Cherry asked "Who decided to sit Thornton for that last game? "

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Re: Cherry asked "Who decided to sit Thornton for that last game? "

In Response to Re: Cherry asked "Who decided to sit Thornton for that last game? ":
    In Response to Re: Cherry asked "Who decided to sit Thornton for that last game? " : I agree 100%. I say that all the time.  As a matter of fact, I got roasted on this board not long after the Cup when when I noted that as thrilled as I was about the Cup, if a bounce went the wrong way in the Montreal series and they lost (which could easily have happened) TT would be remembered for the weak goals against and not a Conn Smythe, (and likely long traded), Julien would have been applying for unemployment in May instead of hoisting a Cup in June and PC would have been calling his friends at Harvard for a reference letter. None of that is criticism, just pure facts about the tiny sliver of difference in these games sometimes. That said, I agree with the poster who said if this team's difference in winning or losing the first round was Sean Thornton, they aren't as good a team as I thought.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL

I have absolutely no argument with everything in this post. The thought that somehow Thornton would be the differencemaker is just ridiculous. It is very likely that had he been in the lineup in that 7th game he would not have seen a minute of icetime in overtime, much less on that late PP the B's had which should have been the game right there. I like the guy but his skillset is very limited and his role specialized to the point that he can only be used sparingly in the playoffs. That's why CJ sits him. Cherry should have retired a decade ago and anything he says can not be taken seriously anymore.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Can we stop looking for excuses !!!  
    Nothing to do with Thornton.  They lost 3 games with Thorton in the lineup.
    They lost period !

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In Response to Re: Cherry asked "Who decided to sit Thornton for that last game? ":
    Can we stop looking for excuses !!!   Nothing to do with Thornton.  They lost 3 games with Thorton in the lineup. They lost period !
    Posted by BsLegion

Your sig line says all there needs to be said about this. On to 2012-13 and the start of the Seguin/Hamilton era (hopefully).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: Cherry asked "Who decided to sit Thornton for that last game? " : Your sig line says all there needs to be said about this. On to 2012-13 and the start of the Seguin/Hamilton era (hopefully).
    Posted by jmwalters

Nice !  Now there's the sun breaking through those dark, grey clouds.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Makes me eagerly anticipating next year. Plus the other questions:

Will Caron finally make it as a regular?

Will Krug join Hamilton in the NHL?

Will there be any other surprises in camp (ala Lucic a few years ago)?

Will Seguin secure a position as a top-line center and have a breakout season?

Will TT stay?

What will happen to Corvo? lol!

Love it!! By the way, the sun always rises in the East.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Yeah, they played with honor this year as well as in the playoffs.  Sometimes it doesnt work out.  On to next year.

Its still a very likeable bunch and a nice Bruins team to be obsessed with.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Yep, the core is still mostly young and signed and some youngsters are poised to make an impact. A great time to be a Bruins fan. There have been some dark days, Lewis or Bowness era for example, but this is not one of them.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Makes me eagerly anticipating next year. Plus the other questions: Will Caron finally make it as a regular? Will Krug join Hamilton in the NHL? Will there be any other surprises in camp (ala Lucic a few years ago)? Will Seguin secure a position as a top-line center and have a breakout season? Will TT stay? What will happen to Corvo? lol! Love it!!
    Posted by jmwalters

Caron will have a season where he surprises all and goes from being a plug-in to a regular contributing 20 goal scorer (ala Marchand). I think Seguin will have a breakout year regardless of where he's asked to play. I'm all for changing his position if it means an even better Seguin. Seeing him developing as a player and knowing the Bruins have the best D prospect in the game in Hamilton are just 2 of the reasons that 2013 should be exciting for Bruins fans.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LegendofBoston. Show LegendofBoston's posts

I probably would have played Thornton but it's hardly a big deal either way. In game 5 he gets blamed for that back-check, but just prior to the Bruins rallying and scoring a couple he had a great shift, throwing hits and mouthing off and causing havoc. He might have been nice to have in game 7 Regardless, Julien didn't play Thornton because Bergeron was injured. I can remember last year when Horton got hurt in game 3 and Seguin was scratched in favor of Thornton and I was thinking "great, now we have neither Seguin or Horton, Thornton can't fill that role." Of course, that turned out fine, but playing Caron was a good decision. That lineup won game 6. There is no point in blaming anyone for that series. As we can see with the NYR series, Washington is playing a style which drags things out, nullifies skill on both sides and hopes for a lucky bounce. They are not good enough so they are hoping to luck there way to the cup. They will probably lose eventually. It's too bad the Bruins drew them in round 1.
    Posted by OatesCam

Honestly couldn't have said it better. Well written. 

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

As much as I like Caron, he has a little too much Blake Wheeler in him for my tastes. His best game is and will be sheer will to win puck battles, drive to the net and open up space for his linemates. I'd like to see more "killer instinct" from him, and if it doesn't come in Game 7 when you get a shot, when will it come?

For that reason, I was pleased he was given a shot to prove himself in a big game. Think about what Seguin and Marchand did with their opportunities last year. They got a crack of daylight and did everything in their power to take advantage of it. Unfortunately, Caron didn't show the same desire to be a difference-maker. It's not too late, but he needs to join Seguin in the BioSteel program and learn to impose himself a bit more.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobbyOrrAlumni. Show BobbyOrrAlumni's posts

In Response to Re: Cherry asked "Who decided to sit Thornton for that last game? " : Let me get this straight. You're trying to use Cherry as an example of why your opinion is the "sane one"? That's like saying, "see, I was right because the crazy guy said so".
    Posted by dezaruchi

Dez, don't even go there!  Cherry has hockey running through his veins. He has more knowledge of the game in his little pinky fingure than everyone on this board has.

All I read on here is how Thornton did nothing all playoffs. What about Lucic,
    Krejci, and the rest of the guys making 3 and 4 times Thornton's salary?

Be real !  Our 4th line , when properly used, is the BEST 4th line in the League !
    Thornton is a big part of that 4th line.

Our 1st and 2nd lines played horribly throughout the first round and that's why they are golfing now .

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobbyOrrAlumni. Show BobbyOrrAlumni's posts

In Response to Re: Cherry asked "Who decided to sit Thornton for that last game? " : I agree 100%. I say that all the time.  As a matter of fact, I got roasted on this board not long after the Cup when when I noted that as thrilled as I was about the Cup, if a bounce went the wrong way in the Montreal series and they lost (which could easily have happened) TT would be remembered for the weak goals against and not a Conn Smythe, (and likely long traded), Julien would have been applying for unemployment in May instead of hoisting a Cup in June and PC would have been calling his friends at Harvard for a reference letter. None of that is criticism, just pure facts about the tiny sliver of difference in these games sometimes. That said, I agree with the poster who said if this team's difference in winning or losing the first round was Sean Thornton, they aren't as good a team as I thought.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL

Thornton's role is to keep the other team's 'tough guys' on edge. It opens the ice for our taleneted players. Just watch the Vacouver series from game 1 to 7
     and focus on Thornton's impact when he was reinserted into the lineup.

We needed his unnerving energy agaisnt Washington. It could have made a difference. Caron will be a good player but had no impact on game 7. Caron will not stir the pot and create the energy the Brtuins so deperately needed during that last game.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Sorry Bobby...have to respectfully disagree with you on this one. As others have stated, Bergeron's ability to be effective the whole game meant the Bs needed a backup plan. Caron, like him or not, can spot-fill on any of the lines. Plus, he hadn't played and was forced to watch the start of the series from the press box, so it's reasonable to think he'd have a bit more jump and drive than the guys he was playing against.

Don't think of it as sitting Thornton...think about the positives that Caron could have theoretically brought to the end of a long, grinding series and tell us who else should have sat if not Thornton.

And while you may be right that Cherry has lots of hockey knowledge, the reality is his #1 job isn't to be truthful, but to be compelling and interesting. What's interesting about saying everything was fine with a defending champ that lost in the 1st round? He is looking for scape goats, and pointing to the Thornton decision as the reason why the Bs lost is grasping at straws. As everyone knows, it was a failure on many levels, and this one factor is so small in the grand scheme of things.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Look, I think Thornton is a good role player and great clubhouse presence.

I've watched that series a bunch of times and although Thornton played well, it's not like he had so much to do with the outcome. The Bruins' scored 8 goals in game 3 without him (Horton hit). He was good in game 4 but that game was all about the 3rd line. Game 5 was a 1-0 shutout for Luongo, Thornton a non-factor. Game 6, Boston scored 4 goals in the first, Thornton does not really factor. Game 7, Bergeron and Marchand all the way. For the series, Boston scores 23 goals. Thornton does not get a goal or an assist in the 4 games he plays. I'm not saying he didn't give the Bruins some juice in the series, but he was far from being a series changer and if Horton doesn't get injured I can't see CJ even putting him in.

In you saying that the Bruins should have started him in game 7, that is based on nothing but a gut feeling, it is not based in statistics or fact. Of the 5 games he played in the Caps series they lost 3. He did not register a point in the series. To just assume that he magically would have turned game 7 around is nothing more than wishful thinking.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Posted by SoxFanInIL

None of that is fact.  It's all speculation.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In Response to Re: Cherry asked "Who decided to sit Thornton for that last game? " : Caron will have a season where he surprises all and goes from being a plug-in to a regular contributing 20 goal scorer (ala Marchand). I think Seguin will have a breakout year regardless of where he's asked to play. I'm all for changing his position if it means an even better Seguin. Seeing him developing as a player and knowing the Bruins have the best D prospect in the game in Hamilton are just 2 of the reasons that 2013 should be exciting for Bruins fans.
    Posted by dezaruchi

Very optimistic of you Dez. I hope you are right. I guess I have never been really sold on Caron because he doesnt do anything particularily well. He is an average skater and hitter with marginal scoring ability. In fact, he has never been a big scorer at any level; not junior, the AHL, or NHL. This is why I have never expected anything to come of him. I would be absolutely thrilled if he became a decent regular on the bottom 6 and even more ecstatic if he got 20.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Cherry asked "Who decided to sit Thornton for that last game? " : Very optimistic of you Dez. I hope you are right. I guess I have never been really sold on Caron because he doesnt do anything particularily well. He is an average skater and hitter with marginal scoring ability. In fact, he has never been a big scorer at any level; not junior, the AHL, or NHL. This is why I have never expected anything to come of him. I would be absolutely thrilled if he became a decent regular on the bottom 6 and even more ecstatic if he got 20.
    Posted by jmwalters

Like Marchand, he needs the opportunity to play without fear of being benched for any mistakes. He plays too safe of all things. Sometimes you have to take a gamble to create offense and Caron was all about safety first. If he gets some decent ice with some decent linemates then he'll be just fine. He's a solid hitter with a heavy shot. That will work well in a 3rd line role. Trust me on this one.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In Response to Re: Cherry asked "Who decided to sit Thornton for that last game? " : Like Marchand, he needs the opportunity to play without fear of being benched for any mistakes. He plays too safe of all things. Sometimes you have to take a gamble to create offense and Caron was all about safety first. If he gets some decent ice with some decent linemates then he'll be just fine. He's a solid hitter with a heavy shot. That will work well in a 3rd line role. Trust me on this one.
    Posted by dezaruchi

Ok. But I reserve "I told you so" rights if he does not pan out.....lol

BTW: 3 more posts Dez, we are all watching to see if the world ends when you hit the magic number.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Cherry asked "Who decided to sit Thornton for that last game? " : Ok. But I reserve "I told you so" rights if he does not pan out.....lol BTW: 3 more posts Dez, we are all watching to see if the world ends when you hit the magic number.
    Posted by jmwalters

If it doesn't happen when I hit 10K then it'll happen if Kel's pre-season finals picks pan out(Caps-Kings).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In Response to Re: Cherry asked "Who decided to sit Thornton for that last game? " : If it doesn't happen when I hit 10K then it'll happen if Kel's pre-season finals picks pan out(Caps-Kings).
    Posted by dezaruchi

heh..I can't believe he picked those two and that he still may be right. Maybe he is running with the devil?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcvtnEvclGs&feature=fvst

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobbyOrrAlumni. Show BobbyOrrAlumni's posts

Look, I think Thornton is a good role player and great clubhouse presence. I've watched that series a bunch of times and although Thornton played well, it's not like he had so much to do with the outcome. The Bruins' scored 8 goals in game 3 without him (Horton hit). He was good in game 4 but that game was all about the 3rd line. Game 5 was a 1-0 shutout for Luongo, Thornton a non-factor. Game 6, Boston scored 4 goals in the first, Thornton does not really factor. Game 7, Bergeron and Marchand all the way. For the series, Boston scores 23 goals. Thornton does not get a goal or an assist in the 4 games he plays. I'm not saying he didn't give the Bruins some juice in the series, but he was far from being a series changer and if Horton doesn't get injured I can't see CJ even putting him in. In you saying that the Bruins should have started him in game 7, that is based on nothing but a gut feeling, it is not based in statistics or fact. Of the 5 games he played in the Caps series they lost 3. He did not register a point in the series. To just assume that he magically would have turned game 7 around is nothing more than wishful thinking.
    Posted by seobrien

"A team needs that type of player to be successful. Bruins’ fans forget just a season ago they were down 2 games to none in the Stanley Cup Finals and almost everyone credits the insertion of Shawn Thornton into the line up as the turning point of the series that enabled the Bruins to win the Stanley Cup. This is not a comparison to Shawn Thornton, but a fact used to make the point that it’s not always a superstar that makes a difference."

Excerpt from article on Jared Knight !  Enough said !!!!

Sections
Shortcuts