Chara

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Chara

Does anyone know if he is nursing an injury?

His minutes are down from his usual so far this season and was down to only 20mins last night.

Granted I have been very busy and have not had the time to be fully engaged so far this season but am I missing something?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Re: Chara

The Sharks emphasized speed and close checking with multiple players on the puck. in those situations, the speed and puck movement of Krug, Hamilton and Seidenberg[ not as much speed] were more effective.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to bogie6's comment:

The Sharks emphasized speed and close checking with multiple players on the puck. in those situations, the speed and puck movement of Krug, Hamilton and Seidenberg[ not as much speed] were more effective.

True but his minutes have been down all season. This is very, very un-Charalike.

Plus, since when has Chara not been the main guy in all situations?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Chara is still one of the top D-men in any league with his size, reach and experience. However, rule changes and interpretations have an effect on his decisions which were only as quick as necessary with his strong skills. In the faster NHL , coaches are forcing faster moves and decisions with closer checking and multiple player attacks like last night. Now both Chara and Claude need to anticipate and adjust faster which is a major challenge to Chara's enormous body's natural slowness to start and react.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

In response to bogie6's comment:

True but his minutes have been down all season. This is very, very un-Charalike.

Plus, since when has Chara not been the main guy in all situations?

I'd say since the Bruins have a good, developing corps of 7-8 Dmen...they need to all rotate in to gain the experience. If Krug, Hamilton and Bartkowski are playing well enough to warrant more time, it is in the Bruins best interest to back off a litte on Chara's time and utilize him more when the chips are down.

I like the way the Bs are handling the glut (=embarassment of riches) defensemen that they currently have. Big Z will get his time.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rufus604. Show Rufus604's posts

After last years playoff run Claude mentioned that Chara was tired after a condensed season.  I recall him saying that with the yound D in the system they would try and reduce his minutes to try and keep him fresh, especially with the Olympics this year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

I took a look at the TOI report.  Chara took regular shifts, with no large gaps.  So his ice time was intentional.  Seeing 20 minutes as his TOI is certainly startling, and I think a good thing.  Whether he's nursing an injury or not, less wear and tear is good.

There were also only 2 penalties in that game.  I think that may have reduced his minutes some.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

Chara has been great for this team, but it looks like he's slowed down in the last few years (last year and this year).  

Plus he was exposed by the quicker Blackhawks in the playoffs.  Whether he's hurt or not, I'd say the best strategy is to reduce his minutes and transition to the young D.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Let's not get ahead of things with Chara.  What the Blackhawks did is what the Hurricanes did with Chara a few years back.  Send in a big body to occupy him physically, then a smaller, quick stick to retrieve the puck.  Not every team is able to do this, and it's not without its costs.  Point is, the Blackhawks' success against him wasn't a result of his age, but it may have been improved by fatigue.

They've said numerous times that they want to manage Chara's minutes.  Just makes sense, doesn't it?  So it's nothing to worry about unless there's a key PK or a tight game where he starts missing shifts or Julien starts playing Seidenberg and Hamilton as his #1 pair.  That is - not for a long time.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Let's not get ahead of things with Chara.  What the Blackhawks did is what the Hurricanes did with Chara a few years back.  Send in a big body to occupy him physically, then a smaller, quick stick to retrieve the puck.  Not every team is able to do this, and it's not without its costs.  Point is, the Blackhawks' success against him wasn't a result of his age, but it may have been improved by fatigue.

They've said numerous times that they want to manage Chara's minutes.  Just makes sense, doesn't it?  So it's nothing to worry about unless there's a key PK or a tight game where he starts missing shifts or Julien starts playing Seidenberg and Hamilton as his #1 pair.  That is - not for a long time.

...and there is the answer. I have no problem with Z getting his minutes cut back. Wouldn't be surprised to see him get the occasional night off either. Especially this year. He's gonna log monster minutes in Sochi too. Z at 100% (or close to) when the playoffs arrive is the goal, I would assume. He was clearly injured and gassed last year. He could easily play 100+ games this year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I concur Doc (not Emrick), keep those minutes monitored.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitchener. Show kitchener's posts

Bruin's young D are starting to take over,don't have a problem with that.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I think they realize they have a good team that may go far and know that Chara was so dinged up in last years Finals that it effected his game. They are trying to keep him fresh and having good young defenseman along with Seidenberg,McQuaid and Boychuk allow them to do it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Nothing more than managing Chara's minutes, smart plan.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

CJ is giving the young guys more ice time, which is good. On the other hand, Big Z, while still effective, is slowing down. Giving him less PP point time and putting him in front of the net looks like it might help. We'll see.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

It's definitely a combination of both managing Chara's minutes, and Claude trusting his 2nd and 3rd pairings more. He's probably going to log more quality minutes, and it's only going to help the young guys moving forward.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

I like Chara down low because anything Julien can do to improve the woeful PP is a plus. Will that add to his TOI and in the end wear him out even more by the time the playoffs roll around? Don't know the answer to that but the guy has to be fresh for the playoffs or I'm thinking the Bs will make an early exit.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to trouts' comment:

I like Chara down low because anything Julien can do to improve the woeful PP is a plus. Will that add to his TOI and in the end wear him out even more by the time the playoffs roll around? Don't know the answer to that but the guy has to be fresh for the playoffs or I'm thinking the Bs will make an early exit.

Whoa Trouts, 70 games left!

Sections
Shortcuts