Chara, Keith, Weber voted Norris finalists.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Chara, Keith, Weber voted Norris finalists.

Following are the finalists for the Norris Trophy, in alphabetical order:

Zdeno Chara, Boston Bruins

Chara led a Boston defense that paced the Eastern Conference and ranked second in the NHL in goals against (177), helping the Bruins capture their second Presidents’ Trophy in franchise history and first since 1989-90. He averaged a team-high 24:39 of ice time per game, nearly 3 minutes more than the next-closest player, and also placed in the top 10 among NHL defensemen in goals (17), plus/minus (+25), power-play goals (10) and game-winning goals (3). Chara is a Norris Trophy finalist for the sixth time, including the third time in the past four seasons, and won the award in 2008-09.

Duncan Keith, Chicago Blackhawks

Keith led all defensemen with 55 assists and ranked second among blueliners with 61 points to power a Chicago offense that paced the NHL with 267 goals. He recorded his 40th helper of the season in his 46th game, becoming the fastest defenseman in franchise history to reach the milestone, and posted a career-long, eight-game assist/point streak from Nov. 19 to Dec. 3. Keith played a team-high average of 24:38 per game, topping the Blackhawks in ice time for the ninth time in as many NHL seasons. He is a Norris Trophy finalist for the second time after capturing the award in 2009-10.

Shea Weber, Nashville Predators

Weber ranked first among defensemen with 23 goals and set a franchise record for points by a blueliner with 56, leading the Predators in scoring for the second consecutive season. He also paced all defensemen in power-play goals (12), ranked fourth in the League in average time on ice (26:54) and set a career high in shooting percentage (11.8%). Weber got better as the season progressed, posting 14-20—34, three game-winning goals and a +11 rating in the final 42 games of 2013-14. He is a Norris Trophy finalist for the third time after finishing as runner-up for the award in both 2010-11 and 2011-12."

I think this award will be a tight vote.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

Re: Chara, Keith, Weber voted Norris finalists.

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Following are the finalists for the Norris Trophy, in alphabetical order:

Zdeno Chara, Boston Bruins

Chara led a Boston defense that paced the Eastern Conference and ranked second in the NHL in goals against (177), helping the Bruins capture their second Presidents’ Trophy in franchise history and first since 1989-90. He averaged a team-high 24:39 of ice time per game, nearly 3 minutes more than the next-closest player, and also placed in the top 10 among NHL defensemen in goals (17), plus/minus (+25), power-play goals (10) and game-winning goals (3). Chara is a Norris Trophy finalist for the sixth time, including the third time in the past four seasons, and won the award in 2008-09.

Duncan Keith, Chicago Blackhawks

Keith led all defensemen with 55 assists and ranked second among blueliners with 61 points to power a Chicago offense that paced the NHL with 267 goals. He recorded his 40th helper of the season in his 46th game, becoming the fastest defenseman in franchise history to reach the milestone, and posted a career-long, eight-game assist/point streak from Nov. 19 to Dec. 3. Keith played a team-high average of 24:38 per game, topping the Blackhawks in ice time for the ninth time in as many NHL seasons. He is a Norris Trophy finalist for the second time after capturing the award in 2009-10.

Shea Weber, Nashville Predators

Weber ranked first among defensemen with 23 goals and set a franchise record for points by a blueliner with 56, leading the Predators in scoring for the second consecutive season. He also paced all defensemen in power-play goals (12), ranked fourth in the League in average time on ice (26:54) and set a career high in shooting percentage (11.8%). Weber got better as the season progressed, posting 14-20—34, three game-winning goals and a +11 rating in the final 42 games of 2013-14. He is a Norris Trophy finalist for the third time after finishing as runner-up for the award in both 2010-11 and 2011-12."

I think this award will be a tight vote.

[/QUOTE]

I'm so happy it will go to a real d man this year

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

I agree. It's good to see guys who are outstanding in their own end of the ice as well as being able to put up some offense as well. No Karlsson or Subban. Nice. Weber got screwed 2 years ago when Karlsson won, which is a shame because the guy deserves to win at least one in his career.

Would love to see Chara win it but I think Keith wins it in a very close race.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

[/QUOTE] I'm so happy it will go to a real d man this year.

Amen to that! To Hades with PK and Karlsson. 

I'd like to see Z win and thinks he deserves it, but won't be surprised or too bummed if Keith wins. Weber is hamstrung by the fact his team stunk.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

I'm a little surprised, Suter is not in the top 3.

I had Keith, Suter, and a toss-up of Weber & Chara, for the 3rd spot.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

The thing about Chara is,as Doug MacLean said,Zdeno should be a no brainer nomination every year he's that good and his defensive domination is taken for granted.Subban and Karlsson winning the Norris is by the very definition of the award a joke.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

In response to seobrien's comment:

I'm so happy it will go to a real d man this year.

I'd like to see Z win and thinks he deserves it, but won't be surprised or too bummed if Keith wins. Weber is hamstrung by the fact his team stunk.

[/QUOTE]

Chara is hamstrung by the fact that every single French-Canadian (Red Fisher and the gang) member of the PHWA wouldn't vote for him even if you promised them free poutine for life. He's probably not too popular with the 85 voters at the Globe & Mail either. I suspect this is how Princess K Subban won....he skates for a Canadian team and the Canadiens specifically so he got all those prov. of Quebec votes.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

All good choices.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

Yeah, finally all good choices unlike the PK aberration last year. No doubt Subban's got raw talent, possibly more than any other defenceman in the league, but he still hasn't played and dominated in a way that makes him an obvious Norris trophy winner.   

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

They should start giving out the Norris award for best defenseman and the Tomas Kaberle Award for best Puck-Moving-Defenseman.

My vote is 1/2) Weber 2/1) Chara 3) Keith
    Lets GO BRUINS!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

That's a tough one - all great cndidates, and all deserving. One of those rare nomination lists where I'd be fine if any of the 3 won it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

There are some other very good D-Men out there (Suter, Pietrangelo, Doughty, et.al) but they got this one right...unless of course you go to the TSN boards where the peanut gallery is in full voice. Lets just say you can pick out the Habs fans easily.

----proud member of the ZTT taskforce-----

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

In response to WalkTheLine's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Chara is hamstrung by the fact that every single French-Canadian (Red Fisher and the gang) member of the PHWA wouldn't vote for him even if you promised them free poutine for life. He's probably not too popular with the 85 voters at the Globe & Mail either. I suspect this is how Princess K Subban won....he skates for a Canadian team and the Canadiens specifically so he got all those prov. of Quebec votes

[object HTMLDivElement]

i didn't know Red Fisher was a French Canadian....

and i highly respect his opinion....  anyone who says that Bobby Orr was the greatest player he ever saw is ok in my books....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

In response to days-of-Orr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

and i highly respect his opinion....  anyone who says that Bobby Orr was the greatest player he ever saw is ok in my books....

[/QUOTE]
    His birth certificate says Pecheur Rouge.  He changed it to be accepted amongst his Anglophone peers.

***Follow Fluto on twitter.  He's awesome.***

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I have to go with Chara, and I say that, I hope, without any bit of homerism.

Other than the Calder, I don't like giving a major award to someone whose team did not make the playoffs.

Keith is terrific, but he doesn't play against other teams top lines nearly as much as Chara or Weber. Hjalmarson and Oduya face the other teams top lines on a nightly basis more than Keith and Seabrook.

I hope that is taken into consideration.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Totally agree that the Karlsson and Subban choices were darling of the media choices.  The three selected were the best.  If i was voting, I would vote for Keith.  If I was voted with defense only it would be Chara.  Weber is awesome as a choice as well. Who cares only one trophy matters.   

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

All are solid candidates but believe Chara should win.  Plays every night against the other teams best line and is dominant.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Chara is hamstrung by the fact that every single French-Canadian (Red Fisher and the gang) member of the PHWA wouldn't vote for him even if you promised them free poutine for life. He's probably not too popular with the 85 voters at the Globe & Mail either. I suspect this is how Princess K Subban won....he skates for a Canadian team and the Canadiens specifically so he got all those prov. of Quebec votes.

[/QUOTE]

Conspiracy theories ........... gotta love them.

With this type of thinking ..............please explain why before Subban and Karlsson that there wasn't a Canadian or Hab team with a Norris trophy winner since Chris Chelios in 1988-89 ?

Wouldn't the Globe and Mail/Quebec contingent have altered the votes enough to let a Hab win during these years also ?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to seobrien's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] I'm so happy it will go to a real d man this year.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ummm isn't this an award voted on by the general managers?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

[/QUOTE]

Ummm isn't this an award voted on by the general managers?

[/QUOTE]

Nope. The PHWA votes on these awards.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

With this type of thinking ..............please explain why before Subban and Karlsson that there wasn't a Canadian or Hab team with a Norris trophy winner since Chris Chelios in 1988-89 ?

Wouldn't the Globe and Mail/Quebec contingent have altered the votes enough to let a Hab win during these years also ?

[/QUOTE]

Because there weren't any worthy candidates...?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Unless of course you want to include Gaston Gingras.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

[/QUOTE]

The bias is more about the dislike of Chara in Quebec. I have no doubt that very few PHWA members in Quebec will vote for Chara. The Globe & Mail guys, I don't know.

Regarding the Subban thing...I would bet your worthless life that he wouldn't have won a Norris if he was not a member of the Scabs. The bias there is specific to Quebec. I don't think the other Canadian writers care whether the player is American, Canadian, Russian or Slovak. Go look at the vote count for the year Subban won. It would only take a hand-full of scab favoring writers from greater Montreal to put him over the top. Suter should have won.

So you misunderstood my point I think. Actually, I think I worded it in a way that would give you that impression. So, no I do not believe there is a Canadian bias against players on US based teams.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

In response to days-of-Orr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Chara is hamstrung by the fact that every single French-Canadian (Red Fisher and the gang) member of the PHWA wouldn't vote for him even if you promised them free poutine for life. He's probably not too popular with the 85 voters at the Globe & Mail either. I suspect this is how Princess K Subban won....he skates for a Canadian team and the Canadiens specifically so he got all those prov. of Quebec votes

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

Actually, I like him too. I can't really blame him for scab bias anyway, I think he's retired. He's 110 years old or something.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

I have no doubt that very few PHWA members in Quebec will vote for Chara. The Globe & Mail guys, I don't know.

/QUOTE]

You have no doubt ? How so ? 

Do you live there ? Do you read there articles daily ? Do you know them personally ? 

Or is it because of your perception that most french columnists have no integrity regarding the voting and are all Chara haters ?

My worthless life tells me your "no doubt" comments are based on unsubstantiated allegations of these writers and conspiracy theories more then anything. 

Sections
Shortcuts