Chris Clark invited to Bruins camp

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ocram. Show ocram's posts

Chris Clark invited to Bruins camp

via twitter:  Katie Strang/Kirk Leudeke

Veteran Chris Clark has accepted training camp invite with Boston Bruins

good guy to try out at camp, 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Re: Chris Clark invited to Bruins camp

Has had his time . If he gets a contract with the Bruins it'll be for depth and Prov.or can he remove Thorton on the 4th line ?  Doubt it  in the Julien scheme of things.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ocram. Show ocram's posts

agree, Legion, could merely be insurance for bottom 6 forwards.  

if the Marchand situation doesnt solve itself soon, he may have a crack at the team, who knows?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Chris Clark did not ring a big bell, but IMO there are a large number of options to replace Thornton. The fans [ includes us] love Thorny's spirit, but he will be up against much stronger talent that Claude cannot ignore.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Clark has always had good speed and plays a perfect role for the Bruins.  He was also a team captain in Washington and you can never have enough good locker room leaders. 

I really like this as a depth move. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

Pretty solid history of injuries and aside from one season (6 years ago) where he scored 30 goals, hasn't really done anything since.

I'm on the fence on this one.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

It's not even a gamble inviting a vet to camp and seeing if he pans out. Worst case scenario, he doesn't crack the lineup. Best case, he shows he's got something left in the tank and outworks someone for a spot.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

You've got it backwards, dez - worst case scenario is he outworks someone and breaks camp on the team.  Best case scenario is he plays well, pushes Pouliot to play to his potential, but hooks on with Winnipeg at the end of camp.

Outside of two Ovechkin fueled years, he's never been much of a skill player, and he isn't really a replacement for Thornton in terms of role.  Middleweight at best.  He hasn't been healthy since in five years.  This is the 2011-12 version of McGrattan - the Bruins doing some community service by giving a guy they think can be positive in the room during camp a chance to show he can still play.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Chris Clark invited to Bruins camp:
    [QUOTE]You've got it backwards, dez - worst case scenario is he outworks someone and breaks camp on the team.  Best case scenario is he plays well, pushes Pouliot to play to his potential, but hooks on with Winnipeg at the end of camp. Outside of two Ovechkin fueled years, he's never been much of a skill player, and he isn't really a replacement for Thornton in terms of role.  Middleweight at best.  He hasn't been healthy since in five years.  This is the 2011-12 version of McGrattan - the Bruins doing some community service by giving a guy they think can be positive in the room during camp a chance to show he can still play.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

Not like McGrattan at all.  McGrattan is a cement head Skating Clown.  Clark might be older and injury prone, but he knows how to play the game.  No risk grinder.  I dig it!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]You've got it backwards, dez - worst case scenario is he outworks someone and breaks camp on the team.  Best case scenario is he plays well, pushes Pouliot to play to his potential, but hooks on with Winnipeg at the end of camp. Outside of two Ovechkin fueled years, he's never been much of a skill player, and he isn't really a replacement for Thornton in terms of role.  Middleweight at best.  He hasn't been healthy since in five years.  This is the 2011-12 version of McGrattan - the Bruins doing some community service by giving a guy they think can be positive in the room during camp a chance to show he can still play.
    I have no problem with him outplaying someone for a spot. I'm not suggesting it would be good if he wins a spot by default simply because he's better than someone who's underperforming. The guy scored 30 goals in the NHL(albeit 6 years ago) so he's proven he can contribute at a reasonably high level. I have no expectations of him making the team but I also won't be upset if he does. Bringing in another vet for the kids to compete against seems like a good thing.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Clark was also a valuable tool in Calgarys run.  Grinder style fwd.  He has never been a meathead type player.  Kills PIMS and is low risk in my eyes.  Depth is never a bad thing especially if injuries, holdouts and unimpressive rookies happen.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Highly disappointed if Clark beats out Pouliot and other prospects for a forward spot. I agree with Book on another thread me thinks PC sees that Providence could make a push for some well needed competitive playoff experience. Clark would help if he's gracious enough to stick around and help the kids down at the dunk.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Highly disappointed if Clark beats out Pouliot and other prospects for a forward spot. I agree with Book on another thread me thinks PC sees that Providence could make a push for some well needed competitive playoff experience. Clark would help if he's gracious enough to stick around and help the kids down at the dunk.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]
    I'd rather have Clark in case of injury than Whitfield. Too much depth will never be a problem.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Chris Clark invited to Bruins camp:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Chris Clark invited to Bruins camp : I'd rather have Clark in case of injury than Whitfield. Too much depth will never be a problem. Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

I can't wait for not having to worry about Whitfield being considered for depth. If PC is worried about depth around deadline time he has the money to get a better replacement than the ultimate mucker.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]Highly disappointed if Clark beats out Pouliot and other prospects for a forward spot. I agree with Book on another thread me thinks PC sees that Providence could make a push for some well needed competitive playoff experience. Clark would help if he's gracious enough to stick around and help the kids down at the dunk.

Could see this happening as well.  Or he has a good camp and signs elsewhere.  Its never a bad thing to have the defending champs having a look.  I like Pouliot as well and I dont think Clark gets in over a rookie.  But iof Marchand holds out for a while I wouldnt mind Clark with Kelly and Peverly.  And thats a worst case scenario.

You must be pumped to watch all the Cali teams this year.  The West has some beauties this year.  All three could contend for Mr. Stanley

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tuckerw3. Show Tuckerw3's posts

Totally agree with you NAS...he has potential to be a third or fourth liner

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from janesie22. Show janesie22's posts

He should've been a Bruin years ago, but I'll still take him with this low risk move. You'll be hardpressed to find someone who works as hard as he does.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

NAS, the part after the dash was more important than the name before it.  McGrattan was a favour.  Chiarelli gave him a chance to show 29 other teams that maybe he was an option if they needed a goon.  Clark hasn't been healthy in ages, which isn't good news for a grinder.  I still say that if he makes the team out of camp it's because none of the prospects who should have a shot could make the jump and get ahead of a career grinder who hasn't played a full season in a while.  That's not good.  No disrespect to Clark, but he'll have to play his heart out for this to benefit the Bruins.

As for sending him to Providence - the P-Bruins have a number of veteran leaders already - enough that some of the prospects will be looking at 3rd and 4th line AHL roles.  I like that Providence is going to be more competitive this year - hate on Whitfield all you want, but he's a very good AHL player - but it's winning in service of developing players in a winning environment, not for it's own sake.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Couldthisbetheyear. Show Couldthisbetheyear's posts

Clark doesn't make the team...Caron does.  Caron will have a breakout yr...he's got something to prove...he will be last yr's Marchand.  Man, I love these young Canadian kids.  All they want to do is play hard and win.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]NAS, the part after the dash was more important than the name before it.  McGrattan was a favour.  Chiarelli gave him a chance to show 29 other teams that maybe he was an option if they needed a goon.  Clark hasn't been healthy in ages, which isn't good news for a grinder.  I still say that if he makes the team out of camp it's because none of the prospects who should have a shot could make the jump and get ahead of a career grinder who hasn't played a full season in a while.  That's not good.  No disrespect to Clark, but he'll have to play his heart out for this to benefit the Bruins. As for sending him to Providence - the P-Bruins have a number of veteran leaders already - enough that some of the prospects will be looking at 3rd and 4th line AHL roles.  I like that Providence is going to be more competitive this year - hate on Whitfield all you want, but he's a very good AHL player - but it's winning in service of developing players in a winning environment, not for it's own sake.
    Im also on the fence about Clark. Wasn't Whitfield the bruins best face off man percentage wise in the 2010 play-offs?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

He's no Recchi. But I like him as a depth move.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

I think Clark wouldn't mind the dunk. He's from South Windsor CT, about 70 miles away. He was well liked in Washington by fans and fellow teamates. Such a person could be helpful in Providence, which I think PC wants revamped.

Sections
Shortcuts