Cheap shot by Taylor Hall

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Re: Cheap shot by Taylor Hall

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

Maybe it would help me if we focus on what the penalty/infraction is.  I know it looks horrible and Clutterbuck probably has a blown out knee, but...

-They called kneeing, but it wasn't.  He got him with the hip.

-I didn't think it was particularly late, the puck was in his skates a 1/4 second before the hit.

-It wasn't charging, he was gliding.

-No head contact.  No elbowing.

-I don't think it was low enough to be 'clipping'.  He got clipped in the literal sense, but he wasn't hit below the knee, per the rule.

I'm not sure what you suspend him for?  I think Clutterbuck was about to get hammered and then cut hard towards the center almost avoiding the hit, but causing it to only catch his leg.  I think Hall came in a little low with the hip, so he could be punished for that, I guess, but if he catches him squarely it isn't even a penalty.  He just didn't get enough of him.

Wish the best for Clutterbuck -- it looks horrible.

Sorry Fletch I disagree. It was a leg to knee hit. Look at the reverse angle. The hip isn't what makes contact. It's the inside of Hall's knee and leg to Clutterbuck's knee.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Very cheap shot...and Cluterback didnt have the puck anymore....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

I liked the Landeskog hit because it came from the front and Landeskog should have had his head up.  Good, solid open ice hit.

I hate this hit because Hall comes from the blindside ala Cook, Ulfie, etc.  I will give Hall a little credit in that he really could have bundled him if he wanted too.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to hangnail's comment:

I liked the Landeskog hit because it came from the front and Landeskog should have had his head up.  Good, solid open ice hit.

I hate this hit because Hall comes from the blindside ala Cook, Ulfie, etc.  I will give Hall a little credit in that he really could have bundled him if he wanted too.

That was no blindside hit.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to red75's comment:

Fletch, I looked at three different angles - where does Hall's hip touch him? I can't see him make any contact with his hip.

Looks like hip/thigh to me.  He certainly doesn't stick his knee out.  The unfortunate thing for Clutterback is that his knee is out to the side while he cuts back inward.  I wouldn't say either guy sticks the knee out.  It looks to me like Hall is trying to catch him with the hip and Clutterbuck is trying to avoid it.  No?

I'm not sure about Hall's intent, but it sure did look like a good spot to deliver an open ice hit about a half-second before it happened.

Fletch, look at the clip in the OP at the 25 second mark, that angle sure makes it look to me like he did stick his knee out, only made contact using his knee, and placed it squarely into Clutterbuck's thigh just above the knee.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

It definitely was not blindside.  But, as I look at more angles I can see where it may have been more knee/thigh than hip/thigh.  Still hard for me to tell.  It looks to me like the hip is further extended out than the knee, but because Clutterbuck's leg is also sticking out, the knees collide.

I don't know.  It won't bother me in the least if Hall gets in trouble for going low and making contact with the knee (injuring another player), but I still find this one to be less problematic than many others.  I don't see the intent there (not that any of us can rule on that).

I see Clutterbuck coming up the ice, looking down and sort of kicking at the puck.  That's a big green light for an open ice hit, especially from where Hall is coming.  Hall decides to go for the hit as Clutterbuck leaves the puck and cuts inward.  It happens fast, Hall misses most of the body, and the knees collide.  I can't imagine that Hall planned it that way.

Back to shupe's point, I think it is getting really hard to deliver an open ice hit and this is what happens when you miss by a fraction of a second and end up clipping a guy instead of getting a bigger piece of him.  And you're trying to avoid going high on a guy.  I know many here disagree.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment: You don't think the hit was way late after Ckutterbuck passes the puck ?

The "too late to turn back now or can't stop the follow through" was the defense of Vancouver fans for the Rome hit on Horton...

But the Rome hit had a laundry list of infractions that this one is missing, a few are:

-Very late [/QUOTE]

The late part was the only thing that I was reffering too and the puck was not in his skates. After looking at the hit again Red is right, hip didn't touch at all.

It's up to Shanahan now, there should be a suspension. No matter what Hall gets, it's the least pf worries now. Clutterbuck is going to trash Taylor!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Beezfan4life's comment:

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

I see this differently than some here.

I see this as a brutally vicious play with full intention.  No, you can't target the head or use your elbows.  That just means you have to go old school and use such crazy body parts as shoulder and hips.

No Ulfie as much as Bryan Marchment.

I hope he gets five games minimum for a dirty play that has absolutely no place in any hockey league.  And when Clutterbuck comes back...if Clutterbuck comes back...I hope he pounds Hall through the ice.  Multiple times.

And to the "Seggy is better" guy:  You're a tool.

Was there anyone more filthy with the knees , than Bryan Marchment ? ....nope

Craig Muni......

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

In response to Fletcher1's comment: You don't think the hit was way late after Ckutterbuck passes the puck ?

The "too late to turn back now or can't stop the follow through" was the defense of Vancouver fans for the Rome hit on Horton...

But the Rome hit had a laundry list of infractions that this one is missing, a few are:

-Very late

The late part was the only thing that I was reffering too and the puck was not in his skates. After looking at the hir again Red is right, hip didn't touch at all.

It's up to Shanahan now, there should be a suspension. No matter what Hall gest it's the least pf worries now. Clutterbuck is going to trash Taylor!

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, regardless of Shanahan, I'm looking forward to future Edmonton-Minnesota games.

Of course, it may be the next season before Clutterbuck can go after anyone.

The puck is in his skates right before the hit, I swear.  It looks like he tries to kick it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment: It's up to Shanahan now, there should be a suspension. No matter what Hall gest it's the least pf worries now. Clutterbuck is going to trash Taylor!

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, regardless of Shanahan, I'm looking forward to future Edmonton-Minnesota games.

Of course, it may be the next season before Clutterbuck can go after anyone.

The puck is in his skates right before the hit, I swear.  It looks like he tries to kick it. [/QUOTE]

That's enough for me LMAO

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

The puck is in his skates right before the hit, I swear.  It looks like he tries to kick it. [/QUOTE]

That's enough for me LMAO

[/QUOTE]

Careful, I swear a lot...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

Hall is now officially on my all-time dousch bag list.  It's too bad b/c I used to like him as a player.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to lucdufour's comment:

Hall is now officially on my all-time dousch bag list.  It's too bad b/c I used to like him as a player.

Taylor is gonna learn this one the hard way.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

If that play is all it takes, your list must be 1,000 names long.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

I kind of agree with shupe here -- this isn't quite as easy as people are making it.  Maybe Clutterbuck didn't have the puck, but he sure looked like he was taking it until the last second.  Hall was lining him up before he decided to skate over the puck and leave it for his teammate. I don't have a problem with trying to hit him there.

Now, obviously it became a clip and he caught just the leg, which is bad.  But like shupe said, you're avoiding the head, you're avoiding sticking out the elbow, and there is a last second change (not taking the puck).  So Hall has to react pretty quickly and it may be that second of indecision that causes him to clip him instead of hitting him outright.  He throws out the hip though, not the knee.  

So maybe he deserves a game or two, but let's admit that it is really, really hard to deliver an open ice check these days.  I am one that doesn't think Hall is being predatory here.  Looks like a mistake.  Hip check gone bad.

That's what I see too Fletch and you know how much it pains me to agree with Shupe in any way whatsoever.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

After what happened to one of my all-time favorite players in Cam Neely, blatant knee on knee/thigh hit are egregious enough to get on the list.  I have other guys on their for diving, hits to the head, yapping, launching to hit, unwarranted celebrations...

Raffi Torres, Burrows, Mike McPhee, Mike Foligno, Ulf, Cooke, Ribiero, the Sedin Sisters, Ott, Dale Hunter, Claude, Lapierre, Avery, Carcillo, Sestito, Kaleta, Darcy Tucker, Bieksa, Bertuzzi ...all I can think of right now--there are more. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

After what happened to one of my all-time favorite players in Cam Neely, blatant knee on knee/thigh hit are egregious enough to get on the list.  I have other guys on their for diving, hits to the head, yapping, launching to hit, unwarranted celebrations...

Raffi Torres, Burrows, Mike McPhee, Mike Foligno, Ulf, Cooke, Ribiero, the Sedin Sisters, Ott, Dale Hunter, Claude, Lapierre, Avery, Carcillo, Sestito, Kaleta, Darcy Tucker, Bieksa, Bertuzzi ...all I can think of right now--there are more. 

I think I know why you hate Foligno..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c05tfyG_bqs&playnext=1&list=PLD537FA7ED5651A8B&feature=results_video

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

I think I know why you hate Foligno..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c05tfyG_bqs&playnext=1&list=PLD537FA7ED5651A8B&feature=results_video

[/QUOTE]
    LMAO! Wow Chowda you couldn't have timed it better! 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

I kind of agree with shupe here -- this isn't quite as easy as people are making it.  Maybe Clutterbuck didn't have the puck, but he sure looked like he was taking it until the last second.  Hall was lining him up before he decided to skate over the puck and leave it for his teammate. I don't have a problem with trying to hit him there.

Now, obviously it became a clip and he caught just the leg, which is bad.  But like shupe said, you're avoiding the head, you're avoiding sticking out the elbow, and there is a last second change (not taking the puck).  So Hall has to react pretty quickly and it may be that second of indecision that causes him to clip him instead of hitting him outright.  He throws out the hip though, not the knee.  

So maybe he deserves a game or two, but let's admit that it is really, really hard to deliver an open ice check these days.  I am one that doesn't think Hall is being predatory here.  Looks like a mistake.  Hip check gone bad.

That's what I see too Fletch and you know how much it pains me to agree with Shupe in any way whatsoever.

Yea & pains me to agree with any Maritimer let alone 2 of them! If Stevegm says he's in agreement with us I'm gonna throw up! 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=656981

Hall got a two game suspension. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

That hit has been growing on me the more times I watch it. Hall got him very high up on the leg but he was clearly aiming for Clutterbuck's midsection.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Smart analysis.  

In response to WalkTheLine's comment:

I don't think there was any malice on Hall's part here. He's was pretty reckless in juniors and hasn't quite been cured of it in the NHL. There's a fine line between fearless and reckless. Hope he figures it out.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=656981

Hall got a two game suspension. 

Good.  Not too much, not a simple fine.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Shanny screwed this one up. His explanation is spot on, but his punishment doesn't fit the crime.  Should have been 3 games minimum, maybe due to the shortened season he's going to hand out lighter sentences. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrrGOAT2. Show No4BobbyOrrGOAT2's posts

You missed Bill Barber

Sections
Shortcuts