Chicago vs. Detroit

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Chicago vs. Detroit

Chicago blows their doors off, 7-1.

Detroit doesn't record a single penalty minute.

In the "old days", there would have been blood covering the ice.

While I hate the staged fights, it's sad to see a slaughter like this doesn't even garner a roughing call.

Also, Brandon Saad got the second goal for Chicago at 3:21 of the first period.  He is credited with the GWG.  What a bogus stat.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: Chicago vs. Detroit

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

While I hate the staged fights, it's sad to see a slaughter like this doesn't even garner a roughing call.

Also, Brandon Saad got the second goal for Chicago at 3:21 of the first period.  He is credited with the GWG.  What a bogus stat.

Any word regarding why Zetterberg was a scratch? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from originalcallodthedom. Show originalcallodthedom's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

Day to day with a groin injury

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

Maybe he has a crystal ball and was protecting his +/-!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

What was Babcock or the Wings really going to do? Their roster is as pugilistically passive as it gets in the NHL. 

Tootoo can't fight them all...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

Detroit's days of the Bruise brothers, Probert and Kocur, seem like a lifetime ago. Those two took punched first, asked questions later. Made blowouts watchable.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

What was Babcock or the Wings really going to do? Their roster is as pugilistically passive as it gets in the NHL. 

Tootoo can't fight them all...

Nope, but he could have fought someone!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

Detroit is new "softest" team in the NHL taking over the Oilers. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Detroit has gotten a pass on being soft for a long time, because they know who they are and there is no act involved.  They concentrate on hockey and they usually win (until this year).  I kind of like it because its an honest approach, unlike the Montreal and Vancouver routine of acting tough  by being a pest, trash talking, picking spots, etc.  The Alex Burrows and PK Subbans of the world want to act tough but never back it up and rely on the officials to bail them out, time and time again.  I kind of like that Detroit actually takes the high road.  That said, it would be no fun being a Detroit fan and watch them get blown out without any fight in em.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I miss the days of the bruise brothers.  Kocur-Probert would have been brawling.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

I miss the days of the bruise brothers.  Kocur-Probert would have been brawling.  

If Darren McCarty were still a Wing today I'd imagine he would've fought with someone, shupe.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

If Darren McCarty were still a Wing today I'd imagine he would've fought with someone, shupe.

Yeah he would have.  But those 80s wing battles with chicago and toronto were fun to watch with those two.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

Detroit has gotten a pass on being soft for a long time, because they know who they are and there is no act involved.  They concentrate on hockey and they usually win (until this year).  I kind of like it because its an honest approach, unlike the Montreal and Vancouver routine of acting tough  by being a pest, trash talking, picking spots, etc.  The Alex Burrows and PK Subbans of the world want to act tough but never back it up and rely on the officials to bail them out, time and time again.  I kind of like that Detroit actually takes the high road.  That said, it would be no fun being a Detroit fan and watch them get blown out without any fight in em.

Fletch, I heard Ken Holland on THE FAN 590 last year being asked why his Wings didn't have a tough guy on the roster.  He said that question was asked of him regularly but answered he resisted the enforcer idea opting for team toughness instead coupled with loading the Red Wings with as much skill as he could.  Intimidate with skill.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Yeah he would have.  But those 80s wing battles with chicago and toronto were fun to watch with those two.  

They were.  I still remember Wendel Clark saying he and Kocur would never fight each other because they were cousins. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Detroit has gotten a pass on being soft for a long time, because they know who they are and there is no act involved.  They concentrate on hockey and they usually win (until this year).  I kind of like it because its an honest approach, unlike the Montreal and Vancouver routine of acting tough  by being a pest, trash talking, picking spots, etc.  The Alex Burrows and PK Subbans of the world want to act tough but never back it up and rely on the officials to bail them out, time and time again.  I kind of like that Detroit actually takes the high road.  That said, it would be no fun being a Detroit fan and watch them get blown out without any fight in em.

Fletch, I heard Ken Holland on THE FAN 590 last year being asked why his Wings didn't have a tough guy on the roster.  He said that question was asked of him regularly but answered he resisted the enforcer idea opting for team toughness instead coupled with loading the Red Wings with as much skill as he could.  Intimidate with skill.

Yeah, that's what I mean RHO.  I kinda respect that.  Not my cup of tea, since I think the toughness helps the Bruins win games and I enjoy it, but the Wings have certainly made it work for a while.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Had to go across state today for Easter, the only silver lining was I could watch the DET-CHI game. Last time they met on a Sunday afternoon, the game was so good I started a thread about it. Not so much today. Someone turned it to college basketball and that was it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

I watch most the Wings' games because my wife is a Detroit fan, and I can't say I've seen any of this "team toughness" either.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to SoxFanInIL's comment:

I watch most the Wings' games because my wife is a Detroit fan, and I can't say I've seen any of this "team toughness" either.

I don't equate the Red Wings with toughness.  Haven't for years.  I've seen games where Kronwall, Abdelkader, Bertuzzi and Cleary step into people.  Perhaps this is what Ken Holland meant.  I doubt he was refering to fighting though.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Yeah, that's what I mean RHO.  I kinda respect that.  Not my cup of tea, since I think the toughness helps the Bruins win games and I enjoy it, but the Wings have certainly made it work for a while.

They had the skill to make it work for them, Fletch.  As an example that deadly, always moving, always circling, weaving in and out PP of theirs that seemed to always find the open man, be it backdoor or otherwise made teams pay.  The Bruins don't have that level of ability on the roster and we know what the usual outcome is when they try to play like they do.  Their succuss tends to come from a rough 'n ready, aggressive style. 

Sections
Shortcuts