Changes to the Draft Lottery

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Changes to the Draft Lottery

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=728795&navid=DL|NHL|home" rel="nofollow">http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=728795&navid=DL|NHL|home

The latest NBAification of the league.  Top 3 to be up for grabs, and the odds shift toward the middle a bit (worst team to have 1/5 instead of 1/4 chance of getting the top pick, odds for the 8th and 9th worst teams to get 1st overall pick nearly double - though still only between 5%-6.5%).

Are you not entertained?!?!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: Changes to the Draft Lottery

Maybe this helps to prevent teams from tanking, but more likely just an attempt to make something exciting in the offseason and create more draft buzz.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

Maybe this helps to prevent teams from tanking, but more likely just an attempt to make something exciting in the offseason and create more draft buzz.

That would be my guess. I can't wait for the uproar when one team gets lucky.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Read the new rules carefully Kevin Lowe and MacT!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I like it.  It adds a little more excitement to the thing.  Also, how cool would it be for the fans of a team that juuuuuuust missed the playoffs that suddenly gets the first pick overall?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

I like it.  It adds a little more excitement to the thing.  Also, how cool would it be for the fans of a team that juuuuuuust missed the playoffs that suddenly gets the first pick overall?

Like TO? Would never hear the end of it!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I think it's better.  Simply finishing in last place for a few years makes it too easy of a strategy to build a contender.  The lower odds of a 1st pick for team at the very bottom means you have to focus on other means.  It's also less incentive to tank if you are close to the playoffs.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

It seems like the trade deadline deals have been so sparse in recent years, and I wonder if the expanding lottery contributes to that. 

Certainly the 'loser point' does too, since about 24 of the 30 teams still consider themselves to be in contention for a playoff spot at the trade deadline, and there are subsequently 24 'buyers' and 6 'sellers' in March.

I also wonder if spreading the lottery thinner for the worst teams will lessen, not eliminate, the desire to unload contracts at the trade deadline.  

Of course, having less fire sales and tanking in April is probably good for the league too.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Maybe, but what if you're in contention for that last playoff spot. Why push for it when you can not push for it, finish in 9th in the conference and possibly get the 1, 2, or 3 pick?

Yeah, yeah, the Kings. Whatever. I think more teams will be letting up late in the season. If they aren't, they're dumb. Gamble, baby, gamble!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

I think so. Trying to make the draft lottery more of a television event. I have no problem with that.

Sections
Shortcuts