Carl Soderberg in Boston this season according to CBC Pierre Lebrun

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Re: Carl Soderberg in Boston this season according to CBC Pierre Lebrun

Interesting link within the Spooner called-up thread:

http://www.stanleycupofchowder.com/2013/3/8/4077788/carl-soderbeg-stats-lies-and-videotape

Forgive me if this was already linked in this thread.  I don't remember seeing it.  Anyway, the author refers to some stats provided by the behindthenet.ca guy on NHL equivalency.  It suggests that the SEL is about 78% of the NHL in terms of quality, and is currently the second-best league in the world. 

The particular metric used may or may not apply to an older player like Soderberg, though.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to DrCC's comment:

Interesting link within the Spooner called-up thread:

http://www.stanleycupofchowder.com/2013/3/8/4077788/carl-soderbeg-stats-lies-and-videotape

Forgive me if this was already linked in this thread.  I don't remember seeing it.  Anyway, the author refers to some stats provided by the behindthenet.ca guy on NHL equivalency.  It suggests that the SEL is about 78% of the NHL in terms of quality, and is currently the second-best league in the world. 

The particular metric used may or may not apply to an older player like Soderberg, though.

I've seen that metric before and I think it's 100% crap.  I don't see how you can say that if a player from any other league can translate his points to an NHL total.  All you *might* be able to say is how much potential the player may have.

You can play in the SEL at age 16 and there have been a few, how many 16 year olds can honestly play in the NHL?

And look around the rosters of SEL teams, the few foreign players they let in are - in general - career AHL guys and they do quite well.

I've taken a fair amount of flack for this, but I will stand by it, IMO the AHL is approximately the same talent level as the SEL

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

I've seen that metric before and I think it's 100% crap.  I don't see how you can say that if a player from any other league can translate his points to an NHL total.  All you *might* be able to say is how much potential the player may have.

My understanding (based on the limited information in that article) is that this number is really meant to only do that.  That is to say, it looks at the 16 year olds you mention, and other young players that played in that league and then made the jump to the NHL and finds a point ratio, I think for only the first year.  It should be indicative of the quality of defense they are playing against, but it should also only really be used for players at a similar point in their career.  It may simply reflect that only the best of the best even try to make the jump.

In fact, probably a more precise interpretation of the metric is that it indicates how easy it is for a player to transition from that league to the NHL, which I think is about more than just quality of competition.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Yes Dr.  You are correct.

Carl's team is still up 3 games to 1

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

FINALLY found a page that spells out the SEL so even I can understand

http://www.sportstats.com/hockey/sweden/elitserien/standings/

Soderberg's team is out of the first round.  They are waiting for one series to finish

This SEL page in english, interesting bit I don't remember reading before;

Boston previously had concerns about Söderberg's ability to play two way hockey and be able to defend as well as he scored goals. They were also anxious about how the six-foot-three forward would adjust away from Sweden and if he could mold his style to North American Hockey

http://www.hockeyligan.se/blog/5/

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

So Soderburg's on his way then? Booked his flights? Should be at practice next week?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

So Soderburg's on his way then? Booked his flights? Should be at practice next week?

No.  by 'out of the first round' I meant they won their first round

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Oh, out of the first round ,not out in the first round.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

Oh, out of the first round ,not out in the first round.

And his team is out in the second round

Sections
Shortcuts