Looking at the Bruins' roster and salaries on CapGeek, it states that the PC has just under $10M to spend. Where could the Bs save money on the current roster in order to upgrade other areas? Would the savings allow them to acquire players to improve the team overall? Or would the be better off retaining the player in question? I listed some cheaper alternatives for similar production who could be targeted via trade or free agency.

#1) David Krecji - C - $5.25M
Krecji has continuity with the team, but I feel his production doesn't deserve the salary he will earn. His stretches of inconsistency drive many fans mad. I would not be opposed to moving him and his salary if he could be replaced by a cheaper, similar player.

Options
Jordan Staal - C - $4M (Not necessarily cheaper and would take a large trade, but would rather pay him the large cap hit than Krecji)
Derek Roy - C - $4M
Vinny Prospal - C - $1.75M
Other suggestions?

#2) Rich Peverley - C/W - $3.25M
Shrewd pickup by PC last season to acquire Peverley from Atlanta/Winnipeg, He is a unique player in that he can fit on any line. Great skater with good skill. However, when he was resigned I felt it was a bit higher than I would've liked. He's on the list, but I don't know any comparables that the Bs could get similar production and versatility for this cap hit.

Options
Teddy Purcell - W - $2.35M
Ray Whitney - W - $3M
Pascal Dupuis - W - $1.5
Nick Foligno - W - $1.5M

#3) Milan Lucic - W - $4M
Lucic is at his best when his skating game is on and uses his frame, power, and intimidation to forecheck. He is not and will never be a pure goal scorer, but he has a role on the team. However, $4M is a lot to spend on this role. I personally would not trade Lucic, but the option could be considered and the return could be great.

Options
Benoit Pouliot - W - $1.5M?
TJ Oshie - C/W - $2.35M
Other Suggestions?

#4) Johnny Boychuk - D - $3.3M
Boychuk is an above average defenseman (IMO) who benefits from playing with Zdeno Chara. He still makes mistakes and has lapses that wouldn't be expected from an NHL D-Man with his experience. Postives; checking, size, slapshot. Maybe a cheaper alternative could be had.

Options
Hal Gill - D - $2.5M?
Ladislav Smid - D - $2.25M
Other Suggestions?

Other Possible Candidates
Andrew Ference - D - $2.25M
Torey Krug - D - $1.7M