Chiarelli Regime, Bad at Drafting?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

Re: Chiarelli Regime, Bad at Drafting?

In response to BadHabitude's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:
    [QUOTE]

and no offense badhab, but if you don't recognize schools like deerfield, avon, salisbury, andover, the gunnery, canterbury, berkshire, taft, andover, kimball union academy, and kent, I don't think you should be grading players based on their strength of schedule. Those are some high end teams, and I say that hating most of them (looking your way the gunnery)

They beat Avon 4-1 in their only meeting this year, and I think most would agree that over the last decade Avon has been hands down the class of prep school hockey.

[/QUOTE]

You're correct, I really don't know that prep school scene, just the ones nearer to Boston.  The ones I hadn't heard of were Trinity Pawling, Loomis Chafee, millbrook and westminister.

I was under the impression that the super 8 was the best hockey in new england.

So yah, I'm talking out of my backside when it comes to prep schools, but that's beside the point.

I don't believe they are as good as the major juniors which is pro hockey for all real intents and purposes.

Someone drafted should be tearing it up in prep school hockey and for all the articles I've searched for I haven't seen Wiley's name at all.

[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily. Look they clearly drafted this guy based on his tools, nto his current ability. He's a 6'6" d man. I don't mind taking a flyer On him out of prep. Pacioretty had 12 goals in 2 seasons at Taft. hes was drafted in the ushl, he'll probably do a year there and then head to Harvard, let's see what happens when he fills out and heads to college

as for the super 8, ya, they used to be the class of Massachusetts hockey, before junior in us was a real thing. Granted this is just what my family told me, but since I entered the hockey worled they've gotten worse and worse. I get the impression that most of the kids that play super 8 these days talk to prep coaches, and are told that they wouldn't make the team until their senior year, and then play Malden catholic or CM or BC high. There are still a few good players that play super 8 for two years, and then play junior, but they are getting more and more rare. 

prep school has some diamonds in the rough, and given the prospects available in the 5th round and beyond, I have no problem with the bruins drafting some guys with high end tools and lower production. You never know what a 6'6" d man will turn into when he actually learns the position.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I have written for Hockey's Future.  I'm not sure if that information makes them more or less credible.  I'm guessing the later...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

His drafting forced other moves to be made which ended up with the first Cup victory of my life.  I wouldn't go back and change a thing.

But, let's not suggest that his drafting has been any good at all.  The Kessel and Seguin picks would have been made by many GMs.  Hamill and Colbourne would not have.  Colborne was rated lower than Max Sauve for Christsssssssakes!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

Haha okay. The last nhler to make it out of mount st Charles was Jeff jilson who graduated in 1998. He played 140 games. Mount st Charles hasnt produced nhl hockey players for 30 years, they produced them 30 years ago. 

While the gunnery was probably 7th on that list of prep schools, currently they are very relevant, and judging by mount st Charles schedule far more relevant than they've been in 10 years

springfield cathedral smoked mount st Charles 6-2 this year. Springfield cathedral is horrible. Really horrible. Mount st Charles might have been great last century. They're bad now

[/QUOTE]

How many NHLers have come from The Gunnery?

2014-1998 = 30?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Haha okay. The last nhler to make it out of mount st Charles was Jeff jilson who graduated in 1998. He played 140 games. Mount st Charles hasnt produced nhl hockey players for 30 years, they produced them 30 years ago. 

While the gunnery was probably 7th on that list of prep schools, currently they are very relevant, and judging by mount st Charles schedule far more relevant than they've been in 10 years

springfield cathedral smoked mount st Charles 6-2 this year. Springfield cathedral is horrible. Really horrible. Mount st Charles might have been great last century. They're bad now

[/QUOTE]

How many NHLers have come from The Gunnery?

2014-1998 = 30?

[/QUOTE]

I don't know. Could be 0. Doesn't change the fact that they are worlds better than mount st Charles today And have been for a while.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

PS. http://www.kitchenerrangers.com/roster/gamebygame/id/5861/ls_season/current

2014 update

[/QUOTE]

SanDog -

go to that web page you gave me and you see that Dempsey played 8 games

a link right off that page lists the roster

it is this page

http://www.kitchenerrangers.com/roster/index/team/10/season/last

And Dempsey is NOT on the team roster.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

Then your "hard but fair" evaluation on this player is worth a wad of spit.

[/QUOTE]

I say Tyler Toffoli to that.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]

Then your "hard but fair" evaluation on this player is worth a wad of spit.

[/QUOTE]

There are times when box scores really matter.

For example:  when someone keeps claiming that Mitchell Dempsey is currently playing jr. hockey when in fact he is not.

I don't need to see the player NOT PLAYING to form an opinion that NOT PLAYING for his jr. team isn't your typical successful career path to pro hockey.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Dempsey was not done after your reference link. Griping about a prospect drafted after the 4th round was and is the point. 

How are the other 3 prospects, from Mass., doing ?

So Your guess now is that Sweeney and PC will continue to look at prospects in New England. Probably because they can visit with them and advise the player. And anything after the 2nd round is cr@p shoot anyway.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

I don't know. Could be 0. Doesn't change the fact that they are worlds better than mount st Charles today And have been for a while.

[/QUOTE]

We're talking about the NHL draft.  I'm referring to players who are going to play in the NHL.  Mount St. Charles has sent many.  This Bonertown Gunnery has sent none.  I'd say Mount St. Charles in ahead.

Unless we're talking about high school hockey prowess.  If that is the case, please start a different thread on that subject and I'll be sure not to open it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

We're talking about the NHL draft.  I'm referring to players who are going to play in the NHL.  Mount St. Charles has sent many.  This Bonertown Gunnery has sent none.  I'd say Mount St. Charles in ahead.

Unless we're talking about high school hockey prowess.  If that is the case, please start a different thread on that subject and I'll be sure not to open it.

[/QUOTE]

Actually we were talking about high school prowess. The conversation was about elite prep school teams. Right now the gunnery (again, like the 8th team listed in a list including Avon and Salisbury) is a way better team than mount st Charles. So much so that when I played prep I had never i evehe heard of them. How bad? They play a rhode island high school schedule and just do okay. Badhab mentioned them as elite, they aren't. They might have 2-3 players that would make the gunnery. They have like 8 grads that made it to the nhl 15 years ago. More power to them. They're horrible now 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Actually we were talking about Bruins draft picks.

I can't imagine there are too many people here who have followed The Gunnery's season this year.  They've never produced an NHL player.  So who...in a conversation about professional hockey and draft picks...cares. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Wiley Sherman - playing NE prep school hockey and doesn't appear to be doing all that much, I can't find any new information since the last time I looked."

^That is why the converstaion went to New England prep school hockey programs. A post was made to the effect that it was a waste of a pick. So much so that a follow up comment was the Bruins shouldn't pick kids from Massachucetts.

There was plenty of information on the program and where Sherman was going after.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:]

I say Tyler Toffoli to that.

[/QUOTE]

And I say MacFarland and Kabanov to add to that. ECHL time for both of them this year.

Just goes to show you............the (tm) can stink too.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I remember a kid from Gunnery going to St. Lawrence and I believe he was drafted by somebody.  I played in college with two Gunnery kids.  They're good.  They would destroy any public high school in Rhode Island these days.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[/QUOTE]

Since you didn't see the games...............is this one of these times ?

Cehlarik at the World Juniors playing for Slovakia.

http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/schedule/

Evaluation of his play there please.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

NAS - you took a shot at me because I said the gunnery should be a known new england prep school team and mount st charles is irrelevant. you brought the conversation this way. but no, go ahead. change the topic if it suits you. I'll stick to facts. Like this. 

http://hockeyjournal.com/news/prep/poll/Prep_School_Power_Rankings

Yup. The gunnery isn't worth while when discussing the CURRENT prep school scene in regards to whether or not a bruins draftee is playing against the elite prep school competition. seeing as how he played 5 of those top 6 teams. I'd say yeah. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Trick question.  When I go to the world jrs. stats page

http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/statistics/

I see stats for Eric Karlsson and Phil Kessel.  I got a headache trying to fish the stats out of the page you gave me.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

OK, I found them here.

http://stats.iihf.com/Hydra/359/IHM359000_83_51_0_SVK.pdf

4th on the team in points in what looks like a pretty bad team.  Yah, I put his stock up a little bit.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

On the subject of hockey'sfuture.com: when I first started looking at it, I didn't mind it.  I liked the idea that they ranked both the possible ceiling and the likelihood that the player would hit that ceiling.  I liked seeing the ranked list of prospects in each organization based on this scoring, as well as a one-stop shop to see the system behind each NHL organization.  I also liked the org. rankings, though these are much like the weekly Power Rankings that every hockey site seems to do now for fantasy players.  For example, the last version they did had the Bruins at 18th in terms of prospect pool, and that ranking didn't list either Bartkowski or Smith in the top 5 prospects in the organization.  Or Krug.  Considering they still have Hamilton as the #1 prospect, all of those guys would have been in play.  If Subban, Spooner, Khokhlachev and Morrow are better than those three guys have been this year, the Bruins have an outstanding talent pool.

What soured me on the site was the lack of consistency between writers covering the different teams.  The Bruins guy'll give, say, Florek a 6.0 D meaning that he's highly unlikely to ever make it to 3rd-4th line duty in the NHL...but if Florek was a Stars prospect, that guy would look at Florek and say he's a 7.0 C meaning he might some day be as good as a 2nd liner, and it just needs things to break right.  You do that for 20+ players and one system is ranked 20 points higher than the other even if they have identical players.

It's interesting but not exactly authoritative is my take. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:[QUOTE]

If Subban, Spooner, Khokhlachev and Morrow are better than those three guys have been this year, the Bruins have an outstanding talent pool.

What soured me on the site was the lack of consistency between writers covering the different teams. It's interesting but not exactly authoritative is my take. [/QUOTE]

http://bruins.nhl.com/club/newsindex.htm?location=%2Fprospectreport

@MarkDivver

"Hearing unofficially that Florek, Cunningham, Koko, Lindblad will be recalled by Boston for NJ game on Sun."

"Svedberg starts for @AHLBruins tonight. With a win, PBs hit 90 pts. and 40 wins for 10th time in 22-year franchise history"

Two places too go when I look for good opinions on Bruins prospects. And I don't always agree with their opinions. But a lot better than other sources.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

NAS - you took a shot at me because I said the gunnery should be a known new england prep school team and mount st charles is irrelevant. you brought the conversation this way. but no, go ahead. change the topic if it suits you. I'll stick to facts. Like this. 

Yup. The gunnery isn't worth while when discussing the CURRENT prep school scene in regards to whether or not a bruins draftee is playing against the elite prep school competition. seeing as how he played 5 of those top 6 teams. I'd say yeah. 

[/QUOTE]

Prep School Power Rankings.  LOL

Okay.

I care about schools that send players to the NHL.  If School A sends guys and School B doesn't, I don't care about what High School Hockey Writer thinks.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Prep School Power Rankings.  LOL

Okay.

I care about schools that send players to the NHL.  If School A sends guys and School B doesn't, I don't care about what High School Hockey Writer thinks.

[/QUOTE]

Okay then screw the rankings. The gunnery was in the championship game and lost to salisbury. you came after me insinuating that the gunnery was less relevant than mount st Charles in the New England prep school hockey world. I'm not even sure mount st Charles is considered New England prep anymore, and the gunnery played in the championship game last year. They were the second best team in prep last year. You are wrong, and have a lack of knowledge in this field. That's fine, prep isn't that big of a deal, but don't come after me and try to make me look like an idiot if you don't know what you're talking about, that's rustys move

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

Okay then screw the rankings. The gunnery was in the championship game and lost to salisbury. you came after me insinuating that the gunnery was less relevant than mount st Charles in the New England prep school hockey world. I'm not even sure mount st Charles is considered New England prep anymore, and the gunnery played in the championship game last year. They were the second best team in prep last year. You are wrong, and have a lack of knowledge in this field. That's fine, prep isn't that big of a deal, but don't come after me and try to make me look like an idiot if you don't know what you're talking about, that's rustys move

[/QUOTE]

I have never claimed to know anything about most of the schools.  I know the ones who send players to the NHL.  The rest don't matter to me.  They're a bunch of kids playing a game.  If you want to spend your time studying kids playing games, good luck to you.  Not my style.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

[QUOTE]

They don't play a new england prep schedule, and this year it looks like every team they played was in Rhode Island. Do they play a northwood like junior schedule too?

Bhab doesn't recognize The Gunnery, so he's in the dark.  How many NHLers have come from that school?

[/QUOTE]

You posted this to try to make me look stupid. It came up because of a discussion of the elite prep school teams and whether or not hotchkiss plays them. Mount St Charles was used as an example of the elite prep school teams, and because they're horrible, i countered with a list of the actual elite teams. I wasn't being a dink, I wasn't bashing anyone, I was just making a correction. Yes, you're in the dark if you think Mount St Charles is worthy of discussion when it comes to producing NHL prospects right now. The gunnery played in the prep championship game and Mount played a RI high school schedule. It's like saying the Islanders are more likely to produce a cup winner than the Bruins because they had that run in the 80's. You made an ignorant comment with no knowledge of what you were saying trying to make another poster look bad and then just say "oh i don't care about prep," when corrected. That's weak. That's rusty like.