College Free Agents

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

College Free Agents

There's an interesting twist on the free agents this year - thanks to the lockout pushing back the trade deadline, they'll be playoff elligible if signed quickly enough as their season will end before the deadline. Are there any that the B's should look at for depth? Unlike most years the prized ones aren't small, in fact they're huge.

Here's four that McKenzie profiled on TSN today. Any the B's should pursue?

McKenzie: Big is the operative word. There are a lot of really big, strong, physical college free agents that are going to become available as soon as their college seasons end. The first one is Kellan Lain from Lake Superior State, a 6'6 centre. This is a guy that in the next number of days is going to choose a team, probably in the Western Conference. Teams like Anaheim, Vancouver, and Phoenix are interested, but he's not among the top three guys that I have as a consensus from NHL teams.

That would be this group: Danny Dekeyser, who everybody wanted to come out of Western Michigan last year. Eight NHL general managers have been in to see the 6'3 mobile defenceman in the last couple of weeks. I think that Detroit, St. Louis, and Tampa Bay are among the frontrunners for Dekeyser; he's high profile.

Andrej Sustr, a 6'8 Czech defenceman who plays at Nebraska-Omaha, is on the All-WCHA team this year. Lots of teams are lining up to get him signed as soon as his season ends.

And Montreal-area product Antoine Laganiere from Yale is a big winger – 6'4, 215 lbs – who projects as a third- or fourth-liner.

This year's college free agent crop is not outstanding, but Dekeyser is the best of that group.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

Re: College Free Agents

Are there any 5'9" 170 lb defenseman?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Just as long as there aren't any Fighting Sioux-Sies on that list...

4uxdno_medium

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLrmpW7vHrc

Johnny "Hockey" Gaudreau 2013 World Juniors Master!

PS. Seriously though, love to see PC go after Dekeyser!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

PS. Seriously though, love to see PC go after Dekeyser!

I wouldn't mind Sustr either - if you're a young D who's built more like an NBA power forward than a hockey player, who better to learn how to use your size to your best advantage from than Zdeno Chara?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

The only one I've seen play this year is Laganiere, and meh...ho hum.

I'm just gonna assume that the price for Dekeyser and Sustr will be too high given the open market bidding that takes place for these guys.  Plus the teams with immediate roster spots/playing time for these guys have such an advantage.  Could PC possibly offer them a one-way deal?  No.  Especially not if Yetiberg is coming over looking for ice time in Boston too.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I was told and read that the Krug negotiations were a battle against other GMs. Krug has been on Fiyah the last 3 months. Not going to get Chiarelli off his love for fellow College Defenseman that's for sure.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

A couple years ago, the Sens added collegiates Greening, Condra and Butler. Two of them are important cogs in their current system. This route can be fruitful.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

A couple years ago, the Sens added collegiates Greening, Condra and Butler. Two of them are important cogs in their current system. This route can be fruitful.

Ya, but Burkie signed a few when he came to T.O., and they went nowhere. 

Having said that, any asset is a good asset. You knever know. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to perrysound's comment:

And you are surprised about that, Perry? :) Leave it to the Buds to screw things up!

Janney, Joyce, Juneau, Donato, Heinze....not so horrible.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to perrysound's comment:

In response to jmwalters' comment:

Having said that, any asset is a good asset. You knever know. 

Wait.  Tyler Bozak -- he was a very good collegiate signing by Burke.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Any defenseman majoring in puck moving?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

Wait.  Tyler Bozak -- he was a very good collegiate signing by Burke.

[/QUOTE]

Decent, but with a high scoring winger like that for him to feed, you'd think the numbers would be a little better. He shows flashes of being really talented, but to me, 2nd line center, at best. Poor +- . And he's going to need a new contract soon, and someone will pay him $3 to 4mil for 4 years, which I think is crazy. 

But he is a full time NHL player from the NCAA, so he does qualify as a College free agent worth looking at. 

Most times the hype for these players is vastly greater than their actual production when they move to the NHL. Just my observation. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsGENIUS. Show bruinsGENIUS's posts

In response to red75's comment:

There's an interesting twist on the free agents this year - thanks to the lockout pushing back the trade deadline, they'll be playoff elligible if signed quickly enough as their season will end before the deadline. Are there any that the B's should look at for depth? Unlike most years the prized ones aren't small, in fact they're huge.

Here's four that McKenzie profiled on TSN today. Any the B's should pursue?

McKenzie: Big is the operative word. There are a lot of really big, strong, physical college free agents that are going to become available as soon as their college seasons end. The first one is Kellan Lain from Lake Superior State, a 6'6 centre. This is a guy that in the next number of days is going to choose a team, probably in the Western Conference. Teams like Anaheim, Vancouver, and Phoenix are interested, but he's not among the top three guys that I have as a consensus from NHL teams.

That would be this group: Danny Dekeyser, who everybody wanted to come out of Western Michigan last year. Eight NHL general managers have been in to see the 6'3 mobile defenceman in the last couple of weeks. I think that Detroit, St. Louis, and Tampa Bay are among the frontrunners for Dekeyser; he's high profile.

Andrej Sustr, a 6'8 Czech defenceman who plays at Nebraska-Omaha, is on the All-WCHA team this year. Lots of teams are lining up to get him signed as soon as his season ends.

And Montreal-area product Antoine Laganiere from Yale is a big winger – 6'4, 215 lbs – who projects as a third- or fourth-liner.

This year's college free agent crop is not outstanding, but Dekeyser is the best of that group.

That;s some good due diligence right there, well done.

I have watched both those guys you mention and either one would be welcome.

No more Don Sweeney midgets please, no disrespect intended by 5'9 on D doesn't get it done these days.