Carl Soderberg in Boston this season according to CBC Pierre Lebrun

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Re: Carl Soderberg in Boston this season according to CBC Pierre Lebrun

Bingo! Smart analysis.  Although I am with BadHab with regard to potential in the NHL.  Soderberg is like predicting weather in NE.  Ever changing amounts of precipitation.  

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Whatever.  It would be amusing to see if he's able to play in the NHL after all this time.  I have no illusions, though.  My bet is he'll be another Zinojiev - he'll play a few games, they'll realize they need better than he can give them until he acclimates to the NA game, they'll suggest sending him down to the A, he'll return to Sweden and we'll never hear from him again.

On the other hand, he shows up and is Swedish Michael Ryder.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

BadHab did Carl kill your dog or something? How can you be so adament about somebody not being able to play in the NHL when the guy hasn't played a game yet? I think it's you that needs to remove their head from a dark place. Maybe he will be a bust, but to argue this without seeing the guy actually play in the NHL is a little bit foolish No?

1) youtube

2) the league he plays in combined with his age

3) his numbers which don't sit right on top of every other player's stats

.......you know , everything but actually seeing the guy play a game.

And I'll do the same for div 2 college hockey and junior b players and midget players, yes there will be the odd exception, but the odds are that if they are good enough they won't be there.

Bizarre as my rationale is,  I really do believe that:

Good players tend to play in better leagues

Good players tend to put up better numbers when they are playing in lower level leagues.

You can compare players with each other and that says something about that league.

37 year old Jason Krog is playing there and leading his team in scoring, at any point in his career would you say he was or is a top 6 NHL player?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

1) Their playoffs will be over after April 2 - which I believe is the trade deadline and I know there is a roster freeze date.

2) The Bruins have denied earlier reports that they were pursuing him back 7 days ago.  And now they are interested.  Odd.

3) He'd said he wants to remain in Sweden all along

And - the article I quote earlier says he doesn't have straight away speed, where people are picking that up from, I don't know.

And do some internet searches, this is 6 years running he's been rumored to be coming here.

And I don't know what I'm talking about regarding the SEL?  Bud Holloway is far and away the dominant points player in the league, please explain why one is interested in him.

[/QUOTE]

I get your apprehensiveness about the guy. I have some as well, but you sound a little over  the top about it. Almost like it's personal, or something. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from inflamedcolon. Show inflamedcolon's posts

Providence is already doing well this year.  With the addition of Soderberg they're gonna be stacked!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

37 year old Jason Krog is playing there and leading his team in scoring, at any point in his career would you say he was or is a top 6 NHL player?

Don't be silly Bad Hab. You can't compare Krog with Soderberg. He is not a one-eyed Swede with a degree in dentistry.....obviously.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

6 years running and more or less this same discussion every year.

Very very tired of it.

He's practically half blind.  He's never played on an NHL size rink as far as I can tell.  From all the articles I've read about him I question his dedication, "naw, I feel like staying in Sweden, it's nice here."

Imagine yourself playing hockey for a living - and you don't show up to dev camp or rookie camp or any camp?  Why wouldn't you want to see how you stack up?  Maybe learn a few things and then return to Sweden?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

And today this;

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/07/report-bruins-hope-to-add-carl-soderberg-after-sel-playoffs/

Dreger polled various hockey people who seemed to gauge his value at somewhere between a guy who could be a top-nine forward or even a decent second-liner.

Hey all you 'if Dreger said it' people - how did we go from a top six to top nine "or even a decent second-liner"

Sure sounds like he's hedging his bets already.

Third best league in the world and the leading goal scorer in it is described as this?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

And today this;

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/07/report-bruins-hope-to-add-carl-soderberg-after-sel-playoffs/

Dreger polled various hockey people who seemed to gauge his value at somewhere between a guy who could be a top-nine forward or even a decent second-liner.

Hey all you 'if Dreger said it' people - how did we go from a top six to top nine "or even a decent second-liner"

Third best league in the world and the leading goal scorer in it is described as this?

Seems like the estimate is 2nd or 3rd liner.  At least that is how I would interpret the term "top-6".  Haven't heard anyone suggest that he is a top-line guy.

What's got you so upset about this?  Seems like all good news to me.  Add a player that might help the team without sacrificing any of PC's chips (players/picks)?  Might be a total bust or maybe he can't come terms and never comes over.  Just the option is interesting. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

Seems like the estimate is 2nd or 3rd liner.  At least that is how I would interpret the term "top-6".  Haven't heard anyone suggest that he is a top-line guy.

What's got you so upset about this?  Seems like all good news to me.  Add a player that might help the team without sacrificing any of PC's chips (players/picks)?  Might be a total bust or maybe he can't come terms and never comes over.  Just the option is interesting. 

I see this as a ploy by PC to use Carl as a bargaining chip for a possible trade. Drum up interest and then exploit it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to inflamedcolon's comment:

Providence is already doing well this year.  With the addition of Soderberg they're gonna be stacked!!!

And Providence gets KoKo and Camara soon as well.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

I see this as a ploy by PC to use Carl as a bargaining chip for a possible trade. Drum up interest and then exploit it.

Conspiracy theory?  Might believe the strategy.

Or, gain leverage in existing deals that PC has a fall-back plan and doesn't need "your guy" at that high price you are asking?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Now you're talking.  

This is the most sensible thing I've heard yet and I think you're onto something.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Conspiracy theory?  Might believe the strategy.

Or, gain leverage in existing deals that PC has a fall-back plan and doesn't need "your guy" at that high price you are asking?

Not necessarily a conspiracy, just PC playing all the cards in his deck. If Soderberg comes over and plays a few games in the NHL he will be a ufa for next season (he is 27) so he is not a long term solution anyway. Why not get some kind of use out of him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Not necessarily a conspiracy, just PC playing all the cards in his deck. If Soderberg comes over and plays a few games in the NHL he will be a ufa for next season (he is 27) so he is not a long term solution anyway. Why not get some kind of use out of him.

I don't even think he has to play in the NHL, he's a good bargaining chip right where he sits now.

It would explain all the hype he's getting.

Murphy said he was the 'scoring leader in the SEL' - misleading.  He's the *goal* scoring leader, but not the scoring leader.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

I don't even think he has to play in the NHL, he's a good bargaining chip right where he sits now.

It would explain all the hype he's getting.

Yep. It would not surprise me in the least to see his name attached to a trade in the near future...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

PC and staff wouldn't approach Soderberg (or anyone else) to play if they weren't talented enough to make a contribution in Boston. He's had some players work out better than others but overall has had a decent rate of success filling out the roster. I like to at least see someone fail before I'll call them a failure. That's just me though. 

Spot on dead exact 100% correct.

And that's why they haven't approached him, they gave up on him eons ago.  At that time he showed some potential, note how he started in the SEL and then dropped down to Swe-1.

Remember my $200 bet that Tommy Cross would never play in the NHL?

Another $200 says that Soderberg will never play in the NHL.

And we've got some bets folks.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Wrong Chiarelli loses Soderbergs rights after this season ends. No scouts have seen him ever play proffesionaly in North America so it's now or never.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Wrong Chiarelli loses Soderbergs rights after this season ends. No scouts have seen him ever play proffesionaly in North America so it's now or never.

Yes, but my point is that he can be used as a bargaining chip right now.

PC when dealing with another GM can use Soderberg as leverage, hey I got this guy from Sweden coming over so yah, we can talk but the price has to be cheap...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

In response to NegativeTrollsAbound's comment:

No riskcannon be a reward.  Don't ave to trade for him.

but he sucks?  He's Tommy Cross.  Is it that someone just wants to be right?

wait until he plays BH will be like Softlaw on the Sox board alayers layers.

Backup goaler, is that you?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Yes, but my point is that he can be used as a bargaining chip right now.

PC when dealing with another GM can use Soderberg as leverage, hey I got this guy from Sweden coming over so yah, we can talk but the price has to be cheap...

Not without seeing Carl against North American competition whether it be AHL or NHL.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Soderberg's the White Whale for some Bruins fans.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

And today this;

you're reaching already. He asked one guy. the guy said a solid 2nd line center. he asked a bunch of guys, the results ranged from top six to top nine. how is that hedging his bets?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

If this happesn, is it a precursor for a move for Alfredsson.  Would Alfredsson welcome the chance to mentor a fellow Sweede?  If traded for, would Alfredsson's presence tempt Soderberg to make the jump?

Imagine this:

Lucic Krejci Horton

Seguin Bergeron Marchand

Soderberg, Peverley, Alfreddson

Paille Campbell Kelly - great defensive fourth line

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to red75's comment:

Soderberg's the White Whale for some Bruins fans.

Most importantly Chiarelli hasn't been Captain Ahab about it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

And today this;

you're reaching already. He asked one guy. the guy said a solid 2nd line center. he asked a bunch of guys, the results ranged from top six to top nine. how is that hedging his bets?

Because his stock dropped from somewhere in the top six to somewhere in the top 9 and the last statement clearly says a "decent 2nd line" player.  So we moved from top six to middle 6.

This is a Swedish fairy godmother story for someone's agenda.

Just think about it.  You are a professional player going into the playoffs.  What have you got on your mind?  Playing for another league after the playoffs are over?  What?

There is nothing about this story that makes sense other than someone making it a story.

Sections
Shortcuts