Chiarelli: Extending Seidenberg ‘pretty high’ priority for Bruins

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Chiarelli: Extending Seidenberg ‘pretty high’ priority for Bruins

http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2013/10/02/peter-chiarelli-extending-dennis-seidenberg-pretty-high-priority-for-bruins/

"With defenseman Dennis Seidenberg entering the last season of his contract, Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli said Wednesday that getting a deal done to keep him in Boston is a high priority and that he’s been in contact with agent J.P. Barry.

“It’s pretty high,” Chiarelli said when asked how he’s prioritizing re-signing Seidenberg. “We’ve had discussions and we’ll figure something out there.”

How much ? How long of an extension will it take ?

I think Seidenberg could get $5M per on the open market.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

Re: Chiarelli: Extending Seidenberg ‘pretty high’ priority for Bruins

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2013/10/02/peter-chiarelli-extending-dennis-seidenberg-pretty-high-priority-for-bruins/

"With defenseman Dennis Seidenberg entering the last season of his contract, Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli said Wednesday that getting a deal done to keep him in Boston is a high priority and that he’s been in contact with agent J.P. Barry.

“It’s pretty high,” Chiarelli said when asked how he’s prioritizing re-signing Seidenberg. “We’ve had discussions and we’ll figure something out there.”

Yeah I would guess in the 4-5mil range.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I'm of the opinion that Seidenberg's career crossed it's peak and started to decline slightly last year.  "Slightly" being the key word.  He still has a lot of life left in him

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

I'm of the opinion that Seidenberg's career crossed it's peak and started to decline slightly last year.  "Slightly" being the key word.  He still has a lot of life left in him

While I partially agree, i think if he hits the open market him getting a 4mil per contract isnt out of the question.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

He would easily fetch 4-5 mill a yr on the open market. I hope they extend him but not at a cap crippling amount.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Too important not to sign

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shortpops. Show shortpops's posts

Right on BH about this guy being at his peak. What you see now is as good as what you will see down the road. He is still a very good player and  in all proability will be that for at least the next 2 years,maybe 3 if he takes care.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

He was ignored on his first attempt in free agency in 2009, until Florida gave him a take-it-or leave-it deal. Which turned out well for the Bruins.

This time around, his age may be the tipping point for being ignored. I don't think there is a big money deal out there for him, again.

Not that I want him to leave Boston. We can give a a slight raise and I'm sure he is more than prepared to remain.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

He makes less than Boychuk right now.  That's not going to continue.  On the other hand, he doesn't have much offensive dimension to his game with career highs of 32 points and 7 goals.  That's going to determine the ceiling if you look at his comparables - you won't see him over $5M because every D in that range brings some scoring to the table.  I'm guessing he comes in around $4.25M-$4.5M.  At 33, they can get him for 3 or 4 years at that rate, at which point he may want to retire or he may still be going strong and want to sign an incentive-laden retirement deal with a contender...like the Bruins.

I think we're going to see a lot of teams signing Iginla deals to manage the cap - having the right 35+ players making a low base with a lot of "bonus cushion" incentives that allow you to go over the cap will become a standard component of maximizing the spending power of your cap budget.

Are you not entertained?!?!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

Seids is the second best d-man and PC will take care of it....

CJ needs to cut back on Seids & Z-Man's ice time in order to keep their aging bodies ready for another run.... 

“People think common sense is common - but it's not.”

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

7m over 8.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

7m over 8.  

sounds about right....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

I like him but I agree that his best days are most likely behind him. We have him for the year's run and then the young guys that are more affordable will have to step up. I hope no long term deal for stupid money is coming from PC. One of our better trades in recent history

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

7m over 8. 

Zing!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

He's going to want some years on the deal, no way he wants to bee a free-agent again at 36 or 37. He's going to want something that brings him past that.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from riptide757. Show riptide757's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Excellent and no worry here. Chia gets everything done right.........

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

7m over 8.  

badda-bing

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

easy gets 4/20 on the open market. will probably sign for 4/17.5. 

Sections
Shortcuts