time now. It's time to start talking about the 7 million dollar man. 

I know he is hard to play against when he plays but this guy has been a no show for a while now. He gets all this credit when he spins his 7 foot body around and scores on a backhander but nothing gets said about him constantly standing still, not hitting (nearly enough), making crappy (lazy) break out passes, not hitting the net with all the shots he gets set up for and he shows no passion. I notice he shows passion (and you can see it in his face) when he plays good. This guy makes 7 million a year and is the captain of his team. Guys who make that much money need to be much more consistent and do way more on the ice as far as i am concerned.    

ecially him.

Dude He helped your hero Ryder win the cup.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Well then, once again, we disagree.

I dont have to look at the tapes, my memory is fine and what i was seeing was Seidenberg playing the best hockey he has ever played in his life and (by far) being the Bruins best defenseman. I also remember a guy named Tim Thomas playing out of this world. I dont recall Chara handling the Sedins at all. In fact i remember him looking like a fool trying to defend them without hitting them. You take a look at the tapes, only this time, keep your eyes open while doing it.

Give me one memory of the Cup final, or even the stanley cup playofffs, where you think Chara made a difference in a game!? 

Like Thomas did, or Marchand, or Bergeron, or Seidenberg, or Ryder, or Peverly, or the 4th Line, or Recchi, or even Lucic.

I recall many plays those guys made that stand out in my mind and made a huge difference and none of them make 7 million a year.

Name one! You can't!

Despite your on-screen name is that of a former Bruin your position on Chara regarding being unable to recall one instance in the Stanley Cup playoffs while a Boston Bruin where this elite defenseman who has struggled at times this year has "made a difference in a game" suggests your screen moniker is more closely associated with the Habs not the Bruin era of his career. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Onthe405. Show Onthe405's posts

Chara looks beat and he was woeful ast night. I think with some rest he will be fine playoff time. Of any Bruins, he and Bergeron deserve the benefit of the doubt. Nothing less.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Give me one memory of the Cup final, or even the stanley cup playofffs, where you think Chara made a difference in a game!? 

Name one! You can't!

Wow. I think Fletch is right, you didn't watch the Finals. If you did, you would remember that during the final series against the Canucks, Chara made two saves, one that was a stick save when Thomas was flailing wildly during the second period, the second was in game 7 when it was 1-0 and Chara dropped down to a knee and made a glove save with Thomas well out of position.

I just named two, and those were just his SAVES, meaning he saved TT's butt on those two plays.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from getoffthephone. Show getoffthephone's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

I dont have to look at the tapes, my memory is fine and what i was seeing was Seidenberg playing the best hockey he has ever played in his life and (by far) being the Bruins best defenseman. I also remember a guy named Tim Thomas playing out of this world. I dont recall Chara handling the Sedins at all. In fact i remember him looking like a fool trying to defend them without hitting them. You take a look at the tapes, only this time, keep your eyes open while doing it.

Like Thomas did, or Marchand, or Bergeron, or Seidenberg, or Ryder, or Peverly, or the 4th Line, or Recchi, or even Lucic.

I recall many plays those guys made that stand out in my mind and made a huge difference and none of them make 7 million a year.

Name one! You can't!

Despite your on-screen name is that of a former Bruin your position on Chara regarding being unable to recall one instance in the Stanley Cup playoffs while a Boston Bruin where this elite defenseman who has struggled at times this year has "made a difference in a game" suggests your screen moniker is more closely associated with the Habs not the Bruin era of his career. 

I was thinking the same thing. lol He must be a Hab fan.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

1. Dont respond to my post or anyone elses telling them what they should or should not say or think, you clown. 

2. I have seen him in the playoffs for the last 5 years, and guess what, he has not played well. Let me also remind you that except for 2011, the Bruins have been eliminated every one of those years too early! 

3. That game did not have very little meaning. 

4. If you dont like what someone says, simply dont respond. If this post is what you call, "coming apart at the seams", i feel for you buddy.

Ha.  I'm not sure where to start.  It is true that the Bruins have not won the Stanley Cup in four out of the last 5 years. Great point.  I'm not sure I believe that you watched Chara play in 2011, because he was (like most times) absolutely critical to the success of the team.  Matched up against the Sedins (best line in hockey at the time) for the entire series,  he and Seidenberg basically shut them down.  Dominated.  Go watch the tapes.

More importantly, you represent the new wimpy, entitled poster that seem to be coming here in droves.  You start a new thread, with a opinion, and then demand that everyone agrees with it, or they should "not comment".

This is an opinion board, built for discussion and debate.  If you don't have the stones to deal with disagreement, don't start a new thread.  You offered an opinion, I offered my disagreement with your opinion.  What's the problem?  Don't be such a wimp.  Disagreement is the name of the game here.  Debate is good.

Name one! You can't!

Does blocking a goal in Game 7 of the SCF when the score is 1-0 count?

Your comments suggest you didnt watch any of the games if you think Zdeno Cahra didnt make a difference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkzuKnFteeM

heres the other one Red mentioned.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ryder73. Show ryder73's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

[QUOTE]

1. Dont respond to my post or anyone elses telling them what they should or should not say or think, you clown. 

2. I have seen him in the playoffs for the last 5 years, and guess what, he has not played well. Let me also remind you that except for 2011, the Bruins have been eliminated every one of those years too early! 

3. That game did not have very little meaning. 

4. If you dont like what someone says, simply dont respond. If this post is what you call, "coming apart at the seams", i feel for you buddy.

Ha.  I'm not sure where to start.  It is true that the Bruins have not won the Stanley Cup in four out of the last 5 years. Great point.  I'm not sure I believe that you watched Chara play in 2011, because he was (like most times) absolutely critical to the success of the team.  Matched up against the Sedins (best line in hockey at the time) for the entire series,  he and Seidenberg basically shut them down.  Dominated.  Go watch the tapes.

More importantly, you represent the new wimpy, entitled poster that seem to be coming here in droves.  You start a new thread, with a opinion, and then demand that everyone agrees with it, or they should "not comment".

This is an opinion board, built for discussion and debate.  If you don't have the stones to deal with disagreement, don't start a new thread.  You offered an opinion, I offered my disagreement with your opinion.  What's the problem?  Don't be such a wimp.  Disagreement is the name of the game here.  Debate is good.

Name one! You can't!

Does blocking a goal in Game 7 of the SCF when the score is 1-0 count?

Your comments suggest you didnt watch any of the games if you think Zdeno Cahra didnt make a difference.

heres the other one Red mentioned.

OMG! Yeah, i remember this well and you are making my point for me, he is standing still and turns the puck over and almost costs us that goal that he saved. WTF! Are you people serious. This is what you send when i ask for one memory, just one. LOL

That is not a 7 million dollar a year play to me. That looks like Shawn Thornton playing defense. :)  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ryder73. Show ryder73's posts

In response to red75's comment:

Name one! You can't!

Wow. I think Fletch is right, you didn't watch the Finals. If you did, you would remember that during the final series against the Canucks, Chara made two saves, one that was a stick save when Thomas was flailing wildly during the second period, the second was in game 7 when it was 1-0 and Chara dropped down to a knee and made a glove save with Thomas well out of position.

I just named two, and those were just his SAVES, meaning he saved TT's butt on those two plays.

Are you serious?!?? In both cases he turned the puck over in his own end. You have still not named 1.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

When playing well, Chara's biggest contribution on defense is breaking up plays before they even reach the point where a highlight-reel worthy move is needed.  Because of this, he is far more likely to be noticed when he makes a mistake than when he makes a good play.

Yes, he makes mistakes.  So does every other hockey player.  His whole body of work is still that of a stellar shut-down D.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Why are knowledgeable & intelligent posters responding to this piece of kief? 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

On of the easiest signs of the new and uninformed fan here is when they complain that Chara stinks.  Once you see that, it isn't worth responding because you're probably dealing with a 6th grader.

Anyone notice that Chara was voted the most difficult guy to play against in the league by other NHL players in the player survey.

What do they know?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

On of the easiest signs of the new and uninformed fan here is when they complain that Chara stinks.  Once you see that, it isn't worth responding because you're probably dealing with a 6th grader.

Anyone notice that Chara was voted the most difficult guy to play against in the league by other NHL players in the player survey.

What do they know?

fletch, it is important though, not to confuse the new, with the uninformed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

What do they know?

Not more than us that's for freakin sure Fletch! lol

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

Not only that, Im prety sure he's been voted that by nhl players multiple times the past few years.

That, on top of his Norris trophy, his multiple nominations (gotta count for something) and his cup ring, I'd say over-rated is probably the last word i would use to describe Cedfano.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

When a lockdown defenseman isn't noticed, that's generally a good thing.

But what I can remember of him is shutting down the most dynamic line in the NHL that year in 7 straight games. When he and Seidenberg are on the ice together, they form the best shutdown pair in the league. That's why the Bruins generally perform well against top-heavy teams; they can't score on those two, especially when Bergeron and Marchand are on the ice.

People do realize that he is paid to be a shutdown defenseman (and is arguably the best in the business at that, and is maybe having a down year, but still an elite defenseman), and not some offensive player like Kaberle, Cam Fowler, Karlsson, or even Dougie, right? He pitches in offensively from time to time (more than Boychuck, Ference, McQuaid), and generally does a great job of shutting down the opposition's top lines.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

ipot, I don't think anyone except for you has mentioned the future or the next five years for Chara.  The buffoon OP said that Chara has been bad for the past 5 years and was useless in the 2011 playoffs.

The Players poll for 2012-13 hasn't come out yet, so that's why we're looking at last year and the year before.

But the 2010-11 and 2011-12 pool both have Chara winning decisively in the hardest D-man to play against category.  The same time period the poster was referring to.  In 2011-12 Chara got 61% of the vote, with the next guy only getting 12%.  So the last time they voted, it wasn't close.

When the NHL players speak that decisively against the argument of someone who clearly doesn't watch hockey, or doesn't understand hockey, its kind of game, set, match on the debate.  Like, all over for ryder.

I agree though that the future is uncertain, and who knows how long this guy can be so good.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Another uneducated troll. Not sure why I'm responding, but sometimes you have to explain it to them like their a 2 year old.

So Ryder73, you think Zdeno Chara had nothing to do with the Cup win. Thats genious.

He led all players in the playoffs in plus/minus with a +16. Thats going against each teams best players. But you don't think he made a difference. When you win a stanley cup, three of the series going 7 games, and you lead the playoffs in plus/minus, I'd say he made a difference. In fact, anyone who is not mentally ill, would say that.

Here is his TOI for the seven game series against the Canucks.

Game 1. 28:09

Game 2. 28:12

Game 3. 23:46

Game 4. 24:44

Game 5. 27:00

Game 6. 23:36

Game 7. 27:12

See ya.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

Chara is heavily worked and would benefit from a few days off before the playoffs. He is still the most unique defenseman in the NHL in my opinion and will be playing at a high level for at least a few more seasons. However, I think after this season that Bergeron should become the captain of the Bs, while Chara assumes an A.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

ugh, here we go......

23. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts