Chiarelli's Track Record

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Chiarelli's Track Record

I know that there are tons of factors that go into a trade, not to mention the bad trades that GMs like to forget, but a quick glance at how Chiarelli acquired this current Bruins roster shows some pretty impressive stuff. Your thoughts?

Trades

·         Campbell and Horton for Dennis Wideman and first round pick in 2010 and third round pick in 2011

·         Kelly for a second round pick in 2011

·         Peverly (and Valabik) for Mark Stewart and Blake Wheeler
    Kaberle for Colborne, first round pick in 2011 and conditional second round pick in 2012

·         Paille for third round pick and conditional fourth round pick in 2010

·         Seidenberg (and Bartkowski) for Byron Bitz, Craig Weller and second round pick in 2010

·         Recchi for Matt Lashoff and Martins Karsums

·         Rask for Andrew Raycroft

·         Boychuck for Matt Hendricks

·         McQuaid for a fifth round pick in 2007

·         Ference (and Kobasew at the time) for Brad Stewart, Wayne Primeau and a fourth round pick in 2008

Free Agent Signings
    Chara, Thornton, Ryder

Drafted

Lucic, Marchand, Krejci, Seguin

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

Re: Chiarelli's Track Record

asmaha...you're preaching to the choir here, i started the "thanks pc" thread last week. this is not a team full of rentals, good for one year, back to the drawing board the next. this team should be good for quite a few years to come! recchi and thomas are the only aged veterans. it's a great time to be a bruins fan. let's enjoy it, this ship is headed in the right direction. the scary thing is, they can be better- watch out!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Seidenberg (and Bartkowski) for Byron Bitz, Craig Weller and second round pick in 2010

·         Recchi for Matt Lashoff and Martins Karsums

·         Rask for Andrew Raycroft

·         Boychuck for Matt Hendricks

·         McQuaid for a fifth round pick in 2007

Those are all STEALS

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

I've been a Chiarelli fan from early on, even, at the time, for Claude Julien to replace Dave lewis who was a bigger mistake than Versteeg for bochenski. His salary extensions for Ference and Thomas have been roundly criticized, but both are making PC look great. This is a solid team, and I really hope Recchi retires; PC allows Slyder to go elsewhere; There are moments when Kaberle shows his skills, but not often enough to keep him with a new deal; and IMO Claude has surpassed his value, created a solid defensive mind-set, but has nothing to offer on offense, particularly the PP. Claude may still stay, for another year, but his staff needs rejuvenation as both Ward and Houda are nothing more than yes-men. Also, before I forget, is it possible to have Thornton restricted to off-ice PR. Certainly, this team is playing much better than when he occupies a forward's slot.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

In Response to Re: Chiarelli's Track Record:
    [QUOTE]I don't think he drafted Kreicji. That was MOC. His trades have been his best moves.  If he can sign Kaberle and get a return on him, he may be out of the woods on that gamble. His worst trade was Bochenski for Versteeg. Overall, I agree he's been very good in the trade dept and solid in the drafting department. 
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

I thought that Krejci draft was when he was unofficially signed but the Bs had that interim GM. Wish I could remember his name. Talk was that Chiarelli was pulling the strings on things like the draft, signing Lewis (ugh) and whatnot. I may be wrong.

The Versteeg trade will always be a downer. As for Kaberle, I'd still make that trade any day and twice on Sundays. We all thought it would be an improvement. The price was high, but I agree we'll have to wait and see if it a) results in a Cup and b) what happens during the off-season. Boston would be struggling even more with Hnidy back there, and Kampfer hasn't been ready until recently and I'm not convinced another defensive rookie is a good idea. I'll still take Kabs at $2 - $2.5 and slot him on the third pairing. He can only get better.

But I didn't want to rehash the Kaberle thing...just more of a realization that Chiarelli has done a really good job positioning this team for long-term and short-term success under a tight salary cap. I particularly like the way he spent over the cap in the off-season to bring in options, then let injuries and play dictate how to shed that salary as the season went on. It was unconventional and many considered it cap mismanagement, but I thought the opposite., Why not give yourself options and the flexibility to let these things shake out? Good stuff PC....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

I believe we got a second in the Recchi deal

Also a washed up Kobasew for a Second.

I think there are still a few more we are missing as well.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

[QUOTE]I believe we got a second in the Recchi deal Also a washed up Kobasew for a Second. I think there are still a few more we are missing as well.
    Posted by RickyHussle[/QUOTE]

Yup...there are tons of other moves to consider. Hunwick, Satan, Fernandez, Sturm, Kobasew, Begin, etc all could be discussed. I was just going through the current lineup from this playoff run to see how those players were acquired under PC's time.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

[QUOTE]I've been a Chiarelli fan from early on, even, at the time, for Claude Julien to replace Dave lewis who was a bigger mistake than Versteeg for bochenski. His salary extensions for Ference and Thomas have been roundly criticized, but both are making PC look great. This is a solid team, and I really hope Recchi retires; PC allows Slyder to go elsewhere; There are moments when Kaberle shows his skills, but not often enough to keep him with a new deal; and IMO Claude has surpassed his value, created a solid defensive mind-set, but has nothing to offer on offense, particularly the PP. Claude may still stay, for another year, but his staff needs rejuvenation as both Ward and Houda are nothing more than yes-men. Also, before I forget, is it possible to have Thornton restricted to off-ice PR. Certainly, this team is playing much better than when he occupies a forward's slot.
    Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]

this opinion is a popular one that i don't understand.  the b's had 16 fewer goals than vancouver (who were ranked 1st in goals for).  they were the best 5 on 5 team in the league and were 2nd in goal diff. in the league.  there is nothing wrong with cj's system.  the problem is obviously the pp.  if they would've hired an assistant that could've gotten the pp going, they would've easily score 16 more goals this season and would've been ranked 1st in offense and defense.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Rask for Raycroft was done before PC arrived by Jeff Gorton.

Kudos to Peter, whose father is from Calabria.
    So, Peter is Calabrese, and he mambos like crazy!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Siedenberg was widely viewed by most of the NHL media as a journeyman and was given too much money but his trade and then resigning was worth it he's probably underpaid at this point Thank you Dale Tallon for throwing in Matt Bartkowski as well!

Stanley Cup finalist with a top ten pick this upcoming draft, a very high 2nd rounder via Kobasew as well and only one free agent to resign which is an RFA Marchand. PC can walk away from the other 3 UFAs if he wants to and not hurt the team as they are set up perfectly for a long time as Book has said "a Cool Cap Management".

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

How about the Kessel trade?  Thats how we GOT Seguin.  Kessel for Seguin straight up is a great trade in and of itself, so its almost like we got Kaberle for free, no?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

[QUOTE]Siedenberg was widely viewed by most of the NHL media as a journeyman and was given too much money but his trade and then resigning was worth it he's probably underpaid at this point Thank you Dale Tallon for throwing in Matt Bartkowski as well! Stanley Cup finalist with a top ten pick this upcoming draft, a very high 2nd rounder via Kobasew as well and only one free agent to resign which is an RFA Marchand. PC can walk away from the other 3 UFAs if he wants to and not hurt the team as they are set up perfectly for a long time as Book has said "a Cool Cap Management".
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Sorry, San, but that trade was pre-Tallon. I believe, Randy Sexton was GM at the time. Sexton's son is a draft pick of the Bruins in 2009.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbg1. Show dbg1's posts

I will admit that between the end of last season and the middle of this season I was anti PC/CJ.  However, then it dawned on me and I realized what a short memory we all have...where was this team before PC and CJ? 

In the time that they have been here; we have amassed some great talent all centered around CJ's "system."  We have now been to the playoffs 4 years in a row and are just 1 game away from playing for the cup. 

Sure they are frustrating...but all in all, good job guys and thanks for bringing back winning hockey to Boston.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattymcgee55. Show mattymcgee55's posts

Im a big PC fan and agree that he's done well and turned things around quickly here. One bad trade was Aaron Ward to Carolina for Patrick Eaves. Strictly a business deal and we bought out Eaves immediately but he couldve helped. I didnt notice if you had the Kampfer trade, you probably did.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]  Seidenberg (and Bartkowski) for Byron Bitz, Craig Weller and second round pick in 2010 ·          Recchi for Matt Lashoff and Martins Karsums ·          Rask for Andrew Raycroft ·          Boychuck for Matt Hendricks ·          McQuaid for a fifth round pick in 2007   Those are all STEALS
    Posted by I-Like-Hockey[/QUOTE]

All good. That 5th rounder for McQuaid turned out to be a pretty good one.  I just can't recall his name.  Although whomever they picked has nothing to do with it being a great trade.  5th rounders is like picking names out of a hat.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

Short of getting back two high first rounders the Kaberle trade is the worst one.

[QUOTE]I don't think he drafted Kreicji. That was MOC. His trades have been his best moves.  If he can sign Kaberle and get a return on him, he may be out of the woods on that gamble. His worst trade was Bochenski for Versteeg. Overall, I agree he's been very good in the trade dept and solid in the drafting department. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homebrew76. Show Homebrew76's posts

The Kaberle trade was the worst of the bunch, but that's what happens when you are perceived as the buyer and the other team is the seller.   You have to pretty much pay what the seller is asking.

Were any of the other trades done in the same context at the Kaberle trade?  That is, the one piece that would conceivably put the Bruins over the top as cup favorites?   That 'over the top' factor is why we paid so much and Burke did a good job taking advantage of it.  In hindsight, Kaberle has helped us, but he isn't one of our top two D-men, so we did overpay.   Without him though you would have to make up 20 min a night on the blueline elsewhere, and where would we have gotten the depth?

If we win the cup, then any and all trades leading up to that cup will have been worth it, even if Kaberle walks back to Toronot and him and Kessel lead the Leafs to a cup (HA HA HA!).   Just getting to the finals and having a team strong enough to be considered a front runner again next year would probably also make it worth it in my books.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobbyOrrAlumni. Show BobbyOrrAlumni's posts

[QUOTE]asmaha...you're preaching to the choir here, i started the "thanks pc" thread last week. this is not a team full of rentals, good for one year, back to the drawing board the next. this team should be good for quite a few years to come! recchi and thomas are the only aged veterans. it's a great time to be a bruins fan. let's enjoy it, this ship is headed in the right direction. the scary thing is, they can be better- watch out!
    Posted by adkbeesfan[/QUOTE]

This Post is clearer in thought than yours...so we ignored your post for the most part and are rspondign to this one.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobbyOrrAlumni. Show BobbyOrrAlumni's posts

[QUOTE]I've been a Chiarelli fan from early on, even, at the time, for Claude Julien to replace Dave lewis who was a bigger mistake than Versteeg for bochenski. His salary extensions for Ference and Thomas have been roundly criticized, but both are making PC look great. This is a solid team, and I really hope Recchi retires; PC allows Slyder to go elsewhere; There are moments when Kaberle shows his skills, but not often enough to keep him with a new deal; and IMO Claude has surpassed his value, created a solid defensive mind-set, but has nothing to offer on offense, particularly the PP. Claude may still stay, for another year, but his staff needs rejuvenation as both Ward and Houda are nothing more than yes-men. Also, before I forget, is it possible to have Thornton restricted to off-ice PR. Certainly, this team is playing much better than when he occupies a forward's slot.
    Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]

I agree with you right up to the Thornton stetament ! Thornton in the lineup makes everyone play bigger and more aggressive. Thronton's energy is sorely missed on that 4th line.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Chiarelli's Track Record : Who cares?

A King who doesn't care about his subjects: you need to be dethroned.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bleedinblackandgold. Show Bleedinblackandgold's posts

Chiarelli is a better GM than anyone around here seems to want to admit.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Chiarelli's Track Record : I agree with you right up to the Thornton stetament ! Thornton in the lineup makes everyone play bigger and more aggressive. Thronton's energy is sorely missed on that 4th line.
    Posted by BobbyOrrAlumni[/QUOTE]

Stop following Thorton's every move and watch the game...you'll learn something!

Sections
Shortcuts