Caron Re-Signed.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Re: Caron Re-Signed.

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to jmwalters' comment:
    [QUOTE]

He's 24.  He just took a contract that is barely above the minimum.  I don't know why they're bothering to hang onto him outside of Chiarelli's ego.

[/QUOTE]

I think they see him as a Plan C. Plan A: offseason trade to find a capable NHL rw. Plan B: Providence prospect or two step up in camp to fill a couple roster spots. Plan C: Caron to be an opening day warm body and stop-gap.

He knows the system and CJ knows him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

He's 24.  He just took a contract that is barely above the minimum.  I don't know why they're bothering to hang onto him outside of Chiarelli's ego.

[/QUOTE]

I think they see him as a Plan C. Plan A: offseason trade to find a capable NHL rw. Plan B: Providence prospect or two step up in camp to fill a couple roster spots. Plan C: Caron to be an opening day warm body and stop-gap.

He knows the system and CJ knows him.

[/QUOTE]

We have a bingo!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We have a bingo!

[/QUOTE]

I am waiting for Chowda to bingo your bingo

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to islamorada's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You guys are so bad. The Calder Cup is a stake, we have secured it with this signing. 

"Don't judge me monkey" 

[/QUOTE]

I doubt anyone is expecting Caron to be paid 600,000$ to go to the minors. He'll be on an NHL roster again this year.

[/QUOTE]

I didn't see anything about a two way deal, but from what I read about PC's comments it sounds as if he will be dealt.

[/QUOTE]

It's a 1 way deal like he had last year. He took a 40,000$ pay cut though.

[/QUOTE]

He earned every penny of that pay cut. His performance has only one way to go, and that's up. It probably won't be here, but who knows.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[QUOTE]

Irrelevance is his #1 demon.  The guy gets ice time on one of the best teams in the last decade and does absolutely nothing.  I hope everything works out for him in life, but not in Boston.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think Chiarelli wanted to qualify him.  It reads to me, based on comments and the timing of the qualifying offer, like they tried to move him before the deadline and had enough interest to make them think there's a market for the kid - just a "not right now" market.  Teams want to make some other moves first and see if they still have a use for him; they're more interested if he's already signed than if he's going to RFA on them; they want to see how other moves shake out.  So rather than let him become a UFA, Chiarelli thought he could get some value in return and qualified him.

Now I just hope he isn't getting rolled.  I can see the PC pc - "We had four or five teams interested in Jordy when we had discussions before we qualified him, but after we qualified him, we found the interest wasn't really there.  That's why we've sent him to the Belarussian Super Elite Chuck E Cheese league where he will be off our cap and on the stage with animatronic rodents Monday, Thursday and Saturdays."

[object HTMLDivElement]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to mxt's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He earned every penny of that pay cut.

[/QUOTE]

No truer words were ever typed on these boards....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

With Caron's lapsed contract, that was the ONLY solace I took in the end of the Bruin's season... now this and a thread on it to boot.

Stop it Chiarelli!!!!!

Lets GO BRUINS!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

It was scarcasm, I am inclined to think it is short money on the fact KOKO, SPOONER, or Dr. Zhivago don't make an impression. To be dealt, Caron only wishes. The fact of the matter is the minimum Cap is now a focus as the NHL teams start securing their rosters for training camp. PC just made a conservative gamble. Dez thanks for commenting, it more than I usually get. I certainly don't know the game on the ice like other posters, I certainly don't know of all the intricacies strategy from the coach to GM, but I do think I have a clear idea what Chicago signed off as 4th liners two years ago after they won the Cup. Do you?

[QUOTE]

In response to islamorada's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You guys are so bad. The Calder Cup is a stake, we have secured it with this signing. 

"Don't judge me monkey" 

[/QUOTE]

I doubt anyone is expecting Caron to be paid 600,000$ to go to the minors. He'll be on an NHL roster again this year.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Irrelevance is his #1 demon.  The guy gets ice time on one of the best teams in the last decade and does absolutely nothing.  I hope everything works out for him in life, but not in Boston.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think Chiarelli wanted to qualify him.  It reads to me, based on comments and the timing of the qualifying offer, like they tried to move him before the deadline and had enough interest to make them think there's a market for the kid - just a "not right now" market.  Teams want to make some other moves first and see if they still have a use for him; they're more interested if he's already signed than if he's going to RFA on them; they want to see how other moves shake out.  So rather than let him become a UFA, Chiarelli thought he could get some value in return and qualified him.

Now I just hope he isn't getting rolled.  I can see the PC pc - "We had four or five teams interested in Jordy when we had discussions before we qualified him, but after we qualified him, we found the interest wasn't really there.  That's why we've sent him to the Belarussian Super Elite Chuck E Cheese league where he will be off our cap and on the stage with animatronic rodents Monday, Thursday and Saturdays."

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

Turns out that it's Caron who didn't want to be qualified. If he accepted a qualifying offer then it would've been a 2 way deal meaning he could get sent down and make only a small percentage of his current deal.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

The Caron and Bartkowski signings are the sign of the B's Apocalypse....I'm disgusted by both. I don't think either help the B's, and I didn't get either when you consider all the free agents out there.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

More minutes may help....or not. Caron's major issue has been consistency and intensity. He will have a good couple of games and then disappear entirely for what seems like half a season. I don't know if any sane coach will keep feeding him minutes I he can't perform at a high level game in, game out.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This is what I find so puzzling about him. I've thought about his situation if it were not on one of the league's elites and struggle to rationalize how it could somehow be different. He knows the Bruin roster is solid so you'd think it would be in his best interests to make a dent whenever he gets a shot; to let brass know they didn't make a mistake drafting him and to carve a career for himself as a Bruin.

I'm trying to find the correlation of increased minutes on, say 30th place Buffalo somehow unlocking what Chiarelli saw in him in the first place. More games for Caron means a further refinement or blossoming of his skills or more of the inconsistent form we're used to seeing?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

More minutes may help....or not. Caron's major issue has been consistency and intensity. He will have a good couple of games and then disappear entirely for what seems like half a season. I don't know if any sane coach will keep feeding him minutes I he can't perform at a high level game in, game out.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This is what I find so puzzling about him. I've thought about his situation if it were not on one of the league's elites and struggle to rationalize how it could somehow be different. He knows the Bruin roster is solid so you'd think it would be in his best interests to make a dent whenever he gets a shot; to let brass know they didn't make a mistake drafting him and to carve a career for himself as a Bruin.

I'm trying to find the correlation of increased minutes on, say 30th place Buffalo somehow unlocking what Chiarelli saw in him in the first place. More games for Caron means a further refinement or blossoming of his skills or more of the inconsistent form we're used to seeing?

[/QUOTE]

The guy can play a solid 2 way game when given consistent opportunities. He had decent numbers as a rookie scoring 10 goals in his first 71 games stretched over 2 seasons. As Kel pointed out earlier in the thread, Caron played well in his minimal opportunities with good linemates like DK and Lucic. He didn't look out of place with them at all. Maybe that slapper to his face has had more of an effect on him than originally thought because his career took a nosedive statistically around the same time. The year before the injury he had 7 goals and 8 assists in 48 NHL games. He also put up 13 points in 17 AHL games. Immediately after the injury he only managed to put up 3 points in 17 NHL games and 18 in 47 AHL games. I'm not making excuses for him but the guy proved himself capable of playing in the NHL as a 20 year old. It's hard to believe that he could washed up and useless only 3 years later. I think his problems are likely more mental than physical. If not, he's aging terribly. I still have confidence that I'll see him eventually with an NHL pension. Whether it's in Boston or not, he's going to continue being an NHL player. As a point of full disclosure, I should add that my scout buddy thinks I'm a fool for still believing in Caron. He sees the same player that most of you guys see. Maybe I'm wrong. We should find out this season though.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

[QUOTE]

...I should add that my scout buddy thinks I'm a fool for still believing in Caron. He sees the same player that most of you guys see. .

[/QUOTE]

^ for your buddy lol

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Sportsnutty's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

...I should add that my scout buddy thinks I'm a fool for still believing in Caron. He sees the same player that most of you guys see. .

[/QUOTE]

^ for your buddy lol

[/QUOTE]

I'm well aware of being in the minority on this topic. Maybe it's just my stubbornness but I still see a serviceable bottom 6 NHL player in Caron. The league is filled with guys that are sound defensively while adding minimal offense but your one dimensional scorers like a Bochenski come and go. Like I said, we should know for sure after this season if he's going to continue being an NHL player.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Sportsnutty's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

^ for your buddy lol

[/QUOTE]

Its OK Dez,sometimes it takes a true friend to point out what a blind man can't see. ;-)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The guy can play a solid 2 way game when given consistent opportunities. He had decent numbers as a rookie scoring 10 goals in his first 71 games stretched over 2 seasons. As Kel pointed out earlier in the thread, Caron played well in his minimal opportunities with good linemates like DK and Lucic. He didn't look out of place with them at all. Maybe that slapper to his face has had more of an effect on him than originally thought because his career took a nosedive statistically around the same time. The year before the injury he had 7 goals and 8 assists in 48 NHL games. He also put up 13 points in 17 AHL games. Immediately after the injury he only managed to put up 3 points in 17 NHL games and 18 in 47 AHL games. I'm not making excuses for him but the guy proved himself capable of playing in the NHL as a 20 year old. It's hard to believe that he could washed up and useless only 3 years later. I think his problems are likely more mental than physical. If not, he's aging terribly. I still have confidence that I'll see him eventually with an NHL pension. Whether it's in Boston or not, he's going to continue being an NHL player. As a point of full disclosure, I should add that my scout buddy thinks I'm a fool for still believing in Caron. He sees the same player that most of you guys see. Maybe I'm wrong. We should find out this season though.

[/QUOTE]

dez, I also keep hoping for whatever success mechanism that would somehow propel him to succeed to happen in Boston. You're right. We've seen glimpses of NHL form from him. Do you think the mental aspects you mention come from him feeling like he feels constantly under the gun to make something happen on the ice whenever the chance comes especially being with a strong team where spots are few? Would there be less if he were a Sabre?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

[QUOTE]

I'm well aware of being in the minority on this topic. Maybe it's just my stubbornness but I still see a serviceable bottom 6 NHL player in Caron. The league is filled with guys that are sound defensively while adding minimal offense but your one dimensional scorers like a Bochenski come and go. Like I said, we should know for sure after this season if he's going to continue being an NHL player.

[/QUOTE]

I'm just busting your chops Dez. I have to say this thread wasn't worth commenting on until you added your continued defense of JC... sadly the only similarities are the initials.

My thoughts on Caron are based about 1/2 as much regarding his ability to play well in the NHL, as much as it is my feelings that the guy has been given his chance and then some. He's entered into the Zach Hamill zone for me.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Caron and Bartkowski signings are the sign of the B's Apocalypse....I'm disgusted by both. I don't think either help the B's, and I didn't get either when you consider all the free agents out there.

[/QUOTE]

Two words: warm bodies

But seriously, the idea I think is to sign them and try to get something for them via trade rather than letting them go after years of developing them. In theory, it makes sense. In practice, though, it al depends on if anyone else actually wants them. If not, senseless clogging up of roster spots.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

One annoying thing about Caron's contract is that if he isn't traded he can't be buried in the minors. His contract will still count towards the cap. So, he may well make the opening day roster, if only because of this.

If he isn't traded of course. though I can't see a line of other GM's outside PC's door clamouring for Caron's services.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

"resigned"

I hate this word.

I hate hate hate this word.

I cannot tell you how many times I've seen this in print and thought

"so and so resigned?  Really?  Amazing!  He quit his contract and resigned??"

And then I find out it's exactly the opposite of what I thought.

Then other times I've seen that word in print and thought

"so and so resigned? Really? Amazing! They are bringing that guy back despite the horrible job he was doing??"

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"resigned"

I hate this word.

I hate hate hate this word.

I cannot tell you how many times I've seen this in print and thought

"so and so resigned?  Really?  Amazing!  He quit his contract and resigned??"

Then other times I've seen that word in print and thought

"so and so resigned? Really? Amazing! They are bringing that guy back despite the horrible job he was doing??"

[/QUOTE]

Badhab,you have to be resigned to the fact that resigned can mean resigned but also resigned,its just the way it is.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Oh boy....grammar police out this Saturday.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

Caron is getting $600,000.  He's earned over $4.6M in his short career.  Nice chunk of change for a 24-year-old.  Hopefully, he is investing it wisely.  I seriously doubt he'll be in the NHL in 2 years.