Claude Julien

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Re: Claude Julien

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Ottawa is without Spezza and Karlsson and is competing.

Yes, they are competing. They have also lost their last 4. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Coaches are like the leaders in other parts of life like government and business.

Crisis happens.  Sometimes things just aren't going right.

But how do they handle it?  Do they project confidence that things will work out?  Do they have a plan?  Do they rally people to the cause?

I don't see this with CJ right now.  It's more than the Xs and Os, there's a lot of psychology in the job of being a leader of anything.  In a crisis you have to give people confidence that you know what you're doing.

CJ isn"t inspiring confidence in anyone that i can see

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

In response to Sportsnutty's comment:

So NAS, do you think its tactical decision issues causing the Bruins to play .500 over the past month? Coaching? Not players?

It's a myriad of problems.  Players in super slumps need to be benched, demoted or short shifted.  Julien doesn't do that.  My guess is because he's too close to these guys.  This is one reason coaches get turned over so quickly.  In Montreal, Therrien had a parade to the press box this year.  Don't play?  Don't play.  That was his theory.  Julien won't bench the guys he won the Cup with.  Someone else will bench those guys, however. 

The players haven't lost their skill.  They've lose their desire and accountability. 

Oh, and playing Campbell for 19 minutes while top skill guys play less is 100% unacceptable.

And having the goon in the lineup at all is unacceptable.

Here's how incredibly lost Julien is right now:

Paille:  17:50

Seguin:  16:15

Marchand:  15:40

I agree 100% that Julien is lost.  I stopped criticizing CJ when they won the Cup because he found a way to get his team to the pinnacle.  Here we go again however with unskilled players playing over skilled guys.  Guys like Campbell and Paille playing more than Seguin and Marchand is stupid.  There are different rules even amongst the skill or somewhat skilled guys.  I love Lucic but there are nights when Lucic and Horton are major defensive liabilities and they aren't skating and they keep getting put out there.  Seguin gets a game and a couple of shifts at centre and struggles a little and he ends up on the 3rd line.  It is ridiculous.  Young guys in Edmonton are continually getting to spread their wings and CJ continues to put the reigns on this super talented player even though he has committed to playing a good defensive game.  He works hard on the back check and is often the guy breaking up plays.  Unless there is a coaching change in Boston, Tyler will be leaving as soon as he is able to.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

A lot of pieces came together at the right time for the Bruins for that cup win.

It was a perfect storm.  And CJ was in the groove, I was highly critical of him that season until he benched Ryder.  That seemed to be the turning point.  he used time outs wisely.  He used players wisely.

I'm not seeing that now.  I'm not seeing players being best used.  the players are like tools.  And instead of using the tool that works for the job it's intended he's using it for some other purpose.

What are Campbell and Paille doing that deserves so much credit?

Why isn't Horton or Lucic punished?

Even tho the core of these players is the same personnel, they are playing different than they were then.  the game is slightly different than it was then.  I don't think CJ has adapted to the changes.  I don't think CJ is exploiting their talents.

There is a business philosophy that I believe in strongly.  Let people do what they do best and don't focus on their weaknesses.  You got a nerdy guy with great technical skills and no people skills, don't waste your time trying to make him charming, exploit the skills he has.  Of course you have the discipline issue and fundamental business courtesy that you have to enforce so it's not purely let them do what they do best, but that stuff is a lot easier if you are focusing on their strengths ratehr than weaknesses.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

A lot of pieces came together at the right time for the Bruins for that cup win.

It was a perfect storm.  And CJ was in the groove, I was highly critical of him that season until he benched Ryder.  That seemed to be the turning point.  he used time outs wisely.  He used players wisely.

I'm not seeing that now.  I'm not seeing players being best used.  the players are like tools.  And instead of using the tool that works for the job it's intended he's using it for some other purpose.

What are Campbell and Paille doing that deserves so much credit?

Why isn't Horton or Lucic punished?

Even tho the core of these players is the same personnel, they are playing different than they were then.  the game is slightly different than it was then.  I don't think CJ has adapted to the changes.  I don't think CJ is exploiting their talents.

There is a business philosophy that I believe in strongly.  Let people do what they do best and don't focus on their weaknesses.  You got a nerdy guy with great technical skills and no people skills, don't waste your time trying to make him charming, exploit the skills he has.  Of course you have the discipline issue and fundamental business courtesy that you have to enforce so it's not purely let them do what they do best, but that stuff is a lot easier if you are focusing on their strengths ratehr than weaknesses.

Well said!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Appears unanimous....CJ should get whacked.

I'm surprised and disappointed with the verdict.

I've never thought that Julien is an amazing coach, but I think coaches overall get way too much credit when things go well, and too much blame when things don't.  I've always disagreed with the "shelf life" stuff(seems more apppropriate for GM's and owners).  Players at all levels, routinely "tune out coaches".  Coaches don't play the games, they merely attempt to dictate "a system".  If you fire your coach for that reason, you're pandering to the whim of the players.

We all know the B's system.  Tight team defense is a core value.  And it's easy to figure out why.  The team doesn't have a roomful of snipers.  Any coach, with any brains, would embrace this system, with this group of players.  A great defensive game doesn't take one ounce of potential away from offense.  Many don't agree, but it's true.

For me, the whole "fire the coach" mentality, virtually always glosses over the real issues.  Issues the big brass don't want to deal with, or are too stupid to figure out.

Lets look at a few of the realities.  First, many have pointed out a sense of lethargy.  I agree with that, and it started against Washington.  You could smell the difference.  The question is why.  We got force fed this "hangover" BS all last year, and it came mostly from upstairs, not the coaches office, so.......anyway, they didn't seem "as" engaged against the Caps, as most of us expected.

This year, the schdule is a marathon.  Like all regular season's...it means nothing, as long as one makes the playoffs.  This year is even worse, especially for the B's.  That easy schedule the first month, has turned into an incredible grind, that can easily screw a team before playoffs even start.  I'm guessing, that's a real big deal when it comes to "icetime" this year.  

Many are ragging about the fact that poor play appears to be "accepted".  Possible I guess, but it seems highly unlikely to me.  We know virtually nothing about how that stuff is dealt with.  That news isn't shared with the public.  One thing though is obvious.  Everytime one of the top 6 misses a shift, there's an uproar here, about the peripherals getting too much ice time.

The last 50 seconds of the Montreal game seems to be logic for a new coach.  I don't know where to start there.  I've never met a hockey player whose unengaged with a minute left in a 2-1 game.  It doesn't happen.  I've never met a coach whose won a game with 50 to go either.  What happened there has zero to do with coaching.  I can assure you Julian never said, "pass the puck around til you can get a tap in".  "Don't shoot unless it's a sure goal".  What hapenned in Montreal was just.."shite happens".

Every other day last year, we had a "dump DK" thread.  Those should be a lesson.

I see 3 big issues.  1. Seguin, 2. Horton, 3. Lucic.  I don't think a new coach fixes any of those.  Horton and Lucic both have a history of inconsistency.  Turned around, that can be taken as "streaky".  hopefully they'll be "due" when the playoffs start.

Seguin though, is a different animal to me.  I know he's considered sacred around here, but I'd like to knock his head off.  This is his 3rd year.  Enough excuses.  This year, he's about on par with Samsonov in his 3rd year here.  He's beginning to look like a one trick pony, with the hockey sense of a Zamboni.  It would sure be nice if that were Juliens fault....I wish I felt it was.....but I don't.

Hopefully I'm wrong about his brain.  You have to have that to become elite.  It can't be coached.  Maybe he's just a little slow on the growth curve, and still a bit overwhelmed.  His team mates have a much bigger impact in all of those area's, than the coach though.

We have a few second tier issues.  There seems to be more games when the team just stinks overall.  I think that's a function of playing so many games in such a short period of time.  Practice time is limited this year too.

Blowing leads can be attributed to that also.  The pp is an issue, but, i'm sure everyone from Neely to the office clerk are in on that one.  So easy to pin that all on Ward, but that is being coached by comittee.  Be shocked if Jagr hasn't had his brain picked by every suit in the company on this issue.

Brickley said something off the cuff a week or so ago, after a Bruin loss.  He said "this team is very good when they have their game going". (paraphrase)

Some obvious conclusions from that statement.  The first one being, they're quite average when they don't bring it.(as is the rest of the league).  Not a team of superstars, but a team that relies more heavily on work ethic, and a system, than other elite teams.

If I believed a different coach could bring in a different system and do better, I'd be all in.  I don't believe that though.  A new coach would need to attempt to employ the same philosophies to be successful.

Things change quickly.  I've been watching the Rangers closely all season.  Is anyone going to actually "prefer" facing them.. if they get in?

A brand new season is just around the corner.  No need to reinvent the wheel.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Steve,

When was the last time you saw CJ call a time out?

When was the last time you saw CJ pull a mid game line change that worked?

Other than Peverly, when was the last time you saw a player 'punished' by being demoted to a lower line or being banished to the press box?

Other than lack of productivity, why is Seguin being punished by being demoted?  Didn't he register 11 shots on goal a game or so back?

--------------------------------------

and on another level - below the line literally.  Note CJ's interaction with the press of late.  Confident? No. Poised. No.  A person in a position of leadership has to convey confidence.  History is full of examples of people in leadership roles who conveyed confidence and ralllied their people onto victory.

If the man in charge isn't confident and poised, it makes it harder for the people beneath him to be confident and poised.

I'm hoping CJ comes back.  I believe he can.  I believe he can tune in and figure out how to use jagr, seguin and everyone else for that matter effectively.  right now it appears that CJ feels that Paille and Campbell are his 2 best players.  I see a problem with that.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Steve,

Other than Peverly, when was the last time you saw a player 'punished' by being demoted to a lower line or being banished to the press box?

Other than lack of productivity, why is Seguin being punished by being demoted?  Didn't he register 11 shots on goal a game or so back?

and on another level - below the line literally.  Note CJ's interaction with the press of late.  Confident? No. Poised. No.  A person in a position of leadership has to convey confidence.  History is full of examples of people in leadership roles who conveyed confidence and ralllied their people onto victory.

If the man in charge isn't confident and poised, it makes it harder for the people beneath him to be confident and poised.

I'm hoping CJ comes back.  I believe he can.  I believe he can tune in and figure out how to use jagr, seguin and everyone else for that matter effectively.  right now it appears that CJ feels that Paille and Campbell are his 2 best players.  I see a problem with that.

I don't think CJ has ever made much of an attempt to appear poised and confident in his interviews.  To me. he's always came off as being somewhat sincere though, and thats key.  Time outs are rarely called for anything more than "breathers".  I guess I really can't give examples of spectacular mid game line changes. 

I do think though, icetime being given to Campbell and Paille lately, is a perfect example of 2 seperate issues, that all those clamouring for Clod's head,... aren't getting.  Both of these guys are playing their guts out, so the coach is rewarding them.  That's doing 2 things.  #1.  Rewarding effort.  No one is above the team, and if you play hard, you'll get more opportunity.  #2.  By rewarding Campbell, and Paille, he's literally "benching", and "punishing" specific members of the top 6, depending on the situation.

This is the time of year to be doing that.  Not in game 7's during the playoffs.  

Seguins had his good games, but overall he's been a disappointment.  Think those 11 shots were vs Ottawa maybe, and the overall importance of that fact was largely blown out of proportion imo.

You have to have fire in your belly to get to the NHL.  You have to have even more fire to stay there and excell.  The whole issue of talent levels out after you're in the league a while.  It becomes a matter of inner drive.  The really great ones,(Orr, Shore) and those that play above their talent level(Esposito, O'Reilly), are driven beyond belief.  Coach really has dick to do with that....and he shouldn't.  If you're not committed to being the best you can be, one should choose another line of work.

As long as the players as a whole, feel sure that everything the coach does.....is motivated by helping the team, things should be good.  A good coach can get across to his players that there's a way for them to find great success.  It's a different path for Paille, than Chara, but it's still there.  Maybe for Horton it's goals, stitches for Thorton, blocked shots for Campbell, but it has to be there, and players must believe their coach is committed to helping them achieve, as opposed to managing them.  It's a well known fact in any pro dressing room(and accepted), that it's tougher for the young guys.  

I just think a change right now is a hysterical, rather than logical move.  Rarely do coaching changes do much in the improvement area, short term.  Rarely do they work at all, but the majority that do......take time.

First round exit could prove fatal for the current coach.  A trip to the 3rd round will most likely give him at least 2 more years.  Same coach, same strategies, same everything, except one is great, the other isn't.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I agree, I think it would be folly to dump him right now.

I also think you are correct in saying he never attempted to portray an image of confidence and/or poise and that's just it.  He's scared and confused and frustrated and shows it.  That's a problem becuase it makes the existing problem worse.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to stevegm's comment:

Steve,

I don't think CJ has ever made much of an attempt to appear poised and confident in his interviews.  To me. he's always came off as being somewhat sincere though, and thats key.  Time outs are rarely called for anything more than "breathers".  I guess I really can't give examples of spectacular mid game line changes. 

I do think though, icetime being given to Campbell and Paille lately, is a perfect example of 2 seperate issues, that all those clamouring for Clod's head,... aren't getting.  Both of these guys are playing their guts out, so the coach is rewarding them.  That's doing 2 things.  #1.  Rewarding effort.  No one is above the team, and if you play hard, you'll get more opportunity.  #2.  By rewarding Campbell, and Paille, he's literally "benching", and "punishing" specific members of the top 6, depending on the situation.

This is the time of year to be doing that.  Not in game 7's during the playoffs.  

Seguins had his good games, but overall he's been a disappointment.  Think those 11 shots were vs Ottawa maybe, and the overall importance of that fact was largely blown out of proportion imo.

You have to have fire in your belly to get to the NHL.  You have to have even more fire to stay there and excell.  The whole issue of talent levels out after you're in the league a while.  It becomes a matter of inner drive.  The really great ones,(Orr, Shore) and those that play above their talent level(Esposito, O'Reilly), are driven beyond belief.  Coach really has dick to do with that....and he shouldn't.  If you're not committed to being the best you can be, one should choose another line of work.

As long as the players as a whole, feel sure that everything the coach does.....is motivated by helping the team, things should be good.  A good coach can get across to his players that there's a way for them to find great success.  It's a different path for Paille, than Chara, but it's still there.  Maybe for Horton it's goals, stitches for Thorton, blocked shots for Campbell, but it has to be there, and players must believe their coach is committed to helping them achieve, as opposed to managing them.  It's a well known fact in any pro dressing room(and accepted), that it's tougher for the young guys.  

I just think a change right now is a hysterical, rather than logical move.  Rarely do coaching changes do much in the improvement area, short term.  Rarely do they work at all, but the majority that do......take time.

First round exit could prove fatal for the current coach.  A trip to the 3rd round will most likely give him at least 2 more years.  Same coach, same strategies, same everything, except one is great, the other isn't.

Thats how i see it Steve.There are lots of ways to "punish" players as it were.Don't think Peverly, Seguin and the like notice 4th line center Campbell is now on the 2nd line, believe me they do and it does send a message, short of putting 3 or 4 guys in the press box, what can you do?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

Thats how i see it Steve.There are lots of ways to "punish" players as it were.Don't think Peverly, Seguin and the like notice 4th line center Campbell is now on the 2nd line, believe me they do and it does send a message, short of putting 3 or 4 guys in the press box, what can you do?

Also punish Horton and Lucic.  Use Jagr more effectively.  Not have Seguin be the only player he ever seems to punish.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Also punish Horton and Lucic.  Use Jagr more effectively.  Not have Seguin be the only player he ever seems to punish.

Fat was demoted as has been mentioned.Seguin could be back on the second line before the end of the night or with all their blazing speed the KPS line could get 4 goals, who knows.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

You bring up a good point Bad.  It does seem like he's harder on Seguin doesn't it. 

It could be he's telling Seguin that he expects greatness, and he'll tolerate nothing less.  Coaches should be more demanding of those with his potential.

Maybe he's like many young'uns, and doesn't take direction well, so things need to be driven down his throat.

Could be many more.  Whadaya think.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

You bring up a good point Bad.  It does seem like he's harder on Seguin doesn't it. 

It could be he's telling Seguin that he expects greatness, and he'll tolerate nothing less.  Coaches should be more demanding of those with his potential.

Maybe he's like many young'uns, and doesn't take direction well, so things need to be driven down his throat.

Where was all that vineagar with Kessel?

JWensink hates Seguin because he feels Seguin hates contact, but Kessel never even got close enough to do the fly by and stick check and etc.  There's perimeter and then there's making sure to never cross that invisible perimeter line.

Hamilton has rarely been disciplined, not one game in the press box from what I can remember and only minor benchings.  Is what Seguin does that much worse?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

JWensink hates Seguin because he feels Seguin hates contact, but Kessel never even got close enough to do the fly by and stick check and etc.  There's perimeter and then there's making sure to never cross that invisible perimeter line.

Hamilton has rarely been disciplined, not one game in the press box from what I can remember and only minor benchings.  Is what Seguin does that much worse?

Hab

Don't hate Seguin, but I do see what does when he's out there. You gotta look past the flash to understand how much of an issue is really at play with this kid. It's a  problem. I honestly don't know why CJ has chosen this moment to finally drop the hammer on him though. It should have been nipped in the bud a long time ago. Now that Bergeron and Kelly haven't been around it's somewhat confusing to see CJ choose this as the time to penalize him. Hamilton has made mistakes, and that never bothers me as I consider it part of the process, Seguins faults aren't mistakes- it goes way deeper than that. I still believe in Seguins talent...but I think he needs to understand exactly what is expected of him, and I'm not sure what that is. He probably doesn't either. I don't think it's anymore complicated than this - hey Tyler, One more flyby or one more lame attempt at a one on one battle from the outside looking in with you poking your stick in as your max effort - and you'll be watching from the press box. You're either invested all in, or your out. Sadly that speech can be made to almost all of the forwards also. I think that's CJ's biggest shortcoming, and I truly don't get it -

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to JWensink's comment:

Don't hate Seguin, but I do see what does when he's out there. You gotta look past the flash to understand how much of an issue is really at play with this kid. It's a  problem. I honestly don't know why CJ has chosen this moment to finally drop the hammer on him though. It should have been nipped in the bud a long time ago. Now that Bergeron and Kelly haven't been around it's somewhat confusing to see CJ choose this as the time to penalize him. Hamilton has made mistakes, and that never bothers me as I consider it part of the process, Seguins faults aren't mistakes- it goes way deeper than that. I still believe in Seguins talent...but I think he needs to understand exactly what is expected of him, and I'm not sure what that is. He probably doesn't either. I don't think it's anymore complicated than this - hey Tyler, One more flyby or one more lame attempt at a one on one battle from the outside looking in with you poking your stick in as your max effort - and you'll be watching from the press box. You're either invested all in, or your out. Sadly that speech can be made to almost all of the forwards also. I think that's CJ's biggest shortcoming, and I truly don't get it -

I don't believe that is what the issue is/was that sent TS to the 3rd line because as you say it's been going on since day 1 and I don't see why he would start taking notice of it now.  I guess if that is the message that's an enormous problem because it should have been known and in the open ages ago.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrHulot. Show MrHulot's posts

I think it's quite simple: CJ cannot handle scorers.

Phil Kessel was lazy (and apparently a bit too much into food - way to set a good example, Coach!)

Tyler Seguin missed early morning team meetings (and didn't clean up his room in Switzerland)

Jaromir Jagr still has a thick Czech accent (and he still wears some kind of mullet)

I just wonder what is going to happen if Jagr brings back "the 'stache"...

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Kessel really wasn't different, in fact he was probably treated a bit more harshly.  CJ benched 81, and sat him out early on.  Kessel\s last year here....he was a bigger threat to score than Seguin is this year.
    Hamilton appears to be hungry to learn.  His mistakes are honest.  Seguins seem to be lack of effort, stupidity, or both.  I think the big reason Seguin is getting the attention he is.....is because his growth has not only slowed....it;s regressed, and when that happens to someone of his natural talent, at his age...it's downright annoying.

Anyway, I don't want to start a Seguin crusade, I'd really like to keep it in context to the coaching discussion.  I said before, veterans have a lot of say, and what they say means more to young players than the coach.  They play for each other, not the coach, GM or owner(usually in spite of).

Usually you can see some chinks in the armour when things are going south.  I don't see any of those.  So far this year, there seems to be several guys having "off years".  So far, DK is about the only player whose been at or above expectation.  Don't know if coaching has caused Ference to turn into somebody else this year.  DS is about as steady as it gets, and he's single handedly blown a couple games.  The 3rd and 4th lines forgot how to play offense.

Just the game of hockey.  Most everyone figured Montreal would be scrapping it out with the Islanders for that 1st overall pick less than 45 games ago.  Teams(players) get hot, they cool off, then the cycle starts again.  It happens to every team, multiple times, every year in an 82 game schedule.