CJ and Seguin

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TuukkainNet. Show TuukkainNet's posts

CJ and Seguin

This is my second post on Seguin and I have to say that after last nights game I'm really starting to question CJ's ability to bring along young players.  Seguin's playing time was once again dismal (10min I believe).  It seems that his line mates have a tough time getting him the puck and when he does receive it they generally flub on a solid pass (he had two passes that should have been goals...reminds me of Krejci last year).  He had zero shots taken and I witnessed him slam his stick on the ice in frustration several times.  It was my belief that playing him at center was the best thing for him but after seeing how CJ is using him I really hope they move him to a wing with Savvy or Bergy...that at least should garner him some more ice time.  The success Skinner has had also is swaying my opinion a little.   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

Re: CJ and Seguin

Claude is an inept coach. I don't care how many goals theyve scored, guess who was on the ice with 3 minutes remaining in a 2 goal game, yes the 4th line.

I don't know what claude, or bruins fans for that matter, sees in Recchi. The guy's age is catching up and seeing him play 18+ minutes a night is painfull.

As for the topic of the thread, I'm not trying to start a Kessel thread. But you guys have to wonder, If the Bruins never hired Claude, would Kessel still be in Boston? CJ is one of the top reasons kessel is gone. I dont want the same thing to happen to Seguin.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

He has garbage wingers, he needs caron on his line (bergeron type of a player) and a winger like lucic.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

Great thread.  Lots could be going on.  I'll toss out a couple.  My first thought is the kid's head is just too busy right now, way too much to think about and not enough free flow to his play.  Now in fairness, this will likely benefit him in the long run, but for now he must be frustrated and feeling a bit lost.  I saw an interview with Taylor Hall last week after being benched for the first time in his life and saw the same look in his face. Maybe what Seguin needs is just what WallyD suggested, send him out there with Caron and Marchand and let the kids just play hockey for a game or two.  Get his feel for the game back.   Bottom line is give it time.  As for CJ,  I'm not sure he is right for this team either.  He's good at stopping the bleeding and getting a bad team on track, but I don't see him taking the that same team to the next level unless he evolves as a coach, and he hasn't shown that ability.  
    Sorry for the long winded post, but with limited time these days I don't get a chance to contribute very often.   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from niftybear. Show niftybear's posts

How can Seguin get more ice time palying like he has recently? He is not winning any battles, he is terrible on face-offs and he makes decisions out of his zone. We get amazed at his occasional passes and speed but he still needs to learn to play without the puck.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: CJ and Seguin:
    Claude is an inept coach. I don't care how many goals theyve scored, guess who was on the ice with 3 minutes remaining in a 2 goal game, yes the 4th line. I don't know what claude, or bruins fans for that matter, sees in Recchi. The guy's age is catching up and seeing him play 18+ minutes a night is painfull. As for the topic of the thread, I'm not trying to start a Kessel thread. But you guys have to wonder, If the Bruins never hired Claude, would Kessel still be in Boston? CJ is one of the top reasons kessel is gone. I dont want the same thing to happen to Seguin.
    Posted by screw-cindy-and-ovie

And if the Bruins didn't trade Al Secord for Mike O'Connell, would Thornton still be in town?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins8. Show bruins8's posts

why should he get more playing time? he doesnt even belong in the nhl...the kid has the tools but hes to soft to young and not smart enough yet

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TuukkainNet. Show TuukkainNet's posts

How can Seguin get more ice time palying like he has recently? He is not winning any battles, he is terrible on face-offs and he makes decisions out of his zone. We get amazed at his occasional passes and speed but he still needs to learn to play without the puck.
    Posted by niftybear

I agree that Seguin is not playing very well, but the question is how does he improve?  He is young and inexperienced, but his talent level and physical skills are high.  He needs time on the ice.  I have no doubt that Seguin is going to be a stud.  I just wonder if CJ is going to slow his progress with his coaching decisions.  As for Seguin's bad decision making he is far from alone...you can add Caron, Wheeler, Hunwick, Paille, Seids, and even Chara to that list.  A move to wing should give him more freedom and time to progress...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TuukkainNet. Show TuukkainNet's posts

This is what I'm thinking..

Lucic-Krejci-Horton
    Seguin-Bergeron-Recchi
    Caron/Sturm-Savard-Wheeler/Ryder
    Thorton-Campbell-Marchand

I think Wheeler and Ryder will be gone before the X-mass trade freeze.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: CJ and Seguin :As for Seguin's bad decision making he is far from alone...you can add Caron, Wheeler, Hunwick, Paille, Seids, and even Chara to that list. 
    Posted by TuukkainNet

Hunwick is in a category all his own there.  Oh my word!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Yes when Sturm, Savard and Krejci return Seguin will have better surroundings. I've noticed Tyler's frustration of having to skate between Glyder and Wheeker poor guy.

Correct Mark Recchi should not be getting more ice time that Tyler Seguin. It is not CJs fault that he doesn't have blueliners that can't start the break that falls on Chiarelli to give julien the right players.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

Enough with Recchi playing 2nd line minutes. The guys 42 turning 43. The Bruins are in trouble if they depend on a 43 year old to be a top 6 winger

The lines when Sturm/ Savard return should be

Lucic Krejci Horton
    Sturm Savard Seguin
    Wheeler Bergeron Ryder
    Caron Campbell Marchand

Extra: Thronton Recchi

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

Enough with Recchi playing 2nd line minutes. The guys 42 turning 43. The Bruins are in trouble if they depend on a 43 year old to be a top 6 winger The lines when Sturm/ Savard return should be Lucic Krejci Horton Sturm Savard Seguin Wheeler Bergeron Ryder Caron Campbell Marchand Extra: Thronton Recchi

Seguin needs the patient play of Krejci right now. He can slow the game down in the offensive end alot more than anyone else on the Bruins roster can. Horton and Lucic can pretty much play with any decent centre. Lineup i like is

Horton Savard Lucic
    Seguin Krecji Sturm
    Caron Bergeron Recchi
    Marchand Campbell Thornton

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

Seguin has looked terrible defensively... and he's shown bursts offensively, he's just old enough to buy cigarettes... and now you want to promote him?

nothing is wrong with allowing him to play third line center and learn how to play the position he is projected to play, that he is best equipt to play. He shouldn't be getting 20 minutes a game until he's proved he can start making progress on the little things in the defensive zone, and show a better motor offensively.

I mean, the Bruins are bringing him along slowly, and everyone seemed to be onboard until the bruins started struggling--now all of the sudden he should be on the first/second line and "AMG CJ CAN"T BRING UP YOUNG PLAYERS!"

Amazing to see how many people think he is sidney crosby.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

The NHL wisdom has always being to bring along rookies slowly. In most cases 1st round draft picks don't stick with the big club until they have had time to get bigger and stronger ( look at the Baby B's). But he was good enough to crack a spot in the line up. So the question is, do you play him like a rented mule, or do you keep the leash on him. CJ is keeping the leash on him. This is CJ's job here. If he's wrong he will pay for it. I'm sure he's doing what he think's is right. As with Kessel as with Seguin, the young kids disagree. But CJ has the whole team to look after. It's more than just Seguin that has to be looked at.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

I believe Julien's original plan was to play Seguin with Savard. When Savard does comes back, I hope that happens.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlueChip99. Show BlueChip99's posts

Enough with Recchi playing 2nd line minutes. The guys 42 turning 43. The Bruins are in trouble if they depend on a 43 year old to be a top 6 winger The lines when Sturm/ Savard return should be Lucic Krejci Horton Sturm Savard Seguin Wheeler Bergeron Ryder Caron Campbell Marchand Extra: Thronton Recchi

You'll never see this lineup. You seem to forget the salary cap.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

IMO Claude has a plan and a system and will stick with it no matter what happens on the ice. His coaches are limited by Claude's perspective and orders. The injuries to Kreji, Savard, Boychuck and Sturm have not helped. Seguin must be on overload and his instincts are totally limited and restricted by Claude. Claude cannot provide a more flexible structure because of the injuries and his own limitations. The rest of the league knows Claude's game and are effectively countering. Putting Seguin with Paille and Thornton will not help the kid 's overall game, it only allows Claude to limit their playing time and go with three lines. As the wounded return changes can be integrated, meanwhile, Seguin will be limited to learning defense. Once Kreji returns look for Paille to sit; When Savard is ready look for Seguin to move to the wing; and when Sturm returns it will be time for more changes IF Sturm can perform.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

Lucic Krejci Horton
    Wheeler Bergeron Caron
    Sturm Savard Seguin
    Marchand Campbell Thornton/Recchi

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TuukkainNet. Show TuukkainNet's posts

Seguin has looked terrible defensively... and he's shown bursts offensively, he's just old enough to buy cigarettes... and now you want to promote him? nothing is wrong with allowing him to play third line center and learn how to play the position he is projected to play, that he is best equipt to play. He shouldn't be getting 20 minutes a game until he's proved he can start making progress on the little things in the defensive zone, and show a better motor offensively.  I mean, the Bruins are bringing him along slowly, and everyone seemed to be onboard until the bruins started struggling--now all of the sudden he should be on the first/second line and "AMG CJ CAN"T BRING UP YOUNG PLAYERS!" Amazing to see how many people think he is sidney crosby.
    Posted by OlsonicCreations

I'm not looking to promote Seguin as much as provide him opportunity for growth.  10 minutes a game is trash.  He should be getting at least 13 to 14 every night.  If you look at the top rookie point scorers (lets say top 10) he is getting less time then most of those players...and yes some of them are on good teams.  I do think he has defensive lapses and he does need to learn the responsibilities of the position, I'm just not sure that CJ knows the best way to foster that growth.  Benching him every time he makes a mistake is not teaching. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

In Response to Re: CJ and Seguin : I'm not looking to promote Seguin as much as provide him opportunity for growth.  10 minutes a game is trash.  He should be getting at least 13 to 14 every night.  If you look at the top rookie point scorers (lets say top 10) he is getting less time then most of those players...and yes some of them are on good teams.  I do think he has defensive lapses and he does need to learn the responsibilities of the position, I'm just not sure that CJ knows the best way to foster that growth.  Benching him every time he makes a mistake is not teaching. 
    Posted by TuukkainNet

that seems reasonable. I guess I agree with you that 13-14 minutes a game would be better than 10.

And yeah, benching him every time he makes a mistake isn't teaching.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

That's why IMO Seguin will now skate with the 4th line. Let him learn NHL defense. Paille is good on the Pk so Seguin can learn from him; do not know what Thornton can teach; the change in line let's Julien shorten the bench to three lines when needed as it is without Kreji/Savard.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

In Response to Re: CJ and Seguin : I'm not looking to promote Seguin as much as provide him opportunity for growth.  10 minutes a game is trash.  He should be getting at least 13 to 14 every night.  If you look at the top rookie point scorers (lets say top 10) he is getting less time then most of those players...and yes some of them are on good teams.  I do think he has defensive lapses and he does need to learn the responsibilities of the position, I'm just not sure that CJ knows the best way to foster that growth.  Benching him every time he makes a mistake is not teaching. 
    Posted by TuukkainNet

Three thoughts on your thread.  Seguin needs to play period. Anywhere. He needs to learn now not in February when Savard, Krejci, and Sturm are back. He will make mistakes, he is 18!  Let him play, he is mature for his age and will not be frustrated if and only if he is around seasoned veterans.  

Secondly, CJ is only doing what is necessary to gain points while these injury set backs are evident.  He is under pressure to maintain defensive posture to only gain points,  a fault in logic imo.  

Lastly, the number of games scheduled in the weeks ahead should be a reason to play Seguin more not less.  Losses now (check Philadelphia last year at this time) will be understandable.  It is only November, although one point is important in the final regular standings, why not let gaining experience now rather than team points be a determining factor in play young players like Seguin.  If the Bs don't make the playoff with Krejci, Savard etc back by December and/or January, well then not playing Seguin et al now is going to change the fate of the team in making the playoff.  CJ may know defense but his forte ends at that point.  Frustrating!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TuukkainNet. Show TuukkainNet's posts

Looks official that Seguin is getting dropped to 4th line with Paille and Thornton.  Will he really learn to be an NHL'r with a fighter and a 1st round pick who has had difficulty making a team?  I would have gone with a 3rd line..

Marchand-Seguin-Ryder

Until Savvy and Krejci come back. Oh well.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

Looks official that Seguin is getting dropped to 4th line with Paille and Thornton.  Will he really learn to be an NHL'r with a fighter and a 1st round pick who has had difficulty making a team?  I would have gone with a 3rd line.. Marchand-Seguin-Ryder Until Savvy and Krejci where back. Oh well.  
    Posted by TuukkainNet

If he has to play center I like your line. CJ can't think that far......

Sections
Shortcuts