1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCDottie. Show BDCDottie's posts

Changes to forums and comments

Hi everybody,

As you can see, we've launched new discussion forums, article comments, and personal profiles on the site. We've always relied on software from other companies to power our user tools.  But during the past few months, we've built our own – we think this will give us more flexibility and control over these features.

Here in the forums, we had to delay the implementation of some of the features that you like: The gold star that brings you to the first unread comment, Ignore this user, spell check, add an image, and some others. We have a working list of items to restore in the coming days and weeks.

There’s a fuller explainer here: http://www.boston.com/community/note_to_bostoncom_users/

Please leave a comment here about any features that are missing that I didn't mention in the note linked above, or if you're having any technical issues.

Thanks.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: Changes to forums and comments

Of those you didn't mention, edit post is the first that jumps to mind. Forum search is the second.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

sorry, i overlooked your point on search - i would've just changed my initial post, but i can no longer edit it, hence my first critique.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Posts that were started on the 29th and some before that are on my profile under comments but when you click on the links it doesn't take me to the thread. Hopefully those discussions will be restored ?

* BDC had a feature for awhile last year were you could bookmark a past discussion to your profile to visit later. Some are still on my profile, it would be nice to see that feature back.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Thanks for the repsonse BDCDottie! Hopefully it gets worked out soon, I love coming in here.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

1.  Pagination at the bottom of the screen is missing.

2.  I'd like to take this opportunity, while I have the BDC eyes, to point out the poster right above me.  The one with the Jack Nicholson avatar.  Dottie, please review the contributions of that member.  The intent of the account is nothing more than to annoy and aggravate the Bruins fans that come here to talk about hockey.  You want to make a major improvement on this site?  Dump characters like that, Tuukafail, and a few other dopes that do not come here to talk about Boston Bruins hockey, but instead attempt to ruin the experience for the rest of us.  I'm not suggesting that people with adverse opinions get booted, but simply those who have no real intention of being in a conversation about anything.  We cannot expect everyone to like everything they read here, but when someone has 600+ posts about the same exact subject (Bruins Cup victory a conspiracy), it's okay to delete that account.

3.  The cookies aren't working so log in credentials are being erased each time.

4.  Please have the B's trade Shawn Thornton.  They can get another goon for half price and give that money to Lucic, Seguin, Marchand and Bergeron.

5.  Please put special attention on #2. 

6.  When a user is placed on ignore, not having to see a post line with "Posts from this user are ignored" would be great, along with the opportunity to have all quotations of said fool also hidden.  There isn't much of a point to having a troll on ignore when B-Hab keeps quoting and responding to them.

7.  Please put special attention on #2.

8.  Polls!  I need my polls!

9.  Can you please ask Kelvana to stop using Habs players in his avatar?  It hurts me.  Deeply.

10.  Please put special attention on #2.

11.  Anyway to limit the length of titles?  Look at the six line title out there right now.  Stupid.

12.  Please put special attention on #2.

Honestly, thanks for listening.  #4 and #9 aren't real requests, but if you have a magic wand and are bored, they sure would be apprecaited!  And please put special attention on #2.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

re #2
    Only when I'm drinking.

I opened a thread here requesting tougher guidelines on troll here:
    http://www.boston.com/community/forums/misc-musings/talk-to-bdc/150/640

T
    here was never a response to that thread.

Further, there is only ONE user who is clearly abusive and clearly his only intent is to be abusive.  The rest of them are not abusive and have provided some socially redeemable value albeit rarely.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

I'd say there are more than one BadHab.

Communist_Contrarian just tries to start stuff and annoy people.

Cactus_Tony just tries to insult and incite.

Null is just a conspiracy theorist who won't go away nearly a year and a half later.

Bellhorn (I think that's who it was) continuously posts pictures of the Caps beating the B's just to cause drama.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Thank you BDC, your coorespondence is much appreciated.

The suggestions above are spot on.  When you guys get around to it, it would be nice to fix some broken links too.  I like to click on my profile name, 'Fletcher1' for me, and then I get a list of all of my recent comments so I can revisit the threads I've been active in.  Now, when I click on my name I go to the main forums page instead.

A small matter, but since you asked...

Thanks.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Signature lines.

But most importantly, please do not increase the presence of the odious, fatuous, and utterly painful Bleacher Report.  Keep these forums separate and go back to burying the BR garbage in the links if you must have it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Changes to forums and comments:

2.  I'd like to take this opportunity, while I have the BDC eyes, to point out the poster right above me.  The one with the Jack Nicholson avatar.  Dottie, please review the contributions of that member.  The intent of the account is nothing more than to annoy and aggravate the Bruins fans that come here to talk about hockey.  You want to make a major improvement on this site?  Dump characters like that, Tuukafail, and a few other dopes that do not come here to talk about Boston Bruins hockey, but instead attempt to ruin the experience for the rest of us.  I'm not suggesting that people with adverse opinions get booted, but simply those who have no real intention of being in a conversation about anything.  We cannot expect everyone to like everything they read here, but when someone has 600+ posts about the same exact subject (Bruins Cup victory a conspiracy), it's okay to delete that account.

3.  The cookies aren't working so log in credentials are being erased each time.

4.  Please have the B's trade Shawn Thornton.  They can get another goon for half price and give that money to Lucic, Seguin, Marchand and Bergeron.

6.  When a user is placed on ignore, not having to see a post line with "Posts from this user are ignored" would be great, along with the opportunity to have all quotations of said fool also hidden.  There isn't much of a point to having a troll on ignore when B-Hab keeps quoting and responding to them.

9.  Can you please ask Kelvana to stop using Habs players in his avatar?  It hurts me.  Deeply.

11.  Anyway to limit the length of titles?  Look at the six line title out there right now.  Stupid.

Honestly, thanks for listening.  #4 and #9 aren't real requests, but if you have a magic wand and are bored, they sure would be apprecaited!  And please put special attention on #2.

Well said.

Also, when I press reply, it doesnt box in the context that I am replying to. It's all kind of one big mess. I hope I worded that right.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Well said.

Also, when I press reply, it doesnt box in the context that I am replying to. It's all kind of one big mess. I hope I worded that right.

Never mind, I see that it has been fixed.

But please, Not-A-Shots second request would be a real crowd pleaser.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Actually, I think the #1 thing is to listen to us.

Whatever 'profit' there is from this site would certainly be increased with happier users who will attract more users which will result in more hits on the website.

And in order to get happier users, simply listen to us.

More than features, it is the users who are attempting to damage the experience as much as they can who hurt the site and damage the experience more than anything.

so please hear us - please acknowledge you've heard us.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

As I've noted before, I sometimes get confused, with the most confusing being why I can access for a few weeks, and then find I need to renew my access. If there is some way to eliminate the automatic eliminations, please do it for me. thanks for listening "dottie"

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Are we ever going to get back the edit function ?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCDottie. Show BDCDottie's posts

We're listening, Bad ... believe me. We are going to be very aggressive with trolls.

We're restoring the pagination links at the bottom, Ignore, Edit, images, colored fonts, etc. I like the idea of you not being able to see the re-quotes of people you've ignored. I'll ask if we can do that.

I'll check on the cookies. Seems like they're not persistent cookies.

I'll also ask about limiting the length of titles.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Thank You BDCDottie!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

If you can dispose of the useless trolls, who are here to do nothing more than post 600 times about something that didn't happen, I swear I will deal with all other changes as they come.

You can start with the Jack Nicholson character above, who is openly mocking your ability and powers here.  Ummm...that'd be great.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

"We're restoring the pagination links at the bottom, Ignore, Edit, images, colored fonts, etc"

This is what should be on the top of the priority list, and spell check (busted).

"trolls" live under bridges, and don't exist unless you validate their existence.

I could care less what they post, and ignore can be achieved without a button - by ignoring. Let them post away, because with every stroke of the keyboard, they confirm their own sickness, and the empty pathetic lives they lead. Keep them around - so they can continue to humiliate themselves.

A button that prevented anyone from mentioning their name or responding to their posts, although not realistic, would be much more effective.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Right on cue, NAShole and his sycophantic Glee Club.  Time to celebrate Dots news, so lets all Spank your Monkeys at tomorrows 2pm matinee (you can bring a toy Redy).

The Refs won the Cup with help from the B's, all for NBC marketing and you all know it *now*

Keep livin the Big Lie, sports.
    Honey I'm Home
    JT

BDCDOttie,

Personal attack on a female poster, sexual reference etc..

Is this going to be tolerated?

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts