CJ Muses about Possible Lineup Configuration

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

CJ Muses about Possible Lineup Configuration

As per NHL.com

Jarome Iginla's departure means there is an opportunity for Loui Eriksson to move into a more prominent role with the Boston Bruins. At least that's the way Bruins coach Claude Julien sees it now as he contemplates what his lineup could look like Oct. 8, when Boston opens the 2014-15 regular season against the Philadelphia Flyers.

Julien, who spoke on a conference call Thursday to announce the hiring of Joe Sacco as an assistant coach, said Eriksson will be given the opportunity to take Iginla's minutes and, ideally, account for the production Iginla gave Boston last season.

Iginla had 30 goals and 31 assists but signed a three-year, $16 million contract with the Colorado Avalanche on July 1. Eriksson had 10 goals and 27 assists in 61 games last season but was sidetracked by concussions.

"We don't feel like we're in a real tough situation," Julien said. "We lost Jarome, but I think Loui Eriksson is a player that can be even better than he was last year. I think we started seeing that at the end of the year and he could be a replacement for Jarome."

Eriksson started last season as the right wing on a line with Patrice Bergeron and Brad Marchand, but Reilly Smith took over that spot permanently in December, when Eriksson was out of the lineup with his second concussion of the season.

Eriksson closed strong, with four goals and 13 assists in the final 22 games of the regular season. He averaged nearly 70 points per season while with the Dallas Stars from 2008-12, and had 29 points in 48 games in the lockout-shortened 2012-13 season.

Julien said Chris Kelly, who had surgery in May after sitting out the Stanley Cup Playoffs because of a back injury, will be healthy. Assuming Eriksson moves up to take Iginla's spot in the top six, Kelly could rejoin Carl Soderberg as Eriksson's replacement on the third line.

Boston also is hoping forwards Justin Florek, Ryan Spooner, Matt Fraser and Alexander Khokhlachev push for more playing time. They spent most of last season with the Providence Bruins in the American Hockey League. Boston also hasn't ruled out the possibility David Pastrnak, the No. 25 pick in the 2014 NHL Draft, could make the team.

"There are just a couple of things where we have to resolve," Julien said. "At the same time we have some young players in Providence that are going to deserve a look, so when training camp starts I think a lot of those decisions will be taking place."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Re: CJ Muses about Possible Lineup Configuration

Eriksson did show the form towards the end of the regular season he was said to have at the time of the trade. With luck that's the shape of things to come. No doubt he's a skilled, heady player who'll thread setups to his line mates. I liked the look of the grinding power guys on the wings with the maestro Krejci conducting things in the middle. Then again there's the possibility of having two maestros on the first line. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Time will tell my friend.

I find it very interesting that this article and the players named are almost exactly what is being floated around these boards. Maybe we have a few staff writers on hand around here? lol

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I find it very interesting that this article and the players named are almost exactly what is being floated around these boards. Maybe we have a few staff writers on hand around here? lol

[/QUOTE]

We already have a GM. Just ask him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

hahaha....yes, yes we do.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Or maybe it's just...obvious? 

[object HTMLDivElement]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Nothing is "obvious." If that were the case, there would be no debates on these forums and we would all be bored to tears.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:[QUOTE] Eriksson did show the form towards the end of the regular season he was said to have at the time of the trade. With luck that's the shape of things to come. No doubt he's a skilled, heady player who'll thread setups to his line mates. I liked the look of the grinding power guys on the wings with the maestro Krejci conducting things in the middle. Then again there's the possibility of having two maestros on the first line. [/QUOTE]

"In Boston’s last game, a 5-2 victory over the Philadelphia Flyers, Eriksson took Iginla’s spot on the Bruins’ top line, skating with David Krejci and the 6-foot-4 Milan Lucic, and had his best game as a Bruin. Period. In just three periods, Eriksson posted four assists (the second four-point game of his career) and had a team-high seven shots on net. It was Eriksson’s first four-point night since a two-goal, two-assist night against Phoenix on Nov. 5, 2010, and showed off some of the versatility that the Black-and-Gold have come to expect from No. 21."

Eriksson will be fine, RHO. I'm more concerned about secondary scoring from the 3rd line.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Kelly appears to be healthy based on this article. Perhaps, provided he is not traded, he can play a full season and get back to scoring some goals. That would definitely help the third line.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:[QUOTE] Eriksson did show the form towards the end of the regular season he was said to have at the time of the trade. With luck that's the shape of things to come. No doubt he's a skilled, heady player who'll thread setups to his line mates. I liked the look of the grinding power guys on the wings with the maestro Krejci conducting things in the middle. Then again there's the possibility of having two maestros on the first line. [/QUOTE]

"In Boston’s last game, a 5-2 victory over the Philadelphia Flyers, Eriksson took Iginla’s spot on the Bruins’ top line, skating with David Krejci and the 6-foot-4 Milan Lucic, and had his best game as a Bruin. Period. In just three periods, Eriksson posted four assists (the second four-point game of his career) and had a team-high seven shots on net. It was Eriksson’s first four-point night since a two-goal, two-assist night against Phoenix on Nov. 5, 2010, and showed off some of the versatility that the Black-and-Gold have come to expect from No. 21."

Eriksson will be fine, RHO. I'm more concerned about secondary scoring from the 3rd line.

[/QUOTE]

Hey, two maestros is better than one, San. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"maestro" episode was on Seinfeld the other night.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

One of many classics on that show.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

One of many classics on that show.

[/QUOTE]

I'm still mad no one got my Seinfeld reference on the twix thread

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Angry George episodes suck compared to Pathetic George episodes.  I thought the Twix one was one of the worst they did!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Angry George episodes suck compared to Pathetic George episodes.  I thought the Twix one was one of the worst they did!

[/QUOTE]

Some angry George ones are great though, when he's trying to get the nickname T-Bone and he's pissy all episode? ITS GREAT!
    But overall, yeah, pathetic George is one of the best tv characters ever

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

I think Louie has a career year this season & finds himself at the top of the scoring list. At the same time I can see Lucic getting more minutes in the box for the players that look at Louie sideways. 

"Why is a puck called a puck? Because Dirty little bastar d was taken!"- Marty Brodeur

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to DaveyN's comment:

[QUOTE]

Some angry George ones are great though, when he's trying to get the nickname T-Bone and he's pissy all episode? ITS GREAT!
    But overall, yeah, pathetic George is one of the best tv characters ever

[QUOTE]

Best George episode was the "Menage a trois "  classic back and forth trying with Jerry and George's disappointment at the end when Jerry didn't go for it was epic.  Access George's dimension .... killer

this one -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6_pv_vRHKI-

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think Louie has a career year this season & finds himself at the top of the scoring list. At the same time I can see Lucic getting more minutes in the box for the players that look at Louie sideways. 

"Why is a puck called a puck? Because Dirty little bastar d was taken!"- Marty Brodeur

[/QUOTE]

I really hope so. I'm not sold on it yet.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The only way I think he doesn't is if DK & Lucic both have off years too. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

or injuries, or his current downward ppg trajectory continues, or he doesn't mesh with his linemates, or.....there are always plenty of ways unfortunately

He has the opportunity, time will tell. Me thinks if he is still in a funk by trade deadline he is gone.....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

One more thing, if Lucic does spend more time taking penalties because he feels he has to protect Eriksson then that is not a good thing. You can't score in the box.

One reason why Horton and Iginla worked so well on that line was precisely because they didn't need protection.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Can't score from the box works if you're talking about Cam Neely.  For Lucic, can't score if you're too busy trying to stay out of the box is probably a better phrase.  When he's not putting the fear of the fist into people, the chest thumping and glaring are easier for opponents to mock.  He becomes Milan Blerchic, not Fat Lucic.  And there's a huge difference there.

Are you not entertained?!?!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

So you think last season when his pims were down quite substantially he was less physically engaged and less effective as a result?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I tend to look at it a different way. If DK and Lucic are having off years it could also be because of their new linemate.  The same way Bergeron and Marchand started last season, Eriksson was not clicking with them.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I tend to look at it a different way. If DK and Lucic are having off years it could also be because of their new linemate.  The same way Bergeron and Marchand started last season, Eriksson was not clicking with them.

[/QUOTE]

That's fine to look at it that way, but I'm going to look at Eriksson's game where he had 4 points playing with Lucic & DK. I know one game means squat, but I think just the thought of having Lucic with him gave him that extra umph he needed. Something that the Soder, nor Kelly could never give him. Certain players play better when they know someone that will have their back 100% of the time just play better. Look at Craig Janney's career in points & his ppg average when he played with Neely compared to when he didn't. Ted Donato is another. It's no coincidence that Renberg & LeClair were better hockey players when playing with Lindros. I think the same could happen with Eriksson.