Carl Soderberg in Boston this season according to CBC Pierre Lebrun

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

Re: Carl Soderberg in Boston this season according to CBC Pierre Lebrun

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

Doing well in the same league;

Jason Krog 37 yo, 43 pts 55 games (I remember him from UNH)

Joel Lundqvist, 31 yo, 34 pts 55 games

Ryan Gunderson 27 yo defsm 36 pts 55 games played 77 ahl games

Chirs Lee 32 yo defsm 41 pts 54 games career AHLer

so you think dreger isn't credible?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to Orrthebest's comment:

God you people want to make me want to slash my wrists.

Look at that league.

Why not get the guy who tearing it up in the SEL??

He's younger than Carl.

He's got 11 more pts than Carl.

He's 

George "Bud" Holloway !!!!

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=74655&encode=TRUE

He's an AHL reject who's tearing it up.  He'd better than Carl.  The AHL is better than the SEL, and Caron, Spooner, Knight, Suave, Tardif, Whitfield and even Bourque are better than Soderberg.

This post is absurd.  Fabian Brunnstrom had 17 goals and 12 assists in 55 games for the Dallas Stars, this year he has 9 goals and 9 assists in 54 games in the SEL for Frolunda.  The SEL must be a much better league that the NHL.  Did I do that right?

Plus for comparison sake Soderberg has 31 goals and 29 assist in 54 games.  Soderberg is on pace to break Hakan Loobs SEL goal scoring record.

Again - look at his age when he did that in the SEL - 18 or maybe 19.

Sure if you're lighting that league up when you're 17 18 19 you have a shot at the NHL.

But not when you're 27.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

I don't think it's credible that Soderberg is a top 6 in the NHL

Look at the league, the players in it how old they are and where they played before.

Make some comparisons and tell me where you see an older player in that league headed for the NHL, goalies aside, they can develop later.

Look at Soderberg's youtuble clips and remove the ones where he was in the Swe-1 lower league and when he had the sight in both eyes.

Read this article about Soderberg not regretting rebuffing the NHL

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=589224

Search the web and see how many times the Soderberg coming to Boston rumor starts and then is denied by Carl and his agent.

Soderberg is an intelligent guy and was studying dentistry, a pretty decent living outside of hockey.

And tell me why he'd leave his team before the first round of their playoffs.

And other than Dreger, what can you tell me that suggest he's NHL quality.

And tell me why you think he would decide to finally decide to come to the NHL even after their playoffs are over.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

Look at the league, the players in it how old they are and where they played before.

Make some comparisons and tell me where you see an older player in that league headed for the NHL, goalies aside, they can develop later.

Look at Soderberg's youtuble clips and remove the ones where he was in the Swe-1 lower league and when he had the sight in both eyes.

Search the web and see how many times the Soderberg coming to Boston rumor starts and then is denied by Carl and his agent.

Soderberg is an intelligent guy and was studying dentistry, a pretty decent living outside of hockey.

And tell me why you think he would decide to finally decide to come to the NHL even after their playoffs are over.

basically, all i'm saying is i think it's kind of ridiculous for you to take the stance that you're taking. You can't say in black and white that he has no potential. Evander Kane was so bad in the KHL that he was essentially cut. He's a really good NHL player. Some guys that tear up the SEL can't hack it in the NHL. You don't know until you know. We won't know until he plays in the NHL. I have no reason to think he can succeed in the NHL. However, I know that if Dreger trusts a guy enough to mention it, than that guy knows more about evaluating talent than you or I combined. Not saying I'm penciling him in as a second line center and putting Krejci on the block, but I'd like to see him play before writing him off. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

You have no clue about what your saying.  The SEL is the third best league in the world, only the NHL and KHL are better and it is about twice the level of the AHL.  If you want to read about it here is a link:  http://www.behindthenet.ca/projecting_to_nhl.php

Lets look at Thomas Holmstrom in SEL as a 23 year old 34 games 12 goals, 11 assists as a 32 year old during lockout 47 games 14 goals and 16 assists.  As a 33 year old back in the NHL 81 games 29 goals 30 assists.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rufus604. Show Rufus604's posts

According to Dreger he is currently Bruins property.  Does this mean that if the Bruins gave him a chance in the NHL he would have to pass through waivers?  I'm sure someone else would take a chance on him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

In response to Rufus604's comment:

According to Dreger he is currently Bruins property.  Does this mean that if the Bruins gave him a chance in the NHL he would have to pass through waivers?  I'm sure someone else would take a chance on him.

Because he is Bruins property (on reserve list) he does not have to go through waivers.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

I am sure all B's fans have some well-placed skepticism about Soderberg actually coming over or the level of play they will see from him.

That said, if PC wants to take a shot at him, he's earned my trust to see how it plays out.  PC has Cap Space, there are likely more buyers than sellers in the market and this move would only cost him some of TT's money.  Not trading Spooner, Koko or future picks to see if this guy can be a competent top-9 NHL forward.

Why not?

Hags picked up on the story.

http://www.csnne.com/blog/bruins-talk/bruins-have-discussed-bringing-soderberg

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

You have no clue about what your saying.  The SEL is the third best league in the world, only the NHL and KHL are better and it is about twice the level of the AHL.  If you want to read about it here is a link:  http://www.behindthenet.ca/projecting_to_nhl.php

Lets look at Thomas Holmstrom in SEL as a 23 year old 34 games 12 goals, 11 assists as a 32 year old during lockout 47 games 14 goals and 16 assists.  As a 33 year old back in the NHL 81 games 29 goals 30 assists.

Johan Franzen might be another decent guy to compare.  Played for Linkoping at 25, only scored 7 goals in 43 games (2004-05).  Joined the Wings in 2005-06 and has netted 4 seasons of more than 25 goals. 

Not saying Soderberg ever reaches Franzen's level, just making the point that he is far more productive in the same league for the same organization than Franzen was at a comparable age.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=62727

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

1) And tell me why he'd leave his team before the first round of their playoffs.

2) And other than Dreger, what can you tell me that suggest he's NHL quality.

3) And tell me why you think he would decide to finally decide to come to the NHL even after their playoffs are over.

So many questions !

1) The report had him coming over after their playoffs were over. 

2) Because the report said the BRUINS were pursuing him.

3) Uhhh.......... because he now wants to play in the NHL ?........he thinks he's ready ? .............you'd have to ask him directly this question.

Your welcome.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruins6. Show Bruins6's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

I am sure all B's fans have some well-placed skepticism about Soderberg actually coming over or the level of play they will see from him.

That said, if PC wants to take a shot at him, he's earned my trust to see how it plays out.  PC has Cap Space, there are likely more buyers than sellers in the market and this move would only cost him some of TT's money.  Not trading Spooner, Koko or future picks to see if this guy can be a competent top-9 NHL forward.

Why not?

Hags picked up on the story.

http://www.csnne.com/blog/bruins-talk/bruins-have-discussed-bringing-soderberg

Exactly!

It's worth the shot and wont cost anything in return.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Whatever.  It would be amusing to see if he's able to play in the NHL after all this time.  I have no illusions, though.  My bet is he'll be another Zinojiev - he'll play a few games, they'll realize they need better than he can give them until he acclimates to the NA game, they'll suggest sending him down to the A, he'll return to Sweden and we'll never hear from him again.

On the other hand, he shows up and is Swedish Michael Ryder.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Whatever.  It would be amusing to see if he's able to play in the NHL after all this time.  I have no illusions, though.  My bet is he'll be another Zinojiev - he'll play a few games, they'll realize they need better than he can give them until he acclimates to the NA game, they'll suggest sending him down to the A, he'll return to Sweden and we'll never hear from him again.

On the other hand, he shows up and is Swedish Michael Ryder.

Ryder's not Swedish?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

BadHab did Carl kill your dog or something? How can you be so adament about somebody not being able to play in the NHL when the guy hasn't played a game yet? I think it's you that needs to remove their head from a dark place. Maybe he will be a bust, but to argue this without seeing the guy actually play in the NHL is a little bit foolish No?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Because he is Bruins property (on reserve list) he does not have to go through waivers.

And also doesn't it have to do with NHL games played ?

Soderberg 0, Radulov had played quite allot already before coming back to the NHL...

Also if it helps the Bruins then I think it should done, I trust PC by now.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

BadHab did Carl kill your dog or something? How can you be so adament about somebody not being able to play in the NHL when the guy hasn't played a game yet? I think it's you that needs to remove their head from a dark place. Maybe he will be a bust, but to argue this without seeing the guy actually play in the NHL is a little bit foolish No?

1) youtube

2) the league he plays in combined with his age

3) his numbers which don't sit right on top of every other player's stats

.......you know , everything but actually seeing the guy play a game.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from heyoo. Show heyoo's posts

It comes down to the player not the legue he played in, how he has developed his game since playing over the pond. Kid couldn't possibly be worse then what we have been seeing out of the third line in terms of production. If he comes in and scores every other game I would give the kid the keys to the city. What is the worse that could happen he doesn't score and plays bad on d in that case he would fit right in with Kelly and pevs. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NegativeTrollsAbound. Show NegativeTrollsAbound's posts

BadHab must something's or something.  Soderberg was nicely rated when he was a drafted and is now older, more experienced but we discount his stats due to his league or success by other players league at league.

youre right on tommy cross, great job and was not a eal reach.

I'll take Dreger, Chia and Bruins management over your opinion. No offense meant.

he will sign, play a week at Providence and then be called up.  My prediction.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

TomObrien posted this in the other Soderberg thread, but has some quotes from PC.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/bruins_nhl/boston_bruins/2013/03/chiarelli_close_to_scoring_swede_carl_soderberg

Pulled a couple of quotes that caught my eye:

Chiarelli told the Herald he’s still waiting on final clearance from the league to make sure the move would be allowed, but he’s optimistic.

“We’ve been trying for five years to get him over here and it’s close,” said Chiarelli, who said the move wouldn’t stop him from continuing to explore the trade market. “He’s had a hell of a year and he’s grown into a big strong kid now, a man, and he’s told us that he feels he’s ready now. He’s a good player, big strong player. There are still some steps to go, but it looks good.”

Based on PC's comments, this sounds like a better than 50% chance.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

1) youtube

2) the league he plays in combined with his age

3) his numbers which don't sit right on top of every other player's stats

.......you know , everything but actually seeing the guy play a game.

But if PC & the rest of the B's brass see him as a good fit is that not good enough? I mean can he make the 3rd line any worse? Even if he puts in half of what Kelly hits the post it'll be more than the whole 3rd line point output. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Before this year, I'd have been with BadHab on this - at least to the point of saying "don't get your hopes up."  You wonder about things like competitive drive with a guy who keeps saying he wants to play in the NHL, but who won't actually commit to even coming to camp.  A guy who seems to have been pretty content playing in a second tier league in Sweden for a while - and it's not like he had anything like the success he's having this year then either. 

Even now, I still say it will be interesting to see what he can do, but I have no expectations.  He's never been a goalscorer of this magnitude at any level prior to this year, so there's no way of knowing if he's simply turned a corner - a Swedish Tanner Pearson who suddenly finds his groove and becomes a star - of if this is a flash in the pan and he'll be overmatched in the NHL.

Doesn't cost much to bring the guy over, and if you do it early enough, you can run the experiment a la the Bourque experiment, then move on if it doesn't work.  Just, you know, let's not recall Stanley's love affair with Mikko Lehtonen (who was, incidentally, a 30 goal scorer with Skelleftea two years ago).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NegativeTrollsAbound. Show NegativeTrollsAbound's posts

No riskcannon be a reward.  Don't ave to trade for him.

but he sucks?  He's Tommy Cross.  Is it that someone just wants to be right?

wait until he plays BH will be like Softlaw on the Sox board alayers layers.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I'm also thinking that PC is going this route becuase the trade front hasn't loosened up yet and Boston doesn't have to move a piece or trade anyone. I do believe this is the last year the Bruins have Carls rights as well.

Wow an actual Yetiberg sighting might occur...hmm...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Before this year, I'd have been with BadHab on this - at least to the point of saying "don't get your hopes up."  You wonder about things like competitive drive with a guy who keeps saying he wants to play in the NHL, but who won't actually commit to even coming to camp.  A guy who seems to have been pretty content playing in a second tier league in Sweden for a while - and it's not like he had anything like the success he's having this year then either. 

Even now, I still say it will be interesting to see what he can do, but I have no expectations.  He's never been a goalscorer of this magnitude at any level prior to this year, so there's no way of knowing if he's simply turned a corner - a Swedish Tanner Pearson who suddenly finds his groove and becomes a star - of if this is a flash in the pan and he'll be overmatched in the NHL.

Doesn't cost much to bring the guy over, and if you do it early enough, you can run the experiment a la the Bourque experiment, then move on if it doesn't work.  Just, you know, let's not recall Stanley's love affair with Mikko Lehtonen (who was, incidentally, a 30 goal scorer with Skelleftea two years ago).

That's where I am at Book.  Low-risk with potential Med/High-reward in play.

Like your point about Mikko Lehtonen, who was also a 2-time 20-goal man in Providence.

Also remember how geeked I was about the Yannick Riendeau signing, who has developed nicely into a point-per-game player in the ECHL.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

1) Their playoffs will be over after April 2 - which I believe is the trade deadline and I know there is a roster freeze date.

2) The Bruins have denied earlier reports that they were pursuing him back 7 days ago.  And now they are interested.  Odd.

3) He'd said he wants to remain in Sweden all along

And - the article I quote earlier says he doesn't have straight away speed, where people are picking that up from, I don't know.

And do some internet searches, this is 6 years running he's been rumored to be coming here.

And I don't know what I'm talking about regarding the SEL?  Bud Holloway is far and away the dominant points player in the league, please explain why one is interested in him.

Sections
Shortcuts