Cherry asked "Who decided to sit Thornton for that last game? "

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobbyOrrAlumni. Show BobbyOrrAlumni's posts

Cherry asked "Who decided to sit Thornton for that last game? "

The third and fourth lines were arguably the most consistent all year long, so why fiddle with them?  By swtching the lines around and sitting out Thornton
    Julien sucked out the little energy the Bruins had left !

Shame on you Julien !  Your job is to win games by playing the best hand you've got at the time.  Everyone with eyes could see that the first line was completely hopeless this year and should have been playing 4th line minutes .

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nix02061. Show nix02061's posts

Re: Cherry asked "Who decided to sit Thornton for that last game? "

I'm not going to reply to all 3 of your threads but I think playing Caron had more to do with Bergeron's injury than Thornton's productivity.  Had Bergeron needed to miss shifts Caron would have replaced him on that line.  Knowing what we know now about his injury (it fully explains the penalties he was called for in those last two games) you couldn't take Paille or Campbell out as they are valued for PK time.

Would Thornton had been crucial? Maybe.  However with the injuries sustained by some of the top forwards I don't think Claude had much of a choice. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moogfan35. Show moogfan35's posts

Julien has already stated that the Bergeron injury is why Caron was dressed. They didnt know if he would be able to make through the entire game

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nix02061. Show nix02061's posts

In Response to Re: Cherry asked "Who decided to sit Thornton for that last game? ":
    [QUOTE]Julien has already stated that the Bergeron injury is why Caron was dressed. They didnt know if he would be able to make through the entire game
    Posted by moogfan35[/QUOTE]

Thanks for verifing Moog.  Couldn't remember if/when Claude stated that.  All I remember Claude definetely saying is that sitting Thornton didn't have to do with Thornton which was a dead giveaway as to who it had to do with.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Premise just isn't based in reality.  It's based in lowered expectations.  Sure, the 3rd and 4th line met or exceeded expectations most of the year, but only in one or two short bursts did either line exceed expectations enough to be considered worthy of even second line minutes.  Production from Campbell and Thornton was down 40% over the year.

There were fewer games this year where a fourth line goal made a difference, and fewer still where the fourth line's contributions motivated the rest of the team.  Last year, rolling four worked like a charm.  This year, the fourth line wasn't as consistent in its impact.  It makes me wonder if playing with Marchand for a couple of months goosed Thornton adn Campbell in a way that playing with Paille never will.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

BB, your perspective is right on. Even Chiarelli paid attention when he commented about the CAPS 3rd and 4th lines as inter-changeable. No One can accuse Shawn Thornton of lack of efort, but he does not have the skills to add value. Campbell was less capable this year than last. Caron is a better skilled player than Thornton, and has the necessary skills to play effectively on any line, one thru four. Charry is entertaining, but has never been "astute".

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

In Response to Cherry asked "Who decided to sit Thornton for that last game? ":
    [QUOTE] The third and fourth lines were arguably the most consistent all year long, so why fiddle with them?  By swtching the lines around and sitting out Thornton Julien sucked out the little energy the Bruins had left ! Shame on you Julien !  Your job is to win games by playing the best hand you've got at the time.  Everyone with eyes could see that the first line was completely hopeless this year and should have been playing 4th line minutes .
    Posted by BobbyOrrAlumni[/QUOTE]

Thornton had zero energy in these series ...couldnt even skate with Chimera..couldnt even give a good hit ...sorry I totally disagree ...If PC could get a 3rd or 4th round pick for Thornton I would say let him go ....we can always get a younger and bigger and cheaper player to do Thornton's job agaisnt rough teams such as the Flyers (George Parros)

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011 and 2013

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

If they didn't win that series because shawn Thornton didn't play, then this team was far worse than I imagined.

If I recall, they lost 3 games WITH him in the lineup, and his line was badly outplayed by the Caps bottom three.

I'll take Caron every day of the week over Thornton (and I don't hate Thornton). I may be in the minority, but I think Caron is going to really have a good year (a'la 2nd year of Marchand) next year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from number08. Show number08's posts

Last year Thornton won a game for us with his energy -I think it was the Tampa series. We needed someone to show a spark -Marchand was close in game 7. I would rather have seen Bergeron sit if he was hurt that bad, we still won against Philly last year when he went down.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In Response to Re: Cherry asked "Who decided to sit Thornton for that last game? ":
    [QUOTE]Premise just isn't based in reality.  It's based in lowered expectations.  Sure, the 3rd and 4th line met or exceeded expectations most of the year, but only in one or two short bursts did either line exceed expectations enough to be considered worthy of even second line minutes.  Production from Campbell and Thornton was down 40% over the year. There were fewer games this year where a fourth line goal made a difference, and fewer still where the fourth line's contributions motivated the rest of the team.  Last year, rolling four worked like a charm.  This year, the fourth line wasn't as consistent in its impact.  It makes me wonder if playing with Marchand for a couple of months goosed Thornton adn Campbell in a way that playing with Paille never will.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

Very good. Also, remember Thornton's lackulster effort backchecking on Knuble's game winning goal in game 5? So if he is not fighting, hitting, occasionally scoring, or backchecking he should not be on the ice.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I probably would have played Thornton but it's hardly a big deal either way. In game 5 he gets blamed for that back-check, but just prior to the Bruins rallying and scoring a couple he had a great shift, throwing hits and mouthing off and causing havoc. He might have been nice to have in game 7

Regardless, Julien didn't play Thornton because Bergeron was injured. I can remember last year when Horton got hurt in game 3 and Seguin was scratched in favor of Thornton and I was thinking "great, now we have neither Seguin or Horton, Thornton can't fill that role." Of course, that turned out fine, but playing Caron was a good decision. That lineup won game 6.

There is no point in blaming anyone for that series. As we can see with the NYR series, Washington is playing a style which drags things out, nullifies skill on both sides and hopes for a lucky bounce. They are not good enough so they are hoping to luck there way to the cup. They will probably lose eventually. It's too bad the Bruins drew them in round 1.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nix02061. Show nix02061's posts

[QUOTE]Last year Thornton won a game for us with his energy -I think it was the Tampa series. We needed someone to show a spark -Marchand was close in game 7. I would rather have seen Bergeron sit if he was hurt that bad, we still won against Philly last year when he went down.
    Posted by number08[/QUOTE]

Bergeron (and Seguin with his hand the way it was) each showed more grit and hustle than Lucic and Krejci combined. 

The only times you could tell Bergeron was hurt was with his 3 (1 or 2 of which were BS) penalties in 2 games and that he couldn't take faceoffs. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]I probably would have played Thornton but it's hardly a big deal either way. In game 5 he gets blamed for that back-check, but just prior to the Bruins rallying and scoring a couple he had a great shift, throwing hits and mouthing off and causing havoc. He might have been nice to have in game 7 Regardless, Julien didn't play Thornton because Bergeron was injured. I can remember last year when Horton got hurt in game 3 and Seguin was scratched in favor of Thornton and I was thinking "great, now we have neither Seguin or Horton, Thornton can't fill that role." Of course, that turned out fine, but playing Caron was a good decision. That lineup won game 6. There is no point in blaming anyone for that series. As we can see with the NYR series, Washington is playing a style which drags things out, nullifies skill on both sides and hopes for a lucky bounce. They are not good enough so they are hoping to luck there way to the cup. They will probably lose eventually. It's too bad the Bruins drew them in round 1.
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

Good points but I am not sure anyone is blaming Thornton's play for the loss of the series. I am certainly not. That said, the B's definitely did not lose because Thornton was in the pressbox either. As you mentioned, Bergeron was at 60% and CJ needed a viable replacement in the lineup should he be unable to continue. I think the best way to put it is that Thornton was irrelevant to the eventual outcome either way.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

The b's needed someone who could skate and maybe score. Cherry gets an official "second guessers" plaque. Thornton was due a reputation minor anyway.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobbyOrrAlumni. Show BobbyOrrAlumni's posts

[QUOTE]Last year Thornton won a game for us with his energy -I think it was the Tampa series. We needed someone to show a spark -Marchand was close in game 7. I would rather have seen Bergeron sit if he was hurt that bad, we still won against Philly last year when he went down.
    Posted by number08[/QUOTE]

Finally , a sane voice from the wilderness !

Thanks for the comment  #8 !

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobbyOrrAlumni. Show BobbyOrrAlumni's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cherry asked "Who decided to sit Thornton for that last game? " : Good points but I am not sure anyone is blaming Thornton's play for the loss of the series. I am certainly not. That said, the B's definitely did not lose because Thornton was in the pressbox either. As you mentioned, Bergeron was at 60% and CJ needed a viable replacement in the lineup should he be unable to continue. I think the best way to put it is that Thornton was irrelevant to the eventual outcome either way.
    Posted by jmwalters[/QUOTE]

Was Thonton irrelevent during the Stanley cup seires vs vancouver last year ?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cherry asked "Who decided to sit Thornton for that last game? " : Was Thonton irrelevent during the Stanley cup seires vs vancouver last year ?

No but he certainly was in the 2012 playoffs against the Caps and I think that is what this thread was about; whether sitting Thornton was a mistake in the 7th game against Washington in 2012.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cherry asked "Who decided to sit Thornton for that last game? " : Finally , a sane voice from the wilderness ! Thanks for the comment  #8 !
    Let me get this straight. You're trying to use Cherry as an example of why your opinion is the "sane one"? That's like saying, "see, I was right because the crazy guy said so".

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In Response to Cherry asked "Who decided to sit Thornton for that last game? ":
    [QUOTE] The third and fourth lines were arguably the most consistent all year long, so why fiddle with them?  By swtching the lines around and sitting out Thornton Julien sucked out the little energy the Bruins had left ! Shame on you Julien !  Your job is to win games by playing the best hand you've got at the time.  Everyone with eyes could see that the first line was completely hopeless this year and should have been playing 4th line minutes .

Are you mad Thornton wasnt on the power play?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Lol. The fourth line makes things happen but rarely do they cash in. Thornton would have made no difference, and last year was coincidental.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

It's a known fact:  The Bruins lost that Game Seven because Thornton didn't make angry faces and bounce up and down on the bench.  Also he wasn't on the ice to skate all over the place away from the play and sort of throw a check or two.

If he had been bouncing around and yelled at a Capital or two, the B's most assuredly would have won that game.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

[QUOTE]It's a known fact:  The Bruins lost that Game Seven because Thornton didn't make angry faces and bounce up and down on the bench.  Also he wasn't on the ice to skate all over the place away from the play and sort of throw a check or two. If he had been bouncing around and yelled at a Capital or two, the B's most assuredly would have won that game.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE] Yawn

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

If the B's had scored a goal on the gift power play with 2 minutes left to go in Game 7, all of Julien's choices would look pretty brilliant right now.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

True but if the Habs managed to win in double overtime last year then CJ would likely be unemployed right now. Same logic, no?

People are always judged by results and not what might have been.

Still, Thornton would not have made any difference in the series.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]True but if the Habs managed to win in double overtime last year then CJ would likely be unemployed right now. Same logic, no? People are always judged by results and not what might have been. Posted by jmwalters[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%. I say that all the time.  As a matter of fact, I got roasted on this board not long after the Cup when when I noted that as thrilled as I was about the Cup, if a bounce went the wrong way in the Montreal series and they lost (which could easily have happened) TT would be remembered for the weak goals against and not a Conn Smythe, (and likely long traded), Julien would have been applying for unemployment in May instead of hoisting a Cup in June and PC would have been calling his friends at Harvard for a reference letter.

None of that is criticism, just pure facts about the tiny sliver of difference in these games sometimes.

That said, I agree with the poster who said if this team's difference in winning or losing the first round was Sean Thornton, they aren't as good a team as I thought.