Chara's style of defense

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Re: Chara's style of defense

In Response to Chara's style of defense:
    [QUOTE]It seems like most teams have figured out that Chara will let you skate across the blue line without any resistance. I notice more and more team are skating in on Chara's side of the ice. He basically skates backwards and gives the player plenty of opportunities to shoot or pass. Without Thomas I think the Bruins would have the worst defensive stats in the league
    Posted by skater68[/QUOTE]

From first to worst all because of one player ?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Chara's style of defense:
    [QUOTE]It seems like most teams have figured out that Chara will let you skate across the blue line without any resistance. I notice more and more team are skating in on Chara's side of the ice. He basically skates backwards and gives the player plenty of opportunities to shoot or pass. Without Thomas I think the Bruins would have the worst defensive stats in the league
    Posted by skater68[/QUOTE]
    3 years now Boston's had the best(or 2nd best)GAA in the NHL.Now you're going to try to tell us it's in spite of Chara as opposed to because of him.Last year must've been a real fluke for Boston to pull it off with TT on the bench for large portions of the season.I'm sure a fan that notices as much as you can enlighten the rest of us as to who  the d-men are that are better than Chara defensively.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

I will admit....TT does bail out the D more times than I would like him have too...Thats his job, to stop the puck, but how many times do we have to hear Jack Edwards "SAVE THOMAS"....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

In Response to Re: Chara's style of defense:
    [QUOTE]I will admit....TT does bail out the D more times than I would like him have too...Thats his job, to stop the puck, but how many times do we have to hear Jack Edwards "SAVE THOMAS"....
    Posted by bgrif008[/QUOTE]

This season?

About 35+ times a night.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Not sold on Chara.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Not sold on Chara.
    Posted by bim09[/QUOTE]
    Yes but the opposition is.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

PLEASE STOP with the Chara posts!! they are getting boring.. and ridiculous to boot..

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]PLEASE STOP with the Chara posts!! they are getting boring.. and ridiculous to boot..
    Posted by cowboys9[/QUOTE]
    Absolutely right Cowboys.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

Z is not perfect but is matched up with the #1 line of every team night after night. His mistakes are magnified and tallied by his haters. His solid play often goes unnoticed. There's not a team in the league that wouldn't take him in a heartbeat. You don't win the Norris by mistake.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from skater68. Show skater68's posts

Actually I said his style of play allows many opportunities.

I think it works because of Thomas.

I don't think I mentioned hate

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Chara is one of the best defensive defensemen in the league.. Allowing opponents a shot from the blue line? pretty sound defensive strategy actually..

The big knock on chara, isnt chara's fault, the NHL is thin on defensemen right now. The last great teir of guys are past their prime, the next group is really young..

Chara is elite, in a time when being Elite isnt what it has been in the past.. There are no  prime age HOF dmen right now.. Pronger and Lindstrom are past their primes, chara certainly is not an HOF caliber player, niether is keith or green.. Doughty looks like the up and comer but hes got to get there..

The fact is, hes not in the Bourque, Stevens, Pronger, chelios, hall of fame talent that bruins fans want him to be, but he is currently one of the best in the game..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

If you think Jack Edwards is bad, you really need to watch more out of market games. Try some of the free streams on Yahoo.

[QUOTE]I will admit....TT does bail out the D more times than I would like him have too...Thats his job, to stop the puck, but how many times do we have to hear Jack Edwards "SAVE THOMAS"....
    Posted by bgrif008[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

he is much less aggressive than he was a few years ago, seems much more willing to stick check than cream somebody. i'd like to see him be more physical in the defensive zone.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]he is much less aggressive than he was a few years ago, seems much more willing to stick check than cream somebody. i'd like to see him be more physical in the defensive zone.
    Posted by fourrings[/QUOTE]
    I don't care how he breaks up a play as long as it gets broken.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

Chara is Chara. 40-50 points a year, plus stats, and reliable on the defensive end. I do feel though sometimes that during crunch times i'd like to see someone who can skate better out there. Chara should also play on the 2nd power play unit. 

I think another great idea would be to have chara be the guy who is in front of the goalie during PP's just like Pronger did last year

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Chara is Chara. 40-50 points a year, plus stats, and reliable on the defensive end. I do feel though sometimes that during crunch times i'd like to see someone who can skate better out there. Chara should also play on the 2nd power play unit.  I think another great idea would be to have chara be the guy who is in front of the goalie during PP's just like Pronger did last year
    Posted by yaz16[/QUOTE]
    Not a bad idea Yaz.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

[QUOTE]Chara is Chara. 40-50 points a year, plus stats, and reliable on the defensive end. I do feel though sometimes that during crunch times i'd like to see someone who can skate better out there. Chara should also play on the 2nd power play unit.  I think another great idea would be to have chara be the guy who is in front of the goalie during PP's just like Pronger did last year
    Posted by yaz16[/QUOTE]
    That would mean putting Seguin on the PP so the B's have someone with speed to get back... I don't think Julien could do both things. That's a lot to ask. I agree though. It seems every team parks a guy in front of Thomas/Tuukka and I rarely see Bruins players in front of the net (Recchi).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Whats amazing about Chara is he can always stick check both forwards on a 2-1. I always wished I could do that playing D because picking is the hardest thing to do. However I have noticed him backing up to much and relying on his reach IMO.

Chara infront of the net means Bergy on the point your not going to have 3 Dman on the PP right?

Chara-Savard-Horton
    Bergy-Siedes

Wheeler/Seguin-Krejci-Ryder
    Kampfer-Boychuck

I think if you added a true #2 Dman to play with chara who was great at getting up/down the ice the 2 of them would be a lethal combo. Boychuck isnt a good enough skate, Siedes is the closest thing the team has, Although  Kampfer is showing potential.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from niftybear. Show niftybear's posts

Chara's game is obviously not speed and mohawking. Inthe TB game the other night he was crunching guys along the wall pretty god. You could see how the TB forwards were intimidated by that. People criticize Chara because he doesn't play like Paul Coffey.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Nifty,
    no one wants chara to play like coffey, that was a horrible analysis, he gets the same criticism gill did, a guy of his size who isnt punishing players often enough, and doesnt have that mean streak. its not his game, but the criticism is fair.. Does it make him less effective though?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

I can't think of any defenseman who plays the amount of minutes Chara plays and is also someone who "punishes" at every turn. Chara is one of the best-conditioned players in the NHL, and even he gets tired after long shifts and the end of the game. If you want him to be more of a bruising player, you need to cut back on his minutes. You can't have it both ways; the NHL is too good.

Plus, say what you want about Game 7 records and all that, but the reality is that he *does* play the body more during the playoffs. We're mid-season here and it's a marathon.

Bourque was the same way, guys. Not comparing their skills directly, but the fact Bourque played so many minutes meant he also had to be strategic in taking the body versus positional play. When the hit is there to take, both take it. The difference for fans is that Chara's size makes us think he should be tougher when that might not be the best move all the time.

I'm fine with how Chara plays. It ensures he is always on the ice, and gives them the best chance to win.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from skater68. Show skater68's posts

"Chara is one of the best defensive defensemen in the league.. Allowing opponents a shot from the blue line? pretty sound defensive strategy actually"

If he was forcing players to make shots from the blue line that would be great. But that's not what's happening . Players are skating in ,Chara keeps backing up. This gives the offense plenty of time and space to shoot or make passes and it opens up opportunities for D men to come into the play.

It's working because of outstanding goalies is all I'm saying. But it puts way too much pressure on the goalies.

I think Chara is aging and CJ is pushing him too hard. Too many minutes

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Chara is Chara is Chara. No two ways abou it. His style is perfect for Claude's game plan. However I don't really like his game because his size gets in the way when the puck is in or near his skates. This gives him the most problems at the point and behind the defensive net. IMO [ mea culpa] he is not a smart player, takes much too long to determine what he wants to do with the puck; and, far too often, his loooong passes end up being called for icing. He has often been confused by Reccchi's offensive zone short passes [ this is mostly Recchi's fault] which he cannot seem to handle effectively. Still, his long reach and strength are positive assets

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

he needs to use the intimidation factor that he has at his disposal it will only help if forwards are less likely to retrieve pucks in the defensive zone.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from niftybear. Show niftybear's posts

"No one wants Chara to play like Coffey"? How many people here keep complaining that he's not fast or doesn't carry the puck into the attack zone? I see that all the time. His critics never focus on his strengths like his strength and his reach and his effectiveness in the D zone along the boards. Chara is definitely not the problem on Boston. I think many people who keep complaining about him might not be focusing on all the aspects of the position he plays.