Clearing Cap Space. How would you go about doing it. Who goes, who stays

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

Clearing Cap Space. How would you go about doing it. Who goes, who stays

I know many of you have discussed this before within other threads, but Im curious to hear what you guys would do to clear cap space to bring someone else in. The thing with iginla was the fact that things happened so fast, clearing cap space in two weeks was never going to happen. I think the B's will sit tight with what they have, but what should the do going forward. We need a RW, but who is out there to grab?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re: Clearing Cap Space. How would you go about doing it. Who goes, who stays

Kelly goes or no one does.  With Savard's LTIR, they can re-sign Smith and Krug, bring up Fraser and Florek to round out the roster and go from there.  If Kelly goes, they could add Spooner or they could use half of Kelly's salary to bring in another wing or a C who can play wing, but honestly, there's very little out there that promises more than the B's rookies might deliver.  Setoguchi.  Penner.  Heatley. Stempniak.  Penner and Setoguchi might be willing to take small dollars (they made $2M and $3M respectively).  Heatley I don't know.  Stempniak is a liability.

In the end, all of these moves would feel like adding someone as a security blanket, and I'm not in favour of clearing cap space for a veteran who was dumped by a non-playoff team or a who played a minor role on a playoff team.

Are you not entertained?!?!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Kelly is the obvious target when he's healthy.  But he does leave a hole on the PK that was obvious against the Habs so someone needs to be able to step in there.  Spooner?!?

Boychuck is the other option, but I don't like that one because I really like what Boychuck brings.  McQuaid and Miller are downgrades.

Everyone else is either too important, has too favorable a contract or doesn't make enough.

As far as filling that RW hole, I would lean more to playing rookies for the first half of the year and targeting a deadline deal.  Guys like Vanek, etc. went cheap last year.  And if a guy like Spooner or Fraser or even Griffith or Koko come up and excel and score 20+ while Eriksson returns to being a 70pt guy on the top line, you don't need to bring in anyone.

There does need to be a place for a guy like Fraser or Spooner to do their thing.  They're old enough now.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I'd rather go into the season w/ what we have and give young players the chance to step up.  I still think Kelly has value to the Bs but if someone had to go, he's the guy.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

Isn't the Savard money going to cover the Iggy bonuses from last season? If so, Kelly has to go in order to sign Krug and Smith.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Well i think the prime names mentioned are boychuk, marchand...i think the easy name is Kelly who could be tossed in with one of the 2 teams mentioned to clear the space needed or to bring back a solid player.  I doubt any of the other players in terms of the core are being offered.  I would deal Boychuk before Marchand but i really dont want to lose either.  

The Bruins may lack a little scoring to start the year but im ok with moving Loui to the top line and giving him a chance.  Bergies line remains together.  They play some young hungry players who will add some spark and determine what they have.  Boston still ices a very strong team this year.  They have all sorts of time to evaluate what they have by giving Loui, kids a chance to play.  I would be in favor of a 1m 1 year offer to Setoguchi bc hes blazing fast, can play multiple positions, shoots right, has shown playoff success and is 27.  He would likely be the only fwd(Ott too expensive) that i would bring in.  

For now i think we just need to accept that we are up against the cap and give a few guys a chance to prove their worth.   If it doesnt work we can then consider moving an expiring contract like Boychuk.  I do believe Kelly will be dealt.  He might give us a depth fwd in return who is cheaper.   How about Kelly to SJ for Brown or Torres.  :-).   They seem to be full on 4th liners, Burish, Kennedy, brown, raffi and 6th liner In the beer league(Scott)

But for now i dont think we will see any movement for a while.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

As they currently stand, have $5.668m in space, with Smith, Krug, two more forwards to fit in, and Miller as an extra.  At best, those forwards use up $1.2m of space, leaving only about $4.5m for Krug and Smith.  Possible, but unlikely.  If the two forwards are of better-than-minimum quality, there's even less space.  Maybe McQuaid would be enough, but it really seems like Boychuk or Kelly must go.  Both leave problematic holes.

It'd be slightly easier to find a veteran forward to replace Kelly, but then the space savings isn't as much.

It'd be slightly easier to fill in for another D from within the organization, but there's bound to be a pretty big step down from Boychuk.

I hope Chiarelli has his thinking cap on.

-- Proud user of http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8vclq_sgc2c-69-chambraigne" rel="nofollow">Chambraigne; Now with Wiener Scent! --

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

$5.668M

-$4M total for Smith and Krug, who have no leverage as EL players without RFA rights

= $1.668M for rookie fill-ins.  That could be Fraser and Spooner at a total of $1.6M  Or you could have Fraser and Florek at $1.8M and give Krug and Smith slightly less.  Tighter than ..., but compliant.

Are you not entertained?!?!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I'm not trying to pick on Kelly but if he gets injured early in the season, PC is stuck with his contract and that will hurt the 2014-2015 season. His contract, not his play, has to be traded. Getting Krug and Smith in plus leaving room for a trade later on means money has to go out.

I like the idea of starting to groom KoKo or Spooner for the PK. Campbell and Paille aren't coming through the door forever (Thanks Pitino!) folks.

There is always "trade from strength" and that could mean Boychuk or McQuiad. I wouldn't like it but that is the cap world now. I don't think it will be McQuaid because his cap hit is real good.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to 49thparallel's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Isn't the Savard money going to cover the Iggy bonuses from last season? If so, Kelly has to go in order to sign Krug and Smith.

[/QUOTE]

You're double counting.

Cap is $69M

Bonus overage is $4.8ishM

Savard's cap hit is $4.1ishM

That means the Bruins have 69-4.8+4.1=$68.3M as their true team salary Cap this year if they put Savard on LTIR.

Put another way, Cap Geek lists the Bruins at $67.359M in cap salary today which is all the players under contract and on the roster plus the bonus overage and including Savard's money.  Put Savard on LTIP and that drops to $63.322M.  That's the $5.668M DrCC mentioned.

[object HTMLDivElement]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

God bless us.

This is the 100th thread about this topic, and meanwhile Crowls and I have spent the last month discussing Marleau and Mueller.

Being tight against the cap and having boringass prospects is killing...ME!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Unless some sort of sweet deal comes along for whoever on this Bs team,we have exactly what you see with PC getting smith and krug under contract and the rest of the holes filled with call ups, in which its time for a couple to step in and step up, and until the trade deadline unless someone  falters badly, its a waiting game. Just from watching and waiting thru the draft and july 1st free agents of PC doing nothing tells me this is exactly where he is going with this team.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle-Salty. Show Uncle-Salty's posts

Why the love for crap like Fraser and Florek and, to a lesser extent, Spooner? These guys suck and need to be replaced with some guys with stones.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

They cant all be Carl "40 Goals" Soderberg...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle-Salty. Show Uncle-Salty's posts

In response to DaveyN's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Put Sod with Iginla and Looch last year and he would have scored 40+. Maybe he should have been there instead of playoff no-show?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Heatley signed with the Ducks for $1M for 1 year... WOW!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lex44. Show Lex44's posts

In response to Uncle-Salty's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to DaveyN's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Put Sod with Iginla and Looch last year and he would have scored 40+. Maybe he should have been there instead of playoff no-show?

[/QUOTE]

Yikes. I mentioned maybe C.J. Should have moved him up during Hab series as first line slumped and I'm a knucklehead forever on here. Good luck looks like your joining me.. Lol

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Imnsho, the two defensemen that are so alike are Boychuk and Seidenberg . I like both players, but one needs to be looked at in order to create Csp Space. Once this done link Subban and Kelly together with said player to add a right winger . PC is not this type if GM. JJ likes the potential regular season $$$. Cautious grasshopper as the Bs management creeps closer to inertia. 

"Don't judge me monkey" 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm sure this comment has been shredded endlessly, so I won't waste anyone's time.. just offer up a pretty straightforward "LOL" and be done with it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

Ok, so the consensus is Kelly and Boychuk on the bubble, but with no one out there worth grabbing, the B's are gonna sit tight and not do anything.