Clown vs. Clown

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seanbdm. Show seanbdm's posts

Re: Clown vs. Clown

i love Thorton I hate nas and everyone of his post what cant beleive he likes the Bruins

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Im  just waiting for his regular 10 goal season.  He had a god awful turnover early that the coach ripped him about on the bench.  Fight was predictable and Konopka gave him the go ahead but likely should have skated away.  And Im willing to bet that his chip shot pass couldnt be repeated by him in a million attempts by old cement hands. 

I agree with Fletch though.  I have exhausted myself talking about this plug.  Good Bruins win is more important.  They played hard all night.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Clown vs. Clown:
    [QUOTE]Come on NAS you didn't see that great pass to spring the breakaway goal? I hope thorton gets his wish and finishes his career with us. Bottom line you need a Thorton type player to win a cup and as much as you hate Marchand you need a guy like that too. I enjoy the fights and its not an easy job and mr thorton deserves your respect.
    Posted by LUCICmilan17[/QUOTE]

You don't even respect him enough to spell his name correctly. 

Who was on the Detroit back to back teams?  Who was on the Carolina team?  Some teams have them.  Some don't.  Who helped the Penguins win the Cup? 

And yes, of course I saw that great pass.  11 games in, he has made one great pass.  To the Hall of Fame he goes!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Neecic. Show Neecic's posts

players know what tough guys are in the opposing teams lineup before the game,  if you don't think so you're kidding yourself.  If all Thornton does is let the other guys on the team focus on playing and not on who's gonna have to take on the other teams goon then he's done his job whether he actually fights or not.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Clown vs. Clown : You don't even respect him enough to spell his name correctly.  Who was on the Detroit back to back teams?  Who was on the Carolina team?  Some teams have them.  Some don't.  Who helped the Penguins win the Cup?  And yes, of course I saw that great pass.  11 games in, he has made one great pass.  To the Hall of Fame he goes!
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOT

Joey Kocur X 2

Not saying he belongs in the hall of fame but I think he is important to this bruins team for what he brings in emotion and his willingness to drop the gloves to try to provide a spark to this team. Last playoffs I was one of the fans always calling for him to be benched but you know what? I don't think we come back and beat the nucks in the finals if he isn;t inserted back into the lineup. The comeback was started with his attitude in game 3 he was like a mad man and I think he brought the intensity level up of the entire team. There have ban many teams that have had guys like thorton or a marchand. Names off the top of my head I can think of without doing any research would be Ulf, Claude, Mcsorley, and Cooke. I hate all those guys but I think they all played vital roles on their teams winning titles. Thorton now has 2 rings now. I guess my question to you is do you think the bruins win the cup last season without either marchand or thorton? I know you hate both of them but honestly do we win the cup last year without either of them?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

[QUOTE]Joey Kocur was a shell of himself on those teams.  63 games, 92 PIM is hardly skating clown material in the 90's.  Brashear had almost 400 PIM.  Marchand isn't in this discussion.  He's a highly skilled player.  He skates like the wind, has great awareness at both ends and has a beautiful shot.  I don't like him because he's a dirty punk. Do the B's win the Cup without Thornton?  It's a common retort for those rushing to his defense.  The answer is: unknown.  It didn't happen and the same exact circumstances won't happen again.  It's pointless.  I have no answer because there is no answer. I don't see how Ulf, Claude, Mcsorley, and Cooke enter the conversation.   None of them are skating clowns.  They were/are skilled players.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

To the thorton thing your right it is unknown but in my opinion without him they don't win it.

Kocur I remember as a "goon" I mentioned the other players because you could say they were all punks to put it lightly as well as your boy marchand.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Joey Kocur was a shell of himself on those teams.  63 games, 92 PIM is hardly skating clown material in the 90's.  Brashear had almost 400 PIM. 

Marchand isn't in this discussion.  He's a highly skilled player.  He skates like the wind, has great awareness at both ends and has a beautiful shot.  I don't like him because he's a dirty punk.

Do the B's win the Cup without Thornton?  It's a common retort for those rushing to his defense.  The answer is: unknown.  It didn't happen and the same exact circumstances won't happen again.  It's pointless.  I have no answer because there is no answer.

I don't see how Ulf, Claude, Mcsorley, and Cooke enter the conversation.   None of them are skating clowns.  They were/are skilled players.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]You mean to tell me that Thornton fought another 4th line guy who is primarily a fighter-type, in a Bruins game?? Sound the alarm!  What is definitely needed, is a new thread every time this happens.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

Well, if you say so.  I wasn't planning on a new thread every time.  I skipped some already.  I'll try to get it done.  If I miss one, please pick up the slack.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

Yeah, the clown on clown fighting is a dumb sideshow, but as noted here by others, Thornton did make a sweet pass to Paille for an important goal.

He's also shown a pretty good shot in the past and contributes more importantly a ton of energy at times when it's lacking from other players---which was quite noticeable at times in last year's playoff run when it really mattered. He was a positive difference maker.

Put another way: If you had the choice between keeping Thornton and his occasional circus dust-ups with occasional offensive contributions or Pouliot winning the Lady Bing along with his complete absence of any discernible hockey talent, which would you choose?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Neecic. Show Neecic's posts

question to anyone who cares about this debate who plays hockey from beer league to semi-pro.  Every team in every level has "that guy" on their team, the tough guy.  2 questions, do you love that guy?  and do you play with more confidence because he's there?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Clown vs. Clown : To the thorton thing your right it is unknown but in my opinion without him they don't win it. Kocur I remember as a "goon" I mentioned the other players because you could say they were all punks to put it lightly as well as your boy marchand.
    Posted by LUCICmilan17[/QUOTE]

The thread isn't about Marchand.

And Kocur was a total goon, but at the end of his career, he wasn't.  In the years that Detroit won those Cups, he had eight total fights, four in each.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Griswal65. Show Griswal65's posts

The "best evidence rule" says that we won the Cup with Thornton, so that prevails in the absence of any certainties to the contrary. Life is mostly about probablities, not certainties, and it's highly probable that his role in the finals contributed to taking the whole ball of wax....

With the reputation this organization carved out for itself in the mid 70s, they could never win without a team that is balanced with toughness. They'd simply have too big a bullseye on their chest, and their skilled players would be targeted far more than they are now; hence the analogy to Detroit is not a  valid one ( although Detroit was big and bad for awhile...).

Sorry NAS, you lose, but the Bs won the Cup, and that's what counts...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Clown or no Clown. Who cares ? It did seem like the fight was the TSN turning point in the game. Who knows for sure. I like to think that the Bruins were going to win that night because they showed up to work. And if they continue to come to the rink to work, Clown or no Clown, they are going to win more than they lose.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Awry. Show Awry's posts

Thornton is only 'fighting' his buddies. Some might call it, 'collusion'.

The only fighting Shawn Thornton is really doing is for relevance. It's sad. And what's worse, WE perpetuate it.

Fighting - as in every real sport - should result in instant ejection - THAT would, at least, make the fights actually mean something
    (Is that even possible? A fight meaning something?)

Michael Vick went to jail for sponsoring this kind of activity

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Thornton is only 'fighting' his buddies. Some might call it, 'collusion'. The only fighting Shawn Thornton is really doing is for relevance. It's sad. And what's worse, WE perpetuate it. Fighting - as in every real sport - should result in instant ejection - THAT would, at least, make the fights actually mean something (Is that even possible? A fight meaning something?) Michael Vick went to jail for sponsoring this kind of activity
    Posted by Awry[/QUOTE]
    While I agree with your opening statement, I have to disagree with the rest. There are other real sports that involve fighting (lacrosse or the obvious boxing and martial arts). Comparing 2 men who CHOOSE to battle each other with dogs FORCED to fight for profit is off base. Not to minimize your opinion but don't you think fighting would already be banned in hockey if it wasn't something the majority of fans enjoy?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from matttt87. Show matttt87's posts

[QUOTE]Thornton is only 'fighting' his buddies. Some might call it, 'collusion'. The only fighting Shawn Thornton is really doing is for relevance. It's sad. And what's worse, WE perpetuate it. Fighting - as in every real sport - should result in instant ejection - THAT would, at least, make the fights actually mean something (Is that even possible? A fight meaning something?) Michael Vick went to jail for sponsoring this kind of activity
    Posted by Awry[/QUOTE]

Did I miss something? Was Konopka or Thornton hung or drowned after the game, or tortured in any way?

What an awful comparison.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

I'm starting to warm up to NAS's position here.

I enjoy a good scrap, one that is spontaneous and lively.

Pre-stage fights might be entertaining, but don't really make any sense to me anyone.  A player should not have to fight simply because he lays on a good hit on a player, star player or not.

With the rules on instigating, I think you're better off having players that are tough enough to finish their checks and not afraid to take hits and can actually play the game.  I'm not really sure you can really intimidate teams any more.

IMHO you need to keep good open-ice (non-head shot) hits in the league.  You don't see too many players that can still deliver those kind of hits (Boychuk and Phaneuf are two that come to mind).  If, say, Boychuk lays out someone with a clean hit and some clown tries to retaliate by fighting him or taking a cheap shot right after the whistle, they should increase the penalty for that.  I hate it when fans think you need to defend the honour of the team when one of your players gets laid out on a good check.  Keep your head up.  Head shot, that's a different issue altogether and I applaud teammates who come to the aid of a teammate that has been illegally hit and hurt.

I don't think enforcers can actually protect star players anymore in the same way as it was done in years past.  The role looks to be diminishing.

Note:  Leafs, currently first overall, have only dressed Orr in 2 games and Rosehill in 4 games (although they may be in the lineup on Saturday...hope not).

Their 4th line is very fast with some skill.

Regards

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mohawkbruin1. Show mohawkbruin1's posts

In Response to Clown vs. Clown:
    [QUOTE]Thornton vs. Konopka Boy, that was great.  It was nice how they talked about it first.  It was also nice how they talked about it afterward. Boy, that was nice.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

You have some great posts at times, but why dont u take your dress off now and be a man, we get it you dont like Thornton and u dont like fighting, boohoo cry me a river, how did the bruins end up your team, they dont seem to fit your mold?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mohawkbruin1. Show mohawkbruin1's posts

[QUOTE]I'm starting to warm up to NAS's position here. I enjoy a good scrap, one that is spontaneous and lively. Pre-stage fights might be entertaining, but don't really make any sense to me anyone.  A player should not have to fight simply because he lays on a good hit on a player, star player or not. With the rules on instigating, I think you're better off having players that are tough enough to finish their checks and not afraid to take hits and can actually play the game.  I'm not really sure you can really intimidate teams any more. IMHO you need to keep good open-ice (non-head shot) hits in the league.  You don't see too many players that can still deliver those kind of hits (Boychuk and Phaneuf are two that come to mind).  If, say, Boychuk lays out someone with a clean hit and some clown tries to retaliate by fighting him or taking a cheap shot right after the whistle, they should increase the penalty for that.  I hate it when fans think you need to defend the honour of the team when one of your players gets laid out on a good check.  Keep your head up.  Head shot, that's a different issue altogether and I applaud teammates who come to the aid of a teammate that has been illegally hit and hurt. I don't think enforcers can actually protect star players anymore in the same way as it was done in years past.  The role looks to be diminishing. Note:  Leafs, currently first overall, have only dressed Orr in 2 games and Rosehill in 4 games (although they may be in the lineup on Saturday...hope not). Their 4th line is very fast with some skill. Regards
    Posted by LoveRealHockey[/QUOTE]

HOPE NOT? now that is a joke, better take your dress off as well,

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

[QUOTE]I'm starting to warm up to NAS's position here. I enjoy a good scrap, one that is spontaneous and lively. Pre-stage fights might be entertaining, but don't really make any sense to me anyone.  A player should not have to fight simply because he lays on a good hit on a player, star player or not. With the rules on instigating, I think you're better off having players that are tough enough to finish their checks and not afraid to take hits and can actually play the game.  I'm not really sure you can really intimidate teams any more. IMHO you need to keep good open-ice (non-head shot) hits in the league.  You don't see too many players that can still deliver those kind of hits (Boychuk and Phaneuf are two that come to mind).  If, say, Boychuk lays out someone with a clean hit and some clown tries to retaliate by fighting him or taking a cheap shot right after the whistle, they should increase the penalty for that.  I hate it when fans think you need to defend the honour of the team when one of your players gets laid out on a good check.  Keep your head up.  Head shot, that's a different issue altogether and I applaud teammates who come to the aid of a teammate that has been illegally hit and hurt. I don't think enforcers can actually protect star players anymore in the same way as it was done in years past.  The role looks to be diminishing. Note:  Leafs, currently first overall, have only dressed Orr in 2 games and Rosehill in 4 games (although they may be in the lineup on Saturday...hope not). Their 4th line is very fast with some skill. Regards
    Posted by LoveRealHockey[/QUOTE]

On one hand you are saying that you can't intimidate anymore, but on the other you are implying that the Bruins do intimidate the Leafs by saying that Rosehill & Orr may be in the game Saturday night.  Am I reading htis correctly?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Clown vs. Clown : On one hand you are saying that you can't intimidate anymore, but on the other you are implying that the Bruins do intimidate the Leafs by saying that Rosehill & Orr may be in the game Saturday night.  Am I reading htis correctly?
    Posted by MeanE[/QUOTE]
    It's just my opinion, it might not be shared by others or even Leaf coaching for that matter.  If Orr and/or Rosehill dress then the Leaf 4th line will not be nearly as effective as it has been and the Leafs may end up taking more penalties as a result with the worst (or closest) PK in the league.

I look at Detroit and think more teams should follow that model. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Clown vs. Clown : HOPE NOT? now that is a joke, better take your dress off as well,
    Posted by mohawk_bruin[/QUOTE]
    What I was trying to say is that I love fights in the NHL, but not ones that are staged between 2 guys that play 5 minutes a game.  Don't see the point, don't see what it accomplishes.

I think that's was NAS was commenting on (correct me if I'm wrong)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

If, say, Boychuk lays out someone with a clean hit and some clown tries to retaliate by fighting him or taking a cheap shot right after the whistle, they should increase the penalty for that.  I hate it when fans think you need to defend the honour of the team when one of your players gets laid out on a good check. 

Has the history of the game ever been different?  I mean back in the original six days if a guy got drilled with a clean hit, I am pretty sure the game didn't just continue on without even an eyebrow raised from the other team. 

I wasn't able to witness original 6 hockey but my guess is a big clean hit would still bring some type of response from the other team and if it didn't, your team has bigger issues.  This notion today that big hits and I am not talking about the average rub out either, should just be allowed to occur with zero response makes no sense to me.  Now I am talking about the kind of hit that you know just took a toll on the other player and hurt him.  When a team mate knows another teammate has been hurt (clean or not), the typical mentality is to stick up for that team mate.  It is what it is.  If you don't want the other team to respond, don't go around the ice trying to clock guys (clean or not).  I got no problem with the big clean hit and I also have no problem with a teammate coming into to aid/defend his brother after he gets drilled, even if it is clean.  It's a fine line as you don't want to put your team down a man but some type of message needs to be sent for down the road.  It's competitive hockey at the highest level being played by emotional men.  Why are we forgetting that?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

[QUOTE]I am 100% convinced that Thornton and a few others played a role in intimidating the Nucks in the Final. 
    Posted by misterpaulo[/QUOTE]
    Agreed, but not because of fighting and especially not because of any staged fights.

They intimidated them based on strong, relentless and punishing hitting.

That is tough hockey at it's best.  They wore them down and the Canuck players started to play softer as the series wore on because of the relentless hitting.  In that sense, I thought Thorton was doing a great job in that series.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

I am 100% convinced that Thornton and a few others played a role in intimidating the Nucks in the Final.