Carl Soderberg in Boston this season according to CBC Pierre Lebrun

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Re: Carl Soderberg in Boston this season according to CBC Pierre Lebrun

This is a Swedish fairy godmother story for someone's agenda.

Just think about it.  You are a professional player going into the playoffs.  What have you got on your mind?  Playing for another league after the playoffs are over?  What?

There is nothing about this story that makes sense other than someone making it a story.

I agree with your take; however, there may be a simple answer to it.

A guy who has one eye, 27 years old, a big frame, has a touch, has experience but not NHL experience.

Its really impossible to predict how this guy is going to do.  If I was an NHL analyst , I wouldnt stick my neck out on this one (in either direction).  I think its very likely that he's hedging his bets.  And he should be.  Calling this guy a top 6 is too bold.  

This guy is the exact definition of a "wildcard."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

And today this;

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/07/report-bruins-hope-to-add-carl-soderberg-after-sel-playoffs/

Dreger polled various hockey people who seemed to gauge his value at somewhere between a guy who could be a top-nine forward or even a decent second-liner.

Hey all you 'if Dreger said it' people - how did we go from a top six to top nine "or even a decent second-liner"

Sure sounds like he's hedging his bets already.

Third best league in the world and the leading goal scorer in it is described as this?

you're reaching already. He asked one guy. the guy said a solid 2nd line center. he asked a bunch of guys, the results ranged from top six to top nine. how is that hedging his bets?

Because his stock dropped from somewhere in the top six to somewhere in the top 9 and the last statement clearly says a "decent 2nd line" player.  So we moved from top six to middle 6.

This is a Swedish fairy godmother story for someone's agenda.

Just think about it.  You are a professional player going into the playoffs.  What have you got on your mind?  Playing for another league after the playoffs are over?  What?

There is nothing about this story that makes sense other than someone making it a story.

dreger never once gave his opinion. he reported what an NHL source told him. did you miss my post where i said I don't think it's likely he pans out, but just find it so absolutely ridiculous that you are this adament that a guy that has never played in the NHL will not find success in the NHL?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Birds... the birds... He rises!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Sure a guy who has never played in the nhl could find success in the nhl, sure it's possible.

I'll just drop the entire talent issue, the story just doesn't make sense.  

The first round of the playoffs start on March 12 and his team is at the top of the league.  Is it unreasonable to think they'll go the distance?  Of couse not.  If other years can be used as an indication, their finals are over on or about April 19th.

Or let's say his team gets swept in 4 straight - that would get him here around March 20th, but that's pretty unlikely.

Just tell me of one other deal like this where a guy is playing somewhere else - has not played here before, and comes over to play in the nhl after his playoffs are over.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Sure a guy who has never played in the nhl could find success in the nhl, sure it's possible.

The first round of the playoffs start on March 12 and his team is at the top of the league.  Is it unreasonable to think they'll go the distance?  Of couse not.  If other years can be used as an indication, their finals are over on or about April 19th.

Or let's say his team gets swept in 4 straight - that would get him here around March 20th, but that's pretty unlikely.

Just tell me of one other deal like this where a guy is playing somewhere else - has not played here before, and comes over to play in the nhl after his playoffs are over.

Kreider just last year for the NYR.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from heyoo. Show heyoo's posts

Alexander radulov but he had played in the nhl before. Only one I can come up with as of now. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsGENIUS. Show bruinsGENIUS's posts

lets do this Carl!

open arms for you in Boston brotha!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

What are you talking about?

Never played in North America.

Is playing in a a foreign league and going into their playoffs

And then comes to the nhl

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to heyoo's comment:

Alexander radulov but he had played in the nhl before. Only one I can come up with as of now. 

Billions of guys who've been here, know what the deal is and then return here.  Not unusual, sorta like Miro Satan.  Or college guys, they go to the dev camps, get invited to other teams dev camps, they know the system.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

What are you talking about?

Never played in North America.

Is playing in a a foreign league and going into their playoffs

And then comes to the nhl

He came straight from college hockey to the NHL. You asked for a guy "who's never played here"....."played somewhere else". Now I suppose the new claim will be that U.S. college is better than Swedish hockey. How about you just quit your crying and put some cash aside for when he and Cross make their NHL debuts. Eventually you'll get something right. I promise you. Don't give up my foolish friend.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

1) Their playoffs will be over after April 2 - which I believe is the trade deadline and I know there is a roster freeze date.

2) The Bruins have denied earlier reports that they were pursuing him back 7 days ago.  And now they are interested.  Odd.

3) He'd said he wants to remain in Sweden all along

And - the article I quote earlier says he doesn't have straight away speed, where people are picking that up from, I don't know.

And do some internet searches, this is 6 years running he's been rumored to be coming here.

And I don't know what I'm talking about regarding the SEL?  Bud Holloway is far and away the dominant points player in the league, please explain why one is interested in him.

NOT ONE OF THESE IS TRUE.  please educate yourself a little before spewing your ignorance all over.  About a week and a half ago Carl Soderberg was quoted in a Sweedish new paper saying he thinks he is ready for the NHL and wants to play in the NHL.  Now as far as I know that is the firsrt time he has ever said that.  The link to it is in this thread from HF:  http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1265735

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to Orrthebest's comment:

NOT ONE OF THESE IS TRUE.  please educate yourself a little before spewing your ignorance all over.  About a week and a half ago Carl Soderberg was quoted in a Sweedish new paper saying he thinks he is ready for the NHL and wants to play in the NHL.  Now as far as I know that is the firsrt time he has ever said that.  The link to it is in this thread from HF:  http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1265735

The half board link points to this:

http://www.hockeysverige.se/article/14151495/hoppas-p-soderberg-i-nhl-efter-slutspelet

translated from the Swedish is this

Hope Soderberg in the NHL playoffs after

"It would be fun if he tries his wings"

Yesterday mrmadhawk.se revealed that Carl Soderberg is keen to stick to the Boston Bruins and try your luck in the NHL. Bruins Swedish scout Svenåke Svensson confirmed now hockeysverige.se that the interest is mutual.

- He has played so well and we have been patient with him a long time so it would be fun if he wants to try their wings now, says Smith.

Carl Soderberg, Linköping national team forward, has for several seasons been an issue for games in the NHL. First it was the talk of the game in the St. Louis Blues, who drafted him 2004th Later then, the Boston Bruins acquired over his rights and tried to persuade the spelskicklige Scanian to go over to the USA and Boston to try his luck. In an interview with hockeysverige.se January 10 this year, he also said that the NHL attracted very much.

Now, there is much to Soderberg will travel over to the NHL as soon Linköping season is over. Scout for Boston's former Kiruna and Djurgården player, Svenåke Svensson. Hockeysverige.se asked him how talking about Carl Soderberg goes away in Boston.

- Calle belongs to us, but he is under contract with Linköping. He stops the play and in which season. Then we'll see how it looks after the season.

Have you had a dialogue with him now during the season?

- Well then. We went out and ate dinner with him here in the odds Hockey Games down in Malmö. What he has said that he is eager to try their wings in the NHL, finally.

- We have had a dialogue with him all the time, but in that he felt ready before has it not been that he has been knocked over. Since then he has continued to develop good all the time, and clearly he is an exciting player.

Have you had over him at the camp one summer?

- Calle has never been to any camp with Boston. He's only been at St. Louis camp.

Could it be relevant that he already stands at Linköping season is over?

- Yes, I understand the agreement with the international federation, there may be such a possibility. I can not do that in detail, but it is so to speak on our management's table.

Would not it be important for Calle Soderberg getting routine from a World Cup before going over?

- So far we have not really discussed. But, as I said, Calle is interesting and has constantly continued to develop.

- He thinks himself that he is ready for the NHL, which we also like. He should go over and try. He waits too long, so goes the train for him. He has played so well and we have been patient with him a long time so it would be fun if he wants to try their wings now.

Carl Soderberg has accounted for 56 points in 50 games this season in Linköping. With that he lies second in the overall points league after Skellefteå Bud Holloway.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I was at the game last night and I couldn't believe how many were talking about this guy during the intermission .  I think it's pretty serious this time, more than it ever was , when a story is getting the coverage I've read for the first time I'm starting to believe it.

All I have to say is in PC I trust !  Let the pros do their jobs and so far the Bruins have done any moves that left me scratching my head.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Interesting that the article is dated Feb 26.

On or about March 1 this rumor leaked and Soderberg's agent said it was news to him.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Carl Soderberg has accounted for 56 points in 50 games this season in Linköping. With that he lies second in the overall points league after Skellefteå Bud Holloway.

BadHab- you post about Holloway like he is a total shlub.

- 3rd round pick of Kings in 2006

- Played Junior in WHL for Seattle

- Manchester Monarchs leading scorer @ 22 YO in 2010-11 (28-33-61)

Lombardi talks about losing players to the higher dollar opportunities in Europe, Holloway included.  You should stop acting like he is an utter failure because his nickname is "Bud".

http://mayorsmanor.com/2011/08/kings-gm-dean-lombardi-on-holloway-mollers-european-vacation/

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

Lombardi talks about losing players to the higher dollar opportunities in Europe, Holloway included.  You should stop acting like he is an utter failure because his nickname is "Bud".

http://mayorsmanor.com/2011/08/kings-gm-dean-lombardi-on-holloway-mollers-european-vacation/

au contraire

They (the NHL)  certainly should have a look at Holloway and I don't understand why people aren't talking about him.  He has more points than Soderberg and is younger.

He has decent size, played in the AHL so he understands the smaller rinks and N. American pro hockey.  Makes more sense than Soderberg I think.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

au contraire

They (the NHL)  certainly should have a look at Holloway and I don't understand why people aren't talking about him.  He has more points than Soderberg and is younger.

He has decent size, played in the AHL so he understands the smaller rinks and N. American pro hockey.  Makes more sense than Soderberg I think.

My Bad, seemed like you have been using "Bud" Holloway as a punchline reason for why Soderberg's number should be discounted.  Didn't realize you were such a fan of his game, so you are hping PC brings him in instead of Soderberg?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

My Bad, seemed like you have been using "Bud" Holloway as a punchline reason for why Soderberg's number should be discounted.  Didn't realize you were such a fan of his game, so you are hping PC brings him in instead of Soderberg?

No, I wouldn't call myself a fan, I've never see him play either, but the player leading in goals and assists sounds better than the second in line.

There's something really fishy about this.  Dreger's tweets

27 year old Carl Soderberg hoping to join Bruins after Swedish Elite playoffs. 6'3, 225 lbs. Property of Bruins. Led SEL in scoring.

225?  Everywhere else he's listed at 207.  And he leads the SEL in goals, not scoring, as pointed out, Holloway leads in scoring.

One top NHL team says Soderberg is a solid 2nd line centre. Bruins like his versatility on the wing as well.

Here he's a sold 2nd line center, the other tweet puts him on a 3rd line and *maybe* second.

Bruins have promised Soderberg's SEL team, Linkoping they will not interfere with their playoff run which begins next week.

And another proof against one of the "lies" I've been accused of - even if all this works out he won't be coming over here until after there playoffs are over and near as I can figure they start the 12th and if they get swept he's here in 2 weeks.  More than likely they'll go deep and he won't be available for over a month.  And that brings me back to Holloway, if he could come here as I imagine 99% of N. Americans would and get a contract he'd have no problem turning his back on Sweden and never coming back.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

No, I wouldn't call myself a fan, I've never see him play either, but the player leading in goals and assists sounds better than the second in line.

There's something really fishy about this.  Dreger's tweets

27 year old Carl Soderberg hoping to join Bruins after Swedish Elite playoffs. 6'3, 225 lbs. Property of Bruins. Led SEL in scoring.

225?  Everywhere else he's listed at 207.  And he leads the SEL in goals, not scoring, as pointed out, Holloway leads in scoring.

One top NHL team says Soderberg is a solid 2nd line centre. Bruins like his versatility on the wing as well.

Here he's a sold 2nd line center, the other tweet puts him on a 3rd line and *maybe* second.

Bruins have promised Soderberg's SEL team, Linkoping they will not interfere with their playoff run which begins next week.

And another proof against one of the "lies" I've been accused of - even if all this works out he won't be coming over here until after there playoffs are over and near as I can figure they start the 12th and if they get swept he's here in 2 weeks.  More than likely they'll go deep and he won't be available for over a month.  And that brings me back to Holloway, if he could come here as I imagine 99% of N. Americans would and get a contract he'd have no problem turning his back on Sweden and never coming back.

Isn't Holloway's team the #1 seed in Elitserien?  Isn't he bound by the same restrictions as Soderberg and Linkopings?

Might be missing your point.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment

Isn't Holloway's team the #1 seed in Elitserien?  Isn't he bound by the same restrictions as Soderberg and Linkopings?

[/QUOTE]

He has a point?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

My point was that if Holloway were to break the rules and leave his team for the NHL he would care less about whatever fallout there would be from the SEL as he would probably never look back.

I had assumed that there were no NHL SEL agreed  upon restrictions because the tweets said that the Bruins agreed not to interfere.  I am guessing that the Bruins wouldn't have had to make that agreement if there were already an agreement in place between the SEL and NHL.

I could be completely wrong and there might be an NHL SEL agreement in place, but in that case why did the Bruins promise his team not to interfere?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

Let's trade him for Hamill.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

My point was that if Holloway were to break the rules and leave his team for the NHL he would care less about whatever fallout there would be from the SEL as he would probably never look back.

I had assumed that there were no NHL SEL agreed  upon restrictions because the tweets said that the Bruins agreed not to interfere.  I am guessing that the Bruins wouldn't have had to make that agreement if there were already an agreement in place between the SEL and NHL.

I could be completely wrong and there might be an NHL SEL agreement in place, but in that case why did the Bruins promise his team not to interfere?

I don't know either BadHab.  Seems like both Soderberg & Holloway are under contract with an Elitserien Team for the past few seasons.  Not sure what the ramifications would be.

Found this article that suggests that Elitserien only allows for full-year contracts.  Perhaps, this governs the contract limitations.

http://pushforpros.wordpress.com/2012/08/23/the-lockout-threat-elitserien-holds-on-to-its-contract-ruling/

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

He has a point?

True. I don't have a point, I have several.

I don't believe he's all that good.

I don't believe he's sincere about coming to the NHL

I believe he's being hyped by media misinformation.

What I believe - PC is using Soderberg as leverage in current negotiation with some other GM.

Sections
Shortcuts