CBC coverage superior to NBC networks

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kavubob. Show kavubob's posts

CBC coverage superior to NBC networks

Today I watched the replay of game 2 on the NHL Network and they used the CBC feed. It was so much better to watch it than the original that was on the NBCSN. The announcer and commentator never said anything stupid or corny and they had more camera angles than NBCSN. Shortly after Paille scored the winning goal they showed Neely and PC celebrating. I'm just getting tired of hearing Doc Emerick's voice as well as the lame questions to the players after the game. CBC does a much better job.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Re: CBC coverage superior to NBC networks

The camera work may be superior, but having to listen to Glen Healy for 1 minute let alone a 60 minute game plus OT is comparable to a paper cut on the eyeball, painful.But thats just me.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Healy hasn't been a trainwreck this year.  He hasn't added a ton, but without the memo from the top saying "we are pro-Canadian franchise winning the Cup!!", he hasn't been reaching for idiotic things to say.

The worst by far is listening to the bozos on the Sportsnet panel - Kypreos in particular is dumber than a bag of Stanleys.  His latest gem was that Corey Crawford will get the same treatment Luongo has received if he doesn't turn it around in Boston.  Really?  Guy has been awesome, and unless he gets lit for 15 goals in the next two games - I'm fine with that - I think he'll be remembered as a guy who out-duelled Quick and took his team to the Finals, not a guy who suddenly lost his way and shot his mouth off like a fool to boot.

Are you not entertained?!?!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

Now that the Bruins are in the Final, Simpson and Healy and Hughson have to give them recognition - have to. They are somewhat better now that they've stopped preferring one team over another. In the Toronto and Pittsburgh Series it was like watching a game with 'Rainman' nattering in your ear the whole time. If you were in a rink, sitting beside these guys you'd ask to move to other seats.

Simpson and Hughson are Vancouver guys who call all Canuck games and are still not quite over 2011 - especially Simpson. (aka 'The Chuckler'. He has that extremely annoying tic/problem Gord Kluzak had of always saying everything with a faux-wry chuckle - maddening!)

Healy needs to retire some phrases like 'Lights out' and  '...not so much'.

Hughson needs to stop using the word 'Smeagol' as a verb. ie. 'He just smeagoled past that check.' I love 'Lord Of The Rings' but geez, did he just see it? It makes me think 'Smeagol' is calling the game.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Has there ever been a play by play guy who didn't have tics like that, though?  Or a colour guy?  95% of what happens on the ice happens 1000s of times a season, so you'll get that kind of thing where they use something once, it's unique, then they do it again, and it becomes old, and over and over again, it's a personal flaw.  Not disputing the maddening aspect of this, but I understand the need for shorthand for these guys.

I wouldn't have put too much weight on Hughson and Simpson being Canuck homers - Hughson was a national play by play guy out of Toronto, for TSN, before moving to Vancouver - but then I heard them host a sportsradio pre-game for one of the 2011 Finals games, and let me tell you - when they thought they were talking only to the Vancouver audience, they were null-like in their commentary.  Truly eye-opening.  Bad enough that the only other time I heard something like it, it came from a guy who got fired shortly thereafter for making comments about Tie Domi's wife, I think.  Same guy commented that a rookie Bergeron would get what's coming to him after he laid a huge hip check on, of all the rats, Vaclav Varada.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Well I would expect it to be considering it's Canada's national pastime.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrandPapiRGods. Show OrrandPapiRGods's posts

I find american national broadcasts to be quite dumbed down. Love the NESN broadcast though. The toughest things about watching CBC, 1. Healey=windbag. 2. Simpson and Hughson's obvious lack of respect for the Bs and their homerism in general. This isn't so evident in the finals. 3. Bob Cole, thankfuly not doing this series, icon, love the voice but he's too far past his prime.
    Best parts of CBC. Ron and Don. The panel, minus Healey. Great coverage in general. Best in the business.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

The thing about CBC coverage I like is that it is good to go to a place where hockey is treated so reverentially - it is hockey church - they take it very seriously. Sometimes you can hardly believe the attention to detail. They know the passion of their audience and they don't forget it.

Fluto and Dupont (print media, I know) could stand to watch a CBC broadcast or two - if only to see what they are missing.. These two guys are irreverent to a fault, bordering on disrespect for the game - sometimes I think it is to hide the fact that they are both half-a-hocky-chromosome short.

They could stand about 10cc's of that Canadian passion for the game - if they knew or cared about or respected their audience/subscribers - as evidenced here - they would know that the market could bear it. 

Perhaps they won't. Perhaps the can't.

It's the Final!

No more pictures of burritos.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

is the "crosby-cam" still working? hate to miss him rim a putt, and then cry to the grounds keepers.   

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Healy hasn't been a trainwreck this year.  He hasn't added a ton, but without the memo from the top saying "we are pro-Canadian franchise winning the Cup!!", he hasn't been reaching for idiotic things to say.

The worst by far is listening to the bozos on the Sportsnet panel - Kypreos in particular is dumber than a bag of Stanleys.  His latest gem was that Corey Crawford will get the same treatment Luongo has received if he doesn't turn it around in Boston.  Really?  Guy has been awesome, and unless he gets lit for 15 goals in the next two games - I'm fine with that - I think he'll be remembered as a guy who out-duelled Quick and took his team to the Finals, not a guy who suddenly lost his way and shot his mouth off like a fool to boot.

Ain't that the truth.It makes you wonder how some of these jocks get their jobs. Other than having played hockey on the 4th line i don't know what qualifies Kypreos.He's out and out horrible and some of the stuff he says i can't beleive he actually said it or he miss spoke. After hearing him miss speak numerous times i have finally come to the conclusion he is just stupid.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Funny about this thread. I love Darren Pang, but the other day I actually heard him say that "Doc" Emerick is the best announcer on the planet! I just about threw up. If I had the option to choose 3 people to call a game on TV I'd pick Chris Cuthbert, Gord Miller, or Jack Edwards. For the color I'd take Mike Johnson, or Darren Pang. 

FWIW- I detest Kype as much as I do Healy & Millen. However, he was the 1 that tweeted that Subban won the Norris days b4 the awards came out. He took a lot of heat for it & said he was unprofessional for doing it. I disagree, he works for Sportsnet & has to go up against the Dreger's, McKenzie's who work for TSN of the hockey world. Nick will probably never get to their status, but if I was in his shoes & got that info? I would've ran with it too. 

"Why is a puck called a puck? Because Dirty little bastar d was taken!"- Marty Brodeur

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrandPapiRGods. Show OrrandPapiRGods's posts

In response to gord11's comment:

The thing about CBC coverage I like is that it is good to go to a place where hockey is treated so reverentially - it is hockey church - they take it very seriously. Sometimes you can hardly believe the attention to detail. They know the passion of their audience and they don't forget it.

Fluto and Dupont (print media, I know) could stand to watch a CBC broadcast or two - if only to see what they are missing.. These two guys are irreverent to a fault, bordering on disrespect for the game - sometimes I think it is to hide the fact that they are both half-a-hocky-chromosome short.

They could stand about 10cc's of that Canadian passion for the game - if they knew or cared about or respected their audience/subscribers - as evidenced here - they would know that the market could bear it. 

Perhaps they won't. Perhaps the can't.

It's the Final!

No more pictures of burritos.

Well put! I especially like the church/CBC analogy

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrandPapiRGods. Show OrrandPapiRGods's posts

In response to adkbeesfan's comment:

is the "crosby-cam" still working? hate to miss him rim a putt, and then cry to the grounds keepers.   

That made me gag too. I could see if he had been lighting it up but come on

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Just put on 98.5 and stream it while watching CBC

-----------------------------------------
    "Lighten up Francis"

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I have to admit CBC has been much better in this years final than in 2011 and for round1 against the Leafs. 

I think what the Bruins did to the Pens , beating them 4 straight , kind of tenderized them . 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

One more thing I really hate NBC for, as soon as the game is over it good night, good bye and they cut to the scheduled program.  Not sure they're still doing this now but I found it really annoying.

If you have a DVR and can delay it long enough to coordinate your TV feed with 98.5 Boston's sports Hub that is the best !

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Fitting for this thread. (plus nullifies the others)

http://www.thescore.com/buzz/articles/946470-hnic-game-3-opening-montage

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

During the regular season and playoffs I actually am relived when I see the game is going to be TSN or CBC. I would actually pay more to have the bulk of the Center Ice games on those networks beacuse of the game breakdowns and who they have in between periods.

Case in point last night Eddie O reportinng the Chara mishap and Hossa's glass groin were matter of fact. Posters on HFboards were talking about it on last nights game thread for like 10 minutes already.

Aside from Hughson and Cole cheerleading in the 1st round, I agree with the title of the thread.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

it just empties some of the fun, having to hear Emrick and his nasal, over-hyped delivery, where every shot attempt is the greatest save in NHL history. It would have been fun to have Dan Kelly call these B's 11 and 13 playoff runs. That would have been classy, professional and exciting. But hearing Emrick over and over again is simply fingernails-to-chalkboard.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I'll take CBC over NBC, but I'll take TSN for their intermission reports over either of them.

21. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts