cheapskate Jacobs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

cheapskate Jacobs

to spend $70 million on complete Garden renovations, top-to-bottom.(NESN)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

Re: cheapskate Jacobs

In response to watchtower's comment:
    [QUOTE]

to spend $70 million on complete Garden renovations, top-to-bottom.(NESN)

[/QUOTE]

Only 70 million? What an insult? Might as well knock the place down

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Smart move by Jacobs. The building was somewhat short of state-of-the-art when it was built almost 20 years ago. Now it will be AND he is staying ahead of some future renovation costs at the same time AND making the fan experience better. Wicked smaht!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from socca10. Show socca10's posts

Does knowing the "new Garden" is almost 20 already make me feel old? Well, yes, yes it does.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Sorry, but he is cheap.  Probably a lot of that stuff should have been in the original build.

And I see nothing about dehumidification.  If you've been there during the playoffs with warm weather outside youi know the floors are all damp with humidity.  Amazing he hasn't been sued because I would bet more than a few people have fallen because of it.

I enjoy the games on tv, the ticket prices are way too high.  Someone else will buy the seats.  Jacobs will live and prosper and so will I to a much smaller extent on the prospering part at least.

Sorry, I don't like the guy from the public face he's put on.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

where's Rusty ?  can't wait to see Kraft fork over 140m (only because football stadiums are bigger) to get Foxboro revamped. Maybe use some of his parking to better the experience ?

I can't believe the Garden is over 20 years old !!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Looks like he's interested in the Buffalo Bills as well.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

the past is the past (i prefer not to dwell). as of april 2014 JJ spends to the cap... that's all you can ask of an owner. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sorry, but he is cheap.  Probably a lot of that stuff should have been in the original build.

And I see nothing about dehumidification.  If you've been there during the playoffs with warm weather outside youi know the floors are all damp with humidity.  Amazing he hasn't been sued because I would bet more than a few people have fallen because of it.

I enjoy the games on tv, the ticket prices are way too high.  Someone else will buy the seats.  Jacobs will live and prosper and so will I to a much smaller extent on the prospering part at least.

[/QUOTE]

We'll have to agree to disagree on the Jacobs is a tightwad stuff. But regarding the humidity issue. I've spent much of my career in the construction world and have lots of experts to go to on this stuff. The humidity problem exists in virtually every arena when certain conditions arise. It's mostly an air-flow issue which cannot be counted on to completely deal with high humidity in late May-early June when it's warm and humid and there are 17k breathing, yelling bodies in the building not to mention a slab of ice in the midle of it all. It's not impossible to build a dehumidification system that would handle the problem in all but the most extreme conditions but it would be the first one ever built for an arena. This is from one of my friends who has worked in the commercial HVAC biz for over 20 years. He explained all this to me (with much more technical blah blah) when we were watching a game a coupel seasons back where the humidity kicked up and they were talking about during the broadcast. So I think whether Jacobs is cheap or not is unrelated to the humidity stuff.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Cam said that they brought in dehumidification equipment during the playoffs and it helped, Cam also said he didn't understand why it wasn't installed in the first place.

Not to doubt what you said, I'm just quoting back what the team president said.

Let's see about the flies on the overhead center ice camera, I wonder if they will be back this spring.  And I wonder why that isn't a problem in every rink.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

Cam said that they brought in dehumidification equipment during the playoffs and it helped, Cam also said he didn't understand why it wasn't installed in the first place.

Let's see about the flies on the overhead center ice camera, I wonder if they will be back this spring.  And I wonder why that isn't a problem in every rink.

I like the flies.  It brings an outdoor feel to the game.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to socca10's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Does knowing the "new Garden" is almost 20 already make me feel old? Well, yes, yes it does.

[/QUOTE]

Was thinking the same thing.  Can't beleive it.  I distinctly remember watching them tearing down the Old Garden from the train, and it seems like such a short time ago.

Never been a fan of the new building.  Too big.  Too cavernous.  And not much on character.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to socca10's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Was thinking the same thing.  Can't beleive it.  I distinctly remember watching them tearing down the Old Garden from the train, and it seems like such a short time ago.

Never been a fan of the new building.  Too big.  Too cavernous.  And not much on character.  

[/QUOTE]

Winning and Championships can build that but i know what you mean,the old barns just oozed of character.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitchener. Show kitchener's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He can't own both,would have to sell Bruins if he buys the Bills,or guess could give the money to his kid to buy Bills.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to kitchener's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He can't own both,would have to sell Bruins if he buys the Bills,or guess could give the money to his kid to buy Bills.

[/QUOTE]

I read an article that says he would just have to shift ownership of the Bruins to his son,easy loophole to get around.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to kitchener's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He can own both.

Who says he can't?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He can own both.

Who says he can't?

[/QUOTE]

I believe the NFL, they say you can only own football and nothing else.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

He was never a tightwad. Pre-cap he just didn't spend more than he took in like a few teams were doing. Since was a bit of a jerk (and short-sighted) when it came to spending on role players, but the Bruins always paid a good amount of dollars on their team.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

He can own both.

Who says he can't?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah,i think its a NFL requirement.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    The dehumidifiers they brought in are a band-aid. It did little to resolve the issue. I stand by my HVAC expert as to why it's not an easy problem to fix. I suspect he knows more than Cam about this sort of thing. Maybe even more than you as well, eh?

As to the flies....i assume it's not a problem in other rinks. Unless stanley frequents them :P

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

And it is scary to me that the place is 20 years old already, I feel old.

Also - there are just 4 regular season games left, not sure about you, but this season flew by.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

He can own both.

Who says he can't?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not exactly... Paul Allen owns the Seahawks and the TrailBlazers.. That is only because there is no NFL franchise in Portland.... that is why Jacobs would have to sell the B's... And that ain't happening....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Changes include a larger pro shop (Sell more!), larger concession areas (Sell more!) and revamped Legend's Club (Charge more!).

The rinkwide wifi is pretty cool, however.  Not $90 balcony seats cool, but still cool.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to WalkTheLine's comment:

[QUOTE]

We'll have to agree to disagree on the Jacobs is a tightwad stuff. But regarding the humidity issue. I've spent much of my career in the construction world and have lots of experts to go to on this stuff. The humidity problem exists in virtually every arena when certain conditions arise. It's mostly an air-flow issue which cannot be counted on to completely deal with high humidity in late May-early June when it's warm and humid and there are 17k breathing, yelling bodies in the building not to mention a slab of ice in the midle of it all. It's not impossible to build a dehumidification system that would handle the problem in all but the most extreme conditions but it would be the first one ever built for an arena. This is from one of my friends who has worked in the commercial HVAC biz for over 20 years. He explained all this to me (with much more technical blah blah) when we were watching a game a coupel seasons back where the humidity kicked up and they were talking about during the broadcast. So I think whether Jacobs is cheap or not is unrelated to the humidity stuff.

[/QUOTE]

I've taken HVAC & you're bang on the money. One thing a lot of people get mixed up. They say "heat rises". That's false. Heat will travel to the coldest point. Hot Air rises, but heat doesn't necessarily travel that way. In May & June the ambient temp is certainly going to be a lot different which creates extra humidity because of the ice surface. To not like an owner because of something of this nature? Whatever....

Sections
Shortcuts