posted at 6/8/2013 5:29 PM EDT
In response to shuperman's comment:
that's fine, but that's my point. Karlsson may be exciting to watch and everything, but his value is nothing compared to Chara's. I hate what the Norris has become, I think this post season has shown (small sample size, but it's given us some evidence) that puck moving d men just aren't as important as a big strong, shut down guy.
I dont think i agree. And i dont think you can compare. Gill is a big shut down guy, orpik is and so on. In todays game if you cant skate and move the puck you are becoming extinct. Chara can move for a big man...he can cough the puck up on occasion but is very good at moving the puck.
Karlsson bc of his skating, puck moving can do things chara cant. Chara bc of his massive size and skill can do things no one in the league can.
If you look at the elite dmen in the league....most can skate effortlessly. Keith, drew, letang, pk, karlsson etc etc etc. The game has never seen a guy like chara. But once you remove him from your small sample size argument who do you have?
dont get me wrong...you need some stay at home types who can defend your yard. But the league is about mobile dmen. i dont think pitts goalie was the issue. I think it was their back end. Letang was terrible that series, so was eaton, murray, niskanen, martin. I also thought orpik wasnt his usual self.
I think you need a nice blend.
Okay, so if you look at the guys like PK and Karlsson, they can do things that guys like keith and Chara can't. I agree. but the things that those guys can do that guys like Chara and Keith can't, in my opinion, are a fraction as important as the things Chara and Keith can do that guys like PK and Karlsson can't do. Here is a list of all the playoff teams and whether their number 1 d man would be considered a mover, or a guy with shut down capability (if you're both, that's fine, but my point is those guys need to have the shut down capability)
1. Pittsburgh - puck mover (out)
2. Montreal - puck mover (out)
3. Washington - puck mover (out)
4. Boston - shut down (still playing)
5. Toronto - I think Phaneuf is more of an offensive guy than a shut down guy? he isn't good at either though (out)
6. NYR - shut down capable (out)
7. Ottawa - puck mover (out)
8. NYI - puck mover (out)
9. Chicago - shut down capable (still playing)
10. Anaheim - puck mover (out)
11. Vancouver - puck mover (out)
12. st louis - shut down capable (out)
13. LA - shut down capable (still playing)
14. San Jose - (moving burns up was a bad idea imo) puck mover (out)
15. Detroit - shut down capable (out)
16. Minnesota - shut down capable (out)
note: not saying that the guys listed as puck movers are the typical "puck moving defensemen," but more that their game isn't predicated on being able to shut down the opposition.