Claude Julien: Good or Bad developing young players in Boston

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from corpsie. Show corpsie's posts

Claude Julien: Good or Bad developing young players in Boston

As people collectively hand wring about this team, and the wild hyperbole continues, this question has repeatedly come up among the haters. Does Claude develop young players? 

First, I don't think it's the job of NHL coaches to necessarily "develop" young players. I think it's the job of the coach to take what players he has young and old and get them in a position to win as a team. Obviously when you reach the NHL development doesn't necessarily stop, but in terms of teaching "development" is more an AHL thing. 

That being said here are the rookies making their debut or having played less than 20 games prior to Claude's regime, and under age 25. 

Hunwick, Kessel, Krejci, Lucic, Nokelainen, Pelletier, Sobotka, Lashoff, Bitz, Boychuk, Karsums, Lehtonen, St. Pierre, Wheeler, Bodnarchuk, Hamill, Larman, Lefebvre, Marchand, McQuaid, Penner, Seguin, Kampfer, Caron, Bartkowski, Arniel

Established Top 6 or Top 4 NHL players on any team: Kessel, Krejci, Lucic, Boychuk, McQuaid
    Players who show signs of being Top 6 or Top 4 NHL players but are still young: Kampfer, Caron, Seguin, Marchand
    Players who are established bottom 6/bottom pairing guys: Sobotka, Hunwick, Wheeler
    Players who are out of the NHL: Nokelainen, Lehtonen, Karsums, 
    Fringe guys: Penner, Lefebvre, Larman, St. Pierre, Pelletier, Lashoff, Bitz, Bodnarchuk
    Players we just don't know about: Hamill, Bartowski, Arniel 

Three players have left Boston and have stuck with their new teams (so far). Kessel, Hunwick, Sobotka. The only one who has gotten appreciably better as a player is Sobotka, but he's still a 4th liner at best. Kessel is still the same frustrating player in Toronto as he is here. 

All the other players who are no longer under Claude's system are either in the minors, or in Europe. 

Every season Claude seems to take a sink or swim approach. Earn responsibility little by little. Some players have thrived (Lucic, Krejci, McQuaid, Marchand). Some players have started out strong, but then plateaued (Wheeler, Hunwick, Kampfer) and others the jury is still out.

Thoughts. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re: Claude Julien: Good or Bad developing young players in Boston

Established Top 6 or Top 4 on any NHL team....Boychuk and McQauid?????

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Claude's record speaks for itself.  He is very good at bringing along young players.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MRELD. Show MRELD's posts

Hey, loved the list of names......you forgot Nate Thompson but that's ok...or did the Isles claim him pre-Clode???? I wish we still had some of these type guys in Providence instead of the stiffs wearing the spoked "P" now......

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

Claude is very good at developing player that are already gritty but he tries to turn all the talented players into gritty players and that doesn't work so well.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

Claude stinks, his style is terrible, and worse.. nothing changes if nothing changes.  Claude never changes anything, so if you want to predict a Claude Bruins team season it's simple, some great stretches, terrible stretches, pull out alot of hair, boring out of date trap hockey of the 90's, talented skilled guys have no place in his system, second or first round playoff exit.  Take it to the bank.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from corpsie. Show corpsie's posts

In Response to Re: Claude Julien: Good or Bad developing young players in Boston:
    Established Top 6 or Top 4 on any NHL team....Boychuk and McQauid?????
    Posted by kelvana33

Yeah. In hindsight I got sort of carried away with those two. Both are capable of being Top 4 d-men. 

But still serviceable NHL players.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from corpsie. Show corpsie's posts

In Response to Re: Claude Julien: Good or Bad developing young players in Boston:
    Claude is very good at developing player that are already gritty but he tries to turn all the talented players into gritty players and that doesn't work so well.
    Posted by Orrthebest

Not really sure I buy this line of reasoning or the difference between talent and gritty. 

The talented guys I'm assuming you mean are Kessel and Seguin. Kessel wasn't a failure in development. He's a legit 30 goal guy. He's also  streaky mercurial player who doesn't like to play defense. That's not really a fault of Claude. Kessel has the same problems in Toronto. 

Seguin is still a work in progress, and different in that Seguin has been playing center. And centers have to be responsible defensively in ANY system. Seguin is not there yet, thus the need for Kelly. Wingers can get by with floating some, even in Claude's system, but centers cannot.

Also if you look at the list of players, who among them were really known for their offense prowess besides Kessel and Seguin? 

It seems to me the Bruins are trying to replicate Detroit's system, which is smart, only with a bit more grit to play in the East. Look at Detroit. Datsyuk and Zetterberg are their two top offensive talents, yet both are also outstanding defensive forwards as well. (By many conventional and advanced metrics, Datsyuk is the best two-way player in the game). 

Its obvious Claude wants players to be responsible in their own end. But I don't think that necessarily stifles the development of goal scorers. I just don't think we've had a lot of goal scorers come up through the system. 

Sections
Shortcuts