Chiarelli Regime, Bad at Drafting?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Re: Chiarelli Regime, Bad at Drafting?

I'm curious to see the Bruins new "Regime" and what they can do.  We'll have to wait another 5 years

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"Wiley Sherman - playing NE prep school hockey and doesn't appear to be doing all that much, I can't find any new information since the last time I looked."

^That is why the converstaion went to New England prep school hockey programs. A post was made to the effect that it was a waste of a pick. So much so that a follow up comment was the Bruins shouldn't pick kids from Massachucetts.

There was plenty of information on the program and where Sherman was going after.

[/QUOTE]

I would not necessarily say to NEVER pick Massachusetts/New England kids, however I wouldn't necessarily pick them which seems to be the case now.

Wiley Sherman judging by what the scouts say is a project type of player.  I don't like "project" picks.  

Let me clarify.

Well, wait, there are "project" picks like Koko and then there are "total project" picks like Denis Reul.  I think Wiley Sherman is one of those "total project" picks.  So I'll say I don't like "total project" picks.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"Wiley Sherman - playing NE prep school hockey and doesn't appear to be doing all that much, I can't find any new information since the last time I looked."

^That is why the converstaion went to New England prep school hockey programs. A post was made to the effect that it was a waste of a pick. So much so that a follow up comment was the Bruins shouldn't pick kids from Massachucetts.

There was plenty of information on the program and where Sherman was going after.

[/QUOTE]

I would not necessarily say to NEVER pick Massachusetts/New England kids, however I wouldn't necessarily pick them which seems to be the case now.

Wiley Sherman judging by what the scouts say is a project type of player.  I don't like "project" picks.  

Let me clarify.

Well, wait, there are "project" picks like Koko and then there are "total project" picks like Denis Reul.  I think Wiley Sherman is one of those "total project" picks.  So I'll say I don't like "total project" picks.

[/QUOTE]

But beyond the fifth round why not take a total project? Im sure datsyuk and zetterberg were viewed as total projects when they were picked. I'd rather swing for the fences and have maybe 1 out of 25 picks in that range turn into something special than play it safe and have 1 out of 7 turn into a fringe nhler

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In a sense draft picks, outside the top ten, really are "projects". Also speaking to local college and high school coaches, PC and Sweeney, you can get info on their character.

I like reading about local kids like Warsofsky, Fitzgerald and Grzelcyk doing well.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:
    [QUOTE]

But beyond the fifth round why not take a total project? Im sure datsyuk and zetterberg were viewed as total projects when they were picked. I'd rather swing for the fences and have maybe 1 out of 25 picks in that range turn into something special than play it safe and have 1 out of 7 turn into a fringe nhler

[/QUOTE]

Not Datsyuk, looking back at his stats he was productive with Spartak and Dynamo when he was a child.

Zetterberg had 46 pts in 47 games in his first year in the SEL, he was a child then as well.

I haven't seen Wiley Sherman play, well, actually I have at rookie camp, but I can't remember him at all.  By "total project" I mean a guy who has a major flaw - like Reul who couldn't skate, (but had size).

Not like Yannnick Riendeau who had first class stick battle skills and nothing else, there is potential there.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Picking at the bottom of each round for 5 years and then having your top lines all set with guys approaching their primes isn't a recipe for drafting success by any metric.

Thankfully, the Bruins also have great scouting at the AHL level, and lots of their players have come through trades that way (Bartkowski, McQuaid, Boychuk, Smith, etc.). The roster is very well rounded out right now.

Draft picks - Bergeron, Krejci, Lucic, Marchand, Caron, Hamilton

AHL/other trades - Boychuk, McQuaid, Bartkowski, Smith (he barely had playing time at the NHL level, so I'll attribute that to minor scouting), Soderberg, Rask

NHL trades - Seidenberg, Eriksson, Campbell, Paille, Kelly

Free agents - Iginla, Chara, Thornton, Johnson

UDFA - Miller, Krug, Svedberg

The NHL draft is a crap-chute (compared to, say, football), especially after the first few picks in most years. The Hamill and Colbourne picks were killers, but they've bailed themselves out of their mediocre drafting by making good trades and maintaining their core. 

Know who has done quite well at drafting, but not anywhere else is George McPhee of the Caps. He (and his staff) have had a knack for identifying amateur talent (Semin, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Johansson, Alzner, Carlson, Varlamov, Holtby, Perrault, Schultz, Green....all draft picks since 2002) but have just failed miserably at moving and supplementing the right pieces. Had they been able to make the moves that PC and Neely make on minor leaguers and other trades for draft picks, they'd be killing it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to TheGuyWithDaThing's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Picking at the bottom of each round for 5 years and then having your top lines all set with guys approaching their primes isn't a recipe for drafting success by any metric.

Thankfully, the Bruins also have great scouting at the AHL level, and lots of their players have come through trades that way (Bartkowski, McQuaid, Boychuk, Smith, etc.). The roster is very well rounded out right now.

Draft picks - Bergeron, Krejci, Lucic, Marchand, Caron, Hamilton

AHL/other trades - Boychuk, McQuaid, Bartkowski, Smith (he barely had playing time at the NHL level, so I'll attribute that to minor scouting), Soderberg, Rask

NHL trades - Seidenberg, Eriksson, Campbell, Paille, Kelly

Free agents - Iginla, Chara, Thornton, Johnson

UDFA - Miller, Krug, Svedberg

The NHL draft is a crap-chute (compared to, say, football), especially after the first few picks in most years. The Hamill and Colbourne picks were killers, but they've bailed themselves out of their mediocre drafting by making good trades and maintaining their core. 

Know who has done quite well at drafting, but not anywhere else is George McPhee of the Caps. He (and his staff) have had a knack for identifying amateur talent (Semin, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Johansson, Alzner, Carlson, Varlamov, Holtby, Perrault, Schultz, Green....all draft picks since 2002) but have just failed miserably at moving and supplementing the right pieces. Had they been able to make the moves that PC and Neely make on minor leaguers and other trades for draft picks, they'd be killing it.

[/QUOTE]

And conversely, if the Bruins could find that magic formula that could pull some bona fide NHL players out of the later rounds - how much better would they be in years to come?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not Datsyuk, looking back at his stats he was productive with Spartak and Dynamo when he was a child.

Zetterberg had 46 pts in 47 games in his first year in the SEL, he was a child then as well.

I haven't seen Wiley Sherman play, well, actually I have at rookie camp, but I can't remember him at all.  By "total project" I mean a guy who has a major flaw - like Reul who couldn't skate, (but had size).

Not like Yannnick Riendeau who had first class stick battle skills and nothing else, there is potential there.

[/QUOTE]

I'm sure datsyuk and zetterberg had some major flaw that kept other teams away. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]

I'm sure datsyuk and zetterberg had some major flaw that kept other teams away. 

[/QUOTE]

In Zetterberg's draft Patrik Stefan went #1, then the twins.

So I don't think it was a flaw in his game, I think the scouts were distracted by players who they thought would be better.

That draft was all over the place, Ryan Miller was drafted in the 5th round, check it out

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl1999e.html

Sections
Shortcuts