Chara

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

Chara

He is the best defensemen in the NHL. Anyone who thinks otherwise is flat out insane. I don't care that Karlsson can put up a point a game, I don't care that Subban has a ridiculous one timer. That style d man just doesn't have half the impact on a game that chara does. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Re: Chara

The thing about Chara is that he rises to the occasion.  This year, he shuts down Crosby.  Last year, although they lost to the Caps, he shut down Ovie.  Two years ago it was the Sedins.  Next up Toews and Kane.  Can't wait.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Chara is the most valuable player to any team in the league.  i like they are using Krug on the pp over chara.  Keeps him fresh for big saves late in a closing game.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Chara is the most valuable player to any team in the league.  i like they are using Krug on the pp over chara.  Keeps him fresh for big saves late in a closing game.  

Those dummies on CBC thought Chara was not on the 1st unit of the PP because Bruins were trying something different. Maybe you should work for CBC, because it was just for that reason to save Chara and give him a rest .

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Very well put.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:

[QUOTE]

Those dummies on CBC thought Chara was not on the 1st unit of the PP because Bruins were trying something different. Maybe you should work for CBC, because it was just for that reason to save Chara and give him a rest .

[/QUOTE]

you and i both have been saying this.  Its not a slight at chara.  But krug is better on the pp and it reduces the big mans ice time.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

He is the best defensemen in the NHL. Anyone who thinks otherwise is flat out insane. I don't care that Karlsson can put up a point a game, I don't care that Subban has a ridiculous one timer. That style d man just doesn't have half the impact on a game that chara does. 

I hate the comparison or debates about Chara and Karlsson or Chara and Subban..There is no right answer.They all play the same position and that is where anything they have in common ends. Chara is the best in the world at what he does. Karlsson is the best at what he does. I love that Chara is ont he Bruins, and I sure as heck love watching Erik Karsson play. I think Shupe said it best, outside of Crosby, Karlsson is the the most exciting player watch. I agree with that.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

[QUOTE]

I hate the comparison or debates about Chara and Karlsson or Chara and Subban..There is no right answer.They all play the same position and that is where anything they have in common ends. Chara is the best in the world at what he does. Karlsson is the best at what he does. I love that Chara is ont he Bruins, and I sure as heck love watching Erik Karsson play. I think Shupe said it best, outside of Crosby, Karlsson is the the most exciting player watch. I agree with that.

[/QUOTE]

that's fine, but that's my point. Karlsson may be exciting to watch and everything, but his value is nothing compared to Chara's. I hate what the Norris has become, I think this post season has shown (small sample size, but it's given us some evidence) that puck moving d men just aren't as important as a big strong, shut down guy.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

I posted this in another thread but I think it bears repeating here regarding what helps set Chara apart from others. 

"His size is obvious, and he's physical, but it's more his reach [that makes playing against him difficult].  Typically, you have some open ice in those areas [in the attacking zone], and now you're looking at a stick, a stick-on-puck or a stick that's within reach." - Sidney Crosby

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

But But hes TOO TALL it isnt fairSealed

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

I posted this in another thread but I think it bears repeating here regarding what helps set Chara apart from others. 

"His size is obvious, and he's physical, but it's more his reach [that makes playing against him difficult].  Typically, you have some open ice in those areas [in the attacking zone], and now you're looking at a stick, a stick-on-puck or a stick that's within reach." - Sidney Crosby

Sweet post and Crosby's speaks the truth.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to Klaas's comment:

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

Sweet post and Crosby's speaks the truth.

And this was said before Game 1, Klaas.  I'd imagine Crosby's view is shared by many an NHLer.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canadianfan6. Show Canadianfan6's posts

The NHL awards are based on the regular season when the hockey doesn't matter?

Whatever, who thought that one up.

Right now it would be Rask, Chara and Bergeron getting the awards.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to Canadianfan6's comment:

The NHL awards are based on the regular season when the hockey doesn't matter?

Whatever, who thought that one up.

Right now it would be Rask, Chara and Bergeron getting the awards.

wouldn't be fair to eliminate say, stamkos from contention for major awards because his team is bad. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

that's fine, but that's my point. Karlsson may be exciting to watch and everything, but his value is nothing compared to Chara's. I hate what the Norris has become, I think this post season has shown (small sample size, but it's given us some evidence) that puck moving d men just aren't as important as a big strong, shut down guy.

[/QUOTE]

I dont think i agree.  And i dont think you can compare.  Gill is a big shut down guy, orpik is and so on.  In todays game if you cant skate and move the puck you are becoming extinct.  Chara can move for a big man...he can cough the puck up on occasion but is very good at moving the puck.  

Karlsson bc of his skating, puck moving can do things chara cant.  Chara bc of his massive size and skill can do things no one in the league can.  

If you look at the elite dmen in the league....most can skate effortlessly.  Keith, drew, letang, pk, karlsson etc etc etc.   The game has never seen a guy like chara.  But once you remove him from your small sample size argument who do you have?   

dont get me wrong...you need some stay at home types who can defend your yard.  But the league is about mobile dmen.   i dont think pitts goalie was the issue.  I think it was their back end.  Letang was terrible that series, so was eaton, murray, niskanen, martin.  I also thought orpik wasnt his usual self.  

I think you need a nice blend.  

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

Exactly!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrandPapiRGods. Show OrrandPapiRGods's posts

Chara's the ideal foundation for a great playoff TEAM. It would be more fun to watch a Letang or Karlsson in the reg season but come playoff time Z's the man you want. Standing still he can cover about a 30 ft radius with his wing span and stick length, it's ridiculous how often that factor breaks up a play. The wing span comes in handy for snagging last second open net opportunities too, incredible!

The 2nd powerplay unit is where he belongs though. Keep Krug on the 1st unit, He's obviously much better and it spreads the minutes around.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

True but there's more to it than that, Krug moves the puck quickly and has a knack for finding little openings for shots. I don't want to say he's better on the PP, he's just more efficient.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to OrrandPapiRGods's comment:

Chara's the ideal foundation for a great playoff TEAM. It would be more fun to watch a Letang orn in the r Karlssoeg season but come playoff time Z's the man you want. Standing still he can cover about a 30 ft radius with his wing span and stick length, it's ridiculous how often that factor breaks up a play. The wing span comes in handy for snagging last second open net opportunities too, incredible!

The 2nd powerplay unit is where he belongs though. Keep Krug on the 1st unit, He's obviously much better and it spreads the minutes around.

I'd argue Karlsson is just as important if not more to his team come playoff time. You still need to score more goals than your opponent. He's a game changer, doesnt matter if that game is in October or June, he's very good at what he does.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

I dont think i agree.  And i dont think you can compare.  Gill is a big shut down guy, orpik is and so on.  In todays game if you cant skate and move the puck you are becoming extinct. Chara can move for a big man...he can cough the puck up on occasion but is very good at moving the puck.  

Karlsson bc of his skating, puck moving can do things chara cant.  Chara bc of his massive size and skill can do things no one in the league can.  

If you look at the elite dmen in the league....most can skate effortlessly.  Keith, drew, letang, pk, karlsson etc etc etc.   The game has never seen a guy like chara.  But once you remove him from your small sample size argument who do you have?   

dont get me wrong...you need some stay at home types who can defend your yard.  But the league is about mobile dmen.   i dont think pitts goalie was the issue.  I think it was their back end.  Letang was terrible that series, so was eaton, murray, niskanen, martin.  I also thought orpik wasnt his usual self.  

I think you need a nice blend.  

Agreed, shupe.  As the Flyers discovered back in '05 when Bobby Clarke signed Derian Hatcher, Mike Rathje and Chris Therrien.  All 6-5, 235 but not fleet of foot.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to stan17's comment:

[QUOTE]

True but there's more to it than that, Krug moves the puck quickly and has a knack for finding little openings for shots. I don't want to say he's better on the PP, he's just more efficient.

[/QUOTE]

I think chara stinks on the pp.  a little torts for you.  Ive never liked chara on the pp. he isnt slick with the puck, he never hits the net and it wears him down.  Krug is better with the puck, hits the net and has that ability to delay long enough then shoot.  Krug also isnt needed for the matchup game.   Im thrilled krug has taken his place.  It makes chara that much better when we need it.  Chara was diving around like a 20 year old in the final minute.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to stan17's comment:

I think chara stinks on the pp.  a little torts for you.  Ive never liked chara on the pp. he isnt slick with the puck, he never hits the net and it wears him down.  Krug is better with the puck, hits the net and has that ability to delay long enough then shoot.  Krug also isnt needed for the matchup game.   Im thrilled krug has taken his place.  It makes chara that much better when we need it.  Chara was diving around like a 20 year old in the final minute.  

You also brought up something I forgot to mention and that's Krug's ability to hold the puck and delay the pass till something opens.