Chiarelli said He Couldn't Replace Savard's Talent For the $$$

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dogwhacker. Show dogwhacker's posts

Chiarelli said He Couldn't Replace Savard's Talent For the $$$

And boy was he right.

Chia got a clean slate with relief from Savard's contract on the Cap, and proceeded to try to replace the lost Talent while addressing other needs (i.e. puck moving Defenseman).

After all the maneuvering and shuffling....here's what essentially happened.

The Bruins "replaced'   Savard, Stuart, and Wheeler....
    with

Kaberle, Kelly, and Peverle...

Now you gotta cut slack for being forced into the situation by the Savard injury...BUT..its hard to make the case the Bruins are a better team...its hard to make the case they are AS GOOD  a team.

The Bruins are
    1.) Substantially weaker Offensively after this shuffle

2.) I would say somewhat less stable on the Blue Line  (Stuart a solid stay at home while Kaberle is not as good defensively.

3.) Substantially weaker on the Power Play  (better movement at the Point nowhere near offsets the overall movement that Savard brought to the PP).

4.) They did get their Puck Mover in Kaberle so that filled a definite void from the recent era.

5.) They upgraded their team character IMO with Kelly..also upgraded their woeful lack of speed with Peverle.  I think Chia did use the cap relief to fill in some needed upgrades

Bottom line..this is one of 10 teams (5 in each conference) that have a SHOT at the Cup.  But thats no big deal.   Reality is Vancouver, Detroit, Philadelphia, and Pittsburgh (WITH Crosby) are the REAL contenders--recent streaks notwithstanding.    To WIN it and survive the grueling 4 series you need attitude AND talent.   1 or the other gets you through the regular season....but you need BOTH to go the distance in the NHL. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

Re: Chiarelli said He Couldn't Replace Savard's Talent For the $$$

whats the point of this thread? is it to bash PC? i don't really get it

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Just because you have the need and the room (cap/roster) to replace a player, it doesn't mean it's possible or even feesible.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Savard got injured , not traded therefore your whole basis on comparing one player in and one player out just doesn't jive.
    If Savard was healthy and the Bruins made other moves to get Kaberle (it was destined anyhow) then you can say ; X player , Wheeler , Stuart out and in with Kaberle, Kelly , Peverly .
    Injuries are injuries, look at the Hab and they are still motoring.

p.s. X player could have been sent to AHL to clear space.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Chiarelli said He Couldn't Replace Savard's Talent For the $$$:
    [QUOTE]lets be honest has the g.m. ever made a trade that has made the team better?
    Posted by pissttt[/QUOTE]

Matt Hendricks for Johnny Boychuk was pretty good.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

In Response to Re: Chiarelli said He Couldn't Replace Savard's Talent For the $$$:
    [QUOTE]lets be honest has the g.m. ever made a trade that has made the team better?

yes

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

[QUOTE]WHY? can,t this g.m take this team to the next level???? is it the players?  or the coach?  or the owner?  for me chia. can,t connect the dots like the good g.m.s can!

i forgot he should have traded 18 first round picks for ovechkin and crosby, and bribed someone to let him go over the cap

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]no need to get nasty.  but i understand the truth the does hurt!  the man,s been over his head since day one it just goes to show a harvard eduction just is not what is used to be......

Let's see how far they get in the playoffs this year, then revisit this. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"The Bruins are 1.) Substantially weaker Offensively after this shuffle"

By subtracting  Stuart, and Wheeler ? Offensively the Bruins are stronger without Stuart and Wheeler because of the speed and puck movement Kaberle, Kelly, and Peverley bring. Hamill and Seguin were auditioned for as 3rd line centers but are not ready for a playoff run next year Tyler will be ready defensively for center duties that is why Kelley was traded for. Kelly's speed and takeaway center defensive abilities with his faceoff wins (in the playoffs really important) make him better than the alternatives plus he has a moveable contract if Caron, Sauve or Arniel pass him on the depth chart this October heck you can throw in Spooner and Knight.

You must speak of Chiarelli's moves for McQuaid and Kampfer which enabled PC to save money plus jettison Stuart and Hunwick. With those moves Chiarelli showed his skill in getting tougher and faster on the blueline with his scouting hires who plucked Adam and Kampfer form minor league obscurity. Adam is becoming a great shot blocker by the way.

The other side is Why doesn't PC get Gaborik type snipers ? Well when you commit that much money too one guy 7Mil you suffer when you need slick, speedy, defensive faceoff winning centers like Kelly because you can't afford him with the commitment of cap money to the high priced sniper. That is why the NHL cap is harder to manage than the NFL and NBA cap ceiling isn't as high.

Ask Tortorelli what he thinks when Gaborik misses all those games for that salary ? Ask Joe Nieuwendyk what he thinks when he can't make any moves when his 8Mil a year Brad Richards is out with an injury ? Dallas is now out of the playoffs because they couldn't make any moves.

You can't always have the depth you need for the playoffs with that high priced talent out of the lineup. Stuart, Wheeler and Hunwick were jettisoned because they didn't provide depth and the Chiarelli shrewd pickup moves of Boychuk, McQuaid, Kelly and Peverley made those players expendable and the Bruins deeper.

If Ference, Boychuk, Kelly and Peverley under perform in the playoffs they have moveable contracts where as 6-8Mil contracts are not. Chiarelli can bring in the high priced ticket this summer if he so chooses to go that way.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]no need to get nasty.  but i understand the truth the does hurt!  the man,s been over his head since day one it just goes to show a harvard eduction just is not what is used to be......

He made some bad moves, they came early.
    Without Wideman this team is better.
    Without Wheeler this team is better.

Anybody miss Byron Bitz?  Who did we get for him?  Seids and Bartkowski?  Where is Byron Bitz anyway?  I don't think he's playing anymore.

Your expectation level is not reasonable.  It isn't possible to make ONE move to take your team to the next level, it takes time.  It takes more than one season.  The higher the level the harder it is.

PC was at the wheel when this team went from 1 and done to 2 and done.  You can complain and hate and berate all you want to about 2 and done, but it is better than 1 and done.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dogwhacker. Show dogwhacker's posts

[QUOTE]"The Bruins are 1.) Substantially weaker Offensively after this shuffle" By subtracting  Stuart, and Wheeler ? />>>>>>>

this is the last time i'm posting here because you obviously have to be a 1.) chearleader  2.) basher...or 3.) nutcase.

the Bruins REPLACED savard, stuart/wheeler essentially with kaberle/peverle/kelly BECAUSE THETY WERE GIVEN 100% DOLLAR FOR DOLLAR CAP RELIEF from Savard....so excluding Savard from the equation is stupid.

I didn't even mention the additional considerations including a desirable DRAFT PICK the Bs had to throw in to make defact "Savard/Stuart/Wheeler" roster spots in return for "Kaberle/Peverle/Kelly" roster spots.

All I said was CHIARELLI said he'd never be able TO DO A COMPARABLE TALENT SWAP--and BOY WAS HE RIGHT.  I AGREE WITH CHIARELLI...!!!!

jeez....this place is filled with Montreal MORONS and the most moronic North Shore idiots who give hockey such an unwarranted bad name around this parts.
    What a crowd

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Chiarelli said He Couldn't Replace Savard's Talent For the $$$ : [QUOTE]"The Bruins are 1.) Substantially weaker Offensively after this shuffle" By subtracting  Stuart, and Wheeler ? /> />>>>>> this is the last time i'm posting here because you obviously have to be a 1.) chearleader  2.) basher...or 3.) nutcase. the Bruins REPLACED savard, stuart/wheeler essentially with kaberle/peverle/kelly BECAUSE THETY WERE GIVEN 100% DOLLAR FOR DOLLAR CAP RELIEF from Savard....so excluding Savard from the equation is stupid. I didn't even mention the additional considerations including a desirable DRAFT PICK the Bs had to throw in to make defact "Savard/Stuart/Wheeler" roster spots in return for "Kaberle/Peverle/Kelly" roster spots. All I said was CHIARELLI said he'd never be able TO DO A COMPARABLE TALENT SWAP--and BOY WAS HE RIGHT.  I AGREE WITH CHIARELLI...!!!! jeez....this place is filled with Montreal MORONS and the most moronic North Shore idiots who give hockey such an unwarranted bad name around this parts. What a crowd
    Posted by dogwhacker[/QUOTE]

so whats your point man? that injuries are unfortunate? YES YOU ARE RIGHT

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Chiarelli said He Couldn't Replace Savard's Talent For the $$$ : Matt Hendricks for Johnny Boychuk was pretty good.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Now thats something to get excited about.  How about versteeg for brandon b?  Maybe boyes for wides?  Or a 2nd rounder for chris kelly.  Great moves.  Starting to think PC likes muckers as much as clod does.

Full disclosure, Kessel deal worked out very well if we draft right, and recchi deal was very good if for nothing else that those guys we gave up stink.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Just think, if you went to Harvard you might know the difference between a comma and an apostrophe or maybe have a guess how to use a period.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

By the way, did anyone see a Marc Savard-level offensive talent available to the B's since MS went down?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

I agree, PC is wearing out his welcome in my eyes too.