CBC takes patronizing to a whole new level

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

CBC takes patronizing to a whole new level

Well this just ticks me right off

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/cbc-to-air-alternate-commentary-for-women-during-stanley-cup-finals/article2441685/

The CBC is going to be offering an alternate play-by-play for the Cup finals aimed directly at women. Well not all women, just non-hockey fan women.

From the article:

"

Viewers can go online to listen to an alternate commentary from Lena Sutherland and Jules Mancuso, who run WhileTheMenWatch.com. They describe their site as a sports talk show for women, “Sex and the City” meets ESPN, with banter “from a woman’s point of view.”

“One afternoon while (our husbands) were both watching the same game on TV Jules and I were on the phone and we started just making comments to each other like, ‘Did you see that guy’s hair?’ and ’What’s going on with that coach wearing the suit four sizes too big for him?“’ said Sutherland of their web show’s inspiration.

“And we kind of thought, ‘Wow, this is funny, wouldn’t it be great if we could tune into an alternative version of the commentary from a female perspective?’ And that was kind of where we got the idea.”

On Twitter, a slew of posts denounced the programming as sexist.

“Seriously #CBC? While the Men Watch? I’m a serious sports fan and can go toe to toe with any male fan. Thanks for the patronizing insult,” wrote Laurie Kempton.

In an interview, Kempton — who follows hockey, soccer and NFL football — said she doubted her non-sports-watching female friends would be interested in the commentary.

“They would equally be insulted. Most of the women who are my friends are engaged in gender issues, they’re looking for equality and full participation in all aspects of life, whether it’s politics or arts or sports, and the idea that it’s limited in this kind of really narrow paternalistic way, they would be insulted,” Kempton said.

“It’s incredibly patronizing and insulting and I can’t believe in 2012 we’re reduced to dividing sports along decades-old gender stereotypes.”

Marsha Boyd, an Edmonton Oilers season-ticket holder, agreed and said she has a group of female friends who love hockey just as much as the guys do.

“It’s quite insulting to anyone who’s a woman and a sports fan, as if we don’t exist or we can’t possibly enjoy hockey without looking at pretty boys,” she said."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: CBC takes patronizing to a whole new level

Now I'm pretty sure that the guys on this board respect my opinion on the game. And I don't think anyone here would doubt my bonafides as a hockey fan. To me to have something like this, which degrades both  hockey and female fans in one fell swoop, is absolutely insulting. I can understand trying to attract new fans, but wouldn't the sport be better served by educating those new fans on the 1-3-1 rather than Brown's hairstyle?

I wouldn't listen to this idiotic idea of a broadcast if you paid me, and I know an awful lot of hockey fans that would agree with me.

what's more galling is that Wickenheiser supports the idea, in the hope it will attract new fans. It prompts me to agree with Guywithdathing (think that's his moniker) "The day Pink Hats take over the Bruins is the day I empty a clip."

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Dumb and Dumber broadcast!  Yikes, just go to a bar and watch a game if one wants comedy and casual remarks. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Unreal. It makes zero sense on so many levels.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Found a sample of their commentary, and it makes me even more irate:

“What is up with that goalie? He is shaking his head like a fish out of water. You totally missed it. Look at him, see. I think his helmet’s too tight.”

“His hair is in his face, Jules. He can’t even stick a hand in there to move it away. Did you see how long his hair is? It’s like to his shoulder.”

ARE YOU F'ING KIDDING ME?!! My taxes are actually going to be used to pay these two twits??

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

It's amazing how the CBC can alienate so many people, with a single programming decision.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: CBC takes patronizing to a whole new level:
    [QUOTE]Found a sample of their commentary, and it makes me even more irate: “What is up with that goalie? He is shaking his head like a fish out of water. You totally missed it. Look at him, see. I think his helmet’s too tight.” “His hair is in his face, Jules. He can’t even stick a hand in there to move it away. Did you see how long his hair is? It’s like to his shoulder.” ARE YOU F'ING KIDDING ME?!! My taxes are actually going to be used to pay these two twits??
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Wait till NAS finds this thread and decides to put out the fire with gasoline.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

How utterly stupid.

Is the reason that more women don't watch hockey because they can't keep up with the advanced male commentary??  I think not.

A horrible idea.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: CBC takes patronizing to a whole new level:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: CBC takes patronizing to a whole new level : Wait till NAS finds this thread and decides to put out the fire with gasoline. Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

Beat me too it, he's cracking his knuckles and adjusting his chair lol

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In Response to Re: CBC takes patronizing to a whole new level:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: CBC takes patronizing to a whole new level : Beat me too it, he's cracking his knuckles and adjusting his chair lol
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

I'm sure he'll have a reasonable contribution to make, one which includes an indepth and congenial analysis of gender issues and how they are represented through sports media in a manner that properly reflects on the propogation of stereotypes and gender bias.

And I have no idea how I just typed that with a straight face.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Can't see what all the fuss is about. There are women/men who take their game seriously and want in depth analysis of the game from the "experts".

Then there are men/women who will watch the game but could care less about all the finer points of the game.

This is just an alternative for those who want to be entertained in a different way other then listening to the talking hockey heads. If it's entertaining in a humorous way there will be those who'll listen. If it's not, then goodbye.

Of course there will always be those who make a mountain out of a mole hill.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Sadly, those comments are no dumber than what Glen Healey has to offer on any given day.  Or Bob Cole.  Or the prince of stupid, Mark Lee.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Look, I'm all for whatever the people want here.  I just can't believe that, in any world, this is what the people want.  An example of something that a government entity might try, but the private market would never waste time on.

Or, maybe I'm wrong.  Are there clamoring masses of women who love watching hockey but change the channel because the commentary of Glenn Healy is too nuanced and technical for them??  Maybe I'm out of touch.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Red, of course we respect your opinion...for a girl.
    <ducks />    I kid! I kid!

Can you say patronizing?

"Mike Richards, he's so dreamy, and he's rarely caught out of defensive position on the backcheck through the neutral zone"

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

women will spend more at the gift shop, etc. Its a demographic ploy.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Giesse. Show Giesse's posts

NHL2K (kinda like MST2K - without TomServo?!!)

The trouble is that MST2K ribs BAD movies deserving of ridicule.  And we're all in on the joke.
    As much as I believe hockey is a game and by definition should be fun, if I were a fan who
    also happened to be female, I'd be seriously questioning the decisionmaking behind this.
    If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck... it rather smacks of patronizing.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

As the CBC continues to drift into total irrelevancy, they come up with these ideas to keep themselves from the big axe that should have fallen decades ago. 

Personally, I don't see the problem with alternate programming, as everyone has there own tastes. Some people like the Rolling Stones, and some like the Beatles (okay I am old). 

Dissing people for wanting something different, or those that provide something different is more of a concern to me than whatever slight against the norm you may feel has been done. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

For me, TV is the ultimate free market.  People watch, or the show gets cancelled.  If nobody is interested in "While the men watch", then it'll go down in CBC history as an experiment gone wrong.  On the other hand, who knows? Maybe it'll become the hit of the year... lord knows, I can't understand how some people can sit through some of the absolute garbage that's out there now...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

My biggest problem is that it's airing on the CBC - a taxpayer funded public broadcaster.
    This service, if there actually are more than a handful of people intwerested, is already provided by the freemarket on Whilethemenwatch.com. It's not a service or content that needs to be provided by cbc.ca.

But beyond that, it is a massive missed opportunity that plays into stereotypes rather than into reality. According to surveys, 40.8 per cent of the NHL's fan base is female. Let me say that again - 40.8. If you want to be more "female friendly," fine - get Bob Cole off the air and give the mike to Cassie Campbell. (who along with Scott Oake is one of the few bright spots in the current HNIC crew, imo)

But I've looked through while the men watch - it's absolutely not about hockey, and they take pride in saying they don't want to learn anything about the game. How does that, as Wickenheiser hopes, help grow the fanbase? All it is is a constant mocking and ridiculing of the game, in the most banal of Valley Girl tones.

Some of you are right when you say to each their own, and people can watch what ever they want to. But if the free market is already providing a service, one that has questionable appeal and likely a small market share, why does the public sector need to step in? There's not another broadcaster in Canada that can do something like "Dispatches", yet the CBC gives that the ax and this the go ahead. That's horribly poor decision making in terms of how to best allocate tax dollars.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

It's a stupid idea, but I think it's no-risk for CBC.  As was said, it could be a hit or a dud, but I don't believe enough people will be so offended that it will matter at all. (no direspect Red, I expect you and people like you to be offended, but I don't think the numbers are there.)

I will say I turn the channel when Cassie Campbell speaks.