COACHING STAFF ACTUALLY HAS DONE A GREAT JOB

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins8. Show bruins8's posts

COACHING STAFF ACTUALLY HAS DONE A GREAT JOB

alot of people are on julien and the staff but personally i think the bs #3 in conference is atributed to the staff...think about it...while deep the bs dont have a #1 center, they dont have an elite goal scorer, and have many very young inexperience guys in the lineup, also on d we have chara and kaberle (now) but the other 4-5 while solid are not true studs back there, the system claude has used has been effective and while it may drive fans crazy at times the results speak for themselve 40-22-10 is pretty good for the roster he's had... we can say his style doesnt win the playoffs, but is that really true? we won the 1st rd the past 2 years and with 1 goal in either series we wouldve won the 2nd rd, i still maintain if krejci was in the lineup we wouldve pulled out the flyer series, but all in all i think claude is doing a very good job...  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: COACHING STAFF ACTUALLY HAS DONE A GREAT JOB

With the talent the Bruins have they should have allot more points cruising into the playoffs and be a ton better on the powerplay. Look at how far the PK has diminished teams almost score at will that's all coaching.

If I were Chiarelli I would fire Geoff Ward bring in Scott Gordon to fire a warning shot right by Clode's thick stubborn head. Twice the Devils almost tied it at 2-2 in the third. Ryder gets another pass after Paille had one of his best games against the Leafs. Julien is not off the hook because the Bruins won A game after getting embarrassed by the Leafs not in my view.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

could be worse...could be better...it is what it is....let's beat those freakin  Habs and take em out in 4 in the first round....let's talk hockey changes in the off season....go bruins go ....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bleedinblackandgold. Show Bleedinblackandgold's posts

I dont think they've been "great" but I certianly dont think they've been nearly as bad as some people here have been screaming about

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtassinarisoccer. Show jtassinarisoccer's posts

amazing (and funny/predictable)...one win and now the coaching staff is "great".  Classic die-hard RAH RAH garbage

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I think they are among the best coaching staffs in the game.  The best I have seen coach the Bruins.  I have disliked almost every other coach.  If you get frustrated by them, you should try being the fan of an opposing team.  The Bruins are very difficult to play against.  Seeing the progression of young players has also been great.  Krejci, Lucic, Marchand and now Seguin.  Not to mention the handfull of young D that have stepped in.  And they play physical and score lots of goals to boot.  Fun to watch.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

For myself evaluating the coaching staff, and disregarding the wins and losses I look at;
    players
    - is he getting all he can out of them?
    - are they underachieving or underachieving?
    - are they disciplined?
    - any floating going on?

bench minors
    - don't care what anyone says, the brunt of responsibility is the coach.

intangible section
    Fred Shero, Muckler (back in the day), Laviolette, Gordon and Maurice have all gotten me out of my seat like Seguin's last goal where I thought - wow - that was a smart thing to do, a ballsy thing to do.

I remember a Shero Flyers game where they were down by a couple - it was end of 2nd or beginning of 3 and they had a pp - Shero pulled the goalie.  gutsy move, I recall it worked.

Line mixups and matchups and time outs that make me say to myself 'that was a good move'.

CJ never does that for me.  Neither does Tortorella.  both are good coaches, but the Bruins now need more than just good.  They have to get the next level of coach.

So "GREAT" job, I disagree.  I will say a "GOOD" job.  And is "GOOD" is - well... good!  But "GREAT" is better.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Some of you must be talking about some other team than the Bruins. This coaching staff has no clue on developing young players. Houda has had more uncovered break-ins because of slow defensive changes than any previous coach. Goeff Ward has spent all year devising a PP approach, and finally has suggested that the Bruins do the same as other teams, and skate, keep moving, stop standing around; that is not considered good coaching. Claude's decisions are rarely positive, and , until last night, any flexibility in line changes did not exist. Finally after 70 ganes Claude sits Ryder. Finally, after 70 games Claude pairs up Seguin with fast, experienced skaters; How many more indications of innefective coaching are necessary?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

How about wins, loses, goals against, goals for.  These are all in strong contradiction to everything you just said.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

If you have the horses you don't have to be much of a coach to win, and that goes as far as the Stanley cup.

Harry Sinden himself said he had to little more than call out lines and open and shut the door with that team with Orr, Espo & etc.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JYaso. Show JYaso's posts

www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=d427746fed41eab6f633f3ce9c94b9db&plckUserId=d427746fed41eab6f633f3ce9c94b9db">
    First: 8/19/2010
    Last: 3/23/2011
    How about wins, loses, goals against, goals for.  These are all in strong contradiction to everything you just said.

You need to take your blinders off.  Did you ever think that with proper coaching this team could be in a lot better shape then struggling to win its own division?  Stats do not always translate one way or the other, but visuals do.  What most people see is what Bogie6 is saying and you are in the small minority that thinks that this coaching staff is doing a good job.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

I think this coaching staff is horrid. How many no shows does this team have where they play flat and don't play hard. The powerplay is a joke we get about a goal a month. I think this team has more than enough talent to be one of the elite. They have misused Seguin all year I could go on but this would be beating a dead horse. D to D dump and chase play the 4th line too late in games when down a goal ect.......

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SteveM. Show SteveM's posts

I have to assume that someone on the coaching staff is responsible for the power play, or lack thereof.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from daPope. Show daPope's posts

Good humor!  No the B's don't have a sniper....because the snipers are too busy trying to figure out the system or skating off for an ill advised line change or sitting out for a bench minor.  This coaching staff has a very talented group of players who are skating around looking confused about what to do.  If they lose to the Habs tomorrow evening I hope someone has the good sense to fire them...or at least Elmer.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I think coaching has put this team in a position to win the division, not held it back from running away with it.  People who know nothing about hockey always shout four things.  'Shoot the damn puck!'  'Hit em!'  'Make a trade already!'and  'Fire the stupid coach!'  Even if I am in the minority, I guess I'm in with the group that saw fit to award CJ coach of the year or to recruit his top assistant to bring his system to Atlanta.  I really don't know what you think a different coach would do.  Have even better defense?  Have Lucic score 50?  Prevent concussions to Krejci and Savard?  Put Seguin in some sort of time machine where he would come out 21 years old instead of 18?

In Response to Re: COACHING STAFF ACTUALLY HAS DONE A GREAT JOB:
    [QUOTE]www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=d427746fed41eab6f633f3ce9c94b9db&plckUserId=d427746fed41eab6f633f3ce9c94b9db " /> OatesCam Posts: 246 First: 8/19/2010 Last: 3/23/2011 How about wins, loses, goals against, goals for.  These are all in strong contradiction to everything you just said. You need to take your blinders off.  Did you ever think that with proper coaching this team could be in a lot better shape then struggling to win its own division?  Stats do not always translate one way or the other, but visuals do.  What most people see is what Bogie6 is saying and you are in the small minority that thinks that this coaching staff is doing a good job.
    Posted by JYaso[/QUOTE]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]I think coaching has put this team in a position to win the division, not held it back from running away with it.  People who know nothing about hockey always shout four things.  'Shoot the damn puck!'  'Hit em!'  'Make a trade already!'and  'Fire the stupid coach!'  Even if I am in the minority, I guess I'm in with the group that saw fit to award CJ coach of the year or to recruit his top assistant to bring his system to Atlanta.  I really don't know what you think a different coach would do.  Have even better defense?  Have Lucic score 50?  Prevent concussions to Krejci and Savard?  Put Seguin in some sort of time machine where he would come out 21 years old instead of 18? In Response to Re: COACHING STAFF ACTUALLY HAS DONE A GREAT JOB :
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]
    All good points.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SteveM. Show SteveM's posts

[QUOTE]People who know nothing about hockey always shout four things.  'Shoot the damn puck!'  'Hit em!'  'Make a trade already!'and  'Fire the stupid coach!'  Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]
    "Pass the puck!", "Go around him!", "This roster is the best!" and "Sign the coach to an extension!". C'mon expert.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JYaso. Show JYaso's posts

I think coaching has put this team in a position to win the division, not held it back from running away with it.  People who know nothing about hockey always shout four things.  'Shoot the damn puck!'  'Hit em!'  'Make a trade already!'and  'Fire the stupid coach!'  Even if I am in the minority, I guess I'm in with the group that saw fit to award CJ coach of the year or to recruit his top assistant to bring his system to Atlanta.  I really don't know what you think a different coach would do.  Have even better defense?  Have Lucic score 50?  Prevent concussions to Krejci and Savard?  Put Seguin in some sort of time machine where he would come out 21 years old instead of 18?

Were you watching in the 08-09 Playoffs when Paul Maurice schooled Julien and his system.  How about last year when Laviolette did same thing by adjusting to CJ's System.  I'm not saying he is a horrible coach, but he needs to adjust to what teams are doing to combat what those teams are doing.  This is something that he has been unable or to stubborn to do.  They have totally mishandled Seguin all year and he FINALLY has figured out that his skill set dictates playing with other players with skill and putting him on the PP.  How long did that take--- 70 games???

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shadowcpt. Show Shadowcpt's posts

In Response to COACHING STAFF ACTUALLY HAS DONE A GREAT JOB:
    [QUOTE]alot of people are on julien and the staff but personally i think the bs #3 in conference is atributed to the staff...think about it...while deep the bs dont have a #1 center, they dont have an elite goal scorer, and have many very young inexperience guys in the lineup, also on d we have chara and kaberle (now) but the other 4-5 while solid are not true studs back there, the system claude has used has been effective and while it may drive fans crazy at times the results speak for themselve 40-22-10 is pretty good for the roster he's had... we can say his style doesnt win the playoffs, but is that really true? we won the 1st rd the past 2 years and with 1 goal in either series we wouldve won the 2nd rd, i still maintain if krejci was in the lineup we wouldve pulled out the flyer series, but all in all i think claude is doing a very good job...  
    Posted by bruins8[/QUOTE]

Good points but here's how I believe Julien should be judged, playoff performance. With the talent the Bruins have they are just about where they should be. Now lets see how the team performs in this years playoff. I feel if they don't at least reach the conference championship then they have under performed and Chiarelli and Julien should be given first class tickets out of town. Sorry, but we can't be satisfied with the same ole, same ole year after year. For cryin out loud Carolina won the damn cup a few years back, CAROLINA!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrHulot. Show MrHulot's posts

Claude Julien was good - more than two years ago, when he led the Bruins through a fantastic regular season. Gotta give him credit for that. But he was far from perfect even then, and in the meantime the rest of the league has adjusted to his system and exposed its flaws numerous times, while he has shown a stubbornness beyond belief and a severe lack of imagination and flexibility. His defensive approach may work at times - when his goalies will stand on their heads, like Tuukka did last year and Tim Thomas is doing most of this season. But how good is a "defensive" system when you still give up more than 30 shots each game? The Bruins' transition game mainly consists of two d-men endlessly reversing the puck behind their own goal, as if they're hoping that opposing forecheckers will get dizzy and give up, and the power play - under the "thoughtful guidance" of nondescript Geoff Ward, whose employment by the Bruins (like Michael Ryder's) is another product of Julien's nepotism - is so abysmal that they went more than a month without scoring a goal on the man-advantage. But the most obvious thing about the ineptness of the Bruins' coaching staff is this team's maddening inconsistency; they come out flat one night while they appear to stop skating after one or two periods in the next game. Julien apologists will of course say that's solely the players' fault, that they're grown men and that they should work hard for their money day-in, day-out - well, if that would apply, then they wouldn't need a coach at all, right? Just imagine Jeremy Jacobs jumping onto that idea - he could save millions!
    I know that the Bruins are currently first in the Northeast division, that they will most likely make the playoffs, that they're a little better than last year, but this team - with TT, Z, Bergie, Looch, etc - could be so much better - no more listless nights, indifferent performances (and "Gliding 101" by the coach's favorite player). If you're content with what you'll get with Claude Julien behind the bench (see above), then stick with him. He will get some results, but he will also never win the big one for you. But if you want to win it all, changes have to be made.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

[QUOTE]Claude Julien was good - more than two years ago, when he led the Bruins through a fantastic regular season. Gotta give him credit for that. But he was far from perfect even then, and in the meantime the rest of the league has adjusted to his system and exposed its flaws numerous times, while he has shown a stubbornness beyond belief and a severe lack of imagination and flexibility. His defensive approach may work at times - when his goalies will stand on their heads, like Tuukka did last year and Tim Thomas is doing most of this season. But how good is a "defensive" system when you still give up more than 30 shots each game? The Bruins' transition game mainly consists of two d-men endlessly reversing the puck behind their own goal, as if they're hoping that opposing forecheckers will get dizzy and give up, and the power play - under the "thoughtful guidance" of nondescript Geoff Ward, whose employment by the Bruins (like Michael Ryder's) is another product of Julien's nepotism - is so abysmal that they went more than a month without scoring a goal on the man-advantage. But the most obvious thing about the ineptness of the Bruins' coaching staff is this team's maddening inconsistency; they come out flat one night while they appear to stop skating after one or two periods in the next game. Julien apologists will of course say that's solely the players' fault, that they're grown men and that they should work hard for their money day-in, day-out - well, if that would apply, then they wouldn't need a coach at all, right? Just imagine Jeremy Jacobs jumping onto that idea - he could save millions! I know that the Bruins are currently first in the Northeast division, that they will most likely make the playoffs, that they're a little better than last year, but this team - with TT, Z, Bergie, Looch, etc - could be so much better - no more listless nights, indifferent performances (and "Gliding 101" by the coach's favorite player). If you're content with what you'll get with Claude Julien behind the bench (see above), then stick with him. He will get some results, but he will also never win the big one for you. But if you want to win it all, changes have to be made.
    Posted by MrHulot[/QUOTE]

Great post amen

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobbyOrrAlumni. Show BobbyOrrAlumni's posts

[QUOTE]Some of you must be talking about some other team than the Bruins. This coaching staff has no clue on developing young players. Houda has had more uncovered break-ins because of slow defensive changes than any previous coach. Goeff Ward has spent all year devising a PP approach, and finally has suggested that the Bruins do the same as other teams, and skate, keep moving, stop standing around; that is not considered good coaching. Claude's decisions are rarely positive, and , until last night, any flexibility in line changes did not exist. Finally after 70 ganes Claude sits Ryder. Finally, after 70 games Claude pairs up Seguin with fast, experienced skaters; How many more indications of innefective coaching are necessary?
    Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]

The bulk of development for young players has to come from the farm team experience. The NHL is a busienss not a kindergarten. It's not Claude's job to develop the players. His job is to win as many games as her can with the roster Chiarelli gives him. 

Having said this, I don't like Claude's style and strategy. We have a big team that needs to be aggressive and 'in your face' game after game.  Don Cherry would have won 5 stanley cups in the 80's had coached this team back then.

The type of team we have does not cmpliment Claude's strategy !

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Kind of on the fence here, but the logic I'm reading regarding the bad...is making me lean a little to the good.
    Many cite the teams inconsistency as a coaching problem.
    They're somewhat correct, however, inconsistency is a problem every NHL team struggles with.  All teams have slumps.  No team has their A game going every night.  I don't see the B's being any more inconsistent than anyone else in the top 10.
     I hear people say the coach needs to go, because he stifles offense, yet he coached the most offensive team in the league 2 years ago, and is solidly in the upper echelon this year.
    I hear that the coach is not flexible.  It sometimes may "APPEAR' that way, but truth is...we have no idea.  We don't know that he isn't following suggestions from his players or the managment group(teams are coached by commitee including GM's, owners, etc).  We only know he is paying no attention to us.

I see this group as a good team, playing a good team game.  Man for man,... it ain't great, but what it lacks in greatness, it makes up for in balance.  We need that scorer...but he's in the house.... we'll have him in a couple years.

Although not thrilled with the coach, I can't say coaching is of great concern to me right now.

How far the team goes in the playoffs dictating the coaches future?  I never could understand that one from a competitive standpoint.  I can understand it from a business side, as it allows the GM to deflect the blame from himself, and buy some time, before the axe inevitably falls on his head...sometime down the road.  The B's could easily get to the conference finals.  They could just as easily go out in the first round.  The key, is objectively looking back and making appropriate, insightful change as opposed to knee jerk, spectacular, explosive change.  
    Look at the Bruins in 70, and 72.  Then look at 71.  When the emotion of the moment settles down, and people begin to think more clearly, it's easy to see in this instance, what the problem wasn't.  You don't clean house just because you lose.  You don't necessarily fire the coach.  You figure out what the problem was.  If you figure it out correctly, you improve your team.  If you don't....you don't improve your team.
    Any thoughts on what derailed the B's in the 71 playoffs?  Anyone really think it was coaching?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

well said Mr. Hulot

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]I think coaching has put this team in a position to win the division, not held it back from running away with it.  People who know nothing about hockey always shout four things.  'Shoot the damn puck!'  'Hit em!'  'Make a trade already!'and  'Fire the stupid coach!'  Even if I am in the minority, I guess I'm in with the group that saw fit to award CJ coach of the year or to recruit his top assistant to bring his system to Atlanta.  I really don't know what you think a different coach would do.  Have even better defense?  Have Lucic score 50?  Prevent concussions to Krejci and Savard?  Put Seguin in some sort of time machine where he would come out 21 years old instead of 18? Were you watching in the 08-09 Playoffs when Paul Maurice schooled Julien and his system.  How about last year when Laviolette did same thing by adjusting to CJ's System.  I'm not saying he is a horrible coach , but he needs to adjust to what teams are doing to combat what those teams are doing.  This is something that he has been unable or to stubborn to do.   They have totally mishandled Seguin all year and he FINALLY has figured out that his skill set dictates playing with other players with skill and putting him on the PP.  How long did that take--- 70 games???
    Posted by JYaso[/QUOTE]
    Not to be picky but I don't consider winning a series in OT of the 7th game to be "schooling" anybody.If anything,it was CJ that made adjustments when the team was down 3-1 in the series.If TT hadn't handed Walker an easy rebound,this conversation wouldn't happen.

Sections
Shortcuts