Claude Giroux = Blake Wheeler

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Re: Claude Giroux = Blake Wheeler

Nash,
    I dont remember that at all, so why dont you dig it up..
    I do remember him saying stuff like he stick handles well in tight places etc.. but i think giroux is also simply a better player at this point..

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from john6345. Show john6345's posts

How can you include Blake Wheeler in the same sentence as Claude Giroux, clearly Giroux has much more upside than Wheeler?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from savybergy77. Show savybergy77's posts

Julien is my pet peeve! I know we win hockey games but come on man, loosen the strings a little.
    I just watched a thing on Gretzky's 50th birthday and he said what made the Oilers so good was that Sather wanted them to play sound defense , but also wanted to win the President trophy, Art Ross, Hart, Norris, Vezina every year so he promoted creativity, as long as the TEAM came first. I was watching and HOPING Julien was as well.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

In Response to Claude Giroux = Blake Wheeler:
    [QUOTE]Giroux is a force. Honestly, this should be Blake Wheeler. Wheeler is bigger, faster and has just as much skill. I'm convinced Julien ruined this guy. Back when he was a rookie I remember Julien whining about how Wheeler plays with the puck too much. Just dump it in and go get it with your size.....stupid coaching as usual
    Posted by nash99[/QUOTE]

Why would you even make this comparison? Wheeler will never have Giroux like numbers.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobbyOrrAlumni. Show BobbyOrrAlumni's posts

GET A GRIP !!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

These posts are not from knowledgeable hockey fans. Giroux and wheeler are comparable ,each with their own strengths and potential. I'm really getting perturbed by those who denegrate Boston players vs. others. Get a life and post objective and carfully thought out comments

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nash99. Show nash99's posts

Why aren't they comparable? Same age. Wheeler was actually drafted higher. Wheeler is bigger. I think he is even faster. He could even dangle with the puck before Julien got to him and turned him into a defensive forward

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CafardoSaysTradeBrady. Show CafardoSaysTradeBrady's posts

"Back when he was a rookie I remember Julien whining about how Wheeler plays with the puck too much. Just dump it in and go get it with your size.....stupid coaching as usual"

ironic. i'm usually all for encouraging creativity, but that's player-specific, and if that's what Julien said about Wheeler at that time, i agree with it to this day. Wheeler seems to think he's a gifted stick handler when he's really not. he's good. he's pretty fast and he usually makes good decisions. but he's not "that" good. he can't beat people with the puck consistently, and that's what should determine how he plays. the averages. he's better off dumping and chasing, or preferably accepting his role and focusing on getting the puck to more skilled players so that Blake can go to the front of the net.

when i saw him ignore Seguin streaking the other night and instead try a cross-ice pass, resulting in Seguin going waaay offside because he rightly knew he should have received the pass, i knew that there was a serious issue. i saw it in person too. for whatever reason he doesn't want to pass to Seguin, the likely explanation is that he thinks Seguin's encroaching on his turf when the reality is that Blake Wheeler does not have half of the skill that Tyler Seguin has and if he doesn't know that himself, it's the coach's job to help him understand it. Unfortunately the coach seems to be underestimating Seguin's ability, so perhaps that's the root of all the confusion.

Wheeler does an above average job at most things, but he is not one of the most skilled offensive players on the team. The team is better off if he accepts that and plays more to his strengths. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Savvvy. Show Savvvy's posts

In Response to Re: Claude Giroux = Blake Wheeler:
    [QUOTE]Why aren't they comparable? Same age. Wheeler was actually drafted higher. Wheeler is bigger. I think he is even faster. He could even dangle with the puck before Julien got to him and turned him into a defensive forward
    Posted by nash99[/QUOTE]

Claude's development of wheeler was all wrong.

Trying to force the d-first mentality on him is lying trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bridgemanusa. Show bridgemanusa's posts

Wheeler is all about "me" as evidenced by his multiple holdouts during negotiations. I think he really thinks he is better than he is. Trade him now while others might think so also because after this season he will not be resigned by the Bruins. He had his shot.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Savvvy. Show Savvvy's posts

[QUOTE]Wheeler is all about "me" as evidenced by his multiple holdouts during negotiations. I think he really thinks he is better than he is. Trade him now while others might think so also because after this season he will not be resigned by the Bruins. He had his shot.
    Posted by bridgemanusa[/QUOTE]

You trade a guy like wheels there is a solid chance he could end up being a 30-40 goal scorer somewhere else.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from john6345. Show john6345's posts

Sorry but for me the problem is that he's just another big man with all the skills and nothing to show for it another Manny Malhotra type player.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Claude Giroux = Blake Wheeler : You trade a guy like wheels there is a solid chance he could end up being a 30-40 goal scorer somewhere else.
    Posted by Savvvy[/QUOTE]

But if you don't trade him there's just as good a chance he'll continue to under-achieve in Boston, knock in about 15 goals a year, and be completely useless in the playoffs like he has been so far.

If he does have potential and upside, trade him while he's young and try to get back a more passionate player who skates/works harder and doesn't get bumped off the puck as easily.

The one thing that's truly odd about Wheels is that his best year by far was his rookie year when he was about 20 lbs. lighter. Far better scoring touch and speed. Now w.all that bulk--what good is it doing him or the team? He doesn't play like a big power fwd., in fact, much the opposite....he still seems to be trying the finesse game, and his body isn't letting him (or he just can't.)

As for comparisons to Giroux, all I can say is if that trade one for one were ever offered up I'd take it and run as fast as I could b4 the other GM came to his senses.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kurako. Show Kurako's posts

I think Wheeler is more like Lee Stempniak. Toronto fans expected big things from him and were disappoined he didn't live up to expectations. He got traded, and is having a decent year in a less pressured enviroinment. I think Wheels is the same type of player.

He's not a super star but he can do a decent job under the right conditions. His 2m salary or whatever it is is about right. If he wants more next year then good luck trying to get it somewhere else...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

In Response to Claude Giroux = Blake Wheeler:
    [QUOTE]Giroux is a force. Honestly, this should be Blake Wheeler. Wheeler is bigger, faster and has just as much skill. I'm convinced Julien ruined this guy. Back when he was a rookie I remember Julien whining about how Wheeler plays with the puck too much. Just dump it in and go get it with your size.....stupid coaching as usual
    Posted by nash99[/QUOTE]

he was good the first half of his first year, a disappointment ever since, needs to use his size better to win more one on one battles.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobbyOrrAlumni. Show BobbyOrrAlumni's posts

Look I like Wheels , but he's nover going to be on the number 1 or 2 line in Boston. He's a 3rd or 4th liner at best.

Giroux is a bonified second or third liner !

Case Closed! Like I said...GET A GRIP !

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tarpouch. Show tarpouch's posts

When wheels was a rookie the b's and him were awesome. But after the detroit game half way through that season they have been Good but inconsistaent going to the net. This basically the same team as then. MY OPINION IS THEY NEED A NEW COACH. i THINK THIS TEAM   HAS THE TOOLS BUT NEEDS THE RIGHT MECHANIC.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

^^^^^
    What a joke this thread is. Wheeler will never amount to anything.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from fireballer58. Show fireballer58's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Claude Giroux = Blake Wheeler : You trade a guy like wheels there is a solid chance he could end up being a 30-40 goal scorer somewhere else.
    Posted by Savvvy[/QUOTE]

NO HE WILL NOT STOP SAYING THAT YOU MORON

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

OF course we would like Giroux, and we should like the way  Wheeler can play. He's very evident on the 4th line where his speed and reach are helpful. He also plays better at center, but not as a Bruins center. He is therefore good trade bait, so let's see what chia does.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

Giroux can actually score the puck. Wheeler is better defensively. Giroux is a better player overall. Any team would nab him before wheeler

Wheeler just doesn't have the scoring skills, lets face it

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

I think people built up these grand expectations for Wheeler and when they didn't pan out they are quick to say trade him, trade him.  In my mind he is well worht the ~2.2 mil or whatever it is he makes.  I also think that although my expectations of his upside have come down, I am not at the point where I think he will never improve.  This kid is solid defensively for the most part and he still has the skills.  Despite some commenters I have seen him play with respect for his teamates he makes the pass when he can.  I remember a few games back when Seguin was streaking off the bench and Wheeler had just won a puck battle and had a man with him on the boards, the easy play was to pass the puck down the boards and start the cycle.  He hit the streaking Seguin, it didn't end up in a goal but he showed faith that the kid could make a play. Isolating one time when he doesn't make that pass doesn't make him selfish anymore then it makes him a top playmaker based on the one example I gave.  I hope that we can come to terms with this kid when the season is over I don't know what his value will be on the open market, but I will be happy if we can keep him at fair market value (maybe slightly more then he makes now based on FA) in order to gage his progression over 2 or 3 more years.

I don't think anyone but Stanley is projecting Stardom from this kid anymore, but I also don't think anyone in hockey is convinced he's as washed up and useless as the fans on these boards believe.  This is not an attack on the 'haters' (for lack of a better term), sometimes you are all far ahead of the curve, the only thing we can do is watch and find out.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Awry. Show Awry's posts

Interestingly - or not - Giroux coulda been a Bruin. He was drafted by the Flyers 22nd overall in 2006, the year Boston drafted Tyler Seguin - er, I mean - Phil Kessel 5th.