Colton Orr career may be over

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

Re: Colton Orr career may be over

In Response to Re: Colton Orr career may be over:
    [QUOTE]Kidding. I know what happened. And I don't know which concussion is more embarrassing to the NHL: Colton Orr's or Sidney Crosby's. Both make this look like a total Bush League, stuck in some bygone era where people still drive drunk and smoke on airplanes. Oh, if only we could teach man-eating lions to skate! Set the maximum number of skaters per roster at 17 instead of 18. 30 players who shouldn't be in the NHL wouldn't be. And the GM's who understand who those 30 players are, are the ones who will prosper and flourish.
    Posted by Awry[/QUOTE]
    I want all 30 goons and demand an expansion team.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Awry. Show Awry's posts

Cool. I have a suggestion for your team's name....

The Used

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Rick Middleton nailed it when he said we didn't use helmets because there wern't many head shots. Since the advent of helmets, Hard as rock shoulder and elbow pads, face masks, particularly in minor hockey, more and more serious head injuries have occurred. I coached for 20 years before all the masks and Harder pads emerged and we had very few, if any, serious upper body injuries. Players were taught to keep their sticks on the ice and still skate full speed. Have you ever noticed where Thornton's stick usually is flailing? O'Rielly, Jonathon, Wensink and the rest including Orr never wore helmets. Does that indicate that all this armor is less than necessary??

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Rick Middleton nailed it when he said we didn't use helmets because there wern't many head shots. Since the advent of helmets, Hard as rock shoulder and elbow pads, face masks, particularly in minor hockey, more and more serious head injuries have occurred. I coached for 20 years before all the masks and Harder pads emerged and we had very few, if any, serious upper body injuries. Players were taught to keep their sticks on the ice and still skate full speed. Have you ever noticed where Thornton's stick usually is flailing? O'Rielly, Jonathon, Wensink and the rest including Orr never wore helmets. Does that indicate that all this armor is less than necessary??
    Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]
    I've always felt the same Bogie.With the "advances" in equipment,todays generation of players feel invincible.While playing all through minor hockey with full cages,these players never felt the immediate need to keep their sticks on the ice for fear of hurting another player.I know that it's impossible to go back to the no-helmet era but I,for one,miss the days when players going into the corner remembered it was another human being that they were about to battle for the puck.All respect is gone in todays new and improved,concussion -era hockey.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustyisacat. Show dustyisacat's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colton Orr career may be over : Jay Rosehill can fill that role and isn't the leagues worst defenseman.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

You're right about him not being the leagues worst defenseman. Most of the NHL hockey world knows he has been playing forward. Apparently you aren't part of that group. LOL

Maybe you should try watching a game or two of the Leafs and Rosehill before you make comments like this.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]Rick Middleton nailed it when he said we didn't use helmets because there wern't many head shots. Since the advent of helmets, Hard as rock shoulder and elbow pads, face masks, particularly in minor hockey, more and more serious head injuries have occurred. I coached for 20 years before all the masks and Harder pads emerged and we had very few, if any, serious upper body injuries. Players were taught to keep their sticks on the ice and still skate full speed. Have you ever noticed where Thornton's stick usually is flailing? O'Rielly, Jonathon, Wensink and the rest including Orr never wore helmets. Does that indicate that all this armor is less than necessary??
    Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]

This is exactly it. Players probably feel invnicible in their armour and play with reckless abandon. Of course the exponential increase in team size and speed has contributed to this significantly....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colton Orr career may be over : You're right about him not being the leagues worst defenseman. Most of the NHL hockey world knows he has been playing forward. Apparently you aren't part of that group. LOL Maybe you should try watching a game or two of the Leafs and Rosehill before you make comments like this.
    Posted by dustyisacat[/QUOTE]

Oh the horror!  I can't believe I made a mistake!  Oh the shame, the shame, the shame!

Well, I guess I have two choices here.

#1  Spend six pages trying to explain why I am not wrong and when I am finally just too embarrassed and look so incredibly stupid I can't even face my peers, I'll blame you and then disappear for a month.

#2.  Man up.

Unlike the fraud Chowda, I'll man up.

Yep, totally made a mistake.  I'm not really sure why I thought Rosehill was a defenseman.  Thanks to everyone for pointing it out (and LOL to those who were very excited to do so).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colton Orr career may be over : Oh the horror!  I can't believe I made a mistake!  Oh the shame, the shame, the shame! Well, I guess I have two choices here. #1  Spend six pages trying to explain why I am not wrong and when I am finally just too embarrassed and look so incredibly stupid I can't even face my peers, I'll blame you and then disappear for a month. #2.  Man up. Unlike the fraud Chowda, I'll man up. Yep, totally made a mistake.  I'm not really sure why I thought Rosehill was a defenseman.  Thanks to everyone for pointing it out (and LOL to those who were very excited to do so).
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Boy your face must be red.

A couple of months ago I wrote a post about Marc Savard's career options at 35 (was kind of guessing and didn't look it up).  I think the next 4 responses ignored my entire post in the unbridled excitement of pointing out that Savard was, in fact, 34... 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Griswal65. Show Griswal65's posts

I would say immaterial minutia is actually the norm here, not the exception, as Fletch seems to point out....

Re Orr being a skating clown and a cheap shot artist, allegedly, it's unfortunate ( ironic within these boards maybe ? ) that it was the Bs organization that developed his toughness/truculence - they had him down in the minors for awhile grooming his as a pug.... I can remember the hype about the day he would be ready to restore order in the Hub after the likes of Dan Lacouture et al were unable to - lol

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

[QUOTE]Kidding. I know what happened. And I don't know which concussion is more embarrassing to the NHL: Colton Orr's or Sidney Crosby's. Both make this look like a total Bush League, stuck in some bygone era where people still drive drunk and smoke on airplanes. Oh, if only we could teach man-eating lions to skate! Set the maximum number of skaters per roster at 17 instead of 18. 30 players who shouldn't be in the NHL wouldn't be. And the GM's who understand who those 30 players are, are the ones who will prosper and flourish.
    Posted by Awry[/QUOTE]

i don't get that 17 instead of 18 players theory. it's not like teams can't find 18 good players to dress. right now, they choose the top 17 players based on talent and 1 based on his fighting abilities. if you drop teams to 17 players, they'd choose the top 16 based on talent and the 17th player would be a fighter.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colton Orr career may be over : i don't get that 17 instead of 18 players theory. it's not like teams can't find 18 good players to dress. right now, they choose the top 17 players based on talent and 1 based on his fighting abilities. if you drop teams to 17 players, they'd choose the top 16 based on talent and the 17th player would be a fighter.
    Posted by goodnewsbears[/QUOTE]

Many teams don't have a Clown.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]

This is rather amusing considering the story that Grapes told many times. Nifty got his bell rung pretty good one time in Chicago. He came to the bench a little wobbily. It was the play-offs & back then concussions weren't a concern, but Grapes went up to Nifty. "Hey Nifty; you OK?"
    "Yea, I'm alright!"
    "You sure Nifty; do you know where you are?"
    "Detroit?"
    "Close enough, your shift is up!"

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I don't ever wish or want anyone go through what Wayne Primeau is currnetly going through but I have little respect for Colton Orr after seeing him laugh on the bench after delivering his knee to knee to Logan Coture this season and his intentional running of Clemmenson I wasn't laughing. I could look up other Marty Mcsorley things Colton did as a Bruin but that would be pointless.

LRH, I respect your posts and hockey knowledge but I just can't agree when it comes to a thug like Orr who did indeed go after skaters he knew he could destroy. Colton finally got his due with Shelley and Engelland two men who Orr couln't bully.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Awry. Show Awry's posts

" i don't get that 17 instead of 18 players theory. it's not like teams can't find 18 good players to dress. right now, they choose the top 17 players based on talent and 1 based on his fighting abilities. if you drop teams to 17 players, they'd choose the top 16 based on talent and the 17th player would be a fighter."
    Posted by goodnewsbears

"Many teams don't have a Clown." - 'Not-A-Shot'

Yes. Detroit being a very good example.
    No fighters, just talent.
    There's all kinds of tough

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

[QUOTE]Cool. I have a suggestion for your team's name.... The Used
    Posted by Awry[/QUOTE]
    Thanks but that's a terrible hockey team name. I was thinking more a long the lines of the Blood Donors or the Don't tase me bro's.

Sections
Shortcuts