Chara: Green Light given for Police Investigation

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from olsonstephanie. Show olsonstephanie's posts

Chara: Green Light given for Police Investigation

This morning, Crown Prosecutors office in Quebec City has given the green light for Montreal Police to investigate the Zdeno Chara hit.  The Police's Major Crimes Unit will be in charge of the file.  If there are criminal charges, they could be laid in the coming weeks. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Re: Chara: Green Light given for Police Investigation

Link?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

if this is the case...how is it that matt cooke is still a free man? oh wait it's because US hockey fans are not bitc***.  montreal fans are the ultimate drama queens- they need to find another hobby, stop crying so much.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

adk,

Don't group all of us in with some.  There are bad fans everywhere.  And please don't sell us that US fans are the best in the world.  Ever watch a World Junior game and you will understand our love of the game.  I do agree that there are some Hab fans that are overblown.  But to group a country into that isnt right.  You do realize how many Canadians are on this board and cheer for the Bruins. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

And yes I realize you said Montreal fans.  But when you bring the countries into it appears as though you ar egrouping us. 

And the police don't act on what Hab fans want.  It doesnt work that way.  Even if a criminal investigation is done its not likely gonna go anywhere.  That thing called intent has to be proven.  Reasonable doubt means its going no where. 

I agree though. This thing is getting outta hand

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Here is the link if any of you need one:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2011/03/10/pacioretty-hit-police-investigation.html

Smells like politics to me....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

Nice to see regional and provincial tax dollars hard at work.  While you are at it, isn't it time to re-open the case against Mario Tremblay for misusing Patty Roy (that goalie Neely would school)?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

shupe... i did not use  the correct wording then, i never said canadiAn fans, i said montreal fans- refering to the habs fans. i do realize that US hockey fans are not that bright also, but, do you remember any US agency or team calling for something this assanine to happen? over a play that was not even deemed illegal?   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

In Response to Re: Chara: Green Light given for Police Investigation:
    [QUOTE]And yes I realize you said Montreal fans.  But when you bring the countries into it appears as though you ar egrouping us.  And the police don't act on what Hab fans want.  It doesnt work that way.  Even if a criminal investigation is done its not likely gonna go anywhere.  That thing called intent has to be proven.  Reasonable doubt means its going no where.  I agree though. This thing is getting outta hand
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

shupe, i think you have to bring up the countries. there's no way this would happen in the states. federal politicians are getting involved and the biggest airline in the country wants to pull its sponsorship.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

If McSorely never faced prosecution for his stick-on-the-head shot at Bashear a few years back (and an investigation was launched in that case), then there is 0% chance that Chara will get in any manner of criminal trouble.

The cops in Quebec saying they'll investiaget is to keep the outraged from taking things out on the next person they see who looks like they might be from Boston or asks in a restaurant if they serve any "chow-dah."

The league probably did the right thing in not suspending Chara--when you see the video it's clear he had no intention of running Pac's head into the turnbuckle, but the league has botched plenty of these hits before--none worse than the Cooke-on-Savard hit, which was a clear flying elbow w/intent to injure.

That doesn;t make the Pacioretty situation any less sad or sickening, and it's understandable that Habs fans are upset. It;'s a natural and human reaction to seeing one of "your own" get seriously hurt, especially against the team's most bitter rival. But given Chara's clean history and non-goonish play in general, this was likely the right call.

Time to get rid of those turnbuckles, I'd say for starters.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

adk/good- I agree that the backdoor politics in this are a bit staggering.  But nothing more than rumors are present at the moment.  I work in this legal system and from a honest perspective it is a joke.  But it is what it is. 
    But this really has nothing to do with hockey fans.  This has to do with media.  Any rationale hockey fan can see this was an unfortunate hockey play. 

The police involvement would likely be enough to keep Joe Citizen happy.  But in the end there is no way they can prove criminal intent.  Zero chance.  So which in turn will mean the police didnt do their job and will wear it. 

It was an ugly incident.  Hopefully Max gets healthy soon and can resume his career. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Chara: Green Light given for Police Investigation : shupe, i think you have to bring up the countries. there's no way this would happen in the states. federal politicians are getting involved and the biggest airline in the country wants to pull its sponsorship.
    Posted by goodnewsbears[/QUOTE]

As a transplanted American living in Canada your statement is a little disingenious. Do you not remember the Congressional investigation into alleged steriod abuse in baseball or the fact we elect our judges and federal prosecutors?

It happens everywhere. Just saying......

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

try,

Good post.  I thought last night what they could do in regards to the turnbuckle.  I am not sure what they could do.  You can't round them off.  More padding may help but that force was pretty extreme. 
    Whoever thinks of a new method would be an instant millionare. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigPapaBear72. Show BigPapaBear72's posts

This is beyond stupid. I live in New-Brunswick (Habs country) and have been arguing with these morons for the past 2 days now. You'd see the things they post on Facebook, it's incredible. Otherwise nice, reasonable people but it's like when it comes to hockey and the perception of "dirty plays" against their players it's like a switch flips or something. They get in a rage, pull threats, some people on facebook have even told me as responses to my arguments that there was no malicious intent that they would break my neck and see how I feel about it... I have never despised MTL fans as much as I do today (I didn't think I could despise them more prior to this). 

Some of these morons even called 911, yes 911 about this:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/Montrealers+call+report+Pacioretty/4415402/story.html

I mean come one, how retarded can you be. You're tying up the line to complain about a hockey hit, while the player has already been tended to by professionals, potentially preventing / delaying someone in a car accident or other emergency from getting through and getting the assistance they need.

I've had it with habs fans, I've been putting up with them for 30 years and they can all go you know where now as far as I'm concerned. Sorry if this offends the 10 % of MTL fans that actually can process rational thoughts.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bailey77. Show bailey77's posts

if this even goes to court,  how do they think they will get a guilty verdict when they will have the best lawyers representing Chara - a Jr player walked free for a blaten elbow to the head and he wouldn't have the bankroll chara has

/>
    Atlanta Thrashers prospect Patrice Cormier was given an absolute discharge after pleading guilty to an assault charge last October.

Cormier was playing for the Rouyn-Noranda Huskies of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League on Jan. 17, 2010, when he elbowed Mikael Tam of the Quebec Remparts in the head

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2011/03/10/pacioretty-hit-police-investigation.html#ixzz1GD2w3Z5A
    />

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

shupe, i agree the police are going to investigate because they got a complaint and they have to. of course nothing will come out of this. it was a hockey play unlike mcsorley or bertuzzi. what pisses me off are the comments by ignatieff and air canada and others.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bailey77. Show bailey77's posts

they said that bergeron put him self into that position when jones rammed him into the boards from behind.  I agree pacioretty put himself into that position as well, the turnbuckle was there in his case as were the boards in bergeron's case - these are two elements that can't be overlooked if your a player

I think Chara should have gotten a suspension just for the sake of appeasing all the fans cying for legal action and Chara's head, as well as any bruins players head and or fans

sheesh

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Chara: Green Light given for Police Investigation : As a transplanted American living in Canada your statement is a little disingenious. Do you not remember the Congressional investigation into alleged steriod abuse in baseball or the fact we elect our judges and federal prosecutors? It happens everywhere. Just saying......
    Posted by jmwalters[/QUOTE]

yeah, i guess you're right. i wasn't thinking about that. i guess politicians in both countries have too much time on their hands. you'd think running a country would be time consuming enough that you wouldn't have time to get involved in sports.

p.s. what happened to your old avatar? i miss it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Chara: Green Light given for Police Investigation : yeah, i guess you're right. i wasn't thinking about that. i guess politicians in both countries have too much time on their hands. you'd think running a country would be time consuming enough that you wouldn't have time to get involved in sports. p.s. what happened to your old avatar? i miss it.
    Posted by goodnewsbears[/QUOTE]

No problem. As one who used to be a political advisor and now lecture's on politics it is perhaps too easy for me to see the political angles of every action and every statement made by anyone in power. Believe me, nothing is left to chance. That is just the way it is....

As for my avater, it will be changed soon so no worries....lol!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

good,

those companies want air time and to be looked upon as saviors.  Air Canada has its own problems.  Let the game handle itself.  They looked at the hit and had a sit down meeting with Chara.  If the league couldn't find intent how the heck are the police gonna find anything.  The police will watch the same evidence as we have and say the same things you and I are.  I mean we are talking assault causing bodily harm as a possible charge.  there simply isn't enough to support a charge. 

this is a joke.  but I think everything hockey related like this is a joke.  no one can hit anyone anymore without every angle being watched.  the speed of the game is created by the rules and through the size/strength of the players. 

Every night on TSN it seems as though they have at least one semi-dirty play and they always start with it.  How about showing more good hockey plays and less of this BS.  Its hockey, injuries happen. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

shupe.. just as in the US, shock and drama sell on tv.  US newscasts always start with murders and rapes- need to get your attention. then the positive news is a footnote at the end. so so sad...people are idiots

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]good, those companies want air time and to be looked upon as saviors.  Air Canada has its own problems.  Let the game handle itself.  They looked at the hit and had a sit down meeting with Chara.  If the league couldn't find intent how the heck are the police gonna find anything.  The police will watch the same evidence as we have and say the same things you and I are.  I mean we are talking assault causing bodily harm as a possible charge.  there simply isn't enough to support a charge.  this is a joke.  but I think everything hockey related like this is a joke.  no one can hit anyone anymore without every angle being watched.  the speed of the game is created by the rules and through the size/strength of the players.  Every night on TSN it seems as though they have at least one semi-dirty play and they always start with it.  How about showing more good hockey plays and less of this BS.  Its hockey, injuries happen. 

Shupe, this probably has less to do with how the players play then in the fact that every game is broadcast for all to see. Since everything is now on 24 hour display it is easier to find border-line hits and dirty plays.

For example, these "shoulder to head" hits happen with some frequency and could be ignored but now everything is there for all to see and it seems like an epidemic. I am not saying these hits are ok but we are perhaps noticing for the first time how much they actually do happen.....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

jmw,

I do agree but my flip side of this is the rules.  When did these hits start jumping to such frequent events?  When they removed two line passing, goalie couldnt play the puck and no holding up for dmen.  That combined with how athletes train is a major factor.   the concussions this year are off the chart.  I mean every team in the league has had guys out.  Medical Science is also catching up with contact sports. 

all these things make the game very boring for me.  I love watching hockey and I hate dabating this kinda stuff. 

I don't think this problem gets better until they make the rules so harsh that no one gets hit.  And when that happens it won't be hockey.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

kind of ironic. we have more concussions now that they don't allow interference to slow down the players and this latest concussion is a result of interference.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]try, Good post.  I thought last night what they could do in regards to the turnbuckle.  I am not sure what they could do.  You can't round them off.  More padding may help but that force was pretty extreme.  Whoever thinks of a new method would be an instant millionare. 

I guess I wonder why the 'buckles don't have more "give" to them--as the plexiglass is designed to give a little when players smack into it.  That may or may not have helped Max avoid injury in this case, altho' it's clear that the padding did very little to save his neck from serious injury the way he hit it.

My biggest complaint about the "penalties" handed out to players is that they are never commensurate with the damage done to the victim. I'm not talking about Chara here, b/c I agree w/the league that there was no intent to injure, but the rule I would instate is simple:

If a hit resulting in serious injury to a player IS determined by league review to have been intentional, the player being penalized should be out exactly as long as they player victimized. That would mean Matt Cooke would not be playing in the NHL right now, and would stay out as long as or if marc Savard ever comes back.

If the victimized player does not miss any time with injury, then the league--again, if determined the hit was intent to injure--should impose a suspension of as many games as they feel warrants the visciousness of the hit.

My point is that HAD Chara's hit been intent to injure, a ten-game suspension means nothing and hardly compensates for the loss of the other team's player, who will surely be out for the playoffs and maybe even much of next year.

. And I guarantee that at the very least we would see fewer goons in the league and certainly more caution for any of the more "angry" players who lash out at a perceived slight (i.e. Todd Bertuzzi) if they knew their suspension could last a year or more, or possibly mean the end of their NHL career if the player they hurt cannot return. 

Sections
Shortcuts