Chara Is The Toughest To Play Against

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

Re: Chara Is The Toughest To Play Against

Piffle, what do NHL players know about the game they play!!

In Response to Chara Is The Toughest To Play Against:
    [QUOTE]Well,the players have spoken.The poll of 318 current NHL players has revealed that players feel Chara is the most difficult D-man to go up against(followed by Lidstrom and Pronger).TT was considered 3rd hardest goalie to score on(behind Luongo and Miller).Do you suppose this might shut up some of the "experts"that constantly trash Chara and his game or will some posters still feel as if they know better than the players themselves?My bet is the latter but what do you guys think?
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

don't worry we'll still see the 'Lurch' threads pop up.
    Every year when this poll is done the players always pick Chara was the toughest to play against.
    Staal when drafting him to his team said it well " I'm fedup trying to stick handle through this guy therefore he's my next pick ... "

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

B&G nails it.

But hey, I'm sure those who consider him the human pylon know more about this than the players do.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

Just ask Kessel what he thinks of trying to get past Chara. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Not only is Chara tough to play against, but he and Lucic are among the BEST fighters. Then when you add McQuaid it reinforces the thought that Thornton is no longer necessary, and should be replaced by Paille with Campbell and Wheeler providing a faster, more skilled 4th line

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

Pialle is faster than Thornton, but taken as a total package... I don't see how one can call him more skilled, you have to include fighting in the mix and I'm pretty certain Marchand, Krejci and Savard could all pummel Paille.

In Response to Re: Chara Is The Toughest To Play Against:
    [QUOTE]Not only is Chara tough to play against, but he and Lucic are among the BEST fighters. Then when you add McQuaid it reinforces the thought that Thornton is no longer necessary, and should be replaced by Paille with Campbell and Wheeler providing a faster, more skilled 4th line
    Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Bravo.  Great thread that I hope everyone here reads.

Are the dimwits on this board who call Chara "big lurch" and "useless" ready to expose themselves and recant some posts??

With all of the talk about facts and logic here, you can't do any better than this.

Unless, you know, all of those NHL players are just wrong about their preferences and all...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Funny thing is, the player voting wasn't even close.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

This is a thread to be bookmarked and posted every time one of those fools come on to complain about ANYTHING Chara does.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

When you cheer for a team other then the Bruins, you appreciate players like Chara more because how hard it is to play against.

If the Bruins did NOT have Chara, they would, IMHO, be an average team and those defensive numbers that the Bruins put up every year has a lot do with Chara.

He makes up for a lot.  He pretty much plays close to 1/2 the game against the other team's best players.  He's on the powerplay and looks to have recovered from his pinky problems last year.  He covers so much ice with that extended wing span and he wins just about every battle on the boards.

He doesn't fight because, frankly the Bruins cannot afford for him to be sitting in in the penalty box.  I suppose when the game is over, 1 way or the other, he could find his spots but that may an edict from the coach not to fight and risk any injury.

Clearly, losing Chara for any period of time would be devastating for the Bruins.

The Senators went downhill when they decided to keep Redden over Chara and the Leafs, God Bless them, make a monumental franchise error not doing whatever it took to sign Chara when he was an UFA.  For a team where money is no object, I'll never understand that one.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

i think most of the posts trashing chara are from trolls. you always have to look at op before you can take a post seriously.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

p.s. same applies for tt trashers.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

OK, Ive crapped on Chara before, Ill admit it.  He was never great in Ottawa and it took him a bit to get going here which is why I lambasted the signing for so much money (he was worth it, but NOT at the time), and last year he slumped and did take a beating on this board, but he has been VERY good this year.  Another Norris year, whether he wins it or not.  I think if you REALLY look at a defenseman as a total package, what is expected of them, what they bring every night, etc., there hasnt been a better TRUE shut-down d-man all year.

With that said, who ever said Chara was one of the fighters....COME ON!?!?!  On what team, cause it AINT the Bruins.  Thornton, McQuaid, Stuart, Ference, Lucic, Campbell & maybe even Horton and Marchand are better fighters than Chara.  Sure, against a guy who fights 5 times a year maybe, but against real tough guys Chara SVCKS at fighting.  Its EASILY the weekest part of his game.  Im not complaining, just saying.  Chara is a horrible fighter.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

B's always had great D's

Bobby Orr
    Ray Bourque  and now
    ZZZZZdeno

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

you forgot eddie shore. we have 3 of the top 4 dmen in thn's top 100 players of all time.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]OK, Ive crapped on Chara before, Ill admit it.  He was never great in Ottawa and it took him a bit to get going here which is why I lambasted the signing for so much money (he was worth it, but NOT at the time), and last year he slumped and did take a beating on this board, but he has been VERY good this year.  Another Norris year, whether he wins it or not.  I think if you REALLY look at a defenseman as a total package, what is expected of them, what they bring every night, etc., there hasnt been a better TRUE shut-down d-man all year. With that said, who ever said Chara was one of the fighters....COME ON!?!?!  On what team, cause it AINT the Bruins.  Thornton, McQuaid, Stuart, Ference, Lucic, Campbell & maybe even Horton and Marchand are better fighters than Chara.  Sure, against a guy who fights 5 times a year maybe, but against real tough guys Chara SVCKS at fighting.  Its EASILY the weekest part of his game.  Im not complaining, just saying.  Chara is a horrible fighter.
    Posted by bigvig[/QUOTE]

Still can't believe you listed Marchand as a) a fighter and b) a "better fighter than Chara"

Totally insane.

Check with David Koci sometime on whether Chara can fight or not -- his reconstructed nose should give you a hint.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Already knew Chara was tough to play against.  As LRH said, the Bs would average without his skills.  Great post!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

Been saying it for years.. 29 other teams would love to have this guy.. and now will retire a Bruin.. Also , heard on local radio station from a reporter covering the NHL ASG  that Chara, believe it or not, is one of the most liked players in the NHL because he plays the game the right way.. That is the best compliment any player can get from his peers..

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Absolutely no question Chara is a franchise player....and he has been since he first donned a B's sweater.  Unfortunately, you can bet the next time he makes a mistake, the sh*theads will be back on here.
    Questioning this guys importance, to this team(or any other for that matter) is one of the most profoundly inane debates one could ever enter in to.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Eric Staal doesn't think so he works Chara every time he is on the ice.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThirdJersey. Show ThirdJersey's posts

I hate to break-up the love feast, but I have a love/hate with Chara. His poke-checking is great (length of stick), however IF he gets beat a-la Martin St Louis, it's over. I actually like it when it attacks the net and wrists a shot. Most of the time playing the point his shot is usually wide or right at an opposing player.

I'm glad he got his hat trick, I'd just be happier with more shots on net and not wide.

I'm glad he's on the team, its just love/hate for me...  my 2 cents.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

You do know he leads the team in shots on goal right? He's also 19th overall in shots on goal, and second among defensemen?

[QUOTE]I hate to break-up the love feast, but I have a love/hate with Chara. His poke-checking is great (length of stick), however IF he gets beat a-la Martin St Louis, it's over. I actually like it when it attacks the net and wrists a shot. Most of the time playing the point his shot is usually wide or right at an opposing player. I'm glad he got his hat trick, I'd just be happier with more shots on net and not wide. I'm glad he's on the team, its just love/hate for me...  my 2 cents.
    Posted by ThirdJersey[/QUOTE]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]I hate to break-up the love feast, but I have a love/hate with Chara. His poke-checking is great (length of stick), however IF he gets beat a-la Martin St Louis, it's over. I actually like it when it attacks the net and wrists a shot. Most of the time playing the point his shot is usually wide or right at an opposing player. I'm glad he got his hat trick, I'd just be happier with more shots on net and not wide. I'm glad he's on the team, its just love/hate for me...  my 2 cents.
    Posted by ThirdJersey[/QUOTE]

Rather than a love fest, what you see here is people acknowledging what should be obvious -- the fact that the NHL players (who know a lot more about Chara than you) think he is the toughest guy to play against. 

There's really nothing left to debate.  If you think he's not that good...you're wrong.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

First: 4/18/2009
    Last: 1/31/2011
    Eric Staal doesn't think so he works Chara every time he is on the ice

Not what I heard him saying before he picked him on his side for the AllStar Game.. Dog, sorry you didn't catch the last couple of games against Carolina..Staal was outstanding.. -3 , got one point though on the PP, ... Chara was a +3 .. He outscored him too..Who worked who again!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I am kinda in the same situation as Third.  I love having him and all the little things he does that go unnoticed.  My beef has always been that he needs to be more physical and more of a standup leader(at certain times) and I have listed them.  I also hate his contract. 
    When he leads this team far into the playoffs I will eat every word I have ever wrote negative.  Until then the jury is out for me. 
    BUT- I can see why the players would say this.  Probably has to do a lot with respecting him as well.  Although I like Pronger more, he was voted the most hated.  Which I think is a compliment to the way he plays and likely cost him votes.  I would much rather have Pronger if it were for all the marbles.

Sections
Shortcuts